1401 SE Morrison
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nostrana.com/
- Phone: 5032342427
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cathy Whims
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nostrana
Nostrana - Literally "ours' - invokes local. Simple food from honest ingredients. Pure. Regional. Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Nostrana - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Nostrana reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)special occasion (109)neighborhood gem (103)notable wine list (78)great for outdoor dining (72)good for groups (59)romantic (51)great for lunch (42)hot spot (31)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Food was great - short but well thought-out menu, wine list is good. Moderately priced, but totally worth it. We sat outside, but the inside is very cosy as well. Great all around!Special Features:
- I'd go back for the bread aloneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Wow, Nostrana's bread--and pizza crust--are super delicious. Sour and chewy sourdough crust, soft and spongey inside, dipped in olive oil. Yum! The salad, while it appeared simple enough, consisted of fresh and flavorful crunchy veggies--what a delight. A delicious chianti. The albacore tuna with aioli was served with yummy buttery corn, scrumptious Lil's peppers. While the fish was good, the veggies were the stars. I ordered a side of crispy polenta with salsa verde, and it lacked something. Keep working on that one, guys; it's almost there. The espresso gelato was so good, it didn't need the chocolate sauce, but we ate it anyway. My partner had pizza and loved it. The atmosphere was comfortable and competent.Special Features:
- ReservationRmsrvceDined on 9/12/2014I made a reservation for 2 for a birthday celebration. The restaurant had very few people when I arrived and was given a table that was ok but not a desirable location. I then observed many others be kin seated in much more desirable locations without a reservation. That was disappointing. The food, as always, was perfect and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Dave & LeenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Of course, Rob Roy is a friend of ours too, but Michael, our waiter, went out of his way to give us a an exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margarita Pizza in PortlandTheExperienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014Love Nostrana! Big open, high ceilings, wood burning pizza oven that also prepares fresh fruit crisps for dessert! Always changing seasonal menu! The margarita pizza is the best we've had since we left Italy! They have a 2 kilo steak like they serve in Florence! Pasta seasonal and changing..What's not to like? Have a reservation as it is always busy! Parking is in a lot or street, but sometimes can be tricky! Great wine list from all over Italy!Special Features:
- Love NostranaNWinDined on 9/5/2014As people who do not dine out very often, heading to Nostrana is a real treat. Our experience this week was good, but not great. The food was delicious, service was fine, but we didn't get sat for our 8:00 pm reservation until 8:30 and people who ordered after us received their entree well before we did. Our entree arrived at about 9:30 - well after what we anticipated would be a reasonable time frame with an 8:00 pm reservation. The restaurant was packed, they clearly are not lacking for business. We'll be back again, but we'll aim for an earlier reservation next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NostranaMVdiningoutDined on 9/5/2014Catching up with a friend @ Nostrana was an excellent idea! Our waiter helped me pair an excellent wine with my pasta dish. All of our food was delicious, came at a good pace, was nicely seasoned, and was easy to share. One of my favorite spots, always a good choice for dining out!Special Features:
- Great food.AussieDined on 9/2/2014We had a very nice dining experiance on the front patio. Service was excellent and the food was outstanding. What a variety of tastes. Great selection of Lambrusco's also. Well recomended for the adventerous foodie.Special Features:
- Good Italian foodmtf419VIPDined on 9/2/2014I dined at Nostrana on the recommendation of Eater PDX, which usually doesn't steer me wrong, even if it occasionally contributes to undeserved hype. I didn't love the strip-mall location or the cavernous, brew pub feel, but that's not really what good food is about anyway. Nostrana has really inventive, not at all boring, Italian food. It's the kind of place you'd bring out of town guests who aren't into the "weirdness" of Portland. The pasta dishes were very flavorful, and if you like spicy thin crust pizza, it's definitely worth ordering. The prices seem just a tad on the high side for Portland, especially given all of the reasonable and stellar eating options, but it's hard to complain (I'm certainly not) when the food is this good.
- BADOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I had res for 5:00 and they would not let us in until 5:15. The food was expensive and I thought it wood be great for that price but it was very very disappointing!! Will not go back.
- Just the PlaceThumbsDined on 8/31/2014Nostrana is the place for all of our varied family celebrations. It also serves as the mom-dad-get-away-from-the-kids-and-sit-at-the-bar-place. Great space. Great cocktails. Great salads and steak.Special Features:
- a memorable mealcb3pdxDined on 8/30/2014We had a great time, the food and service were outstanding...next time, I'd love to try the pizza and a cocktail. The three of us split the 2.2# Bistecca, perfectly prepared, and had a lot of it left to take home. The heirloom tomato salad, Nostrana salad and pappardelle were excellent too...sorry we had no room for dessert! Great wine selection as well, wish I had seen the wine flights, would have loved to have tried that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Outstanding place to bring out-of-town guests. They were very impressed.Special Features:
- Wonderful night out.happymomDined on 8/25/2014Took my daughter out for her 17th birthday and was very pleased with everything. Dinner was amazing loved the atmosphere. Totally impressed with Everything!!!! Food, service, everything. Even impressed my daughter and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama Mia's is betterluv4mamamiaDined on 8/22/2014We were curious why this restaurant was rated higher then mama mia's so we decided to try it out and we will definitely be going back to mama mia's. The food was okay at nostrana, but nothing special.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Noisy, curt service, definite sense of being hurried for next seating, food was good but nothing special.
- Average lunchkrasVIPDined on 8/21/2014Met friends at Nostrana for lunch last week. Though this has become our favorite Portland restaurant in the past year (we've almost always gone for dinner), luncheon that day was just so-so. Nevertheless, we'll surely go back.Special Features:
- Nostrana11goose19VIPDined on 8/20/2014One of my many visits to Nostrana and it has remained one of my go to restaurants for very good italian food, pizza etc. This time was no exception.Special Features:
- FABbdaygirlDined on 8/19/2014I had a very intimate dinner with my Boyfriend on my birthday. The staff was gracious and the crisp was worth the wait!! I admit to being a food snob and have no complaints. The salad was fresh and crisp, the tuna was cooked to perfection and the desert was heavenly. I will return, that is a promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessert, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I suggest you only go for the Butterscotch Budino dessert. The service is very inattentive and slow. Noise level is high. Food choices are slim.
- Always deliciousSoutherntransplantDined on 8/14/2014Menus set daily to take advantage of what's fresh and fabulous. The pastas are wonderful and gnocchi are light as air. Salads are big enough to share, and that's not a bad idea if you're worried about having room for dinner. Flavors are fantastic, wonderful fresh ingredients, and plating is always attractive. This is fine dining in a nice-casual atmosphere. Give it a try - and if you like salted caramel you HAVE TO save room for the butterscotch bundino for dessert! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 8/14/2014The service is second to none -- timely, engaging without being intrusive, and knowledgeable. A very nice neighborhood restauarant with neighborhood prices and downtown food. Excellent all around! We visit Portland once a year usually and were pleased to find Nostrana. Thank you!Special Features:
- SWfromSFVIPDined on 8/10/2014As a somewhat spoiled (food-wise) San Franciscan, I have to say I was absolutely blown away and delighted by Nostrana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in PDXMomfoodieDined on 8/9/2014The food, the ambience and the wine list are all superior to any other restaurant in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great! Service very slow & oddJennyDined on 8/7/2014Food was great, service was bad. I hope they just had an off night. I left a long review on their Facebook page. I would recommend this place for the food and hope you don't have the same experience that I had w/ the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Itailian FoodHappyFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Great Gnocci, pizza, salad and service. What's more to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itMelindaDined on 8/5/2014Not my favorite server Brent.. he was borderline rude and over often. ..never had that in 3-4 times a month for over 3 years. Just FYI try to avoid him and have a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly disappointing...NancyGDined on 8/5/2014I've been wanting to try Nostrana for awhile. I met a friend for lunch. I ordered capellini with clams. My dish had maybe 7 dime-sized clams. The capellini was a blob, stuck together and dry with a few herbs scattered on top. For $17. For lunch! I won't be returning. Perhaps just a bad day. But unfortunately, it was the day I went.
- Delicious DinnerPdxmissalDined on 8/4/2014Special anniversary dinner and a great place to celebrate. Food was wonderful from the Tuna and Bean salad to the Blackberry Crisp. Our server was attentive without being overbearing and liked that they put the water right on the table in a carafe - especially since it was 90 degrees outside. Patio looked lovely but dined inside. Restaurant was fairly full on a Monday night so noise was manageable but the gorgeous open ceilings might mean it was fairly noisy on a really crowded night if you were in the middle of the room.Special Features:
- Nostrana - always a treat!krasVIPDined on 8/4/2014Nostrana never fails to provide the freshest, tastiest dinners (or lunches) in Portland, OR. It has become our favorite place to dine. Menu changes often to reflect what's seasonal.Special Features:
- Perfect LunchRoadwarriorDined on 8/4/2014Pizza and Salad were Superb! Very tasty and visually outstanding. Service was attentive without hovering. Ambience was excellent for a casual lunch or special occasion. Love the open beams and tall wall of wine. We will look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SmileyDined on 8/2/2014We sat on the patio and it was very lovely and quiet. Initially they seated us indoors and it was quite noisy so we asked to change. The radicchio salad was great, the pizza was OK, nothing amazing.Special Features:
- A good experience.DinnerManDined on 7/31/2014Overall our experience here was good. The food was very good, the service was ok, and the ambience was good. The wine pours were very thin, which was disappointing. Overall I'd recommend this place although I don't know if it was remarkable enough that I'd go back (for the price).I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I asked for a quiet table because my mother, 87+, had issues with hearing. Thank you for your attention to that detail.Special Features:
- Best Pizza in PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014For fantastic wood fired pizza and the best salad in town, visit Nostrana. The servers are on-point, friendly and gracious. The food is always incredible.Special Features:
- North/Central Italian GemdrdawgDined on 7/29/2014Outstanding dinner menu with a wine list to match. Very accommodating and friendly staff. At times a little noisy on the street noise, but quieter than inside.Special Features:
- July 28, 2014Snapper73Dined on 7/28/2014First time at Nostrana & I was not disappointed. All in our group were pleased with our dining experience and the food. The Insalata Nostrana was very good, as was my tuna entre. Ended with the fresh mint gelato which was excellent. The only downer was our waiter who was very indifferent. Think we will try the outdoor seating area next time.Special Features:
- Lovely Night Outc8ic8Dined on 7/28/2014My husband and I went to Nostrana for our wedding anniversary dinner. We were treated well by the staff and served a delicious meal. The standout dishes: A tomato salad recommended by the waitress, the artisan bread served as an appetizer, and the butterscotch budino we had for dessert. The entrees were also good--we had a mushroom pizza and a pesto sauced pasta--but slightly over seasoned for our taste. We also waited a bit longer than we would have liked to place our dessert order. Still, it was all around a very positive experience and we would definitely go back for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014The meal was great except for the Mista Salad which arrived at the table with the dressing ingredients on the side. I don't come to a great restaurant to prepare my own food- I'd rather someone better than me so that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for GuestsslduganDined on 7/26/2014Wonderful dinner and a great place to take out of town company....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.