North Star Restaurant
85 Westchester Ave (Rt 124)
Pound Ridge, NY 10576Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
North Star Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northstarny.com/
- Phone: 9147640200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Franz Fruhmann
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Give us a call. We can do pretty much anything up to 250 persons or so.
- Entertainment: North Star has access to incredible talent from the New York/Westchester/CT area and beyond. Every week there is something memorable happening musically there. Thursday rocks the house, with great bands starting at 9pm. If you like to dance to rock 'n' roll, this is the place to be. Sunday features the incredible voice of Dennis Collins, someone who is asked regularly to sing with the biggest stars in music. He is truly magical, and sings every Sunday night at 6:30pm.
A word from North Star Restaurant
Rated 4 Stars by the NY Times - April 2012. North Star Restaurant offers casual dining with creative Contemporary American cuisine in an environment designed to feel like your living room. Comfortable with a vibe. Owner operated, North Star has a uniquely warm and friendly staff. An extremely experienced and classically trained European Chef combines the freshest local organic ingredients sourced from the finest organic farms in the NY area. His Chilean Sea Bass, Sautéed Halibut and Butter-Poached Lobster are highly regarded, as are his rich tasting cream-free soups and House-Made Ravioli. North Star is also well known for its lively bar where everyone makes a friend on their first visit, and for hosting the most talented live music in the area after dinner on Thursday nights. Peaceful and quiet outside seating during the Summer. Kid friendly on the early side. Half price bottles of wine under $75 on Tuesday nights. North Star is a unique gem and cultivates customers for lifeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
North Star Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Pound Ridge ›
North Star Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (17)great for outdoor dining (13)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have eaten at North Star several months ago and had a delicious meal, but our experience this week was at the other end of the spectrum. The soy glazed Sea Bass that I ordered was not only unappealingly presented (fish, a small mound of rice and a huge pile of unseasoned snow peas) but the fish was undercooked and inedible so I sent it back. To fill the calorie void in my stomach we decided to share the banana crepe which when it arrived was equally unappetizing. We spent over $100 on a meal for two and came away very disappointed so we will not be returning when there are so many consistently excellent restaurants in the area. With the above said the waitress we had was very friendly and extremely apologetic about the food,
- The little place in townmtraubDined on 8/31/2014If you live in or near Pound Ridge, NY, you've eaten at North Star. A small restaurant that is always booked solid, with good food cooked nicely, good service and a nice bar. If you go in expecting a nice meal in cozy quarters you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, but no ambience!GooseVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first experience at North Star. We loved the cocktails, wine, food and service but, gosh, it was so dark and drab inside we can't bring ourselves to return until the management updates the interior. What a shame!
- FantasticnelknollDined on 8/22/2014We have been to Northstar several times and it is always great. The food is fresh, the ambiance is fun and it is a great place for a good meal and good time. The service is always fantastic - letting us take our time, but also being mindful of us! I had the tuna tartar appetizer which was amazing and the halibut which was excellent. Don't miss an opportunity for the warm chocolate chip cookies for dessert which are to die for!! We will be back!Special Features:
- enjoyed our mealmill37woodDined on 8/22/2014My sister and I had a very nice dinner at North Star recently. I had planned to have their Veal but when the special of tempura-fried crabs was announced, both of us ordered them. Excellent choice. Will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Star, Scott's Corners, NYFoodhoundDined on 8/17/2014Great atmosphere, particularly if the weather is nice and you can get a table out on the deck. I find the interior a little dark, more appealing in the winter. The food is excellent- all beautifully done and interesting. I love the tuna tartare appetizer- much better the same dish I've had at other restaurants. Fish and sides are superbly done- nicely cooked and well-presented. Staff is great- welcoming, attentive and efficient. Have been before and will go again. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Soft shell crabs among the best anywhere that we've had in the past few years--light tempura, nicely spiced. Tuna done exactly to request. Wine list short but interesting. Small place, so can get a little noisy when it's busy, seems worse when you want to escape the misery of loud NYC dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Perfect Everything!NoNicknameVIPDined on 8/12/2014From the moment we arrived the warmth and coziness enveloped us. Table was ready on time though a walk around outside would have been just fine. Wine choices were excellent, varied and broadly priced ( all bottles <$75. were half-price that night.) Starters included velvety mushroom soup, duck dumplings in a light citrusy sauce, tuna tartare - all were amazing in both taste and texture. The chef uses a light hand which really allows you to taste the fresh goodness in each dish. Lobster with English peas, asparagus was delicate and satisfying. Steak was done perfectly. Chilean sea bass was outstanding! We don't often order fish unless it's simply grilled. Very glad we made the exception for this preparation! DO GO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesMomneedsadateVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good food in a great atmosphere. Friendly, knowledgable service. A great date-night spot that can often accomodate last-minute reservations, even though it is almost always busy. We've been with small kids, too, on the early side of the evening and had a great (if different) experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFinderVIPDined on 8/8/2014We booked a reservation for 8 people. When we arrived (dressed very informally) we were quickly taken to our seats. Wine list was great and food sensational. Not often do we have such a pleasant experience with 8 people. P.S. The desert list was just as good as the wine list. All home made 'mSpecial Features:
- Good, not greatWarrenVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was good, but prices were high for what you got.
- BulldogDined on 8/4/2014Dave and Irene were professional,attentive and lighthearted so we had a pleasant interface putting us into - or maintaining - our good mood. The halibut and tuna were excellent as was the goat cheese salad.The choice of wines was excellent,tho perhaps pricey.Overall,the mood and the food was ideal for our post golf business dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Not worth the price. Food was mediocre at best. Have had much better meals at less expensive restaurants in the area.
- Great neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Food always tasty, service friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014Menu remains small but good, but it's time for a little update and change. Soft shell crabs done nicely. Desserts can be passed on. Very friendly staff and managers, lively scene for the village.Special Features:
- PolarisAndyMorseVIPDined on 6/20/2014North Star is delightful. Its staff is gracious, charming and efficient. My wife ate a chopped salad and a wonderful lobster dish. I had the tuna tartare and a small NY strip steak that was prepared to perfection. The restaurant, located in Pound Ridge, NY feels remote and in the hilly woods...in reality less than 50 miles from Columbus Circle! The 1/2 hour drive from southern Westchester was worth it. I suggest GPS! Andy MorseSpecial Features:
- Excellent good, nice staff.AzabuplaceDined on 6/20/2014Second time here. Food is creative, delicate, good selection, outstanding. Like the relaxed, casual atmosphere with gourmet food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner67Dined on 6/19/2014We enjoyed our main course and would return; however, they really need to work on the desserts. We shared two desserts and neither was very good. We made our reservations online, but they had no record of them when we arrived. Fortunately, they had seating available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findAzabuplaceDined on 6/15/2014we had a wonderful Father's Day dinner here. The tuna tartare and the mac and cheese appetizers were both excellent. The lobster, the pork chop and a salad as main courses were all very good. The lobster was outstanding, and unlike everywhere that puts MP on the menu it was reasonably priced on the menu. A new find that we will return to!Special Features:
- pound ridge errorweightwatcherDined on 5/29/2014Highly rated by Zagat, however we found it to be overrated. The food was fair at best. Not a memorable dining experience.
- Unbelievabled105VIPDined on 5/24/2014In the middle of nowhere, a great find. Great kitchen, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the North Star Restaurant reviews archive.
- Our go to placeRStoneVIPDined on 5/7/2014North Star remains our go to place - where we know the food will be excellent, the service great and the welcome sincere. You can't go wrong for virtually any occasion or evening out.Special Features:
- Always a winner with us!ShopgirlVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food is always innovated and delicious. Can't wait to go back! I feel it tops some of the "celebrity chef" restaurants in our area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In small dosesOnpremiseguyDined on 5/3/2014Fine i guess but dont go there thinking youre not going to drop at least $100 for two. No bottles of wine no dessert and no apps and still 100+ Shake my head every time over prices and i dine in nyc all the timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014This restaurant in charming Pound Ridge is lovely. Everything delicious from the Beet and goat cheese salad to the succulent and well prepared Chilean sea bass. Warm home made chocolate chip cookies finished the meal. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treat for those in the knowjmb46Dined on 4/27/2014Tucked in Pound Ridge and a hideout for locals, North Star offers a very pleasant experience. A fairly intimate scene with a pleasant decor, it features a live band several times a week. The menu has variety, the dishes are very good (the branzino was very good) and the wine list decent. You will see the romantic couple, the girls night out, and the local old timers getting together at their favorite. The bar can be a little noisy with the live band, but the sound level remains acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousCherylDined on 4/26/2014There's not much more to say other than "Fabulous". Food was great, atmosphere great, service great. Black Truffle Pizza was one of the best things ever; chopped salad wonderful; tuna burger outrageous; great bottle of wine. I'll be back every time I pass through area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableTBDinerVIPDined on 3/29/2014Excellent and unique food and great service. A great place to go with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful, as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/11/2014Food was wonderful, as usual. Can't remember ever having a bad meal here and we eat her often.Special Features:
- Been here many times and NorthOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/11/2014Been here many times and North Star continues to please!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and aMelVDined on 2/27/2014Great food, service, and a lot of fun on a Thursday night Ito hear a band and see friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out!LBNCDined on 2/20/2014We hadn't been to North Star in quite a some time and decided it was time! We were happy with our decision! Some of the best Chilean Sea Bass I have ever had! We will go again quite soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here a few times now.MandyobVIPDined on 2/14/2014Been here a few times now. Food is good and service is good and friendly. Tiny room and too dark but I think that's probably part of its charm? Had steak again but it was underdone again, don't know if it's us or the chef? Anyway, asked for it to done just a little more to medium as requested but it took an unbelievable amount of time so I ate alone, not very pleasant! The steak itself was delicious as always. Definitely need an update to the dessert menu. Great for casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare Disappointment at NorthStarRichVIPDined on 2/8/2014This has been a "go to" date place for my wife and me for a long time. However, when I ordered my first entreee choice and was told they were out of it, I was disappointed. But when I ordered my second entree choice and was told the same thing, I was quite annoyed. Fortunately and not surprisingly, my third entree choice, which they did have (Sea Bass), was delicious. Nonetheless, there needs to be enough stock of each entree to handle a normal Saturday night crowd, and if this happens again at North Star, we won't be back for a while until things get back on trackSpecial Features:
- Shockingly good foodFitzcarraldoDined on 2/4/2014I've been a devoted fan of North Star since in moved to Westchester from Manhattan in 2010. The food is absolutely world-class great. Well-traveled friends who visit from the city expecting the usual mediocre suburban fare always say the same thing: "Wow!" The scene is neighborhood friendly. At least one of the owners is there nightly to greet you and make you feel like you're coming into his home. The rest of the staff are all long-timers and friendly and competent. Not a single bad note can be found in this gem of a bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy spotBrookeDined on 2/1/2014I love these cozy restaurants. Not too many tables, not stuffy, friendly staff, and, most importantly, inventive dishes! When I go out to dinner, I want to eat dishes I could not or would not make at home. This place has an outstanding and creative menu. Food was fantastic. I would recommend to anyone and will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCherylDined on 1/24/2014My second time there. Love it all...........My first choice when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Good Food and Fast ServiceBarbfebVIPDined on 1/18/2014For a neighborhood restaurant with no airs at all they do an excellent job. Prompt attention and service, deep bar that even had Oban 14, friendly attentive waitress....zucchini soup was perfect, turkey meatloaf well flavored and the two chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches will knock your socks off! We had to take one home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music and gastro delightBritishfoodieDined on 1/16/2014Really nice gastro pub fare in this small but cozy location. Plenty to choose from on the menu but the steaks cooked with North Star's own cajun rub is excellent. Thursday's are a fun night to be there: Live bands playing "grown up" music whilst enjoying good food. What could be better?Special Features:
- Always GoodHenWeighVIPDined on 1/16/2014Food and service are always good. Owner is friendly but not intrusive. A little out of the way for us otherwise I would go a lot more often.Special Features: