Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
245 Kentlands Blvd
Gaithersburg, MD 20878Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (240) 477-1040x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
At Not Your Average Joe's, we build like we cook: creatively, from scratch, with guests in mind. One look at the renderings of our new Gaithersburg restaurant, and you'll see what we mean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (134)great for outdoor dining (99)good for groups (84)great for lunch (77)fit for foodies (75)kid-friendly (61)special occasion (53)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (36)great for brunch (26)late-night find (17)notable wine list (14)romantic (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- A little too much attention...TulaneMom20878Dined on 10/24/2014We stopped in with friends for dessert after a football game. We come here often and always enjoy the whole experience, food and ambiance. Friday night was no different except that we literally couldn't finish a sentence without one of the waiters inquiring if everything was ok. I like attention, who doesn't? But this was a bit excessive. Probably because it was late and not too busy? I'm not "complaining" just making an observation. My key lime pie was delicious and all the wait staff ARE super pleasant and accommodating! We will continue to visit our "neighborhood gem" often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New down hill run??mammabearDined on 10/24/2014No stranger verage Joes, where previous visits were great. However, noticeable (negative) changes on this past Friday have me concerned this restaurant's past glory may be headed in a downhill run. I sincerely hope not, we frequent several times a month with our family. That would be a loss to the Kentlands neighborhood.Special Features:
- favorite restaurantLaurieMDined on 10/24/2014We have been to Joe's numerous times. I can honestly say that only one time did we have a less than terrific meal, and after sending a note to the manager, they made sure that we were well- taken care of. This is simply one of our favorite places to go to- no matter for lunch or dinner, any day. Whenever we are feeling stressed or just need to go for a good meal, our choice is always Joe's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NYAJ but today's food was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014I love NYAJ. However, today I had the steak sandwich and was disappointed for the first time. This dish was sloppy and hard to eat neatly. The wrap was very chewy and it made a mess to chew a bite off. I used knife and fork on the wrap and it almost wouldn't cut. I ended up eating the delicious steak and vegetables inside, then tore the wrap into small bites and ate them last. I will not get this dish again. The steak inside was fantastic, but it was a sloppy unpleasant presentation to eat from. The fries had a great garlic topping, along with whole cooked cloves of garlic. I just wish they weren't as greasy fried more than normal. I will come back to NYAJ again and again, but I will not try this dish. Their first off day?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Food,Happy FriendsFoodloverDined on 10/23/2014We met some friends at NYAJs with whom we had been looking forward to catching up. Our waiter was new, helpful,knowledgable about the food and efficient. We had time to talk and to enjoy both the food and each other! The drinks and the delicious bread prepared us for what was to come. All four of us ordered from the specials of the night and we were all pleased. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER LETS ME DOWNBetsyDined on 10/23/2014Lunch or dinner; weekdays or weekends -- always great! From when you walk in the door and are greeted like a friend to when you're bid farewell after a wonderful meal, Not Your Average Joe's hits the mark every single time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfunDined on 10/22/2014great find.been goibng since it opened. don't like the one in Hyannis, but Gaithersburg is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dishes with Great QualityGalagoyoDined on 10/18/2014Not Your Average Joe's has taken traditional dishes and put their own unique spin on them. At first, some of the menu options may seem like an unlikely combination of foods that are known to be good, but aren't usually eaten together. The result, however, is amazing. This is what Not Your Average Joe's does best, create innovative dishes that taste fantastic. Combine this with great service, an extensive menu including customizable pizzas, and an insanely good olive oil mixture to go with fresh focaccia bread while your food is being prepared, and you have a fantastic restaurant. Also, if you are a vegetarian, fear not, Not Your Average Joe's has multiple vegetarian menu options and versions of dishes, as well as a homemade veggie burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average food and issues with servicDtrakDined on 10/17/2014It took ages for our server to come by. She surprised us with bread because another server had told us the bread was backlogged 45minutes. They have bottomless lemonade for $2.99 but you can tell they just use a syrup for flavoring. We food was ok, but kind of bland. Probably won't be coming back.
- Loved ItLinzyDined on 10/17/2014NYAJ is one of my favorite restaurants! Always have a great experience here. Love the bread and oil, so yummy! Great food, great service, can't say enough good things about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at NYAJAverageJaneVIPDined on 10/17/2014As usual we enjoyed our meal at NOt Your Average Joes. We first enjoyed our drinks, a margarita for me and a spiced sangria for my friend. We ordered some wings -both the buffalo and the chili lime wings and they were just delicious. I had the cranberry turkey dinner which was delicious and my friend had the flounder which was also good. We will be back for some more delicious food and drinks.Special Features:
- Great scratch-made foodMereDined on 10/17/2014I've been here 3 times and all have been great! Unlimited bread and dipping oil is always a hit with any group. I've had sandwiches, salads and entrees and they have all been perfectly seasoned and cooked. We sat outside this most recent time which was nice. Don't come here expecting a quick lunch, we were there for an hour before the checks arrived. It probably would have been faster but everyone wanted separate checks. Still worth the wait for a nice time out. The food itself comes relatively quickly.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDaveNBettyVIPDined on 10/16/2014We have been to NYAJs numberous times. We always like it. Reservations actually WORK there. The food is good and the service has always been awesome. They change their menu for special times of the year. It's Octoberfest now so we ordered from their Octoberfest menu and it was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Nice atmosphere, great staff! Though the food was quite tasty, the helpings really are incredibly large.Special Features:
- C- (a bit below "average")OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/14/2014NYAJ's has potential but didn't make the grade on this, our first, visit. Pork was well seasoned but overcooked= dry, sirloin tips were supposed to be medium rare-medium but were delivered well, mustard chicken review was "just okay, kinda greasy". Our server had been delivering great service until he delivered the food and went MIA for 10 minutes, during which time we decided to eat rather than continue to wait for him. When he finally showed and asked how we liked our food we shared feedback on pork & sirloin tips being overcooked. His response, "Oh, how about those sides though?" Seriously?
- A slip, but not the usual experinceRobertoVIPDined on 10/12/2014We like to eat at NYAJ's a couple of times a month & always find the food very good, plus the service good. This week there was a slip--our appetizers arrived more slowly than usual, and then less than 5 minutes later the main courses were brought out. We gave up on the appetizers and just settled for the main courses. These were good, except for the vegetable sides that were roasted to the point of being dry. -- Not our average dining experience. We'll be back, but hopefully this review will alert the management to double check their processes for food delivery/timing, and pay more attention to details like vegetable sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualcarguyDined on 10/10/2014This was a family birthday celebration. Very good food and wine/cocktail choices for the entire party. This has been our "go-to" restaurant of late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed is an Understatement!diningfortwoDined on 10/8/2014The food took 45 minutes to get to our table. When it did arrive the filling in the manicotti was moldy...gross!
- Solid experienceEinstrVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been repeated customers to thus restaurant and understand when new help arrives it can be challenging. We had to wait about 20 min before we were recognized but the management did recognize the issue and once identified, tried to address the issue. Not the best experience but certainly not the worst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service but fair foodQueenieDined on 9/27/2014We have been to this restaurant many times and I think the food is not the same quality as before. The wait staff are very nice and enhanced the evening but I don't think we'll return. Too expensive for Just an okay meal.
- Variety of delicious choices.BirthdayDined on 9/27/2014NYAJ is a great place to go with family, friends, or a date night. Delicious food with great service every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding customer servicechrisbramDined on 9/20/2014One of the members of our party could not eat spicy food, and her pork dish was too seasoned for her taste. The manager came over, insisted on having another meal prepared for her, and didn't charge her for either. The food was excellent--the customer service was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good. Service was great.DavidDined on 9/18/2014One of the top choices for food in kentlands. Kids meals are a good deal and are real food. Service was very attentive and fast. Dealt with all my special requests (3 kids...) quickly and graciously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice afternoonHungryDined on 9/14/2014We came to Not Just Your Average Joe's for my daughter's birthday. The choice was hers. Everyone had a different dish: lamb sliders, a hamburger, salmon and chicken piccata. The dishes were enjoyed by all. The waitress was very attentive. No one's soft drink glass ever got empty. We will be back!Special Features:
- always goodDonaldVIPDined on 9/13/2014great menu...great service and nice gluten free options....a must if you are in the area.
- Not the best I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I tried your crab cake BLT, but it wasn't great. My eldest son also ordered it and his was cold. I loved the previous 2 times that I had eaten at your restaurant, so maybe I was expecting too much. My sandwich was too mushy/soft...just not on the delicious side like the entrees were the last times I had eaten there. My other son LOVED the soup, but not so much the turkey sandwich (that was dry). I still LOVE your bread and garlic butter spread though!! That's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance Great - Food OKNiff1010Dined on 9/6/2014This is at least our eighth visit in the past couple years to NYA Joe's in Gaithersburg. Our family really enjoys the atmosphere, the high quality service and care, the bread and olive oil dip, and their selection of non-alcoholic drinks (Arnold Palmer, Rasberry Lime Rickey, etc.). The food is good but not great. We will definitely be back (hopefully soon).Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerEventsDivaDined on 9/4/2014This was a birthday dinner and the service was terrible. We waited about 5 minutes for initial drinks, waiter took our appetizer and food order when we received our drinks. Another waiter came with our food/apps but did not know where to go, so he gave our apps to a table next to us (appareantly we both ordered the same app). He took the food back as I watched our food get pushed around from one side of the counter to another. I watched as servers were in the back laughing/talking, all the while we are still watiing for apps and food. I was finally able to get the attention of another waiter and explained what happened. They apologized, got the manager, who comped our apps and brought out fresh food. Unfortunately, not a good experience.Special Features:
- They get it & Gluten free smartEZGoinDinerover55Dined on 8/31/2014Energetic in a positive way. Equal attention to menu selection, preparation, service, and attention to details. Reasonable price point. We also have a family member who needs gluten free options and they have a GF menu and are savvy. We are repeat customers dining in, out, carry out or bar. It is a favorite.Special Features:
- Unique, Comfortable, Well-pricedTheChambosDined on 8/30/2014We were looking for something for date night that was unique, casual and not too expensive. Not Your Average Joe's fit the bill perfectly. We found the menu interesting and look forward to going back to try other things. The Ahi Tuna salad needed fewer salad greens, more seaweed and the mango slaw needed more pizazz but it was still pretty good. The cobb salad was one of the best my husband has had - he especially enjoyed the large warm slabs of fresh bacon. The tomato tart was really superb for an appetizer. I thought the non-alcohohlic drink choices were really amazing - to have an entire list of fancy drinks such as mojitos and spritzers with fresh berries was such a treat. Great place for special diets (glutenfree, vegan, etc).Special Features:
- Great PlaceEatOutAllTheTimeDined on 8/29/2014Went here for a birthday celebration. Had the sirloin tips. There was a lot of food and it was all excellent. We sat outside in very ample patio area. Service was great too. The prices were a little high for a neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MealFamilyMDined on 8/29/2014NYAJ's always has a seasonal menu and change it frequently, utilizing local ingredients if possible. It was another meal we all enjoyed tremendously. The seafood chowder was exceptional (although it sounds like a stew, it was actually shrimp, mussels and cod in a light tomato brother served over pasta!) and the main course salad. Server was alert and attentive, but not intrusive. Noise level is always a little higher than preferred because of the restaurant layout. Would never say it is a romatic or special occasion restaurant, but serves consistently good food with a changing menu. Wish they offered brunch -- it would be a real winner!!Special Features:
- Don't Cook TonightSimoneDined on 8/29/2014It is so nice to have a neighborhood restaurant that serves healthy, seasonal food in a pleasant environment. You can select anything from a light meal to a full dinner. Their bread and dipping sauce is outstanding. The wait staff is efficient and always willing to help. We enjoy going for a planned dinner or at the spur of the moment for drinks and snacks. A great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Absolute GemKenD1Dined on 8/24/2014This has quickly become a hidden gem in the area. The food and service are top level and the price is incredible. The selections that the waiters make are spot on and the times that we have gone there were seating available. The ambience has a nice casual feel to it and knowing that if we needed to change something particular in the order that it could be done only further enhanced our dining experience. I would gladly call this our favorite restaurant from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Goodpurple20Dined on 8/24/2014Made reservations earlier in the day. Got there early and was seated immediately. Waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and specials for the day. Our food was hot when served and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Above averagevivvieDined on 8/24/2014Not Your Average Joe's definitely lives up to its name. The food was excellent, fresh, made-to-order. We like that you use fresh, local vegetables. Also, your take-home containers are cardboard and recyclable. Just a great dining experience all around. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and he took our request to have the music volume turned down. I only wish I had brought a home-grown tomato for the contest (which was Sat). We dined on Sunday. But when I asked how the contest went, it was discovered that no one participated! Maybe if I had my tomato even though it was Sunday, I might have "won" by default! A $100 gift card would have been the icing on top of a great time at Not Your Average Joe's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anytime spotThorLokismomDined on 8/21/2014I have eaten here for a quick lunch with a friend, a reunion of 15 high school friends, anniversary celebrations, birthdays, dinner dates with my husband and just to grab a quick salad while running errands. NYAJ serves all these types of meals, and the staff is friendly and welcoming all the time. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a table, and everything seems to be well run. The food is amazing... something for everyone from a basic salad and soup to fancier fare. This is our go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BetsyDined on 8/21/2014Another great dinner! I feel at home the minute I walk in the door. Drinks were great; my steak was absolutely perfect. The staff is friendly, professional and fast. Always a great, great expreience. Thank you so, so much!Special Features:
- Another excellent mealSnax69Dined on 8/20/2014This place gets better every time we go. The food is outstanding. You can taste the freshness and the "This was made just for me" that goes into each plate. We brought guests from out of town with us and they had a great experience. We love this place.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Restaurant4eva21VIPDined on 8/17/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.