1401 SE Morrison
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nostrana.com/
- Phone: 5032342427x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cathy Whims
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nostrana
Nostrana - Literally "ours' - invokes local. Simple food from honest ingredients. Pure. Regional. Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Nostrana - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Nostrana reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)neighborhood gem (112)special occasion (108)notable wine list (79)great for outdoor dining (66)good for groups (59)romantic (54)great for lunch (40)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (11)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Everything and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We had heard wonderful things about Nostrana, and our experience more than lived up to any expectations. Budino, budino, budino!!!Special Features:
- Indifferent servicedindinaginDined on 10/17/2014We've dined at Nostrana many times. Often good but more spotty as of late. I had to keep requesting our server as he paid much more attention to another table with large liquor orders. My special sturgeon at $30 was at best 2.5-3.0 oz. I think over the years Nostrana has gotten caught up in it's reputation, which if they don't wake up, will plummet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodGeriDined on 10/16/2014Lovely setting and well-seasoned food. A great place for lunch or dinner with a friend you really want to talk with.Special Features:
- Exceptional DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014This will have been my third visit to Nostrana, food was excellent. The best beef I'v ever had, a very imaginative charcuterie, exceptional pizzas and the bread was superb. Good wine list, very much enjoyed the Chianti. The butterscotch pudding is the best I've ever experienced. Overall, an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:
- zimzimDined on 10/15/2014Everything about the restaurant was excellent. The food was beautifully presented and delicious, and the wine lisy was both reasonable and well chosen. The service was especially attentive and helpful. The setting is very appealing as well. Overall, a totally satisfying experience, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining SpotJeanneDined on 10/15/2014I have enjoyed Nostrana many times. It is a neighborhood gem, is always busy and has fabulous Italian food. This time when I met a friend there for lunch, the place was buzzing and it was a Wednesday noontime. I highly recommend it if you enjoy Italian. I had their Margharita Pizza and added fresh arugula. It is always one of my favorites. My friend had a pasta dish that she thought was great too. We will definitely go back It is not an inexpensive place, but worth the dollars.Special Features:
- Nice SpotWinemaker97Dined on 10/14/2014Fine menu. Our choices were good, but not outstanding. Wine flights for tasting were good idea, but wines were mediocre (think the white Lambrusco was oxidized). Service was not engaging.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerCarrPDXDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary at Nostrana and enjoyed a fabulous meal. We started off with a negroni cocktail followed by a radicchio salad, and an oyster. We both ordered pasta entrees, one with meatballs and one pepardelle with goat cheese. Both were sublime. The wine from Sicily was recommended and did not disappoint. The evening was relaxing and overall, quite perfect.Special Features:
- Very considerate service!m3gaDined on 10/10/2014We called saying our party would arrive late for our lunch reservation. The staff called us to check on our progress and welcomed us when we arrived just before the kitchen closedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spotlovinmyrackettDined on 10/9/2014Friends from Santa Fe believe this is the best restaurant in the country. It never fails to please.Special Features:
- My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The best in a town with great restaurants. Delicious food, reasonable prices, always a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usualLovefishVIPDined on 10/7/2014As always, the food was top notch. Unfortunately, the lovely food came 2nd fiddle to our waitress who was in a big hurry for us to eat and be done. Prior to asking if we were finished eating, the plates were whisked away with food still in them (granted- a tiny bit if food, but come on). She then became visibly irritated with us when she lost one of our signed receipts. She came back to ask if we could just add the tip and re-sign. When we went poking around for the lost receipt, she continued to say over and over "I just really need you to add the tip and re-sign" in an exasperated tone. This comes as a departure to the usual great service received at Nostrana, and won't keep me from going back, but they are on pause for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatDav0Dined on 10/6/2014we went to check out Nostrana with some friends for a special occasion. First impression? This place is huge it almost felt like we were in the suburbs. After that... We found the staff very friendly and helpful, the real problem was that the food quality doesn't seem to live up to the prices... Except for one of us who ordered the lamb we were all left slightly unsatisfied. The noise was also a concern maybe we were sitting in a bad place but it was hard to hear anything being said across the table. Overall it was an ok meal I was just hoping for more
- Boring and disappointingok3815Dined on 10/4/2014After years of hearing about the award nominated chef and restaurant we finally had the chance to visit. The food was just OK. Nothing outstanding. The menu and presentation lacked inspiration and seemed boring and ordinary. The service was curt and cold. There was no ambience. The pizza was the only thing that was excellent. In a sea of competition, Nostrana is lagging behind.
- Great Pacific NW Restaurant!FredandPamDined on 10/1/2014We love everything about Nostrana, including easy and ample parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014This was our first time at Nostrana. The food was absolutely delicious and creative. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014Visiting from our of town, much hype behind this place, believe the hype!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBurgundyboyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Friends recommended this great place and they are very accommodating and the service was very fun and friendly. Great food and we look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- A sure betDrinkyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nostrana is one of our favorite restaurants in Portland and is on our regular rotation. It is one of the places we love to bring visitors from out of town. It is consistently a great experience. The excellent food, service, drink, and lively atmosphere keep us coming back.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysVLMShayDined on 9/27/2014I've been to Nostrana many times and the food is always wonderful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- nostranaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food was wonderful but service was lacking. We had to ask our waitress for services that she seemed to forget about several times. Just seemed the place was under staffed and she was overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Mostly EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014The greeting as we arrived was a little brisque, almost like we were an annoyance. We later asked for our table to be changed since it was by the open door and it got chilly. They stated they couldn't move us (even tho there were open tables) so instead closed the door. Following all that things were better. Waiter was friendly and the food was very good. Service a little slow between courses.Special Features:
- Delicious!CaraDined on 9/25/2014Brought my parents here when they were visiting from out of town. We all tried different things and it was all delicious! The service was pretty good too and the atmosphere was great. I would recommend this to anyone that likes Italian food.Special Features:
- Nostrana11goose19VIPDined on 9/24/2014Pizza diavalo and fungi verde were baked just right with thin crust with enough char . The nostra a radicchio ceased salad is a must have dish. Also pasta with lamb ham was very good. Service is attentive . Wine list has many reasonably priced wines to choose from.Special Features:
- A consistent wow in dining pleasureFineDinahDined on 9/24/2014We keep coming back to Nostrana because there are always new surprises along with assured excellence in atmosphere and service. They change their menu at least weekly and even though you may feel a touch of disappointment that something unforgettable that you ate there before isn't on the current menu, you will find something new to swoon over as you eat it. The wait staff are friendly and engaging - and happy to explain menu items without being condescending in any way. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated1foodmanDined on 9/23/2014Hostess only moderately interested if finding appropriate seating, though reserved and early arrival. Waitstaff seemed bored. Food only ok, though have had much better in the past.Special Features:
- Let's be polite!lu2dineVIPDined on 9/22/2014It seems the majority of us ate more quickly than the one remaining diner, who eventually just gave up because everything was cleared from the table, except her meal. It would really be MUCH more polite (and which is done at the finer restaurants) not to clear until EVERYONE is finished. Otherwise, everything was delicious and our waitress was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Delicious food. Pasta was perfect. Delicate and flavorful. Service was a bit distracted. Wine list with plenty of options. We had a delicious oregon pinot reasonably priced. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nostrana - A Winning Combination!NEPDXFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014Nostrana lived up to its reputation as a restaurant with incredible food, a great atmosphere and incredible wait staff. We were dining with long-time friends who had just moved to Portland and wanted to experience a great local restaurant. It lived up to our expectations having dined there more than a dozen times and our friends now have it at the top of their list of local restaurants. Great job, keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and tastyNancyPVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is our go-to restaurant for family special occasions with our kids (12 and 15). The pizza is always great, cocktails terrific, yet there is also always something new and interesting on the menu. We ALWAYS get the Insalata Nostrana. Their treatment of in-season veggies is perfect as well. It can be noisy and service is sometimes a bit distracted but we love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently goodEmilyDined on 9/16/2014Even if this visit was a little lackluster, this place is always a hit. And I'll keep going back.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchMJB44Dined on 9/16/2014I took a friend to lunch and had great food and service. We split the radicchio salad, seasonal pizza and chocolate dessert with no problem. We even split the second glass of wine for a just right meal. The imaginative menu is prepared with skill and care. Friendly wait staff too.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014We were given a table that was small for five people. When I pointed it to the host his answer was "we normally seat 6 on this table". This was particularly annoying, considering that the place was far from been crowded and there were empty tables around ours. I brought an expensive Champagne to celebrate my birthday. Despite the fact that our waitress did not open it properly and spilled a big amount on the floor, we had to pay the corkage fee anyway. Finally, we ordered and expensive 10 year old Italian wine. Waitress was a bit surprised when I asked for a decanter, but that's OK. She poured the wine into the decanter and served it right away! I would have expected better knowledge in a city with a strong wine culture.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ItaliannapoleonDined on 9/14/2014Food was great - short but well thought-out menu, wine list is good. Moderately priced, but totally worth it. We sat outside, but the inside is very cosy as well. Great all around!Special Features:
- I'd go back for the bread alonelettuceatDined on 9/14/2014Wow, Nostrana's bread--and pizza crust--are super delicious. Sour and chewy sourdough crust, soft and spongey inside, dipped in olive oil. Yum! The salad, while it appeared simple enough, consisted of fresh and flavorful crunchy veggies--what a delight. A delicious chianti. The albacore tuna with aioli was served with yummy buttery corn, scrumptious Lil's peppers. While the fish was good, the veggies were the stars. I ordered a side of crispy polenta with salsa verde, and it lacked something. Keep working on that one, guys; it's almost there. The espresso gelato was so good, it didn't need the chocolate sauce, but we ate it anyway. My partner had pizza and loved it. The atmosphere was comfortable and competent.Special Features:
- ReservationRmsrvceDined on 9/12/2014I made a reservation for 2 for a birthday celebration. The restaurant had very few people when I arrived and was given a table that was ok but not a desirable location. I then observed many others be kin seated in much more desirable locations without a reservation. That was disappointing. The food, as always, was perfect and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Dave & LeenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Of course, Rob Roy is a friend of ours too, but Michael, our waiter, went out of his way to give us a an exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Margarita Pizza in PortlandTheExperienceVIPDined on 9/6/2014Love Nostrana! Big open, high ceilings, wood burning pizza oven that also prepares fresh fruit crisps for dessert! Always changing seasonal menu! The margarita pizza is the best we've had since we left Italy! They have a 2 kilo steak like they serve in Florence! Pasta seasonal and changing..What's not to like? Have a reservation as it is always busy! Parking is in a lot or street, but sometimes can be tricky! Great wine list from all over Italy!Special Features:
- Love NostranaNWinDined on 9/5/2014As people who do not dine out very often, heading to Nostrana is a real treat. Our experience this week was good, but not great. The food was delicious, service was fine, but we didn't get sat for our 8:00 pm reservation until 8:30 and people who ordered after us received their entree well before we did. Our entree arrived at about 9:30 - well after what we anticipated would be a reasonable time frame with an 8:00 pm reservation. The restaurant was packed, they clearly are not lacking for business. We'll be back again, but we'll aim for an earlier reservation next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love NostranaMVdiningoutDined on 9/5/2014Catching up with a friend @ Nostrana was an excellent idea! Our waiter helped me pair an excellent wine with my pasta dish. All of our food was delicious, came at a good pace, was nicely seasoned, and was easy to share. One of my favorite spots, always a good choice for dining out!Special Features: