Not Your Average Joe's Acton
305 Main Street
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Acton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 9786350101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: G. Mendes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Acton
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Acton - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
Not Your Average Joe's Acton reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)kid-friendly (78)good for groups (74)great for lunch (69)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (38)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (17)late-night find (8)notable wine list (8)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- We love it hereDonnaDined on 9/14/2014Great restaurant if you just want a pizza or a delicious meal:)Special Features:
- always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I choose NYAJs because it is a perfect halfway meeting point for my friends but the meal and service are always great and worth the ride. U git the mustard/Panko chicken which was probably not the best thing ive eaten there but it was enjoyable. The bread is to die for. The dipping sauce is too hot for my taste. Should have a milder option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014It is not frequent that I have an issue with my food at Not Your Average Joes-but when I have, they are apologetic, replace the food immediately and take the meal off of the bill. This trip, our meals seemed to be taking an unusually long time to arrive and the manager came over and told us that my chicken was overcooked and they therefore wouldn't serve it. They recooked all our food (so it would all arrive together) and took my meal off of the bill. You won't find many places as proactive as that! We keep going back over and over!Special Features:
- Good evening overallIdgothereagainDined on 9/13/2014We had a very nice waiter who did well by us when a mistake was made. Someone delivered our salad to the wrong table which caused a delay in our service. He comped the salad which was yummy. He also made sure that our dinners arrived hot after we had plenty of time to finish our salads. And he also gave us a free dessert. We didn't ask for any of the freebies and hadn't even complained about the delay. We certainly appreciated his effort to make up the error. Oh--and we enjoyed our dinner, too!Special Features:
- Go JoemangeDined on 9/12/2014NYAJ is always a pleasure, and this time was no different - the birthday celebration for my son was easy, charming and well served.Special Features:
- Great timefoodie9VIPDined on 9/8/2014Celebrating a birthday. Great food and service as usual. A standard -- the scallops -- and a special -- the pork tenderloin -- were both excellent. We'll be back -- as usual!Special Features:
- JackDined on 9/6/2014We are frequent patrons of Not Your Average Joes in Acton and other locations. We consider the food to be excellent and have never had a complaint. However, this time one of us had a salad with chicken on it and the meat tasted very strange but the rest of the salad was very good. We mentioned this to a manager when he stopped by our table and as a result we were not charged for the salad which was a very nice gesture. We will definitely be going back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Goodsteve830Dined on 9/6/2014Although a chain, the food at NYAJ is always very good. The wait staff is attentive and friendly. It's a nice touch that the mgr at each location always comes by your table to check on your overall experience. I had the jambalaya which was perfectly spiced for my taste, with plenty of shrimp, chicken and sausage My wife actually requested that they combine elements of 2 different entrees into a specialized dish and they had no problem in satisfying her request. We've been here many times and will continue to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the pork tenderloinGPx4Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I go to NYAJ about once a month. We enjoy their creative offerings, and love their bread. My wife had the Harvest Pork Tenderloin which was fabulous. That's one of the September specials. I ordered Goat Cheese and Artichoke Cannelloni with Basil Chicken. That was not so great. The chicken, while tasty, was dry. I forgot what the filling was in the cannellonis, and unfortunately was unable to identify the goat cheese and artichoke as such--it was kind of bland, and the artichokes seemed like potatoes. That aside, the service was fantastic, attentive but not too much, and the atmosphere (we went before 6:00) was lively and family-oriented.Special Features:
- Good ol' Joe'sNellVIPDined on 9/3/2014I applaud NYAJ for having a gluten-free menu! They are also accomodating when one asks for variations in preparation or ingredients. The food is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Love the place!DonnaDined on 8/29/2014fresh food, nice atmosphere and close to home! Manager walking around in case there are any problems…………………...Special Features:
- usual dinner spotMMMSteakDined on 8/29/2014Joe's has good food but since it is one of only a couple restaurants in Acton, we have H's every thing on the menu and it doesn't change all that often. .. They have new specials quarterly. The food is consistently good. On Friday and Saturday's you need to use open table to get a table during the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food choices.veggiegirlDined on 8/28/2014I enjoyed the variety on the menu. Being vegetarian, there are not always many options. NYAJ's provided more than enough food choices. The service was very good, and I do like the ability to make reservations online. This is very convenient.Special Features:
- Always excellent foodboltonflatsDined on 8/27/2014There is never a disappointment at Not Your Average Joes. What a great place. Service is extremely friendly and prompt, even when the place is crowded and very busy (which is almost always!).Special Features:
- Definitely recommendsumelarDined on 8/24/2014Food was delicious and came out quick; service was fantastic. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great experienceGracVIPDined on 8/20/2014I always have a great time at Not Your Average Joe's Acton. The food is great and the service fabulous even when it is really busy which it was when I visited this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great place, fast service, yummy food! Go with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerFishLoverDined on 8/17/2014I had the best herb encrusted haddock I've ever had with great tartar sauce. I had a box with leftovers and as I talked I ended up eating the whole thing before leaving. The waitress was excellent. What more can I say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average 'Burb ImprovementsMaggieVIPDined on 8/9/2014NYAJ's Action has improved noticeably in the areas of presentation and service. Due to lactose intolerance, I was thrilled to have a goat cheese option in the house-made cannelloni. Pasta, filling and sauce were well prepared and tasty. Diced veggies were great if a bit scarce to consider the dish healthy. The biggest improvements here were in Service. Our waitperson went above to check on ingredients, describe sides, and suggest pizza toppings. She also refreshed bottomless beverages automatically. This is an improvement upon the under-skilled (and perhaps under-aged) servers of the past at Not Your Average Joe's Action location. Now I'd call it a great suburban dinner and lunch spot with the note: not for night-owls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was less than averageKms62Dined on 8/1/2014I ordered mustard chicken and I could not taste any mustard. The chicken was tasteless and tough - usually a sign of being in the fridge too long. The mashed potato was great but the beans were hard. My 2 friends did not enjoy there meal either and our waitress was occupied elsewhere. This was my first time to NYAJ and I was disappointed. My roomie raved about NYAJ and has been there many times. The highlight of our dining experience was seeing my roomie pay for a guests meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Consistently decent food and an interesting menu. Lots of good gluten free choices. The waitress assumed my companion wanted the same size drink as I did in error and didn't pay too much attention to us, but she was fine. We will continue to come back as it is better than most places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded but worth itHectorDined on 7/31/2014This link in the NYAJ chain is one of the smaller ones, so it fills up very quickly. The food is excellent and the service is attentive. It is conveniently located making it a great place for a family to enjoy a good meal. The decor is retro which makes it intriguing, but it can get very noisy. The bill was $135 for a bottle of wine, an appetizer, 4 meals, and a desert. In addition they do birthday coupons, which deducted my meal and the desert from the total. Final cost: $105Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday with my familyThurstonDined on 7/29/2014We all look forward to celebrating our birthdays at NYAJ. We can count on good seafood and good service.Special Features:
- OKOldTomatoDined on 7/26/2014This was our first fair experience at NYAJ as it is usually excellent. My daughter's steak tips were too salty and the nachos are too fancy for us. However, the seafood stew was amazing.Special Features:
- Average Joe'shappyDined on 7/25/2014Food was GREAT!!! But the service was lacking. The waitress was not attentive and it felt like we were and afterthought. I had to signal her to get here attention... it was reflected in her tip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPamfDined on 7/23/2014Had the mustard chicken this time and it was delish! Greatvwaitress too!Special Features:
- sorry, but the entrees weren't goodsailingawayDined on 7/18/2014My pasta came out and it was clear it had been sitting under the heat lights a while, so all exposed noodles were very dry and chewy. Husband was not that wild about his haddock dish. Our girls were happy with their pizza choices.
- PlumbsDined on 7/17/2014I don't remember his name, but our waiter was excellent. When he initial came over, he asked if I would like the gluten-free rolls. He saw the gluten free menu before I had to tell him, and my friend & I were very impressed at how observant he was.Special Features:
- Great Night OutdiningwithfriendsDined on 7/17/2014Service was excellent. Food took longer than expected but we were continuously updated about this. No need to even ask. We had a wonderful time. Not ever rushed even though busy.Special Features:
- FoodloverFoodloverDined on 7/15/2014I always enjoy going to NYAJ in Acton. The food is good and the service too. And the bread and dip is to die for......once you eat one slice you have to force yourself to stp eating it. This last visit the restaurant was extremely busy. The waitress was very nice but got two of the orders wrong. It was quickly remedied and the rest of the evening was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- actonmanDined on 7/15/2014The food was good, but too expensive for what you get.
- accommodating to special dietLadyFromRyeDined on 7/12/2014Our party included a mobility-challenged person and a person with celiac disease. They were super-accommodating to special needs re: gluten-free choices and seating loacation so we were thrilled overall with our experience. Plus, the food was delicious and the service was very attentive. We were so delighted that we returned a day later for lunch with out-of-town guests, and they were also very happy with the food choices.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnertootallDined on 7/11/2014My overall experience for this visit was good. The kitchen missed adding the shrimp to my Chicken Oscar. The sever missed it too. We caught it later and my meal was immediately taken taken off our bill, no questions asked. This left us with a good feeling but we understand that it had happened to other people that night as well. We will definitely dine at Not Your Average Joe's again and hopefully the kitchen errors will be corrected by then.Special Features:
- Pecan chicken greatPamfDined on 7/10/2014The pecan crusted chicken is wonderful! I hope you keep it on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow - Slow - slowUsernicknameDined on 7/2/2014Had a 7:15 reservation and waited 15 minutes for table. Ordered an appetizer (stuffed quahogs) which took about 20 minutes to arrive. They were presented on a salt lick and were almost inedibly salty. Waited another 1/2 hour for dinner and 20 more minutes for dessert. Our server was excellent - Brandy did the best she could given the fact that the kitchen's 'slowness' was beyond her control. We had a gift card that we were told expired, but the manager, Meredith was very accommodating and fixed that issue promptly. We are almost regulars at Joe's in Acton, and the thing that keeps us coming back is the staff - always friendly and always on top of their game. The food and the timeliness in which it arrived was a problem, however.Special Features:
- GlutenGlutenproblemsDined on 6/28/2014Hi Love the menu and the gluten free side! We asked the waitress if the Mojihto was gluten free? The bartender said yes! I had two raspberry Mojhito's and became violently ill and had to leave. I left my 100.00 dollar dinner in your parking lot and all along rte 27 on way home. You need to advise that the Mojhito mixes can have elements of gluten and your stafff needs to be more careful! The bartender had long blonde hair and we will not be ordering at your restaurant anymore.Special Features:
- BobbiDined on 6/26/2014Food is always excellent at NYAJ's. We particularly like the tuna wonton appetizer - delish!Special Features:
- Service / FoodGoodies1949Dined on 6/25/2014The waitress was friendly and was excellent with service. They accommodate you when you desire a former recipe that is no longer shown on the menu. I absolutely love Not Your Average Joe and have brought at least 10 individuals to introcuce them to Not Your Average Joes's in Acton.Special Features:
- Thankyou for the Birthday DinnerOutWithFriends622Dined on 6/23/2014It was a great night with 2 of my friends that I haven't seen in a while. and the Birthday Dinner/Dessert coupon you sent me in the mail made it even better. The food is delicious and great choices. Prices are good. The only issue is the noise level and the cramped seating if you are not in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Due to health issues, my wife asked for a special non-alcoholic non-citrus drink, and they whipped one up on the spot. And because we told them it our our anniversary, we weren't even charge for it! We go to NYAJ often because, frankly, we like it.Special Features: