North Star American Bistro-Shorewood
4518 Oakland Ave
Shorewood, WI 53211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
North Star American Bistro-Shorewood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://northstarbistro.com/
- Phone: (414) 964-4663
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00 am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Duffy O'Neil
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from North Star American Bistro-Shorewood
North Star American Bistro offers outstanding burgers, amazing seafood and steak and other seasonal, reasonable entrees in a comfortable, contemporary setting. North Star also has a full-service, non-smoking bar where you can relax and enjoy cocktails, appetizers or a full meal any time of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
North Star American Bistro-Shorewood - Best Restaurants in Shorewood ›
North Star American Bistro-Shorewood reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (12)special occasion (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- lak123Dined on 11/15/2014food very disappointing, meatloaf had odd seasoning and tenderloin sandwich was very tuff and grizzled. When we left sandwich and told waitress, she offered nothing except she would tell chef. Overall bad experience, will not returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodanonymousDined on 11/8/2014This was our first time in the restaurant. The salmon special was outstanding. We were with friends and wanted to linger over drinks and appetizers before ordering. The waiter was a little too enthusiastic and came back too many times to ask if we were ready to order. He was very accommodating when we kept turning him away, but someone else might have felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoy coming here eat with our daughter and grandchildren because of the kid friendly room in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning experience !GosiaandScottDined on 11/2/2014This was our first time. We were looking for a new place to check. We had a delish food from salads to deserts! The beef short rib was to die for!!! Definitely going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect night!Foodiechick57Dined on 11/1/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated well. Our waiter Maxwell was wonderful. Attentive but not overbearing. We each enjoyed our entrées from a steak sandwich to the pasta special. I appreciated the request for feedback on the pasta. My comment was taken with respect and with the purpose to improve the food as much as possible. The fall menu is impressive and I look forward to returning to sample more of the bounty of fall themed items. I recommend this lovely neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014We has the dinner special of butternut squash risotto with scallops. It was wonderful! Our server was efficient and delightful! Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North star bistroCraftymbsDined on 9/20/2014Northstar bistro is our go-to restaurant for any and all occasions. We have celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, retirement, and reunions here. I have never had a meal that wasn't absolutely fabulous. My personal favorites are the bourbon salmon and the almond crusted whitefish. Service is always spot on and I love the breadbasket that they offer. We will continue to patronize this fantastic restaurant. We have recommended it many times over and will continue this practice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindlovetocookDined on 9/19/2014This was my first dining experience in this new section of Shorewood. I was very impressed and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- reservationqueenDined on 9/14/2014Great place for Sunday brunch! The $5 make your own Bloody Mary bar is always fantastic with many garnishes to choose from. The usual array of breakfast brunch items on the menu are all delicious; tasty salads and pizza are also offered.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantMjohnson5584Dined on 9/7/2014Had Sunday brunch & food was outstanding. Great location & ate outdoors. Really enjoyed the Bloody Mary bar. Great service and reasonable prices for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationqueenDined on 8/17/2014The food here is always amazing and on Sundays they offer a make your own Bloody Mary Bar for $5 per drink. They put out a wide variety of garnishes. Yum! Entrees on both the brunch and lunch menu are delicious. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Exceptional service and food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014We celebrated a very special birthday event at North Star. Our waiter could not have been any better. Maxwell was extremely interactive with all our our guests, recommended great food selections and made the dining experience a memorable one. Our good was great, the Salmon and risotto special tremendous. It was so good we went back last eve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 355 reviews are from the North Star American Bistro-Shorewood reviews archive.
- Reliable nearby diningfloydsterVIPDined on 7/24/2014When you want decent food at a nearby restaurant ( Shorewood) this is a good choice. Most meals have been good but I would pass on the pretzel crusted pork chop. Not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationqueenDined on 7/20/2014The food here is always very good and modestly priced. The wait staff is friendly and very efficient.Special Features:
- outforbreakfastoutforbreakfastDined on 7/20/2014Great service, the food was excellent, seated right away.Special Features:
- Kid Friendlykjd1204VIPDined on 7/13/2014We had a group of 8 (6 adults, 2 children) to celebrate an anniversary. We sat in the kids room which was perfect for my 2-1/2 yr old. Service was great. I didn't realize their was a Brunch only menu on Sundays. I was hoping to have the full lunch menu available as well. The waiter did say he would ask the chef if they could make something off of their normal lunch menu, but I didn't ask. I ordered the salad and 1/2 pizza (margherita) which was fantastic. I ate the salad (lemon-thyme vinaigrette was wonderful) and 2 slices of pizza, my husband had the other two.Special Features:
- ExcellentSteveDined on 7/5/2014Excellent food at reasonable prices. Food is well prepared, attractively presented, and delicious. My wife had the scallops which were outstanding.Special Features:
- Thursday eveningPaulamilwaukeeDined on 6/5/2014Four of us celebrated a special occasion last Thursday night. We had a delicious dinner, all of us ordering different entrees, and each of us pleased with our choice. We also shared a delicious appetizer of calamari. Our server was very thoughtful and took good care of us.Special Features:
- Good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014Enjoyed a good dinner. The menu made it hard to choose - there were several items that sounded good (available online). Eggplant & zucchini appetizer (1/2 of each) was lightly breaded and crispy with 3 dipping sauces - thumbs up. Pork chop was excellent! - large portion. Risotto was very good. Short rib itself was a little bland but had a good sauce with spinach and cheddar mashed potatoes. Should have ordered the Beef Bourguignon for less money. Service was attentive, but our waitress seemed a little plastic to me - all the common lines like she just got out of waitress school. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service, Fresh Food, SpaciousGreenHarpyDined on 5/31/2014North Star American Bistro in Shorewood has good food, a nice cocktail list, and menu variety, from casual sandwiches and burgers to salmon, scallops, and steak. Prices are reasonable and the dining areas are spacious. The service was good and the food was fresh tasting and well prepared. I would have preferred a vegetarian entree option (other than the mushroom sandwich, although it was delicious) but I think had I asked for a pasta dish without the scallops, it would have been possible. There are a variety of salads as well. The chocolate mouse dessert was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodZetsDined on 5/29/2014We always have a good meal, nice atmosphere and last time we were there the bar was really hoppin'. Great neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDinerDined on 5/25/2014We were surprised that it wasn't more crowded. The food and service and ambiance are good. So, not the greatest feeling to be in an almost empty restaurant on a Sunday night (altho it was Memorial Day weekend), but will definitely return.Special Features:
- north star again goodmck738VIPDined on 5/17/2014the new menu is definitely fresh and improved. loved my pepper steak.Special Features:
- North Star American Mother's DayHommeVIPDined on 5/11/2014A transportation delay caused my arrival to be substantially delayed, missing my 1:30 PM Mother's Day Brunch reservation. The hostess was able to accommodate a suitable table, in spite of a full house, lots of walk in customers, and a full patio of diners enjoying the 79 degree sunshine. Families with three generations were seated nearby and I was able to look on, as a number of young grandsons paid a visit to the bartender, for an apple juice toast to their mothers. I am certain these young men will remember the day for quite some time.Special Features:
- North Shore But Not PretentiousPapooseDined on 5/11/2014Mother's day Brunch was served up by a polite attentive server. Food was delicious, although the poached eggs were a bit under done. Potatoes could have been a bit more crispy and less oily, but that is a personal preference. The Bloody Mary Bar was incredible. $5 for a very complete selection of mixes, meats, shrimp, veggies, cheese, and spices...and a healthy shot of vodka on ice! Mother's Dauy, so many little children and elderly. Very cozy yet modern environment. We will be back.Special Features:
- Consistently greatFredVIPDined on 5/6/2014Always a great meal served by friendly and professional waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs cooked to perfectionShorewoodfamilyDined on 5/4/2014It is always a pleasure to eat at North Star Bistro. The service is impeccable and the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Good food, but poor serviceSusieDined on 4/25/2014The food was good but unfortunately our waitress was either overworked or forgetful. She took forever to come and take drink orders and then forgot to put in our order for appetizers. Also neglected to ask if wanted dessert or coffee before tossing check down...we did want another drink and dessert, but decided to go elsewhere for that after she tossed check at us.Special Features:
- An east side genClaraDined on 4/25/2014Thoroughly enjoyed my experience here. The service was excellent, attentive but not rushed. The menu had a good selection although I chose one of the specials. This was the perfect place for lunch with the girls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality at a reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Food was good as was the portion size. I personally liked the layout. Seemed very spacious. Nice design style too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Perfect place for dinner, excellent service and a great, diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite.KittyVIPDined on 4/11/2014North Star Bistro is our go to restaurant. The staff go out of their way to make certain we have a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fine Meal!foodloverDined on 4/5/2014With my daughter in town, she wanted to go to her favorite restaurant - North Star! We weren't disappointed with an amazing bourbon salmon and exceptional beef burgundy. The steak and shrimp became something special with a cognac sauce for the steak and a subtle citrus touch for the shrimp. The only bummer was the service. It wasn't too busy, but our waitress just seemed to be having an off night - long gaps between check ins, not telling the specials until asked, long wait for the check. As fairly frequent diners here, this was not typical at all - the service is usually great. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night at North Star AmericanPaulamilwaukeeDined on 4/4/2014Two of my friends and I had a very good meal at this restaurant. We all had fish. Mine was the breaded perch; although the perch was good and fresh, I did not much like the breading, which overpowered the fish. The coleslaw was excellent, as was the spinach. I asked if I could substitute something for the fries, which is how I ended up with the spinach. However, our server did not say that there was an extra charge of $1.50. I would have liked to be told that. Our server did not wait on us very quickly nor did he bring us the wine we had ordered for about 15 minutes. The service is never very good there and I think there are not enough waitpeople for the customers.Special Features:
- Great Experiencedesin4uDined on 3/28/2014The food was great. I had the short ribs and they were delicious! Service was prompt and courteous and prices were a great value for the quality of food. I am definitely coming back!Special Features:
- great biz lunchTootsiesMomDined on 3/27/2014Took some natives to NSB for first time and they were very impressed! Food service and ambiance all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant for lunchfoodieDined on 3/13/2014Lovely spot for lunch. The mushroom soup was terrific and we had wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of everythingLynneDined on 3/6/2014The menu at the North Star American Bistro in Shorewood has a good range of options from fresh soups, interesting salad combinations to foodie-loving main courses. I had the Scallop-Truffle Salad. I would never have thought to put that combination together but it was delicious. Others had two of the different steaks on the main menu and the shrimp gumbo. Not complaints in any quarter. All dishes were a treat to the palate The service was excellent and the atmosphere lively. Although the restaurant was nearly full we were easily able to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccassionsaladloverDined on 2/27/2014We were celebrating a birthday and had 6 in our party. It was nice to be seated at a table where we all had room - we weren't crammed into a booth. Happy hour specials in the bar only were going on and the house wine was quite tasty. The food was delicious, along with the homemade bread served before our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy Dining and Bright AmbienceGreatfoodseekerDined on 2/27/2014As always, my recent dining experience at North Star Bistro in Shorewood was delightful. Upon entering, my friends and I felt welcomed and relaxed. Our server Dan was most attentive, and the healthy menu options were varied and tempting. Most impressive beyond the taste of our entrees and dessert was the presentation. I look forward to many more visits since everyone I bring here becomes a fan. I have dined here with large and small groups and am already excited about my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.