Not Your Average Joe's Acton
305 Main Street
Acton, MA 01720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Acton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 9786350101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: G. Mendes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Acton
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Not Your Average Joe's Acton - Best Restaurants in Acton ›
Not Your Average Joe's Acton reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)good for groups (78)kid-friendly (71)great for lunch (69)fit for foodies (40)special occasion (32)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (14)late-night find (9)notable wine list (6)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OktoberfestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014We had an impromptu night out when we got the NYAJ email regarding their Octoberfest special. They do try to have a good beer selection. Food is always good here.Special Features:
- Solid Food. Solid ExperienceMerleDined on 10/21/2014We joined friends for dinner. Be sure to make a reservation if possible - dinnertime is always busy - a good sign. Dinner was fine - you can make do easily with pizza, appetizers or main courses - and the beer list gets better and better. Check out the monthly specials!Special Features:
- hopping in ActonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014overall everything was good. was surprised how busy it was on a Tuesday night. the only problem we had was between the noise level and the sound level and how fast our friend talks, it was hard to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantBob39Dined on 10/20/2014Good food, good cocktails (reasonably priced), great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great for Momma's birthday. The margarita was very good.Special Features:
- Local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Always can count a good meal and good service. Enjoyed the seasonal beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe's is our default restaurantShelleyDined on 10/11/2014Normally, I rate a meal at Joe's as very good. This time however, I found their new menu to be lackluster. I chose two appetizers as my entree. The lamb sliders with pickled veggies and whipped smoked feta sounded good except that I can't eat smoked cheese. The restaurant was gracious enough to say that they could substitute regular feta. When the dish arrived, the brioche bun overwhelmed the flat patty of ground lamb and there was no feta. Our server quickly returned with ice cold feta, not whipped. It was impossible to keep the chunks of feta on the sandwich. My other dish was a flat bread pizza which I enjoyed. Graciously, the manager took the sliders off our bill. Despite this less than stellar visit I will return.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectSweetnsavoryDined on 10/11/2014Great spot for our group to have lunch, wonderful service, food was great except the pumpkin cheesecake fell short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than average tonight...BrewstaBoyVIPDined on 10/9/2014This place can be a hit-or-miss proposition, with missed or mis-timed orders, overcooked burgers and long wait times among the sometimes complaints. Tonight, everything went smoothly and we had a lovely meal. The steak frittes was very good and plentiful, and the kitchen kindly substituted spinach for watercress. My daughter's cannelloni was nicely prepared as well, though it seemed a tad overpriced (given their menu) at $16.99. Great carrot cake to round off a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Locale - Service wantingRayfromActonDined on 10/8/2014Food was great. Waitress was more than a bit brusque and seemed harried - poor tableside manner. For a busy night the food was still exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but only fair serviceBostonDriverDined on 10/4/2014We went there Saturday night with some friends who were in from out-of-town. Joe's is in your TGIF/Appleby's class, but with better food. A huge plus is the ability to make a reservation. We had made one for 7pm, and were seated promptly upon our arrival. The menu selection was pretty good for this type of casual dining place, and all 6 of us enjoyed our meals. Service, however, was not so good. There were long delays between the ordering and the delivery of our food. Fortunately, this wasn't an issue for us because we were in no rush. If we were, however, it would have been a problem. Total cost for the 6 of us was about $240. That included drinks, a few appetizers, coffees, tax, && tip. BOTTOM LINE: We'd go back again.Special Features:
- Crowded at 5:30!Whats4DinnerVIPDined on 10/4/2014I did not expect Not Your Average Joe's to be crowded at 5:30, but I made a reservation to send an invite to friends. Turns out the wait was 20 minutes for a party of three. Guess I don't know the Acton dining scene! Pi was pleased that this restaurant featured the Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale rather than the shandy they were serving in Medford. Otherwise, standard, solid NYAJ visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-service speed lackingMish2702Dined on 10/2/2014I made a reservation, luckily, because it was very busy. We had to wait about 10 minutes, which wasn't really a problem. As always, the bread and oil was fantastic and our waiter was very friendly. The speed at which we got our drinks and meals was on the slow side (had we gotten our drinks sooner we would've ordered more than one). It was very busy, but at the same time, this is what you do every night, so you'd think that the kinks would be worked out to get things running at a better pace. We weren't in a rush, but I could easily see other people not being happy about it. I always like going to Not Your Average Joe's and I have no doubts I will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fineNicknameVIPDined on 10/2/2014Joe's is one of our regular places. Everything was fine on our most recent visit - the food was very good and the service was excellent. When the restaurant is full the noise level is pretty high.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014Our waitress was the best! The service was awesome. The food was scrumptiousSpecial Features:
- Below Average ExperienceDishDined on 9/28/2014The food and service was good as always but the restaurant was out of several drinks and entrees. Two of the alcoholic drinks and one of the entrees we ordered were not available.Special Features:
- Foccachio Bread Rules!BeaujolaisDined on 9/26/2014Nice menu selection. Attentive waitstaff. Try not to fill up on the signature Foccachio bread. And it's only 5 miles away from where I live!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent FoodCatloverDined on 9/26/2014I love Joe's. You know that the food quality is consistent. You can set up a reservation on Open table. I was able to get a reservation for 6:45 on a Friday night and I had just made my reservation at 5pm the same night. There are a lot of people that do not realize how easy it is to make the online reservation. I would never go there on a Friday or Saturday without a reservation.Special Features:
- fifty- fiftyajayeDined on 9/26/2014backyard burger, the burger was fine the fries were cool, soggy, and burnt. cranberry-teriyaki chicken with butternut squash cannelloni, the chicken was dry / overcooked, the cannelloni was fine. 50/50 is the best i can say about this experience. have been to joe's many times, this is the first bad experience, however it has changed my opinion about selecting joe's the next time.
- MjAllycatDined on 9/26/2014Service was very slow. Food was not hot. I have been to this restaurant many times and always had a good dining experience. This time was a disappointment.
- Awesome foodpandagirlDined on 9/25/2014I like the variety of food and the seasonal finds. I am a vegetarian and there is always something delicious for me to enjoy. The prices are reasonable. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- a nice venuemaygobackDined on 9/24/2014We've been to NYAJ's a few times, but are not "regulars", nor are we "foodies". They do put out a consistent product, which is important to me. However, they also put out a fair share of improperly seasoned food. I recently had their Sweet Blue Burger with hand-cut fries. It's not something I would order again. I had to add mayo to the burger just to give it some flavor. For every bite I got that didn't contain any bleu cheese, it was very blah. As for the fries, I like mine to be crispy and lightly salted, but these were all limp and unsalted, so that was very unappealing to me. I will say that their mustard-crusted chicken is very delicious. I've had it a couple of times and it doesn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Nice place to celebrate birthdaystoma2zDined on 9/20/2014We always find NYAJs is a friendly, convenient place to celebrate a birthday. The food and atmosphere is friendly to all ages! We love their seasonal fare and creative dishes with a lot of vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied menuNellVIPDined on 9/19/2014The best thing about NYAJ's is the large amount of choices on the menu...something for everyone. They are also accommodating re preparations. But if you are looking for someplace to have a quiet conversation, this is not it.Special Features:
- Little disappointedActondinerDined on 9/15/2014The food was not up to their usual standards. The french fries were soggy. There was something off about the first few bites of my cobb salad. And the garnish on my carrot cake was wilted. Their seemed to be a special beer and dinner tasting going on next to us, I wonder if the kitchen was busier that night than usual with the special offering.Special Features:
- We love it hereDonnaDined on 9/14/2014Great restaurant if you just want a pizza or a delicious meal:)Special Features:
- always a great mealgardengal4Dined on 9/14/2014I choose NYAJs because it is a perfect halfway meeting point for my friends but the meal and service are always great and worth the ride. U git the mustard/Panko chicken which was probably not the best thing ive eaten there but it was enjoyable. The bread is to die for. The dipping sauce is too hot for my taste. Should have a milder option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014It is not frequent that I have an issue with my food at Not Your Average Joes-but when I have, they are apologetic, replace the food immediately and take the meal off of the bill. This trip, our meals seemed to be taking an unusually long time to arrive and the manager came over and told us that my chicken was overcooked and they therefore wouldn't serve it. They recooked all our food (so it would all arrive together) and took my meal off of the bill. You won't find many places as proactive as that! We keep going back over and over!Special Features:
- Good evening overallIdgothereagainDined on 9/13/2014We had a very nice waiter who did well by us when a mistake was made. Someone delivered our salad to the wrong table which caused a delay in our service. He comped the salad which was yummy. He also made sure that our dinners arrived hot after we had plenty of time to finish our salads. And he also gave us a free dessert. We didn't ask for any of the freebies and hadn't even complained about the delay. We certainly appreciated his effort to make up the error. Oh--and we enjoyed our dinner, too!Special Features:
- Go JoemangeDined on 9/12/2014NYAJ is always a pleasure, and this time was no different - the birthday celebration for my son was easy, charming and well served.Special Features:
- Great timefoodie9VIPDined on 9/8/2014Celebrating a birthday. Great food and service as usual. A standard -- the scallops -- and a special -- the pork tenderloin -- were both excellent. We'll be back -- as usual!Special Features:
- JackDined on 9/6/2014We are frequent patrons of Not Your Average Joes in Acton and other locations. We consider the food to be excellent and have never had a complaint. However, this time one of us had a salad with chicken on it and the meat tasted very strange but the rest of the salad was very good. We mentioned this to a manager when he stopped by our table and as a result we were not charged for the salad which was a very nice gesture. We will definitely be going back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Goodsteve830Dined on 9/6/2014Although a chain, the food at NYAJ is always very good. The wait staff is attentive and friendly. It's a nice touch that the mgr at each location always comes by your table to check on your overall experience. I had the jambalaya which was perfectly spiced for my taste, with plenty of shrimp, chicken and sausage My wife actually requested that they combine elements of 2 different entrees into a specialized dish and they had no problem in satisfying her request. We've been here many times and will continue to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the pork tenderloinGPx4Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I go to NYAJ about once a month. We enjoy their creative offerings, and love their bread. My wife had the Harvest Pork Tenderloin which was fabulous. That's one of the September specials. I ordered Goat Cheese and Artichoke Cannelloni with Basil Chicken. That was not so great. The chicken, while tasty, was dry. I forgot what the filling was in the cannellonis, and unfortunately was unable to identify the goat cheese and artichoke as such--it was kind of bland, and the artichokes seemed like potatoes. That aside, the service was fantastic, attentive but not too much, and the atmosphere (we went before 6:00) was lively and family-oriented.Special Features:
- Good ol' Joe'sNellVIPDined on 9/3/2014I applaud NYAJ for having a gluten-free menu! They are also accomodating when one asks for variations in preparation or ingredients. The food is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- Love the place!DonnaDined on 8/29/2014fresh food, nice atmosphere and close to home! Manager walking around in case there are any problems…………………...Special Features:
- usual dinner spotMMMSteakDined on 8/29/2014Joe's has good food but since it is one of only a couple restaurants in Acton, we have H's every thing on the menu and it doesn't change all that often. .. They have new specials quarterly. The food is consistently good. On Friday and Saturday's you need to use open table to get a table during the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food choices.veggiegirlDined on 8/28/2014I enjoyed the variety on the menu. Being vegetarian, there are not always many options. NYAJ's provided more than enough food choices. The service was very good, and I do like the ability to make reservations online. This is very convenient.Special Features:
- Always excellent foodboltonflatsDined on 8/27/2014There is never a disappointment at Not Your Average Joes. What a great place. Service is extremely friendly and prompt, even when the place is crowded and very busy (which is almost always!).Special Features:
- Definitely recommendsumelarDined on 8/24/2014Food was delicious and came out quick; service was fantastic. We will definitely be going back.Special Features: