Not Your Average Joe's Methuen
90 Pleasant Valley Street
Methuen, MA 01844Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Methuen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (978) 974-0015
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Henning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Get started on your holiday shopping with Not Your Average Joe's gift cards. Buy $50 and get $10 in Appreciation cards free.
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Methuen
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Not Your Average Joe's Methuen - Best Restaurants in Methuen ›
Not Your Average Joe's Methuen reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (50)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (41)great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (36)kid-friendly (34)hot spot (25)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (12)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The wait was a quite a long time. And there was no where to wait inside. We were standing on top of ppl. I eventually had to ask a manager walking by to clean off a table so we could sit, knowing we were next. Food was good. My pizza was burned but other than that it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteWynnsmomDined on 11/14/2014The food is great and I've never had bad service. Plus, the bread and dipping olive oil is so amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always changing menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2014I love going to Not Your Average Joe's. They change their menu seasonally and I love all of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great1Dined on 11/8/2014The staff and management team are always accommodating and focused on the guest experience. The food is always delicious and there are new specials every month. I highly recommend this location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love dining here!HollyEDined on 11/1/2014The food and service is always excellent. There is something to please everyone On the menu. I eat gluten free and I love the new steak salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long linesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Be sure to make a reservation if you come in the weekends. I made a reservation through Open Table and was seated right away when we arrived. It was a good experience. The served us right away (desirable when you have kids).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Every year I am very grateful for the free birthday meal that I receive. I was a little disappointed this year that my favorite meal was not on the menu. I picked another meal, and it was okay but the chicken was a little dry. My dessert was very good and my husband, son and I really enjoyed sharing it. My server was just okay, she did come and ask us how everything was a few times, but never offered us drink refills, which in my mind is a sign of a good waitress. My husband too thought she was not as good as some of the other waiters/waitress' we have had in the past.Special Features:
- Lunch, CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I always meet friends here for lunch. I choose this restaurant for celebrations such as Going Away parties and Retirement. My husband and I celebrate birthdays and anniversaries here. It is a great place to grab a pizza before a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of sad.MRousDined on 10/21/2014I recently got the steak frites..........I thought the portion was VERY VERY Small for the price and was highly disappointed. I don't think there was anything NOT AVERAGE about the fries that they came with :( Thank god for the yummy bread as that's what I filled up on :(Special Features:
- Consistently great experiences hereFastJohn44VIPDined on 10/20/2014We go here often because of the consistently great service and food. This time was for a Monday evening dinner. There was a "buck a shuck" oyster promotion we couldn't resist and they were delicious! Our waitress Miriam was exceptional and patient with our relaxed mood. No rushing us to make any decisions made for a relaxing time. I had the Mona Lisa chicken salad which was wonderful. The lady had the Schnitzel and Kugel (sp?) special and it too was very authentic and tasty. See you soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthdaydawn2duskDined on 10/19/2014We come here once a year, every year, thanks to the birthday deal offered by NYAJ. Would come more often, but it's a bit of a hike and too expensive for a middle-class family of four. Good execution all-around!Special Features:
- This place is a GemtearoseDined on 10/19/2014I was Introduced to NYAJ by a friend and is now my go to place. It has great wine tastings, Great food, and the menu is always to die for Everybody needs to make this place their go to place. You will thank me after the first time you try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What good is a reservation?DiscerningFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had reservations at 6:45PM on Saturday, but were given a beeper and made to wait another 20 minutes before being seated at an undesirable table. During this time, several other parties arrived and were seated ahead of us - some of them without reservations. Needless to say, it did not make us very happy. The food was just okay, nothing special, and the ambiance was lacking. In general, it is hard to understand how this mediocre chain restaurant is allowed to participate on OpenTable. In reality, they don't honor reservations, and the food is not particularly high quality.
- Good foodTheatergirlDined on 10/18/2014The prices are fair and theropod good.waitress was great Only drawback is noise level Honored our reservation on time Will go back againSpecial Features:
- Too noiseyProblemchildDined on 10/18/2014This is basically an excellent restaurant with a wonderful menu, great food, perfect service, tasteful modern decore, convenient location. However the experience is marred if you came for conversation, too. Also, be careful, there is another restaurant, very near the Methuen location called Joe's or Joe's Crab shack. Not the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem for a great gourmetJoneVIPDined on 10/14/2014Although a bit difficult to find as a first-timer in the area, we were extremely happy to have found this place. The menu was refreshingly different and the quality of ingredients used in everyone's meal was excellent. Highly recommend for any foodie looking for value and a quality experience.Special Features:
- The legacy continuesgreat1Dined on 10/13/2014Great food, service and hospitality. The team here continues to exceed their guest's expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Usually go to Joe's about once every few months. Always love the food and ambience. I had their seasonal soup - sweet potato with linguica sausage(?) and it was delicious. It is always good food and , I think, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Too small.DaveDined on 10/11/2014Love this place but it is too small to handle the crowds that go there on a Saturday. Too noisy and people waiting right by your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChaoticAmsmithDined on 10/11/2014Like the food here but find it a little pricey for the type of establishment. Entrance to the restaurant is lousy and very chaotic & cramped. Only went because of the convenience in relation to the movie theatre. Would've left if we didn't have plans for a movie. Reduce your prices a bit and fix that entrance and I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy place for a dateSalsLawDined on 10/9/2014The service was great. We were seated immediately. Our server was pleasant and took care of our order. Definitely a nice place for an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Always ImpressesTJohnDined on 10/9/2014I often take business contacts here for lunch or dinner. Food is great- menu is not too big and provides a nice variety. The team we brough this time raved about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014SERVER WAS EXCELLENT! TOTALY WENT OUT OF HER WAY. FOOD ON THE OTHER HAND. TOTALY OVER PRICED FOR THE AMOUNT. GOT THE AHI TUNA. VERY DISSAPOINTED. IT WAS EXPENSIVE ENOUGH AS IT WAS BUT NOW THE SALAD WAS EVEN SMALLER THAN BEFORE.
- Not pleased at allGottwaldovDined on 10/4/2014I haven't been at not Your Average Joes for a few months and after my last dining here I'm very disappointed. We both picke the fall special which we were told was Not available! So we picked cup of chowder and again 10 mins later we were told that it's not available again. I got the glazed salmon and it came not very hot (veggies were burned, rice was cold). The selection from the menu is very poor, not a lot of choices like I remember! I don't think I would wanna eat here again. After all the manger apologized for 3 strikes, we didn't get any special price or treatment. (Which isn't my point). I just felt that this place is going downhill. I used to loved everything on their menu! What happened?
- We are regulars! Love dining here!HollyEDined on 9/28/2014Having a GF menu makes it an ideal place for us to have dinner. I was really pleased when the waiter offered to do the flounder special with haddock GF because they had run out of the flounder. Excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodKodi2k6Dined on 9/25/2014I have always found the Not Your Average Joe's food to be distinctly delicious. I have never had a dish I didn't enjoy and the staff has always been professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYAJ, MethuenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Overall, a typically enjoyable dining experience, though they were uncharacteristically out of a handful of items. My son is a notoriously picky eater but he loves the pizza. I had the gumbo w/o shrimp but extra chicken and I would definitely order it again. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceClareDined on 9/20/2014Although this was our first time at Not Your Average Joe's, (NYAJ) in Methuen, we have been going to other NYAJs for years and it almost always a really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Reliably WonderfulAllaroundwonderfulDined on 9/15/2014After having been pregnant, it was great to eat the tuna tartare and it tasted and looked exactly the same as I anticipated, absolutely exquisite. our friends had the oysters and then a 2nd order they were so good. Food is always great here, it's the personal service that makes it a delight. Love Joe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great1Dined on 9/13/2014Great food and service from an attentive staff and management team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love NYAJLL65Dined on 9/7/2014This is our go to restaurant. The bread and dipping oil is fantastic and I have yet to try a dish I haven't loved. This last visit I tried the Herb Crusted Haddock and substituted green beans for the fries and it was perfect (never a problem with substitutions). Some other favorites are the Caprese Salad and the Mustard Crusted Chicken. My husbands favorite is the Meatloaf. Atmosphere is fun and energetic. It is also a plus that they support our local farms by using local produce whenever they can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I was with a party of 4. All but one of us thought the meal was really good. My husband ordered the chicken with stuffed canoloni and thought it was terrible so he didn't eat it. I would have to agree, it was dry and tough. He never told the wait staff he didn't like it, so not their fault. They probably would have offered him something else. Also, the bread comes to the table cold and I like hot bread. To me that's a big deal. I will go back to try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Below Average Joe'sDiner432Dined on 9/5/2014We eat at another Average Joe's location regularly, and are always happy with the food, service, and ambiance. So we were surprised by our opposite experience at the Methuen location. The young woman at the reception desk was neither welcoming nor friendly. She acknowledged that she had a record of our reservation, but no table was actually reserved, and we waited along with all the walk-in diners. There's no place to wait but in the aisle next to the unfortunate parties who were seated near the entrance. Our server got part of our order wrong because she was preoccupied and did not write down the order as we gave it. The food was ill-prepared. The same dishes we enjoy at other Average Joe's locations were mediocre here.
- birthday treattootsDined on 9/3/2014I went as a party of one for a free birthday entrée and dessert. The wait staff made me feel very welcome and was very attentive. I adore the focacia and special dipping sauce. I had a burger cooked to perfection and I fully enjoyed the one thing that especially draws me to Joe's-- the "Peanut Butter Thing".Special Features:
- Great fall specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/3/2014Not usually my style, but waitress convinced me to try the spiced apple sangria--it's delicious!Special Features:
- Fantastic diningveeeDined on 9/3/2014Our dining experience was perfect, our server was fantastic, I wish I got her name. It was a midweek relatively slow night, and we were seated in a booth along the main aisle way, but the attentiveness of our server was outstanding. My son's order was keyed in incorrectly and they delivered it and then brought out his correct meal, so we got a free dinner and the server and manager were so apologetic and upfront and did the right thing! We will be coming back!Special Features:
- A rough day for a great restaurantToniVIPDined on 8/30/2014I visit the NYAJ in methuen around 5 times a year, which is a lot for me. We have an annual tradition of celebrating our birthdays there and we always love the restaurant. We had a bad experience this time with very slow service and the outdoor eating area was a mess! Food on the ground everywhere! The manager visited us after one mishap and we said we were fine, but it would have been nice if he visited us an hour later when we were still waiting for our dessert. Hopefully this was just a bad night.
- more than expected, better for itwinejewDined on 8/29/2014I wasn't sure what to expect. I would have to agree that they live up to their namesake. The meatloaf and coconut shrimp were above average. I was pleasantly surprised by the wine list. It had the normal bland and predictable selection. However, it also had a higher quality selection that made the meal and the night that much better.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service, InnovativeWeLikeFoodDined on 8/29/2014NYAJ's is a favorite for consistently good food and high quality service. The menu changes with offerings of new dishes "discovered" by "Joe," who is said to travel the world looking for great meals. A nice assortment of wines and drinks is available. I usually pick Joe's Margarita - $6.99 for a very large drink. A bowl of Tomato Basil Soup for $6.99 is more than enough for a full meal, when you consider their fresh bread and oil/garlic dip that comes with the seating. The staff are happy and thus do a great job with service. This NYAJ is located next to a cinema and offers discounted theater tickets as an add to a meal. Its popularity means long waits on Friday nights and some weekends, so plan ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I chose Joe's for my birthday celebrations with two of my friends because it met everyone's food choices. I love the quality of their food and the wide variety on the menu. I have never been disappointed in a meal there.Special Features: