Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
245 Kentlands Blvd
Gaithersburg, MD 20878Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (240) 477-1040x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
At Not Your Average Joe's, we build like we cook: creatively, from scratch, with guests in mind. One look at the renderings of our new Gaithersburg restaurant, and you'll see what we mean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg - Best Restaurants in Gaithersburg ›
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (159)great for outdoor dining (125)great for lunch (114)good for groups (100)fit for foodies (84)kid-friendly (80)special occasion (66)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (36)great for brunch (29)notable wine list (16)late-night find (15)romantic (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Absolute GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014This has quickly become a hidden gem in the area. The food and service are top level and the price is incredible. The selections that the waiters make are spot on and the times that we have gone there were seating available. The ambience has a nice casual feel to it and knowing that if we needed to change something particular in the order that it could be done only further enhanced our dining experience. I would gladly call this our favorite restaurant from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Above averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Not Your Average Joe's definitely lives up to its name. The food was excellent, fresh, made-to-order. We like that you use fresh, local vegetables. Also, your take-home containers are cardboard and recyclable. Just a great dining experience all around. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and he took our request to have the music volume turned down. I only wish I had brought a home-grown tomato for the contest (which was Sat). We dined on Sunday. But when I asked how the contest went, it was discovered that no one participated! Maybe if I had my tomato even though it was Sunday, I might have "won" by default! A $100 gift card would have been the icing on top of a great time at Not Your Average Joe's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anytime spotThorLokismomDined on 8/21/2014I have eaten here for a quick lunch with a friend, a reunion of 15 high school friends, anniversary celebrations, birthdays, dinner dates with my husband and just to grab a quick salad while running errands. NYAJ serves all these types of meals, and the staff is friendly and welcoming all the time. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a table, and everything seems to be well run. The food is amazing... something for everyone from a basic salad and soup to fancier fare. This is our go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BetsyDined on 8/21/2014Another great dinner! I feel at home the minute I walk in the door. Drinks were great; my steak was absolutely perfect. The staff is friendly, professional and fast. Always a great, great expreience. Thank you so, so much!Special Features:
- Another excellent mealSnax69Dined on 8/20/2014This place gets better every time we go. The food is outstanding. You can taste the freshness and the "This was made just for me" that goes into each plate. We brought guests from out of town with us and they had a great experience. We love this place.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Restaurant4eva21Dined on 8/17/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a variety!RobsmmDined on 8/17/2014I've eaten here several times now and I just love the food. I had a puff pastry with tomato and zucchini baked in it with a spring salad on top with a delicious dressing. It was perfect for a warm summer day. I love the drinks they have too, I had a lovely pomegranate concoction that was quite refreshing.Special Features:
- Great Lobster RollRonGVIPDined on 8/15/2014My wife loves their annual lobster roll special. The manager was kind enough to reserve one for her, because quantities are limited. The fresh lemonade is our afternoon drink of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnydersDined on 8/13/2014Not Your Average Joe's is awesome! The food is really good and is changed up all the time. The attention to detail is incredible, even in the cocktails--well-balanced-kinda-good! It's pretty when it comes to the table, its delicious going down! Thank you for an awesome meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Service was slower than usual. And it took a very long time for our plates to be cleared once we finished eating. Our waitresses' "helper" was very attentive to the table next to ours but didn't give enough attention to us when it was time to clear away our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!drinksNfoodDined on 8/9/2014The food was excellent, the server was on top of everything! I think this place will be a monthly hit for us!Special Features:
- Lunch on the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Very noisy due to being in the entrance to the shopping center. Food has been better in the past but the burgers were very poor. Greasy. Think twice before ordering.
- Surprise!TessDined on 8/4/2014We discovered NYAJ's several months ago and couldn't believe our luck. The food is delicious, the service is uber friendly, and, so far, we've never had to wait long for a table. The monthly specials are truly "special," and even the non-specials are unique (the "Nacho Average Nachos" are the best we've ever had!). The prices are reasonable, but one tiny suggestion I would make is to fill the wine glasses a bit more--or use smaller glasses. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen was closed for reservationOlneyroxxDined on 8/3/2014We made a reservation for 7 on Open Table for 8:45pm (this was the first available time). We arrived and the staff told us the kitchen was closed. They did confirm we had a reservation for 8:45pm, but again stated the kitchen was closed. Considering we had waited over 2 hours for the reservation, my party was disappointed (and hungry) to say the least.
- DependableKarenDined on 8/2/2014The food at NYAJ has remained consistently good in the 2 years it has been open in this location. We arrived early for our reservation and there were plenty of open booths, but they were dirty. It seems there may have been a staffing issue that night? We actually ate in the bar area which was fine. The focaccia was good, but not warmed as it has been in the past. The Korean B-b-que ribs appetizer was very good. The chopped salad was fine, but not amazing. The ahi tuna in that salad was done very nicely. The sangria was a real disappointment. Great price for the pitcher, but it just tasted like carbonated rose wine. Spend a little time and get it right.Special Features:
- Excellent as UsualytjhavigDined on 8/2/2014Every time I go to NYAJ's, I vow to try something new...this can be difficult, because I know how good the things I've had before are. I stuck to my guns this time, and tried the fresh tomato and watermelon gazpacho. It was excellent! The goat chees and almonds really set it off, and while I know it sounds a little exotic, it was really quite nice. I kind of cheated, and had a pizza again, but with different toppings, so I think that that should count for something! My wife had the chicken sandwich, and we both ended up taking home enough for lunch the next day.Special Features:
- Gluten Free!!!prime20854Dined on 8/2/2014They have the best gluten free bread and food. Great food for the non-celiac in your family tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not AverageNeighborDined on 8/1/2014Not Your Average Joes is a very enjoyable and not too expensive place for a casual lunch or dinner out. The food is a step above the regular fare elsewhere and service is attentive. Specials are definitely worth trying. The bread and spicy oil is delicious. The wine selection offers some choices not usually seen elsewhere. We've been there several times and will keep it on our list. Only problem is that it does get crowded. Reservations help!Special Features:
- Great service & drinks, noisy thouOHBoyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Very fast service after we ordered just entree; creative summer non-alcoholic drinks; seafood stew had not-so-fresh mussels but they replaced with a side mussels right away. Delicious warm soft bread!! I forgot my doggy bag which was thrown away very quickly when I went back just minutes later and they cooked me another!! Totally beyond my expectation. If you're looking for quiet spots for conversation though, look elsewhere. This is very loud, I had to shout. Oh very slippery cement floor, be careful if you have skinny heels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVEYelenaHeartDined on 7/30/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants ever. We go here regularly - even several times a week. The staff is incredible. Super sweet, kind, and always attentive. We love the food, the bread (oh god that bread is just sooo good), and it is very accommodating for any type of diet. They have a from scratch kitchen - meaning anything can be made just the way you like it and want it. I can't say enough good things about this place.Special Features:
- Jeff the server was Awsome!SmorrisMom81VIPDined on 7/29/2014My family came in on 07/29/2014 we used the 100.00 dining check we received from opentable.com I had the mustard chicken (my daughter and i) my husband the jambalya and my other daughter had kids pasta. We had nachos as appetizer.. What can i say about the food.. Big Portions, Flavourful and Fresh! now the service was Great! he was efficent and on point. I work in the hospitality industry and i know 4 star service.. Jeff is a GEM!Special Features:
- Never Fails to Please!CDRGerryDined on 7/28/2014Great food! Nice selection of Beer, local, craft and import. Varied menu, like the summer theme...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyhcczDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant has never let me down, the bread is always the best! Food is great. I ordered the lettuce wraps as an appetizer and was picturing more of a marinaded meat like lettuce wraps I've had at other restaurants, but it was more of a chicken-salad style... the menu describes it as "pulled grilled chicken with oranges, sugar snap peas, carrots and chopped peanuts, served chilled with a tangy sesame-ginger vinaigrette" but it was more of a mayo-based dressing so my friend didn't eat any of that. Good service everytime, good food. recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glutenfree-goddessglutenfreegirlDined on 7/27/2014your gluten free food rocks! love the scratch kitchen !(any ingredient can be scratched off )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningAj7841VIPDined on 7/26/2014The evening was lovely and the young man taking care of us in the bar area was slow but very chatty and knew all about the food he was giving great service and although we had marginal food that night it was about the service that made it the best.Special Features:
- Not Your Average Joe: Above AverageinthebizVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was our first visit to Not Your Average Joe's, and we were impressed with the quality of the made from scratch food coming out of the kitchen. The service was friendly, without being intrusive. Overall, it was a very good dining experience and we will be back another time (but, we don't live close to Gaithersburg, so it will be a while). Note: Save room for dessert in order to have the "Peanut Butter Thing" - you'll be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerWorksportDined on 7/25/2014Everything was good, but our waiter was scarce at times. He took my silverware after I completed my salad course. Then, someone else brought my food. There were no waiters available nearby to get my silverware so I had to go to the waiter stand to get it from someone else. It's nitpicky, but a waiter should be aware of this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemEatOutOnceAWeekDined on 7/25/2014A nice friendly place to spend the evening. Excellent food, extensive beer list, and friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- Great place to eatbillyDined on 7/24/2014Always a good place to eat at. NYAJ is our go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frendly servicegeniusVIPDined on 7/24/2014When we get together for lunch during the week, this is the place we come to. The food is always fresh with plenty of choices to pick from, and the staff is professional and attentive. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jmbst137Dined on 7/24/2014Awesome lunch! Outdoor seating is pleasant and not to noisy and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Wouldn't go out of my way to dine there again, but if a occasion arose to do so..that would be okay. It was just okay. Not bad, but not really really good either.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem in the Kentlands!BethDined on 7/22/2014Outstanding dinner! I had the scallops which were delicious. Everything is cooked to order and they honor all special requests. I am delighted they have such a great variety of beers on draft. Excellent dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with a GroupSailorMiguel1Dined on 7/21/2014We met some other friends from our neighborhood for dinner at Not Your Average Joe's. We were seated promptly and had great service. I thought the menu was good because it had many choices. Great for a group, there is something for everyone. The prices were good. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BertfoodcriticDined on 7/19/2014Great variety of food. Service was outstanding. Great attention to detail. Manager came over to see if we were pleased. Overall way above the normal local food establishment.Special Features:
- GREAT EXPERIENCEJEA13Dined on 7/19/2014First meal out in 5 months following cancer therapy, and not sure what (if anything) I could taste. I chose exactly the right food, a burger with BarBQ sauce and onion strips - really good quality meat, cooked perfectly, and very tasty. The manager is a doll and was extremely friendly and solicitous, and I left with a handful of "first timer" discount cards. The menu is ample for anyone's taste with a great selection of appetizers and entrees, and the deserts look amazing! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as uduslOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We love this place. Took some friends Saturday night and were a little disappointed. My husbands salad was drenched in dressing. He picked around it and then told the waitress he couldn't eat it. She took it, said "sorry" but didn't offer to replace it or take it off the bill. I had scallops which were very small and slightly overlooked- not at all like the last time I had them. Still one of our go to neighborhood places, just disappointing. Missed having Rich, the awesome manager, there that night to rectify things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoozinDoozinDined on 7/16/2014This has become one of my favorite restaurants in the area. The food is original and I love that the specials are constantly changing allowing us to choose something different each time. The ambiance is great with the open kitchen. The clam chowder had to the most clams I have every had in this soup. I can't wait to try different dishes next time. My husband loves the choice of non alcoholic drinks and my kids love the selection of the beers.Special Features:
- Glad to Have Joe's in the HoodCinnamonVIPDined on 7/16/2014Have been here multiple times. On this most recent visit, had a very good meal, one of their monthly specials. Also had really good service. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Yummy!Dar18Dined on 7/10/2014I've been to Not Your Average Joes several times and I'm never disappointed. I've loved all of the food. Be prepared to have a delicious start of fresh made bread and delicious dipping....arrive there hungry!!Special Features: