North Star Restaurant
85 Westchester Ave (Rt 124)
Pound Ridge, NY 10576Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
North Star Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northstarny.com/
- Phone: (914) 764-0200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Franz Fruhmann
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Give us a call. We can do pretty much anything up to 250 persons or so.
- Entertainment: North Star has access to incredible talent from the New York/Westchester/CT area and beyond. Every week there is something memorable happening musically there. Thursday rocks the house, with great bands starting at 9pm. If you like to dance to rock 'n' roll, this is the place to be. Sunday features the incredible voice of Dennis Collins, someone who is asked regularly to sing with the biggest stars in music. He is truly magical, and sings every Sunday night at 6:30pm.
A word from North Star Restaurant
Rated 4 Stars by the NY Times - April 2012. North Star Restaurant offers casual dining with creative Contemporary American cuisine in an environment designed to feel like your living room. Comfortable with a vibe. Owner operated, North Star has a uniquely warm and friendly staff. An extremely experienced and classically trained European Chef combines the freshest local organic ingredients sourced from the finest organic farms in the NY area. His Chilean Sea Bass, Sautéed Halibut and Butter-Poached Lobster are highly regarded, as are his rich tasting cream-free soups and House-Made Ravioli. North Star is also well known for its lively bar where everyone makes a friend on their first visit, and for hosting the most talented live music in the area after dinner on Thursday nights. Peaceful and quiet outside seating during the Summer. Kid friendly on the early side. Half price bottles of wine under $75 on Tuesday nights. North Star is a unique gem and cultivates customers for lifeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
North Star Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pound Ridge ›
North Star Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (6)notable wine list (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Friday night findOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/14/2014I generally visit North Star on a Thursday night for their live music, but this week went for dinner on Friday. It was quieter and relaxing, and all four of us enjoyed our meals immensely. I rarely find bay scallops on a menu when dining out, and they were prepared with cauliflower & a curry sauce - delicious! Our server was very attentive and friendly as well. Thanks North Star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/4/2014Sometimes this place is good and other times it is not. This time the fries with the steak were soggy, and the potato leek soup too thin with too much lemon
- Warm, pleasant, great foodFoodhoundDined on 11/2/2014Great for regular dining and also for special occasions with special friends. The food is imaginative but not crazy and always fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/31/2014terrific spot had not beenthere before and service, foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureShopgirlVIPDined on 10/24/2014Always consistent with a fabulous meal at North Star! It is one of our go to restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANTFLOATVIPDined on 10/16/2014The food and the service was excellent. This is a happening place. Has liver music on Thurs. & Friday. We celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary here last night and the owner and staff couldn't be nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Star restaurantFoodhoundDined on 10/13/2014The food was fantastic, the service great and the ambience wonderful.Special Features:
- A Star in the North (woods)ToughluvVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our grandson from New Canaan, when faced with the choice of where he wanted to have his birthday dinner, chose to come to Pound Ridge and eat at North Star...it was a pleasure...the veal was thick and tasty...as were the accompanying brussel sprouts and butternut squash...maybe a little too much emphasis on drink orders...was it to mask the slow arrival of both courses or to increase profits!? Maybe a "neighborhood gem" is a little too much but def the best of "breed" in PR..and, that includes the Inn at PR which still seems to be "challenged"!? Hope NS will work on a new way to keep the wind ouit of the dining room when the front door opens/closes.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Since I've moved to Stamford, CT it has been very hard to find really good restaurants around. The North Star Restaurant was recommended to me by a friend and I'm so happy it was. The food is consistently good. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful. It's a place my husband and I like to go to when we just want to relax and have fresh, really good food. I also love reading the sayings on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good..not greatsouthsalemDined on 10/5/2014Heard good things about it, so was very much looking forward to the dinner and we went with a group of 6. Apps were better, most of our dinners were just OK, but 1 friend could not eat her's it was so tastless and blah - and waiter didn't even bat an eye when cleaning her plate off barely touched. Other wonderful options availiable so doubt will return.
- Great food in casual environmentMBODVIPDined on 10/3/2014North Star combines excellent food with service that is equally outstanding but in a quaint, casual setting. Staff is always friendly and attentive. Haven't had a bad dish there yet but we had Halibut last week which was especially notable (would also recommend their Cod). And, very pleased to see the Elk Cove Pinot Noir back in stock. Simply a comfortable setting, consistently strong service and great food. They make you feel at home and then follow it up with a superb meal.Special Features:
- A bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have eaten at North Star several months ago and had a delicious meal, but our experience this week was at the other end of the spectrum. The soy glazed Sea Bass that I ordered was not only unappealingly presented (fish, a small mound of rice and a huge pile of unseasoned snow peas) but the fish was undercooked and inedible so I sent it back. To fill the calorie void in my stomach we decided to share the banana crepe which when it arrived was equally unappetizing. We spent over $100 on a meal for two and came away very disappointed so we will not be returning when there are so many consistently excellent restaurants in the area. With the above said the waitress we had was very friendly and extremely apologetic about the food,
- The little place in townmtraubDined on 8/31/2014If you live in or near Pound Ridge, NY, you've eaten at North Star. A small restaurant that is always booked solid, with good food cooked nicely, good service and a nice bar. If you go in expecting a nice meal in cozy quarters you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, but no ambience!GooseVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first experience at North Star. We loved the cocktails, wine, food and service but, gosh, it was so dark and drab inside we can't bring ourselves to return until the management updates the interior. What a shame!
- FantasticnelknollDined on 8/22/2014We have been to Northstar several times and it is always great. The food is fresh, the ambiance is fun and it is a great place for a good meal and good time. The service is always fantastic - letting us take our time, but also being mindful of us! I had the tuna tartar appetizer which was amazing and the halibut which was excellent. Don't miss an opportunity for the warm chocolate chip cookies for dessert which are to die for!! We will be back!Special Features:
- enjoyed our mealmill37woodDined on 8/22/2014My sister and I had a very nice dinner at North Star recently. I had planned to have their Veal but when the special of tempura-fried crabs was announced, both of us ordered them. Excellent choice. Will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Star, Scott's Corners, NYFoodhoundDined on 8/17/2014Great atmosphere, particularly if the weather is nice and you can get a table out on the deck. I find the interior a little dark, more appealing in the winter. The food is excellent- all beautifully done and interesting. I love the tuna tartare appetizer- much better the same dish I've had at other restaurants. Fish and sides are superbly done- nicely cooked and well-presented. Staff is great- welcoming, attentive and efficient. Have been before and will go again. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Soft shell crabs among the best anywhere that we've had in the past few years--light tempura, nicely spiced. Tuna done exactly to request. Wine list short but interesting. Small place, so can get a little noisy when it's busy, seems worse when you want to escape the misery of loud NYC dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Perfect Everything!NoNicknameVIPDined on 8/12/2014From the moment we arrived the warmth and coziness enveloped us. Table was ready on time though a walk around outside would have been just fine. Wine choices were excellent, varied and broadly priced ( all bottles <$75. were half-price that night.) Starters included velvety mushroom soup, duck dumplings in a light citrusy sauce, tuna tartare - all were amazing in both taste and texture. The chef uses a light hand which really allows you to taste the fresh goodness in each dish. Lobster with English peas, asparagus was delicate and satisfying. Steak was done perfectly. Chilean sea bass was outstanding! We don't often order fish unless it's simply grilled. Very glad we made the exception for this preparation! DO GO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesMomneedsadateVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good food in a great atmosphere. Friendly, knowledgable service. A great date-night spot that can often accomodate last-minute reservations, even though it is almost always busy. We've been with small kids, too, on the early side of the evening and had a great (if different) experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFinderVIPDined on 8/8/2014We booked a reservation for 8 people. When we arrived (dressed very informally) we were quickly taken to our seats. Wine list was great and food sensational. Not often do we have such a pleasant experience with 8 people. P.S. The desert list was just as good as the wine list. All home made 'mSpecial Features:
- Good, not greatWarrenVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was good, but prices were high for what you got.
- BulldogDined on 8/4/2014Dave and Irene were professional,attentive and lighthearted so we had a pleasant interface putting us into - or maintaining - our good mood. The halibut and tuna were excellent as was the goat cheese salad.The choice of wines was excellent,tho perhaps pricey.Overall,the mood and the food was ideal for our post golf business dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Not worth the price. Food was mediocre at best. Have had much better meals at less expensive restaurants in the area.
- The following 112 reviews are from the North Star Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Food always tasty, service friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014Menu remains small but good, but it's time for a little update and change. Soft shell crabs done nicely. Desserts can be passed on. Very friendly staff and managers, lively scene for the village.Special Features:
- PolarisAndyMorseVIPDined on 6/20/2014North Star is delightful. Its staff is gracious, charming and efficient. My wife ate a chopped salad and a wonderful lobster dish. I had the tuna tartare and a small NY strip steak that was prepared to perfection. The restaurant, located in Pound Ridge, NY feels remote and in the hilly woods...in reality less than 50 miles from Columbus Circle! The 1/2 hour drive from southern Westchester was worth it. I suggest GPS! Andy MorseSpecial Features:
- Excellent good, nice staff.AzabuplaceDined on 6/20/2014Second time here. Food is creative, delicate, good selection, outstanding. Like the relaxed, casual atmosphere with gourmet food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner67Dined on 6/19/2014We enjoyed our main course and would return; however, they really need to work on the desserts. We shared two desserts and neither was very good. We made our reservations online, but they had no record of them when we arrived. Fortunately, they had seating available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findAzabuplaceDined on 6/15/2014we had a wonderful Father's Day dinner here. The tuna tartare and the mac and cheese appetizers were both excellent. The lobster, the pork chop and a salad as main courses were all very good. The lobster was outstanding, and unlike everywhere that puts MP on the menu it was reasonably priced on the menu. A new find that we will return to!Special Features:
- pound ridge errorweightwatcherDined on 5/29/2014Highly rated by Zagat, however we found it to be overrated. The food was fair at best. Not a memorable dining experience.
- Unbelievabled105VIPDined on 5/24/2014In the middle of nowhere, a great find. Great kitchen, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to placeRStoneVIPDined on 5/7/2014North Star remains our go to place - where we know the food will be excellent, the service great and the welcome sincere. You can't go wrong for virtually any occasion or evening out.Special Features:
- Always a winner with us!ShopgirlVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food is always innovated and delicious. Can't wait to go back! I feel it tops some of the "celebrity chef" restaurants in our area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In small dosesOnpremiseguyDined on 5/3/2014Fine i guess but dont go there thinking youre not going to drop at least $100 for two. No bottles of wine no dessert and no apps and still 100+ Shake my head every time over prices and i dine in nyc all the timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014This restaurant in charming Pound Ridge is lovely. Everything delicious from the Beet and goat cheese salad to the succulent and well prepared Chilean sea bass. Warm home made chocolate chip cookies finished the meal. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treat for those in the knowjmb46Dined on 4/27/2014Tucked in Pound Ridge and a hideout for locals, North Star offers a very pleasant experience. A fairly intimate scene with a pleasant decor, it features a live band several times a week. The menu has variety, the dishes are very good (the branzino was very good) and the wine list decent. You will see the romantic couple, the girls night out, and the local old timers getting together at their favorite. The bar can be a little noisy with the live band, but the sound level remains acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousCherylDined on 4/26/2014There's not much more to say other than "Fabulous". Food was great, atmosphere great, service great. Black Truffle Pizza was one of the best things ever; chopped salad wonderful; tuna burger outrageous; great bottle of wine. I'll be back every time I pass through area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableTBDinerVIPDined on 3/29/2014Excellent and unique food and great service. A great place to go with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful, as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/11/2014Food was wonderful, as usual. Can't remember ever having a bad meal here and we eat her often.Special Features: