Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant
5500 Crooks Rd
Troy, MI 48098Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northernlakesseafoodrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2486467900x1
- Hours of Operation:
Soft Opening: Dec 7 & 8 5pm - 11pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Frank Turner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options available
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant x
A word from Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant
Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant is located in Troy, Michigan, in the former "Charley's Crab" location, adjacent to The MET Hotel. Regular guests are well traveled, sophisticated diners who live within a few miles of the restaurant, or hotel guests. Guests enjoy fine dining in a casual, energetic dining room modeled after a coastal open air seafood house. Décor is casual & eclectic with comfortable, cozy seating in the dining room for 175 with an energetic Tavern & Raw Bar seating another 75 guests. The seafood is flown in from around the globe & the menu changes daily in accordance with availability. The wine program is designed to give everyone something they can feel comfortable with, both in terms of price & exciting selections, with a sprinkling of comfort labels. With a predominantly seafood menu, the emphasis is on interesting whites & food friendly reds such as pinot noir, with enough full bodied reds to keep the land lovers happy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Troy ›
Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (35)romantic (27)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (13)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- NannyDined on 9/14/2014Lovely dining though a bit too dark for our likingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northern Lakes Seafood Troy MIDetroitDinerDined on 9/6/2014I took my wife out for a very special dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Our food was not prepared adequately. My wife ordered Banana Leaf Salmon. Presentation was nice but, the Salmon was completely raw. I ordered Lobster, Scallops over Risotto. It was raw as well. The service was good. They made an effort to make it right but, the damage was done. Maybe, they had an off night. This is the old Charlie's Crab. If they want to be in the same league they have a long way to go. I would not recommend Northern Lakes Seafood to anybody at this time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Service was good- but not exceptional. Never told of any specials. Caesar salad was drenched in dressing.
- I miss the old menu and styleDlh48085Dined on 8/29/2014This was our 1st visit in the new location. We enjoyed the white fish spread, a similar but chunkier version of the Charlie's Crab whitefish pate and the calamari. No specials on the menu that night. We used to be able to order from a fresh-catch list and request its preparation, that is either not available or not promoted. We messaged in advance to request a table in a quiet space w/ our very elderly and hard of hearing parent. Despite that request, we did not learn of the steel drum player until he started setting up. He and his soundtrack drowned conversation. No changes have been made to the restaurant space from the previous owner. Everything in that category is perfect, except for lighting; it's still too dark to enjoy it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in an interesting settingrzspswVIPDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I recently dined at the Northern Lakes Seafood restaurant at their new location in Troy. We liked the new location far better. The place is an interesting mix of old seaman's charm and stained glass. The food was great. I loved my swordfish and my husband’s salmon prepared on a banana leaf was excellent. The portions were good sized - enough to take some home for lunch the next day. Our only disappointment was the dessert. We got the brownie sundae which was served in a tall sundae glass. It had 4 bite sized pieces of brownie atop a bed of vanilla ice cream with just a hint of hot fudge over the top. The brownies were dry, and the sundae needed more hot fudge! Rachel, our server was knowledgeable as well as personable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMW57Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great experience here back in May and returned with friends for Troy restaurant week; unfortunately not as good this time - while the food was very good, have to agree with many of the other reviewers as to the service not being up to par - very slow and inattentive to details (brought wrong wine, pushed desserts that were no longer available, very long waits for return). We liked our waiter; it seemed more related to training and workload. Overall not the experience I would expect for the price. We love the setting and history and want to see it succeed - little things like sprucing up the entryway, a more welcoming greeting, and a more visible sign from Crooks to offset the light-traffic location would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some kinksjomommaDined on 8/20/2014We were greeted instantly and directed to a table that fit our wants. Food was DELICIOUS, hot and ABUNDANT But why would we have to wait more than 20 minutes for an ice cream cookie dessert? It was a main feature, we tired of waiting and really wanted to leave without, but hubby's a ccokie and ice cream fanatic. Truly an unacceptable wait. - the wait truely spoiled what was a very nice evening. They had live entertainment that evening and that too was most pleasant and ear friendly. Decor is very dark and dated - everything shouts old school. Appreciated food and most of service, but updating is highly needed, even in the parking lot, and to bring the old fish from previous location, cute, but really didn't survive the trip well.Special Features:
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We celebrated my parents 62nd wedding anniversary at Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant. The food was delicious, the service excellent and the ambiance was lovely. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceToolongwaitVIPDined on 8/16/2014We dined on a very quiet Saturday evening (the Dream Cruise was going on). Our server, Casey, was attentive and helpful. Our entrees, pan-seared perch and salmon wellington, were both outstanding. Yes, Northern Lakes is pricey, but look around - there's usually some sort of deal to ease the pain. Our only complaint is that the menu does not have plain fish, as the old one did.
- Great food, not so great service.DavidDined on 8/15/2014Everything we ate was well prepared. No issues with kitchen. Service was decidedly slow for a place that was just not that busy. My drink did not arrive until after the appetizers. Server did not have good communication with kitchen. Server strongly recommended their special french fries but we were told when meals arrived that they did not have them...so we got regular fries. No chance to change to something else. Food not presented as requested, kitchen likely never told our wishes. Service staff socializing with a table of two girls loudly. As I said, the food was very good but they need to clean up their dining room service. Place has great atmosphere but a lack of professionalism on the part of everyone who came to the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkaytjjeVIPDined on 8/13/2014The service was very good, but the food just average. One meal was served with missing items. The portions are rather small. Not sure we will return.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodFishermansFinestDined on 8/8/2014Very good seafood. Nice variety well prepared. Great ambiance Bartender was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJAR0113Dined on 8/7/2014We were regulars at the former site of Northern Lakes. It appears that the idea of simply prepared, fresh (not frozen) fish was lost in the move. The site is historic and lovely. Will not be returning.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerMotownerDined on 8/5/2014My wife & I celebrated our anniversary with a dinner at Northern Lakes Seafood. We had been there several times in the past, at their old location on Woodward and the new spot in Troy. The flowers I ordered were waiting at our table, and everyone on the wait staff was attentive, quick and friendly. My cashew-encrusted walleye was delish, and my wife thoroughly enjoyed the lobster & scallop dish. Although I am not a wine expert, I can tell you they had a serious wine list - every kind imaginable. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Just OKLynnVIPDined on 7/26/2014Was excited to try Northern Lakes in this new location. The atmosphere on a Saturday night was so-so. Nice piano player playing in the background but restaurant was half empty which was surprising. Service was OK. Portions extremely tiny. My 6oz. lobster was about 2 bites as well my husband's Lobster Risotto which had one scallop and tiny piece of lobster. Side vegetable mistakenly came after the meal and would have expected it to be removed from the bill but wasn't. Not worth the price.
- MichaelDined on 7/25/2014The chef is trying too hard to be creative. Perch do not need a creamy sauce and cashew crusted walleye is a good idea, but not when the result is dry. What is really missing is lobster, king crab and scallops. They said the lobster didn't come in, which is fine, but they need the others too. And the Caesar salad was odd. It was the heart of the romaine - 2 quarters and some dressing that didn't seem right. All of this is pretty basic. They just need to let the fish and lettuce be themselves. They don't need help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014kind of quiet, not yet established in the area, needs a little updatingSpecial Features:
- Charley's Crab it isn't!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014First the wine list did not have any recognizable wines. It is nice that the sommelier wants us to try new things....but that should be our choice. The 2 bottles we got were ok, but I would have preferred something I already know I like. Second, crab cakes too small and bready, smoked white fish dip not great...need less cream more fish. My chilean sea bass tasted like cod and the red skin potatoes were swimming in a pool of butter...yuk! The walleye which is a very mild fish was overpowered by the tasty breading, and way too much breading on the small perch. Suggestion: People that enjoy seafood do not like it masked with heavy breading or overpowering flavors
- Northern Lakes Seafood ExperienceAlfredDined on 7/14/2014Personally, I would not recommend this restaurant. Location, location is a problem. Menu over-priced for what is served. Appeared to be a great place for the business consumer...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Enjoyed the lobster risotto and a nice glass of Chardonnay.Special Features:
- Not so greatluv2eatDined on 7/1/2014We have been here for dinner a couple times. The first time we went, the food was very good, so worth the expense. This time was a very different experience. The food was sub par. The seafood was not fresh so had a fishy taste and was not well seasoned. With all the great seafood places to choose from in our area, I would not go back to Northern Lakes again. It's really too expensive to give them another shot with all the other choices in the area.Special Features:
- New location, new Servers?GregDined on 6/28/2014First time for us in the new location. Had a very pleasant hostess and excellent food. Waitress was nice but inexperienced (wouldn't say incompetent, but close), especially for this type of restaurant. Always had top notch service in the previous location. New location carries over some of the heavy dark wood and older décor of Charley's Crab. We missed the lighter, more modern atmosphere of the Woodward Ave location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RenewedCulinaryFrogDined on 6/24/2014I always like Northern Lakes but the new menu and chef is outstanding. I will be back to make sure I try everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Almost theremotownDined on 6/20/2014Service, atmosphere and décor were great. The smoked whitefish pate was a superb appetizer. Next time I may use this as a main dish. My wife's gazpacho was excellent. My seafood chowder was good but a little bland. Our friend had a salad that he enjoyed and looked fresh and crisp. The presentation of all the dishes was excellent. My wife and our friend had the risotto with a lobster tail. Again, superb. As to my halibut: delicious accompaniments, beautiful presentation, and the fish was fresh but cooked too dry for my taste. We were so full we skipped dessert. A good house sauvignon blanc was my wife's wine. I hope they stay in business as the crowd was sparse at 6:00 on a Friday night. It is out of the way for us but we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three hours I'll never get backTheGourmandVIPDined on 6/15/2014THe first chair I sat on was broken. THe bus boy was languidly slow, and did not answer a direct question. We still don't know what took so long. We asked questions about the menu and she disappeared for thirty minutes. Getting bread was like extracting impacted molars without novacaine. The girl seemed attentive, but then once tasked disappeared and rarely returned. THe restaurant was all but empty on Father's Day at 6:30 pm. it is utterly inexplicable. if they wanted to go home early, they should not have taken the reservation. The food portions are for dieters and spendthrifts. I cannot comprehend where the value was in a meal that cost over $200 with tip for four people. I personally will not go back. Oh well live and learnSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Great ServicePeteVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is our third trip in 4 months. We had friends join us and all had a great meal. Our server, Sean, gave us just the right amount of attention. The bus staff kept the tables clear and the water full, without being intrusive. Overall, another outstanding experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014The food was excellent and the chef was personally very attentive and friendly. The atmosphere was nautical and antique in decor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant for any occasion!JohnDined on 6/5/2014This is the second time my wife and I have visted this wonderful restaurant. Our meals were great and the service was top notch. This time we came for both our birthdays which are only a few days apart. We had four of our friends join us and every meal was great. The chef came out and checked on us, spent a few minutes and chatted with us. Very impressive person. You can't miss with Northern Lakes.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantBootseyDined on 6/1/2014Swordfish was the best we've ever had. Cooked to perfection. Our servers were outstanding. Everything made for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceEatingOutVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a great night out at Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant. The staff was friendly, helpful and provided great service. A chef visited tables, offered to help with the menu and answered questions. The food was outstanding and unique; not the usual fair. This is a wonderful restaurant. Try it and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special orders welcomedOakliftDined on 5/31/2014Although the mostly fish and seafood menu is tweaked both seasonally and daily, requests for special preparations are both welcomed and solicited. Chef Mike stopped by to consult on the menu, and 2 of the 4 of us ordered items prepared quite differently than those offered. We loved our meals, from the lobster risotto and the cioppino (both on the menu) to an Asian-style grilled tuna and a rock shrimp concoction that bore scant resemblance to that day's menu options. Portions are smallish and pricey, which was ok with us; you get what you pay for, and top quality doesn't come cheap. The decor is gorgeous, reclaimed from an area mansion. The attentiveness of the server and chef really made our dinner experience stand out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoke to the chefJaxxonDined on 5/31/2014The chef came to our table and spoke with us as well as made recommendations regarding the menu. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 425 reviews are from the Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant reviews archive.
- Seems to be on way outSue124Dined on 5/24/2014We were very dissapointed in our visit to Northern Lakes Seafood, very over priced for the food. To be honest my fish was very good, but I could have gotten just as good down the street at Krues and Muer. My Ceasar Salad was just pitiful: two hunks of romain, with a very thin melba toast likt thing ( no croutons) maybe two shaves of parmesean, and a piece of bacon on top, with just a drizzle of dressing, and a wedge of egg on the side. This was a very unsuccessful attempt to be artisitc with a classic. It did not work, and certainly not worth the extra cost. The atmosphere is still as it was when it was Charley's Crab, so still very pleasant, outside needs attention.
- Our favorite venuediscriminatingDined on 5/23/2014So happy that Northern Lakes is now occupying the former Charlie's Crab facility as it is so beautiful and it brings back many fond memories. Thankfully, the food is up to par with the previous occupant. Love the gluten-free bread as well. We do realize that specialty fish is pricey and expect the price to be passed on; however, the portion size of the Salmon was rather small for the $$$$ and a starch would have been nice as well.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMarksreviewsDined on 5/21/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DisappointedMichiganVisitorDined on 5/17/2014We loved the setting. The food was bland and uninspiring. I wanted a steak fish and there was not a tuna, swordfish or mahi on the menu. I settled for a $38 halibut which was bland and also a very small portion. This was not a good value for the money.
- Very disappointedKrisDined on 5/17/2014The first thing we noticed was the strong smell of fish when you got in. The ambience was rather cold, with harsh lights and uncomfortably hard chairs. I ordered my Salmon grilled with scalloped potatoes. My waiter was busy so another server brought my food. At first I noticed they had given me rice pilaf instead of Potatoes, mentioned it, but I let it go. Then I noticed they had pan-seared my fish instead of grilling it. When I told the server who brought it, he agreed that it was pan-seared, and went back to the kitchen to check the ticket. When he returned, he changed his mind, insisting it was grilled. I think I know the difference. Neither him, my waiter, nor the manager who was standing right at the table seemed to really care.
- Quite nice!KarenBDined on 5/17/2014The old Charlie's Crab interiors remain but the menu and quality of food is all Northern Lakes Seafood. We had great service for our group of 8 diners on a Saturday night. Food and wine very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionsBKfoodieDined on 5/10/2014It was a great experience although there were tables that seemed loud and disturbing around us. The food was well done and the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VazdomDined on 5/3/2014We went on a Saturday for an early dinner and enjoyed both our meal and the wonderful service we received. If your looking for a special evening this would be a great place. We enjoyed it and will be back! We enjoy fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.