1401 SE Morrison
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nostrana.com/
- Phone: 5032342427x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cathy Whims
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nostrana
Nostrana - Literally "ours' - invokes local. Simple food from honest ingredients. Pure. Regional. Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Nostrana - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Nostrana reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)neighborhood gem (110)special occasion (105)notable wine list (78)great for outdoor dining (71)good for groups (59)romantic (54)great for lunch (41)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (20)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014Visiting from our of town, much hype behind this place, believe the hype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBurgundyboyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Friends recommended this great place and they are very accommodating and the service was very fun and friendly. Great food and we look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- A sure betDrinkyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nostrana is one of our favorite restaurants in Portland and is on our regular rotation. It is one of the places we love to bring visitors from out of town. It is consistently a great experience. The excellent food, service, drink, and lively atmosphere keep us coming back.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysVLMShayDined on 9/27/2014I've been to Nostrana many times and the food is always wonderful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- nostranaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food was wonderful but service was lacking. We had to ask our waitress for services that she seemed to forget about several times. Just seemed the place was under staffed and she was overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Delicious!CaraDined on 9/25/2014Brought my parents here when they were visiting from out of town. We all tried different things and it was all delicious! The service was pretty good too and the atmosphere was great. I would recommend this to anyone that likes Italian food.Special Features:
- Nostrana11goose19VIPDined on 9/24/2014Pizza diavalo and fungi verde were baked just right with thin crust with enough char . The nostra a radicchio ceased salad is a must have dish. Also pasta with lamb ham was very good. Service is attentive . Wine list has many reasonably priced wines to choose from.Special Features:
- A consistent wow in dining pleasureFineDinahDined on 9/24/2014We keep coming back to Nostrana because there are always new surprises along with assured excellence in atmosphere and service. They change their menu at least weekly and even though you may feel a touch of disappointment that something unforgettable that you ate there before isn't on the current menu, you will find something new to swoon over as you eat it. The wait staff are friendly and engaging - and happy to explain menu items without being condescending in any way. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated1foodmanDined on 9/23/2014Hostess only moderately interested if finding appropriate seating, though reserved and early arrival. Waitstaff seemed bored. Food only ok, though have had much better in the past.Special Features:
- Let's be polite!lu2dineVIPDined on 9/22/2014It seems the majority of us ate more quickly than the one remaining diner, who eventually just gave up because everything was cleared from the table, except her meal. It would really be MUCH more polite (and which is done at the finer restaurants) not to clear until EVERYONE is finished. Otherwise, everything was delicious and our waitress was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Delicious food. Pasta was perfect. Delicate and flavorful. Service was a bit distracted. Wine list with plenty of options. We had a delicious oregon pinot reasonably priced. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nostrana - A Winning Combination!NEPDXFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014Nostrana lived up to its reputation as a restaurant with incredible food, a great atmosphere and incredible wait staff. We were dining with long-time friends who had just moved to Portland and wanted to experience a great local restaurant. It lived up to our expectations having dined there more than a dozen times and our friends now have it at the top of their list of local restaurants. Great job, keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and tastyNancyPVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is our go-to restaurant for family special occasions with our kids (12 and 15). The pizza is always great, cocktails terrific, yet there is also always something new and interesting on the menu. We ALWAYS get the Insalata Nostrana. Their treatment of in-season veggies is perfect as well. It can be noisy and service is sometimes a bit distracted but we love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchMJB44Dined on 9/16/2014I took a friend to lunch and had great food and service. We split the radicchio salad, seasonal pizza and chocolate dessert with no problem. We even split the second glass of wine for a just right meal. The imaginative menu is prepared with skill and care. Friendly wait staff too.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014We were given a table that was small for five people. When I pointed it to the host his answer was "we normally seat 6 on this table". This was particularly annoying, considering that the place was far from been crowded and there were empty tables around ours. I brought an expensive Champagne to celebrate my birthday. Despite the fact that our waitress did not open it properly and spilled a big amount on the floor, we had to pay the corkage fee anyway. Finally, we ordered and expensive 10 year old Italian wine. Waitress was a bit surprised when I asked for a decanter, but that's OK. She poured the wine into the decanter and served it right away! I would have expected better knowledge in a city with a strong wine culture.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ItaliannapoleonDined on 9/14/2014Food was great - short but well thought-out menu, wine list is good. Moderately priced, but totally worth it. We sat outside, but the inside is very cosy as well. Great all around!Special Features:
- I'd go back for the bread alonelettuceatDined on 9/14/2014Wow, Nostrana's bread--and pizza crust--are super delicious. Sour and chewy sourdough crust, soft and spongey inside, dipped in olive oil. Yum! The salad, while it appeared simple enough, consisted of fresh and flavorful crunchy veggies--what a delight. A delicious chianti. The albacore tuna with aioli was served with yummy buttery corn, scrumptious Lil's peppers. While the fish was good, the veggies were the stars. I ordered a side of crispy polenta with salsa verde, and it lacked something. Keep working on that one, guys; it's almost there. The espresso gelato was so good, it didn't need the chocolate sauce, but we ate it anyway. My partner had pizza and loved it. The atmosphere was comfortable and competent.Special Features:
- ReservationRmsrvceDined on 9/12/2014I made a reservation for 2 for a birthday celebration. The restaurant had very few people when I arrived and was given a table that was ok but not a desirable location. I then observed many others be kin seated in much more desirable locations without a reservation. That was disappointing. The food, as always, was perfect and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Dave & LeenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Of course, Rob Roy is a friend of ours too, but Michael, our waiter, went out of his way to give us a an exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margarita Pizza in PortlandTheExperienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014Love Nostrana! Big open, high ceilings, wood burning pizza oven that also prepares fresh fruit crisps for dessert! Always changing seasonal menu! The margarita pizza is the best we've had since we left Italy! They have a 2 kilo steak like they serve in Florence! Pasta seasonal and changing..What's not to like? Have a reservation as it is always busy! Parking is in a lot or street, but sometimes can be tricky! Great wine list from all over Italy!Special Features:
- Love NostranaNWinDined on 9/5/2014As people who do not dine out very often, heading to Nostrana is a real treat. Our experience this week was good, but not great. The food was delicious, service was fine, but we didn't get sat for our 8:00 pm reservation until 8:30 and people who ordered after us received their entree well before we did. Our entree arrived at about 9:30 - well after what we anticipated would be a reasonable time frame with an 8:00 pm reservation. The restaurant was packed, they clearly are not lacking for business. We'll be back again, but we'll aim for an earlier reservation next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NostranaMVdiningoutDined on 9/5/2014Catching up with a friend @ Nostrana was an excellent idea! Our waiter helped me pair an excellent wine with my pasta dish. All of our food was delicious, came at a good pace, was nicely seasoned, and was easy to share. One of my favorite spots, always a good choice for dining out!Special Features:
- Great food.AussieDined on 9/2/2014We had a very nice dining experiance on the front patio. Service was excellent and the food was outstanding. What a variety of tastes. Great selection of Lambrusco's also. Well recomended for the adventerous foodie.Special Features:
- Good Italian foodmtf419VIPDined on 9/2/2014I dined at Nostrana on the recommendation of Eater PDX, which usually doesn't steer me wrong, even if it occasionally contributes to undeserved hype. I didn't love the strip-mall location or the cavernous, brew pub feel, but that's not really what good food is about anyway. Nostrana has really inventive, not at all boring, Italian food. It's the kind of place you'd bring out of town guests who aren't into the "weirdness" of Portland. The pasta dishes were very flavorful, and if you like spicy thin crust pizza, it's definitely worth ordering. The prices seem just a tad on the high side for Portland, especially given all of the reasonable and stellar eating options, but it's hard to complain (I'm certainly not) when the food is this good.
- BADOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I had res for 5:00 and they would not let us in until 5:15. The food was expensive and I thought it wood be great for that price but it was very very disappointing!! Will not go back.
- Just the PlaceThumbsDined on 8/31/2014Nostrana is the place for all of our varied family celebrations. It also serves as the mom-dad-get-away-from-the-kids-and-sit-at-the-bar-place. Great space. Great cocktails. Great salads and steak.Special Features:
- a memorable mealcb3pdxDined on 8/30/2014We had a great time, the food and service were outstanding...next time, I'd love to try the pizza and a cocktail. The three of us split the 2.2# Bistecca, perfectly prepared, and had a lot of it left to take home. The heirloom tomato salad, Nostrana salad and pappardelle were excellent too...sorry we had no room for dessert! Great wine selection as well, wish I had seen the wine flights, would have loved to have tried that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Outstanding place to bring out-of-town guests. They were very impressed.Special Features:
- Wonderful night out.happymomDined on 8/25/2014Took my daughter out for her 17th birthday and was very pleased with everything. Dinner was amazing loved the atmosphere. Totally impressed with Everything!!!! Food, service, everything. Even impressed my daughter and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama Mia's is betterluv4mamamiaDined on 8/22/2014We were curious why this restaurant was rated higher then mama mia's so we decided to try it out and we will definitely be going back to mama mia's. The food was okay at nostrana, but nothing special.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Noisy, curt service, definite sense of being hurried for next seating, food was good but nothing special.
- Average lunchkrasVIPDined on 8/21/2014Met friends at Nostrana for lunch last week. Though this has become our favorite Portland restaurant in the past year (we've almost always gone for dinner), luncheon that day was just so-so. Nevertheless, we'll surely go back.Special Features:
- Nostrana11goose19VIPDined on 8/20/2014One of my many visits to Nostrana and it has remained one of my go to restaurants for very good italian food, pizza etc. This time was no exception.Special Features:
- FABbdaygirlDined on 8/19/2014I had a very intimate dinner with my Boyfriend on my birthday. The staff was gracious and the crisp was worth the wait!! I admit to being a food snob and have no complaints. The salad was fresh and crisp, the tuna was cooked to perfection and the desert was heavenly. I will return, that is a promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessert, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I suggest you only go for the Butterscotch Budino dessert. The service is very inattentive and slow. Noise level is high. Food choices are slim.
- Always deliciousSoutherntransplantDined on 8/14/2014Menus set daily to take advantage of what's fresh and fabulous. The pastas are wonderful and gnocchi are light as air. Salads are big enough to share, and that's not a bad idea if you're worried about having room for dinner. Flavors are fantastic, wonderful fresh ingredients, and plating is always attractive. This is fine dining in a nice-casual atmosphere. Give it a try - and if you like salted caramel you HAVE TO save room for the butterscotch bundino for dessert! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 8/14/2014The service is second to none -- timely, engaging without being intrusive, and knowledgeable. A very nice neighborhood restauarant with neighborhood prices and downtown food. Excellent all around! We visit Portland once a year usually and were pleased to find Nostrana. Thank you!Special Features:
- SWfromSFVIPDined on 8/10/2014As a somewhat spoiled (food-wise) San Franciscan, I have to say I was absolutely blown away and delighted by Nostrana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in PDXMomfoodieDined on 8/9/2014The food, the ambience and the wine list are all superior to any other restaurant in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great! Service very slow & oddJennyDined on 8/7/2014Food was great, service was bad. I hope they just had an off night. I left a long review on their Facebook page. I would recommend this place for the food and hope you don't have the same experience that I had w/ the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.