Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
645 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (781) 643-1666
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Henning
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Arlington
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Not Your Average Joe's Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (47)kid-friendly (43)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Consistently good food and serviceRobinVIPDined on 6/7/2014My family and I enjoy NYAJ's even more when we know that we have a table waiting for us. Thanks OpenTable.Special Features:
- Where is the service???MarKevVIPDined on 6/5/2014Service was hands down the WORST in Arlington! I'll start with the hostess. When we walked in she was too busy flirting with one of the waiters. When somebody nudged her to indicate we were standing in front of her, her reaction was one of annoyance. As if we were intruding on her private moment! Next is the waiter. Although he was a very nice fellow, he was clearly overwhelmed by having tables in different sections. Once our food was dropped off, not a single person checked in on us for the entire time we were there. Glasses were emptied, napkins were on top of our plates, we sat around twiddling our thumbs for the someone to take notice. Surprised that the manager who was there did not lend a hand to his waitstaff. Very disappointed.....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Your entrees were very tasty. There were different specials we could choose from and that we would not necessarily make at home, We ordered three different desserts so as to try a variety that we could all sample. I was not impressed with two out of the three. The strawberry shortcake had way too few strawberries and no whipped cream. Ice cream is not part of the traditional shortcake recipe I had bread pudding. Not impressed. There wasn't any type of custard/pudding going through it like at Jimmy's in Arlington. The key lime pie was the best out of the three. The price was a bit high for the quality that was not there. My house wine was perfect, but my girlfriend said hers was too sweet. Third cocktail was perfect for my other friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good visitFiddlerDined on 5/26/2014Went to try their oyster / martini special. Oysters had gone bad and weren't being served (a good call on their part), martini was ok, Nantucket chopped salad (entree) was very nice.Special Features:
- Delicious BurgerTonyViDined on 5/23/2014You need to try the sweet blue cheese burger!! Just amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DarJarVIPDined on 5/21/2014Arlington location is our favorite. Made a reservation and were glad we did. On a Wednesday evening, the place was booming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodRobinVIPDined on 5/15/2014Great option for families looking for better quality food that kids enjoy as well.Special Features:
- Been betterBLC72Dined on 5/13/2014I've been many times to NYAJs. The ambience & service was fine. The food had no real flavor. Looked good, but had no taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a fun occasioncanneverrememberDined on 5/11/2014A friend and I went early early for dinner...4:30. We always like their menu, and their specials sounded delicious too. My friend had the chicken caprese special, and gave me the cheese!!?? (kind of picky) I had the hangar steak and wedge. The steak was cooked perfectly, and there was a better than average amount served. The dressing on the iceberg wedge was excellent, too...horseradish something. We both loved our meals!Special Features:
- great revamp of local restaurantpickleDined on 5/11/2014At some point over the last few years NYAJ's has revamped the menu and asthetics of the place and for the better. My husband and I, who are both "foodies" enjoy coming here because we can get good food while not leaving our 5 year old daugher out. We all find foods we like and although some dinners are better than others, we always enjoy our choices. The staff is always friendly and the restaurant generally very comfortable. We are looking forward to trying the Wednesday wine night! It is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The wait staff was great, the food very good too. My drink a Cosmopolitan was not cold. Too warm, but tasted good. Busy Friday night, but fun.Special Features:
- The good and the badpczernyVIPDined on 5/7/2014First, the good news. My wife and I have eaten at the Joe's in Arlington several times...must be more than 30 times. The food is always good, it's reasonably priced and the service is always good although, the kitchen can get backed up at time. The bad news is that seems to have been discovered by families in the area and it has gotten to be a bit loud with children vocalizing away. The business is great for the restaurant but my preference is for something a little quieter. We go back from time to time to see if the last few visits were the exception. Again, it is a great place to bring children...the down side is that a family restaurant and a restaurant for adults can't exist at the same place at the same time.Special Features:
- Celiac menu was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 years ago. It is not an easy diet. I found your restaurant to have the best variety of food for Celiacs. I was also very surprised that you had a gluten free carrot cake! I have been to other restaurants and have not been impressed with the gluten free food. I will be making NYAJ a regular stop when going out to eat. Thank you and keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Love this RestaurantDinesOutFrequently2014Dined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is consistently delicious! Been there several times and the food is always very good. Talented chef here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant as alwaysjoerDined on 4/19/2014We keep coming back mainly because they are so family friendly. The richest kids menu we've seen, convenient space, tolerance for their noise and little feet running around... And a wonderful service in general. Always smiling and trying to make sure we are all enjoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleases everyoneScottVIPDined on 4/13/2014Not Your Average Joe's is a cut above your average chain casual-dining restaurant. The extensive menu has something to please almost everyone. They could make an effort to include more vegetarian and vegan entrees, although, to their credit, they were accommodating when one of our guests, who is vegetarian and lactose-intolerant, ordered pasta off the kids' menu since it was the only item on the menu that met her restrictions. Service was excellent on a busy day. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Bad serviceFridaynightdinnersDined on 4/11/2014In the beginning the waitress was rushing us to order, we had to request a few more minutes 2x. Then when we were ready to order it took us 15 minutes to find her to tell her we were ready for service. I've eaten the pizza at other "not your average joes" and it was yummy, not this time. The waitress continued to disappear until the very end where it took 15 minutes to find her to request the check. Mind you the place was mostly empty the entire time. I had to come back in from my car to get the food I asked to be wrapped only to be told "I put it there" and she turned to walk over to the table, I hear a woops and she went in the back to get it. No apology, even when I tried to let the manager know of my unpleasant experience.
- Always Enjoy Not Your Average Joe'sAnnieADined on 4/9/2014The food is consistently good. Love the bread and oil. This trip we went because of the Wednesday wine special on the website but the promotion had ended. Went back and the date did say the end date was the previous week. Wish they had taken it off of the web site. Still had a good time and enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- We are an older couple andAnneDined on 4/9/2014We are an older couple and like the service when we arrive early (5:30)- and the availability of a booth. We also like the casual atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Good food and valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014This place was overall pretty good for a chain restaurant. The staff was friendly, and the food was pretty good. Our main complaint was that the oil given with the bread was canola oil. Olive oil would be much better. The bread is good, and the canola is just a poor mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family experienceWolverineGoBlueDined on 3/29/2014Came here after a show with my family including 2 young boys. Though it was 7:30 on Saturday service prompt and friendly. We all agreed the food was good ... maybe better than expected. We all had a great experience and would/will go back.Special Features:
- Great food, service and value!DDavisVIPDined on 3/26/2014My family and I love this Not Your Average Joes. The food is always awesome (they are great with allergies), the servers are attentive, but not overbearing and everything is just smooth. It really allows you to enjoy a meal and relax. Although there are great values every night, we tried out Wine Wednesdays this week. Great deal-- 2 awesome entrees and a bottle of wine (great selection and quality!!) for $39.99?!?! How can you beat that price? I would highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs ImprovementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Asked for a booth and got a table. We ate here so school would receive a portion of check. Flyer was not taken so we have no way of knowing this actually occurred. A remark about a tip was overheard by a wait person (not favorable). Water was never refilled.
- Gluten-free!nitaDined on 3/22/2014So good to find a gluten-free menu that is actually tasty with enough choices to make the trip worthwhile. I am finally eating out again. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurants....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014One of our favorite restaurants.....highly recommended by us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BriannaDined on 3/15/2014Wonderful service and delicious food served quickly. A great spot for families or casual outings with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Delicious harvest mac n cheese and loved the pear sangria! Thanks for the birthday coupon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDrLODined on 3/14/2014Our server was great. The cod is a tasty and fresh choice. The Manhattan is made just right..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always happy to be backpcprDined on 3/13/2014Not Your Average Joe's is one of my favorite restaurants. Almost anyone will find one (or two or twenty) thing(s) they like, so it's nice when you have a group of people with dissimilar tastes and/or requirements. The place is clean, the staff is excellent and the food is yummy as always.Special Features:
- wine wednesdayschristinaDined on 3/12/2014Wine Wednesday is a great deal. The food was awesome and the wine selection was really good.
- Sweet toothks77Dined on 3/11/2014The molten choc cake was warm gooey and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nathan rocksMrsBVIPDined on 3/7/2014Had a very mixed experience last time we went, but thankfully we were in the capable hands of our server, Nathan. The kitchen goofed and sent our salads out at the same time as the entrees. The two employees who delivered our food could barely have been more rude or less concerned that we were not happy with the timing. When Nathan came back to check in he immediately saw what was wrong and made it right. The managers and hosts at this location could learn a lot about service from this guy!
- Go to favoriteChristaoramaVIPDined on 3/6/2014This is a great place to dine if you're looking for some great food that wont break the bank. My go to is the Waldorf salad (the smoked cheese really makes this) and the mustard crusted chicken with green beans and mashed. Ive never had a meal that wasnt on par at this place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food choices were good.HDE42Dined on 3/1/2014The food choices were good. Our server was excellent. The food was served in a timely manner and was served as we requested it. It was well prepared and the temperature was right and the food was very good. There's a nice selection of beer and wine, and it's nice that there are some different choices. The only negative is that the restaurant is very loud. But we would come again and recommend it.Special Features:
- Great service and varietykatiemhigginsVIPDined on 3/1/2014There are a lot of options for dining in Arlington Center, but NYAJ's is a great option for large groups. The service was incredible, and the menu (both food and drink) offer choices for all sorts of food preferences. Definitely make a reservation if you are dining on a weekend evening. Also, if you dine before going to see a show at the Arlington Friends of the Drama, show your ticket confirmation for 15% off of your bill!Special Features:
- always willing to accommodate...StephDined on 2/23/2014The reason I like NYAJ's - is it can work for everyone in a group. Whether someone doesn't want to eat bread/gluten, or someone else wants to skip the onions, or another wants to add more meat -- NYAJs always try to accommodate our individual eating habits/needs - one of the best restaurants for a group of friends....Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedkittyDined on 2/23/2014I have always been a huge fan of Arlington's Not Your Average Joes. The service as usual was fantastic. I was disappointed in the quality of food. I ordered steak tips but they were a little tough and the mashed potatoes were not good at all, green beans were excellent. I hate to say it, but I do not like the new decor. To me it looked old, dark and cheap. The old decor was perfectly fine. Again, sorry to write this negateive review, but as I mentioned, the server was wonderful, they are always top notch.Special Features:
- Very dependableDavidDined on 2/22/2014Keep the spinach pear salad on the menu, its the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicePeterVIPDined on 2/22/2014Wonderful friendly service, great food, good selections and well prepared. A restaurant you can always count on.Special Features:
- fantasticEvaBedDined on 2/21/2014we have been to many Joe's - westborough, arlington and hingham, we frequent arlington and hingham/norwell the most and they are always fabulous! This trip to arlington was packed solid when we got there and they had our table waiting for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.