Not Your Average Joe's Needham
109 Chapel Street
Needham, MA 02492Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Needham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (781) 453-9300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Romano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Needham
Description: What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Needham - Best Restaurants in Needham ›
Not Your Average Joe's Needham reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)kid-friendly (43)great for lunch (40)good for groups (36)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (12)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Average food and just an all around average!mattlDined on 11/22/2014Been here now twice and I really want to love it but it just ends up being average food with not so great selections. This spot sits in Needham Center and is always pretty crowded and it does take reservations which is nice. The staff is friendly and tries to keep up with the amount of customers that stroll in. The menu here is similar to the other locations, just a mess of various entrees and appetizers from pizza to meatloaf to fish. They have a drink menu as well loaded with creative cocktails and beer etc. I ordered the Steak Frite and had the Thai lettuce wraps and a Cider Sangria. The one issue I see with this place is when it really comes down to it, this is not the greatest food. Steak was touch, Thai lettuce wraps were okay and Sangria left a bad taste in my mouth. Dessert was okay also, fried apple wrapped in dough with sugar and cinnamon. Prices are really cheap here which is good, but I would probably compare this to a Joe's Grill. Not some place I would run to eat, but I would go for a cheap quick bite. I just cannot say this place is the best.
- DodiVIPDined on 11/21/2014bread and oil the best. my friend had a flat bread with squash? and loved it. I had the chicken with panco crumbs and it was delicious. that's all we ate - plenty of food and we were very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKayCramVIPDined on 11/21/2014I ordered the Caesar salad and the dumplings. The dressing for the salad had to have been the worst Caesar dressing I've ever had. Then I had the dumplings. It looked like the food was put through a processer and then put in a wonton. Just wasn't impressed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TonibVIPDined on 11/18/2014Great place to meet friends for dinner and drinks in NeedhamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't go wrongtndkVIPDined on 11/14/2014love NYAJoe's, Needham location was packed. Our server Kevin was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightiheartcapecodDined on 11/14/2014Met a friend for "drinks and..." on Friday night. Had a reservation for 7:30, seated promptly. Our waiter was fantastic. We told him we were just hanging out, so he got our drinks and then checked in to see when we were ready to order. He was attentive but not pesty. Our order included tuna on caesar salad, the butternut squash flatbread, and the apple caramel dessert special. Everything was delicious. Even thought it was crowded, we didn't feel like it was too loud. Would definitely come back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentYumalotDined on 11/8/2014Excellent and delicious. Definitely a neighborhood fine.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Always love this place-food and servers are always great. The key lime pie is the best I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MACNatickVIPDined on 10/31/2014If you want good food at a reasonable price, this is the place to go. Our waiter was very good and very personable!
- Unusual experience this timeTAZmanDined on 10/30/2014Our normal experience at NYAJ's is one where the servers are great especially with the kids, but on this visit I was surprised that our usual request was rejected. Our daughter usually eats just a little bit of pasta but loves fruit so we ask that they give us just a small serving of pasta and a side of fruit that all the other kids meals come with. This is always responded with a "no problem". You'd think if you could get grilled chicken and fruit for $7 that for the same price you could get a few pennies worth of noodles and fruit. Our waitress said we would have to order the side of fruit as an extra for $3. The extra $3 won't kill me, but it's the lack of ability to adjust to the customer that bothered me. Just soured the mood.
- ExcellentTravelingDinerDined on 10/26/2014Have been coming here for years. Reasonably priced, service is excellent and food delicious.Special Features:
- Octoberfest in Needham!BostonEngineerDined on 10/25/2014Dont miss the Paulaner Octoberfest beer on tap - its outstanding.Special Features:
- COHNYAJoesDined on 10/24/2014We had dinner with 2 additional couples for a charity event our church is sponsoring this month. It's always a great spot to meetup with friends for great food and a great time.Special Features:
- Great food , well pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Have been a regular customer for years and the food selection is always interesting and very prepared. Reasonably priced. Nice wine list; howerever, very disappointed that William Hill Chardonay is not longer availableSpecial Features:
- NYAJ NeedhamDaveDined on 10/11/2014The waiter seemed so inexperienced that he could not successfully open a bottle of wine. It cracked, and had to be replaced, after a long delay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DIning Experiencerockguitar55Dined on 10/9/2014Nice atmosphere, great service and food. Salad and meatloaf was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KidsNYAJoesDined on 10/4/2014It was a great place to have lunch with our children.Special Features:
- Loved itmeme4934Dined on 10/3/2014We had a great experience at Not your average Joe's. Our server was Sheila and she was wonderful! She was warm, friendly and so experienced. We arrived at 5 PM (good time to go before the rush...) with two children, six of us in total. Nice area in the back to sit and not be in anyone's way. I ordered Salmon and it was delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals!! A wonderful place for our family to meet...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EM50VIPDined on 9/30/2014Our go to place in Needham. Dependable food, excellent service, always friendly.Special Features:
- My Family RestaurantshisslakDined on 9/28/2014My daughter and I always come here for our mother daughter evening out. NYAJ's Needham always has great food and great service. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Needham NYAJ disappointsLoveThatVIPDined on 9/22/2014Not equivalent to other locations. I was *so* excited to host my business meeting here, and would never return to this location. The greeter/host was snarky (it was a recent Tuesday, about 12pm) when I checked into my reservation which was so unexpected, and maybe negatively affected the rest of my experience. Server was good, attentive and kind. He tried really hard and I appreciated it. Salad was a great disappointment. Greens were not fresh, salmon was overcooked. Major disappointment.
- Fun eveningFionaVIPDined on 9/20/2014I went with my girl friends having just had the marvelous flounder with gouda polenta at your restaurant in Hyannis. I hyped it so that we all had it. While it was tasty I have to say it didn't hold a candle to the one on the Cape. The portion was much smaller and there was barely any polenta. That said - while I was disappointed - we all had a wonderful time and our server was very gracious. We of course will go back but I will be mindful that the tastes at one place might not be the same as at anotherSpecial Features:
- NYAJ's never disappointsmebismeDined on 9/17/2014One of my favorite places to eat but a distance from home. They took my favorite chipotle chicken salad off the menu a while ago but they offered to recreate it for me on Wednesday night. Delicious! Our waiter TJ was very professional and personable. I don't think you can go wrong here. There is enough variety on the menu to satisfy many different tastes and they use fresh local foods when possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerGrandmasandyDined on 9/15/2014Always come on my birthday good good and desserts are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYAJ,sMickeyDined on 9/14/2014Service was excellent. One of the three guests said his dish was really good(pork tenderloins), the meatloaf was over cooked and crusty, the person that had the ahi tuna salad would have preferred the tuna hot on top of the salad rather than from the fridge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodbhfoodreviewDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I go here for various anniversaries like birthdays and the wedding one. It is always excellent food. It isn't all that quiet but that doesn't detract from the resturant. It has really excellent food. I think it is also kid-friendly, hence also the noise level. The specials are always fantastic and their pizza is quite good too. I am a foodie. I love this place.Special Features:
- Consistently good local restaurantbalovestocookDined on 9/11/2014Nice to be able to make reservations, even for lunch. Place is looking old and worn. Waitress is not very welcoming but we go for the food. Delicious tomato basil soup and yummy salad options. Parking can be a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average JoeCTFLSnobirdVIPDined on 9/9/2014While the staff were friendly and generally prompt with service, I found the food to be mediocre. On the cold side when should have been warm (and I was near to the kitchen). I might try it again as th menu looks as though the food should be good!
- Good food, friendly serverseatoutoftenDined on 9/5/2014Our reservation was 7:45. Several tables of small children around us, some of which needed to be home as they were tired, cranky and quite noisy. Entree from the "Specials" menu - a pork loin roast, was delicious! House salads, on recent visits, have contained more of the lettuce "core"- which is not appetizing! Our server was great, very attentive, extremely friendly. NYAJ's almost always delivers a good meal from a friendly server.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Greeted promptly and in a friendly way. Seated quickly (we had a reservation). Asked for and received a booth. Had the fish special (sole with spinach and a red pepper sauce). It was perfectly cooked and delicious . Wish it could be on the menu permanently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super PlaceYumalotDined on 9/5/2014Great eats at a resonable price - Casual atmosphere with 5 star quality food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceTonibVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a great dinning experience wih at Joe's Bobby our server was very attentive and made some great recommendations.Special Features:
- Wide varietyFantasticVIPDined on 8/20/2014One if the great thing about Joe's is there is something for everyone. Tonight our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time and I'll be BackLexiDined on 8/19/2014I'd never been here before and it proved to be as good as the reviews said!Special Features:
- OutonthetownDined on 8/16/2014Very attentive service. Patient with young children suggesting alternatives for them and being flexible with changes to the listed items on menu to satisfy the children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungry in needhamhappyandsatedVIPDined on 8/15/2014I always can count on NYAJ for consistent food and service. The birthday coupons are extremely generous. Seasonal menu offerings keeps the offerings fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great place to visitTAZmanDined on 8/15/2014Food is consistently good. Wait staff is almost always outstanding. Every place will have a few folks that are subpar, but the average waiters/waitresses here are outstanding. They just have a great attitude and are attentive.Special Features:
- This was a very improptune dinnerTonibVIPDined on 8/12/2014Our serve Glen was very attentive. Very knoweledgeable about special and other offeringsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014had a good time with the friends that joined us. good food and very good service, we'll return there soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Food is good and proper portions, the service was very good, a bit noisy but upbeat and good for a quick meal.Special Features:
- The following 416 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Needham reviews archive.