1401 SE Morrison
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nostrana.com/
- Phone: (503) 234-2427
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cathy Whims
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nostrana
Nostrana - Literally "ours' - invokes local. Simple food from honest ingredients. Pure. Regional. Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Nostrana - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Nostrana reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)neighborhood gem (109)special occasion (103)notable wine list (79)good for groups (67)romantic (59)great for outdoor dining (52)great for lunch (43)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- As always, Nostrana didn't fail to please.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2014My folks were in town this week and we wanted to go out to dinner one night while they were here. There are so many places to choose from in Portland, but I wanted a spot that takes a reservation (not usual in Portland), so we picked Nostrana. Every time I've been there for dinner, it is always outstanding. My Mom was moaning during her meal it was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great TimeJTFUDined on 11/23/2014Family from out of town joined us for a great dining experience at Nostrana. Thanks for great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special ExperiencePablo57VIPDined on 11/23/2014My partner and I have enjoyed Nostrana for quite some time. I can only remember a series of very good experiences; never disappointed with the imaginative menu, spirits, and terrific service. Each category improves every year without fail and Sunday evening was no exception. I think the menu was the best I've ever seen on any of our visits with the stuffed trout and steak entrees both knockouts! And I should mention the kale salad that was just terrific. What can I except that everyone owes it to themselves to try this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent...but...markemarkVIPDined on 11/23/2014Great meal. High quality. Delicious. Unfortunately the kitchen was slow, which made the meal service pacing awkward. Very busy for a Sunday night, so maybe short staffed in the cucina? Menu is great. Too many things we wanted to order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a half, or whole, birthday celebrationCristinaAlemanaDined on 11/20/2014My date and I shared a salad, two entrees, and two desserts. And although we didn't drink, there is an impressive bar selection available. The space was well lit and comfortable. There was an intimate feel to our table against the window, and the servers were incredibly attentive. We enjoyed not only the rich and complex taste of our meal, but also the presentation of the food and table settings. We both would like to return and are certain we would be pleased with any selection from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ListenerDined on 11/16/2014Everything was excellent except the noise level which was almost unbearable. We were a party of four and could not converse across the table. Cathy Whims had a large group of friends visiting which made it even louder, but even without them it is too loud to talk with any group larger than two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and welcomingLoveDined on 11/11/2014Really enjoyed the Salumi Pizza,smoked brined chicken and Nostrana salad. Great service. Desert was over the top yummy.Special Features:
- Amazing, as alwayseviltroutsVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Nostrana several times, and we have never been disappointed. It's one of Portland's finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 11/8/2014The food was delicious! What was more incredible was the service. I wish I could remember the name of our service. She is fabulous. She was attentive without being intrusive and very knowledgeable about the food and the wine list. She is a great asset to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We go to Nostrana several times per year and are always very pleased, never disappointed. The menu is seasonal and always changing. This place is perfect for casual dining or special occasions. Interesting "industrial chic/old school" interior with wood fired pizza oven visible and bar- to -ceiling spirits wall, but it's the never disappointing excellent menu that keeps us returning. Insalata Nostrana is a must to try, pizza especially the crust is the best, pastas are always interesting and good. Wait staff can make suggestions and answer questions.Special Features:
- NostranaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014It was our first time to visit Nostrana. Great food and excellent service made for a wonderful dining experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- Tsmoked chicken was disappointinggFurgieDined on 11/7/2014The smoked chicken entree at $23 was disappointing. Was dry and the sides were bland. Crab bruschetta and radicchio salad were hits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always4KRBDined on 11/7/2014Nostrana is fabulous and never fails to provide and exceptional dining experience!Special Features:
- ExcellentMiketheArtistDined on 11/5/2014Had a great time, food, wine and service was fantastic! I strongly recommendSpecial Features:
- My favorite Italian restaurantimlpdxDined on 11/4/2014Another fabulous meal at Nostrana to celebrate the birthday of a friend. The service was impeccable, the negronis were terrific and our meal was delectable. I can't wait to return! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plastic Chairslove2eatDined on 11/1/2014Nostrana was recommended to us. Our first impression was not good. The dining experience was full of the "half finished" ideas, starting with our seating. Being seated at a warm wooden table, next to a stack of firewood could have been really lovely, except for the plastic chairs. It felt like we were seated in the hallway, at the kids' table, on Thanksgiving. Our server greeted us fairly quickly with water, and then took ten minutes to take our drink order. My cold drink was served in a stemless glass, and quickly warmed as I held it. The menu, while not necessarily to my liking (lots of organ meats), was difficult to decipher (except for the pizza). A bowl of salt on the table would have been nice. Many details missed or half done.Special Features:
- SurprisedHonestDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014What a wonderful surprise! We decided to try this place on the strength of reviews. The restaurant is in a small shopping mall which means it is pretty easy to park. The service and staff were wonderful, friendly, and very prompt/attentive w/ their service. The food was excellent and far above my expectations. If you go, do not pass up the pasta selections - fresh and perfectly prepared. The salt was a little heavy handed, but forgivable. The flat iron steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare and love the dry aging provides wonderful flavor and tenderness. The pork belly was wonderfully butchered with a perfect blend of fat to meat - sometimes too fatty, but not at Nostrana. Definitely will be returning and dining again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegetablesjudy1Dined on 10/29/2014The vegetables served with the fish main course (two of them) were both abundant and delicious. This is not the usual in other restaurants and makes Nostrana more appealing as a result.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014My wife and I had dinner at your restaurant last night for our wedding anniversary. We were greeted warmly when we checked in. The food was tasty and the Bisteca was outstanding. However, we will likely not come back or recommend the restaurant to our friends due to the lackluster server. Thin with black and white striped shirt. We did not get any sense of joy or pride in his job. He treated us in a rather mechanical fashion and we did not feel welcome; rather a bother to him. Furthermore, he presented us the check while we were still eating desert and hadn't yet asked for it. Overall we really enjoyed the food but the interactions with the server diminished the overall dining experience quite severely
- Yummy!MagratDined on 10/27/2014I've been to Nostrana several times for lunch, and have never been disappointed. Food has always been delicious. The staff is friendly and attentive. The easy access and ample parking is a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014They always have something new, unique, and delicious on the menu. There is a variety of price points for an entree ($15-75). Sides average $10-20. Make a reservation, they are always packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza with clams delishairtrudyDined on 10/26/2014Although I was a little skittish, I'm glad I ordered the pizza with clams (not the one with octopus, however). The clams were cooked in shells on the pizza allowing the clam nectar to infuse it with delicious flavor. The pizza with mushrooms and arugula is also a favorite.Special Features:
- Mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014We returned to Nostrana because we had previously had a great experience. This time we had a wonderful appetizer and pizza but a couple of not-so-good experiences. The trout seemed to be overcooked and heated on a steam table. Worst was a salad brought to the table to be dressed by us (not my first choice anyway). We put on the contents of both containers we'd been given and I thought it tasted overly oily. We then discovered we'd been given 2 oils and no vinegar! We couldn't get anyone's attention for a long time and when we finally did the server seemed more amused than apologetic. Don't know that we'll go back.
- Consistently great.roloDined on 10/24/2014Been here countless times now and it never fails. Consistently very good. Great for a couples date but also larger groups. I like to try most things but always come back to the pizza. It's the best i've had outside of Italy. Really authentic Italian style; fresh toppings (house made moz) and soft chewy crust with a slight char. The real test of a restaurants pizza is their margarita and Nostrana's is sublime.Special Features:
- Very good but not well coordinatedMelanieDined on 10/23/2014We had our surprisingly small Caulifower-fennel gratin side dish arrive well after we started our main entree. They ended up not charging us for that but it was too bad it happened during an important meal for an out-of-town guest. This lack of timing/ coordination, and with courses not arriving in a reasonably timely manner has happened at least 2 previous times at Nostrana. Also, the prices and the portions keep going in opposite directions. We go less and less frequently. My waiter recommended a $19 glass of wine, the highest I ever recall encountering in Portland (I don't have deep pockets). The side dish seemed to be the smallest possible portion, a small (1/2 cup?) portion for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Out4dindinDined on 10/23/2014Nostrana is a wonderful place where comfort food moves to a whole new level. Loved the gnocchi which just melted in your mouth and, loved the great service. Very helpful choosing a wine by the glass which paired perfectly with our food. We will be coming back!Special Features:
- NostranaRockyDined on 10/21/2014Fabulous all the way around. Pizza and Octopus Salad = Yum Best ManhattanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure if we'd go back...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Host was rude and his attitude was not appreciated. Last time I check this is Portland, not L.A., so please drop the attitude. The restaurants policy to seat a party of six at a four person table is wrong. In the event you could not get the manger to rectify the seating (as he did for us, thank God) you would be very very crowded not only with the seating but also no room for all the plates, serving dishes, bottles of wine and glasses. The food was outstanding and our waitress was wonderful but given this was a Birthday celebration as indicated in my online reservation, and if we had been stuck at that four person table for two hours it would have ruined the evening.
- Everything and morepdxgrrl4fdDined on 10/20/2014We had heard wonderful things about Nostrana, and our experience more than lived up to any expectations. Budino, budino, budino!!!Special Features:
- Indifferent servicedindinaginDined on 10/17/2014We've dined at Nostrana many times. Often good but more spotty as of late. I had to keep requesting our server as he paid much more attention to another table with large liquor orders. My special sturgeon at $30 was at best 2.5-3.0 oz. I think over the years Nostrana has gotten caught up in it's reputation, which if they don't wake up, will plummet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodGeriDined on 10/16/2014Lovely setting and well-seasoned food. A great place for lunch or dinner with a friend you really want to talk with.Special Features:
- Exceptional DiningThedinerDined on 10/15/2014This will have been my third visit to Nostrana, food was excellent. The best beef I'v ever had, a very imaginative charcuterie, exceptional pizzas and the bread was superb. Good wine list, very much enjoyed the Chianti. The butterscotch pudding is the best I've ever experienced. Overall, an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:
- zimzimDined on 10/15/2014Everything about the restaurant was excellent. The food was beautifully presented and delicious, and the wine lisy was both reasonable and well chosen. The service was especially attentive and helpful. The setting is very appealing as well. Overall, a totally satisfying experience, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining SpotJeanneDined on 10/15/2014I have enjoyed Nostrana many times. It is a neighborhood gem, is always busy and has fabulous Italian food. This time when I met a friend there for lunch, the place was buzzing and it was a Wednesday noontime. I highly recommend it if you enjoy Italian. I had their Margharita Pizza and added fresh arugula. It is always one of my favorites. My friend had a pasta dish that she thought was great too. We will definitely go back It is not an inexpensive place, but worth the dollars.Special Features:
- Nice SpotWinemaker97Dined on 10/14/2014Fine menu. Our choices were good, but not outstanding. Wine flights for tasting were good idea, but wines were mediocre (think the white Lambrusco was oxidized). Service was not engaging.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerCarrPDXDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary at Nostrana and enjoyed a fabulous meal. We started off with a negroni cocktail followed by a radicchio salad, and an oyster. We both ordered pasta entrees, one with meatballs and one pepardelle with goat cheese. Both were sublime. The wine from Sicily was recommended and did not disappoint. The evening was relaxing and overall, quite perfect.Special Features:
- Very considerate service!m3gaDined on 10/10/2014We called saying our party would arrive late for our lunch reservation. The staff called us to check on our progress and welcomed us when we arrived just before the kitchen closedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spotlovinmyrackettDined on 10/9/2014Friends from Santa Fe believe this is the best restaurant in the country. It never fails to please.Special Features:
- My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The best in a town with great restaurants. Delicious food, reasonable prices, always a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usualLovefishVIPDined on 10/7/2014As always, the food was top notch. Unfortunately, the lovely food came 2nd fiddle to our waitress who was in a big hurry for us to eat and be done. Prior to asking if we were finished eating, the plates were whisked away with food still in them (granted- a tiny bit if food, but come on). She then became visibly irritated with us when she lost one of our signed receipts. She came back to ask if we could just add the tip and re-sign. When we went poking around for the lost receipt, she continued to say over and over "I just really need you to add the tip and re-sign" in an exasperated tone. This comes as a departure to the usual great service received at Nostrana, and won't keep me from going back, but they are on pause for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.