Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
645 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 7816431666
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Henning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (43)kid-friendly (42)great for lunch (31)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- I like SaladDinerDined on 10/18/2014My Favorite Food was the Asian salad. and the pasta and Key lime pieSpecial Features:
- Our favorite Joe'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014After a couple of years eating at the Medford location, we needed a break due to excessive management turnover and poor attitudes of the cooking staff. EVERY meal we've had here in the past 2 months has been great, and Mike, our server, is awesome. Our new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like foodDinerDined on 10/18/2014My favorite dinner was the asian Dumplings and the nachos.Special Features:
- HappyCamperDined on 10/11/2014Always consistent with good food, good service and friendly staff.Special Features:
- NanceDined on 10/9/2014Great burger!Filling and perfectly cooked. The waitress was very attentive and politeSpecial Features:
- Always satisfyingoldnwiseDined on 9/27/2014NYAJ is a great place. This time we tried some of the new items to be included on future menus, and they are GREAT. As always, the bread and garlic/oil dip is the best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheyCameToBostonVIPDined on 9/27/2014we visited on a Saturday night at 6 PM and it was easier to count the tables WITHOUT children. Nonetheless, to a one, they were well-behaved and altho they could be seen - and heard - it was not distracting. The beauty of a place like NYAJ is that it's better than common pub food but consistently consistent. This is the 3rd location we've visited and while never having been knocked out, have always been pleased. Tho one minor nit from our Saturday night visit while I enjoyed my choose-your-own-toppings thin-crust pizza, I received red onion altho having specified white onions three times to the server.Special Features:
- Can't Beat ItboblikesfoodDined on 9/2/2014Every,every time we go to either the Arlington or the Watertown Joe's it's always GREAT. I don't know how they do it but I'm happy. Food, price and service #1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louder since the renovation...trsfVIPDined on 8/30/2014We've been going to the Arlington NYAJ for years. It's got good, basic food that is consistently good, and a good beer list & good sangria. My daughter loves their burgers and bread and lava cake. Since they did the renovation this past year, it seems MUCH louder. It's very hard to have a conversation without yelling. Not sure if tables were added, so there's an overall larger number of customers, or something happened with the acoustics, but it's very distracting. Can barely hear the waiter when he comes by. Not as enjoyable as it used to be.Special Features:
- Consistent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014I've been to many of the NYAJ's restaurants. I find the consistency of the food between the chains to be very good. The restaurant themselves are always clean and relaxing. The food is very good and the value is great. We have friends from out of town who always want to go to NYAJ when visiting... they love the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid as usualScottVIPDined on 8/17/2014Not Your Average Joe's is one of the few chain restaurants we visit regularly -- have been to the Beverly, Randolph and Arlington locations. The food quality is excellent and the varied menu has something to satisfy almost everyone. The staff here have always been very accommodating about meeting dietary requests (vegetarian, vegan, etc).Special Features:
- Varied menuCarolDined on 8/15/2014Great place to take a kid who doesn't like ethnic food. I appreciated that when they overcooked my steak they quickly brought me a rare steak and gave me the overdone steak to take home for a friend who likes it that way. I've ordered the steak tips many times and it was the first time it was overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service.Lolla61Dined on 8/1/2014I am always very happy with my food here, and the service has been friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait time was puzzlingRubicon717Dined on 7/28/2014I've been to NYAJ's many times, food is good and staff is attentive. This time, I used a birthday coupon which was great and I brought another adult and my 4yo daughter. Restaurant was about half full. We ordered our drinks then meals, them proceeded to wait close to 45 min for our food with no explanation. I did not complain and tip well on the entire orig amount of bill but was so disappointed with the wait time. Waiter didn't really acknowledge it, only asked once if we wanted more bread and another round of drinks. And we didn't order anything fancy - pizza, salad, sandwich plate. I assume it was just an off day. It really just bummed us all out I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average chainScottVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have been to several NYAJ locations and have never been disappointed. I have often come here with groups including several people with hard-to-accommodate dietary restrictions (vegetarian and lactose-intolerant) and they have always gone out of their way to accommodate us.Special Features:
- Usually reliable NYAJ'sDinerOuterDined on 7/14/2014I certain group of friends and I always enjoy the food, the drinks, and the energetic atmosphere at NYAJ's. However, service was lackadaisical/unfriendly on this particular night, and the bill came out wrong--even after we asked it to be corrected it wasn't quite right, but we gave up at that point and just paid it.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodRobinVIPDined on 7/13/2014Our families new dinner spot in Arlington. We also look forward to their oil, cheese and pepper dipping sauce for their onion topped bread.Special Features:
- Great local placeHonestreviewerDined on 7/10/2014One of the Best in the area for groups, for festive occasions, for a large and interesting menu and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missLeahDined on 7/7/2014I'm a big fan of Nor Your Average Joes but I'm noticing it's really hit or miss. Sometimes we go and the service is outstanding. Other times the food is slow to come out and it's difficult to find your service to ask for a condiment. I really enjoy the wine list. Monday through Friday they have half priced apps at the bar from 3-6 so that's fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Great as always, Requested a quite corner for four abd that request was grantedSpecial Features:
- energetic or noisy?treets4us2Dined on 7/3/2014Food is delicious, busy busy place, slightly pricey, apparently excellent for families because there were a lot of children, bar open to dining room, noisy but you can converse, delighted to see that there are no televisions everywhere, nice variety of entree options, friendly service but when it is busy, it is hard for servers to navigate, appetizer bread with dip is a tasty treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut above your average chainScottVIPDined on 6/28/2014Came here with a very diverse group -- my wife and I, my mother-in-law and two of her friends, including several vegetarians (one lactose-intolerant) and ranging in age from 30s to 80s. Everyone had a good time. Service and ambience were excellent and staff went out of their way to accommodate dietary requests.Special Features:
- Great food and drink, good service.Lolla61Dined on 6/25/2014The food was excellent and our waiter very accommodating. And the strawberry sangria was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 369 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Arlington reviews archive.
- My goto in the hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/18/2014Joe's is always consistent and friendly. food is creative and comfortingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014I do not want to write a specific review-- this is annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiesDined on 6/15/2014Salmon was a bit overdone. but the bread and oil was always just as great!Special Features:
- Great wait service staffTrish67Dined on 6/11/2014Our waiter was exceptionally helpful; he was always there to tend to our needs - friendly and conversational especially answering our questions about the recent renovations.Special Features:
- comfortable placeAverageCanBokAtTimesDined on 6/11/2014Average Joe's is a comfortable place to catch up with a frend over dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceRobinVIPDined on 6/7/2014My family and I enjoy NYAJ's even more when we know that we have a table waiting for us. Thanks OpenTable.Special Features:
- Where is the service???MarKevVIPDined on 6/5/2014Service was hands down the WORST in Arlington! I'll start with the hostess. When we walked in she was too busy flirting with one of the waiters. When somebody nudged her to indicate we were standing in front of her, her reaction was one of annoyance. As if we were intruding on her private moment! Next is the waiter. Although he was a very nice fellow, he was clearly overwhelmed by having tables in different sections. Once our food was dropped off, not a single person checked in on us for the entire time we were there. Glasses were emptied, napkins were on top of our plates, we sat around twiddling our thumbs for the someone to take notice. Surprised that the manager who was there did not lend a hand to his waitstaff. Very disappointed.....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Your entrees were very tasty. There were different specials we could choose from and that we would not necessarily make at home, We ordered three different desserts so as to try a variety that we could all sample. I was not impressed with two out of the three. The strawberry shortcake had way too few strawberries and no whipped cream. Ice cream is not part of the traditional shortcake recipe I had bread pudding. Not impressed. There wasn't any type of custard/pudding going through it like at Jimmy's in Arlington. The key lime pie was the best out of the three. The price was a bit high for the quality that was not there. My house wine was perfect, but my girlfriend said hers was too sweet. Third cocktail was perfect for my other friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good visitFiddlerDined on 5/26/2014Went to try their oyster / martini special. Oysters had gone bad and weren't being served (a good call on their part), martini was ok, Nantucket chopped salad (entree) was very nice.Special Features:
- Delicious BurgerTonyViDined on 5/23/2014You need to try the sweet blue cheese burger!! Just amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DarJarDined on 5/21/2014Arlington location is our favorite. Made a reservation and were glad we did. On a Wednesday evening, the place was booming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodRobinVIPDined on 5/15/2014Great option for families looking for better quality food that kids enjoy as well.Special Features:
- Been betterBLC72Dined on 5/13/2014I've been many times to NYAJs. The ambience & service was fine. The food had no real flavor. Looked good, but had no taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a fun occasioncanneverrememberDined on 5/11/2014A friend and I went early early for dinner...4:30. We always like their menu, and their specials sounded delicious too. My friend had the chicken caprese special, and gave me the cheese!!?? (kind of picky) I had the hangar steak and wedge. The steak was cooked perfectly, and there was a better than average amount served. The dressing on the iceberg wedge was excellent, too...horseradish something. We both loved our meals!Special Features:
- great revamp of local restaurantpickleDined on 5/11/2014At some point over the last few years NYAJ's has revamped the menu and asthetics of the place and for the better. My husband and I, who are both "foodies" enjoy coming here because we can get good food while not leaving our 5 year old daugher out. We all find foods we like and although some dinners are better than others, we always enjoy our choices. The staff is always friendly and the restaurant generally very comfortable. We are looking forward to trying the Wednesday wine night! It is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The wait staff was great, the food very good too. My drink a Cosmopolitan was not cold. Too warm, but tasted good. Busy Friday night, but fun.Special Features:
- The good and the badpczernyVIPDined on 5/7/2014First, the good news. My wife and I have eaten at the Joe's in Arlington several times...must be more than 30 times. The food is always good, it's reasonably priced and the service is always good although, the kitchen can get backed up at time. The bad news is that seems to have been discovered by families in the area and it has gotten to be a bit loud with children vocalizing away. The business is great for the restaurant but my preference is for something a little quieter. We go back from time to time to see if the last few visits were the exception. Again, it is a great place to bring children...the down side is that a family restaurant and a restaurant for adults can't exist at the same place at the same time.Special Features: