Not Your Average Joe's Acton
305 Main Street
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Acton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 9786350101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: G. Mendes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Acton
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Acton - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
Not Your Average Joe's Acton reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (89)neighborhood gem (81)great for lunch (79)good for groups (75)special occasion (42)fit for foodies (37)hot spot (24)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)romantic (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014There is never a disappointment at Not Your Average Joes. What a great place. Service is extremely friendly and prompt, even when the place is crowded and very busy (which is almost always!).Special Features:
- Definitely recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Food was delicious and came out quick; service was fantastic. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great experienceGracVIPDined on 8/20/2014I always have a great time at Not Your Average Joe's Acton. The food is great and the service fabulous even when it is really busy which it was when I visited this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great place, fast service, yummy food! Go with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerFishLoverDined on 8/17/2014I had the best herb encrusted haddock I've ever had with great tartar sauce. I had a box with leftovers and as I talked I ended up eating the whole thing before leaving. The waitress was excellent. What more can I say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average 'Burb ImprovementsMaggieVIPDined on 8/9/2014NYAJ's Action has improved noticeably in the areas of presentation and service. Due to lactose intolerance, I was thrilled to have a goat cheese option in the house-made cannelloni. Pasta, filling and sauce were well prepared and tasty. Diced veggies were great if a bit scarce to consider the dish healthy. The biggest improvements here were in Service. Our waitperson went above to check on ingredients, describe sides, and suggest pizza toppings. She also refreshed bottomless beverages automatically. This is an improvement upon the under-skilled (and perhaps under-aged) servers of the past at Not Your Average Joe's Action location. Now I'd call it a great suburban dinner and lunch spot with the note: not for night-owls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was less than averageKms62Dined on 8/1/2014I ordered mustard chicken and I could not taste any mustard. The chicken was tasteless and tough - usually a sign of being in the fridge too long. The mashed potato was great but the beans were hard. My 2 friends did not enjoy there meal either and our waitress was occupied elsewhere. This was my first time to NYAJ and I was disappointed. My roomie raved about NYAJ and has been there many times. The highlight of our dining experience was seeing my roomie pay for a guests meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Consistently decent food and an interesting menu. Lots of good gluten free choices. The waitress assumed my companion wanted the same size drink as I did in error and didn't pay too much attention to us, but she was fine. We will continue to come back as it is better than most places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded but worth itHectorDined on 7/31/2014This link in the NYAJ chain is one of the smaller ones, so it fills up very quickly. The food is excellent and the service is attentive. It is conveniently located making it a great place for a family to enjoy a good meal. The decor is retro which makes it intriguing, but it can get very noisy. The bill was $135 for a bottle of wine, an appetizer, 4 meals, and a desert. In addition they do birthday coupons, which deducted my meal and the desert from the total. Final cost: $105Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday with my familyThurstonDined on 7/29/2014We all look forward to celebrating our birthdays at NYAJ. We can count on good seafood and good service.Special Features:
- OKOldTomatoDined on 7/26/2014This was our first fair experience at NYAJ as it is usually excellent. My daughter's steak tips were too salty and the nachos are too fancy for us. However, the seafood stew was amazing.Special Features:
- Average Joe'shappyDined on 7/25/2014Food was GREAT!!! But the service was lacking. The waitress was not attentive and it felt like we were and afterthought. I had to signal her to get here attention... it was reflected in her tip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPamfDined on 7/23/2014Had the mustard chicken this time and it was delish! Greatvwaitress too!Special Features:
- sorry, but the entrees weren't goodsailingawayDined on 7/18/2014My pasta came out and it was clear it had been sitting under the heat lights a while, so all exposed noodles were very dry and chewy. Husband was not that wild about his haddock dish. Our girls were happy with their pizza choices.
- PlumbsDined on 7/17/2014I don't remember his name, but our waiter was excellent. When he initial came over, he asked if I would like the gluten-free rolls. He saw the gluten free menu before I had to tell him, and my friend & I were very impressed at how observant he was.Special Features:
- Great Night OutdiningwithfriendsDined on 7/17/2014Service was excellent. Food took longer than expected but we were continuously updated about this. No need to even ask. We had a wonderful time. Not ever rushed even though busy.Special Features:
- FoodloverFoodloverDined on 7/15/2014I always enjoy going to NYAJ in Acton. The food is good and the service too. And the bread and dip is to die for......once you eat one slice you have to force yourself to stp eating it. This last visit the restaurant was extremely busy. The waitress was very nice but got two of the orders wrong. It was quickly remedied and the rest of the evening was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- actonmanDined on 7/15/2014The food was good, but too expensive for what you get.
- accommodating to special dietLadyFromRyeDined on 7/12/2014Our party included a mobility-challenged person and a person with celiac disease. They were super-accommodating to special needs re: gluten-free choices and seating loacation so we were thrilled overall with our experience. Plus, the food was delicious and the service was very attentive. We were so delighted that we returned a day later for lunch with out-of-town guests, and they were also very happy with the food choices.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnertootallDined on 7/11/2014My overall experience for this visit was good. The kitchen missed adding the shrimp to my Chicken Oscar. The sever missed it too. We caught it later and my meal was immediately taken taken off our bill, no questions asked. This left us with a good feeling but we understand that it had happened to other people that night as well. We will definitely dine at Not Your Average Joe's again and hopefully the kitchen errors will be corrected by then.Special Features:
- Pecan chicken greatPamfDined on 7/10/2014The pecan crusted chicken is wonderful! I hope you keep it on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow - Slow - slowUsernicknameDined on 7/2/2014Had a 7:15 reservation and waited 15 minutes for table. Ordered an appetizer (stuffed quahogs) which took about 20 minutes to arrive. They were presented on a salt lick and were almost inedibly salty. Waited another 1/2 hour for dinner and 20 more minutes for dessert. Our server was excellent - Brandy did the best she could given the fact that the kitchen's 'slowness' was beyond her control. We had a gift card that we were told expired, but the manager, Meredith was very accommodating and fixed that issue promptly. We are almost regulars at Joe's in Acton, and the thing that keeps us coming back is the staff - always friendly and always on top of their game. The food and the timeliness in which it arrived was a problem, however.Special Features:
- GlutenGlutenproblemsDined on 6/28/2014Hi Love the menu and the gluten free side! We asked the waitress if the Mojihto was gluten free? The bartender said yes! I had two raspberry Mojhito's and became violently ill and had to leave. I left my 100.00 dollar dinner in your parking lot and all along rte 27 on way home. You need to advise that the Mojhito mixes can have elements of gluten and your stafff needs to be more careful! The bartender had long blonde hair and we will not be ordering at your restaurant anymore.Special Features:
- BobbiDined on 6/26/2014Food is always excellent at NYAJ's. We particularly like the tuna wonton appetizer - delish!Special Features:
- Service / FoodGoodies1949Dined on 6/25/2014The waitress was friendly and was excellent with service. They accommodate you when you desire a former recipe that is no longer shown on the menu. I absolutely love Not Your Average Joe and have brought at least 10 individuals to introcuce them to Not Your Average Joes's in Acton.Special Features:
- Thankyou for the Birthday DinnerOutWithFriends622Dined on 6/23/2014It was a great night with 2 of my friends that I haven't seen in a while. and the Birthday Dinner/Dessert coupon you sent me in the mail made it even better. The food is delicious and great choices. Prices are good. The only issue is the noise level and the cramped seating if you are not in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Due to health issues, my wife asked for a special non-alcoholic non-citrus drink, and they whipped one up on the spot. And because we told them it our our anniversary, we weren't even charge for it! We go to NYAJ often because, frankly, we like it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Food was delicious and the service was excellent. $9 for a glass of wine; seems a bit high would be my complaint as far as pricing goes. A little noisy there but I really enjoy the food there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day for large group of 11docadinesDined on 6/15/2014Ambiance in NYAJs is very nice. Love that the menu and nutrition info is available online and accomodates diners with dietary restrictions. Given that it was a busy holiday the service was very good. Food options somewhat limited and change on a regular basis which can be a possible issue depending upon the preferences of the diner. Our son was disappointed - looking for a dish that he had had previously enjoyed (vietnamese salmon) but is no longer offered. The glazed salmon was cooked properly, chicken with pecans with sweet potato fries very good as well. Carrot cake was ok, should have gone for the peanut butter thing which is a signature dessert. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Hit-or-miss service; tricky menu.tjBostonDined on 6/15/2014Our experience here each time varies greatly on the server. Sometimes we get pampered and well taken care of; sometimes, like this time, we get grumpy perfunctory treatment and bare-bones super-slow service. We both tried their new seasonal Carolina Pecan Chicken. One out of the four pieces was extremely raw inside, which is understandable because it is a tricky thing to cook without burning the pecans on the outside. It was quickly replaced, and the manager showed proper concern for the error and took the raw piece back to the kitchen for them to see & learn from. It was handled exactly the way it should have been, and I congratulate them on how they're trying to improve. The cooked pieces were all delicious, with an awesome mustard sauceSpecial Features:
- As Always - a delicious meal!EmilyDined on 6/14/2014We are regulars at "Joe's" and our last visit lived up to the delight of the former ones! I tried the vegetarian version of one of their entrees, and it was yummy. 3 "cannellonis" filled w kale, artichoke, cheese (sorry vegans) and other delicious ingredients. I usually don't order vegetarian entrees, but was glad I did. They subbed in delicious whole green beans for the squash summer medley. Always flexible, always fun, always delicious!! We also bought a gift card that night and got an appreciation card, for future use. GOOD DEAL!!!Special Features:
- Love it hereLeepenn59Dined on 6/12/2014The salads are awesome. I love the raspberry goat cheese salad and I usually add the salmon to it. Filling but healthy! The seasonal sangrias are not to be missed either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place.grt2eatDined on 6/12/2014The friends we brought with us were "first time" customers and they liked it very much...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueparsleyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Went for a ladies night on Wednesday. NYAJ does a special "WINESDAY" $39.99 for 2 entrees and a bottle of wine. The salmon was excellent and the paired sauvignon blanc was more than decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsDannyboyDined on 6/8/2014NYAJ never disappoints a diner. On this occasion, we were a group of 15. Aaron was new on the job: took care of all our needs. Our group was made up of adults and Tweens and teens; We had gluten fee, sugar free, and carb free (none of that delicious focaccia for her!) as always NYAJ chefs took good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swift seating and serviceLadyJaneVIPDined on 6/4/2014Another great meal at NYAJ in Acton, which is always the case. The service was impeccable and the seating was immediate, which is not always typical at this very busy local hot spot! We love to come here and look forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy but goodJohnDined on 6/3/2014Very busy on a Tuesday night, so server was not as attentive, but still did okay. Enjoyed the special Java pork entree with corn cakes and mango jicama slaw. Could have skipped the caesar salad, because lots of slaw. We also had the saffron cod over crab cake in lobster broth, but the crab cake dissolved in the broth. Cod was very good, but crab cake would have been better separate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average Joe'svbs1Dined on 5/31/2014Never disappointed. Good food and service at a reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- Unexpectedly good serviceSweetTVIPDined on 5/30/2014NYAJ's is a fun family restaurant and we've enjoyed this location several times before, but tonight's service was exceptional. My family has several allergies, and while we are always treated well with our special orders, tonight's service by the server and the manager was simply over the top. NYAJ's isn't a high brow restaurant, but the service we received tonight was better than many experiences at some of the best rated restaurants in Boston. The management of this location should be commended for how incredibly well they treated a special set of guests, especially considering how busy the restaurant was that evening.Special Features:
- Always GreatBrewtalboyzDined on 5/30/2014We don't go out to eat a whole lot, maybe 1-2 times per month. We go to NYAJ 2-3 times a year (we'd go more but the nearest one is 40 minutes away). NYAJ is consistently great. They treat their customers extremely well and the managers are very active.Special Features: