103 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northsquareny.com/
- Phone: 2122541200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast, Everyday: 7:30am-11:00am Brunch, Saturday: 12:00pm-3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm Lunch, Monday-Friday: 12:00pm-3:30pm Dinner, Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm Lounge, Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Yoel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from North Square
An intimate American Restaurant with plush, cozy banquettes and picture perfect views of Washington Square with a separate, hide-away speakeasy cocktail lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)great for lunch (30)great for brunch (28)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (15)good for groups (13)romantic (11)notable wine list (11)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- abssezgoDined on 9/21/2014been here before - always come away satisfied: $20.00 Sunday brunch was just right! A really good omelet served with nice greens and good home fries (to me that's what makes a good breakfast/brunch!), good breads and a very good blood mary and coffee: not a bad buy! location on Washington Square perfect for wandering around the villages (east and west)...introduced a friend and she thoroughly enjoyed it..then on to a student production at Skirball Hall...a very good Sunday in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We found North Square to be very enjoyable. The service and food was very good -but the place needs a little updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Square FlowerDonneVIPDined on 9/17/2014Everything was GREAT including all the beautiful fresh flowers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Service was awful which can make the experience awful even if the food is goodSpecial Features:
- never disappointedSeniorVillagerDined on 9/13/2014Excellent service, superb food in this neighbourhood gem - always a special time. Crab & lobster cakes, braised short ribs, Moroccan cod among the delicious dishes we enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GillyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Quiet, small, l wonderful food and comfortable - much like a small restaurant you would find in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT JAZZ BRUNCH1KTravelerVIPDined on 8/31/2014I went to hear the always wonderful Roz Corral for jazz brunch. As usual, Roz featured the best musicians as sidemen and they sounded awesome. I had the prix fixe jazz brunch and it consisted of a tasty omelette served with lightly dressed greens and potatoes. The bread basket is a favorite with a variety of sweet and savory flavors. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerEagleVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a very dinner dinner before we dropped off my nephew at NYU to start his freshman year. The food was good and the service was great too. Very convenient to NYU.Special Features:
- reliable excellent foodCSRNYCVIPDined on 8/20/2014The menu has changed now by offering a 2-course lunch option. The number of options of high quality, well prepared food is sufficient, and the prices remain moderate. This is one of a handful of superior restaurants near Washington Square.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went for the last day of restaurant week and loved everything from the large portions to the constantly-filled water, bread, and olives to delicious food and great service. The risotto was amazing (with zucchini and spinach) and the raspberry linger was so good I stole it from my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch/Prix Fix at North SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Service is wonderful, in a rather charming rathskeller of a place. the soup (a minty gaspacho) and desert (flourless chocolate cake) were good. the entree, a seafood paella, was not good however --too spicey and, mainly, it did not taste like a paella (fish overcooked and also the paella too watery). This was part of their prix fix menu. i remember liking the food my previous time here but cannot remember what i orderd. the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and CharmingJamesNewYorkCityDined on 8/3/2014Little place attached to a small hotel in the Village. Great food for brunch and good food for dinner. Lovely rooms art on the walls very friendly and engaging staffSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Bartender started the might ogg great. Funny and witty. Service at dinner was great. Food was exceptional. Thanks for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTamiDined on 7/27/2014We had a wonderful brunch! The Jazz Band was amazing! The food, the atmosphere and the service were great!Special Features:
- A FavoriteJillVIPDined on 7/22/2014North Sq. is a favorite in the village for a relaxed lunch or dinner with friends or a work related meeting.Special Features:
- has all the ingredients...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014Great ambiance, consistently good food, very attentive, friendly service-a neighborhood winner.Special Features:
- Quiet QualityQuietQualityDined on 7/17/2014North Square always can be relied upon for the excellent quality of the food and its imaginative, yet understated preparation. Service is well timed and responsive; however, language is sometimes an issue with communication. The pleasant ambience and low noise level are reflective of the restaurant's intimate size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable experienceRonGDined on 7/16/2014Not your "happening" scene, which meant we could get a reservation, were not rushed or ignored, and could hear ourselves talk. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Food was very good and prices reasonable, just what we were looking for for this occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014we all had a great time over a great meal. Service was courteous . everyone had a lovely time.
- Our favorite placefudisuDined on 7/7/2014We brought my cousin for her 65th birthday dinner. She loved it. so did we, as usual. Everything was on point, and now there are several gluten free options too. Always pleasant and accommodating. The food is always wonderful. And there are some very interesting coctails which seem to change regularly. Someone is brimming with inventiveness over there. We love the decor and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific long lazy brunchKatie10033Dined on 7/5/2014Excellent service, pretty good food. We had a large group, celebrating a special birthday, and they were really nice to us.Special Features:
- a real sleeperstephenDined on 7/2/2014great food, comfortable, quiet enough for adult conversation, great location in the village. a rare combination in NY.Special Features:
- HorribleAzizDined on 6/27/2014This place is not worth it.The food is not delicious, waiters show you attitude, the interior requires renovation. A no no place!
- FoodieDined on 6/27/2014Dining here is always a pleasure. The food is wonderfully prepared and it is a very comfortable place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wasteFieryfingers14VIPDined on 6/21/2014Indifferent service and way over priced. A tourist trap.
- An unknown neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a great meal! We have been eating at this restaurant for many years now, including Valentine's Day this year. We have consistently had wonderful meals (no matter if it is fish, seafood, chicken or beef), with friendly, attentive service. The best desserts ever! We recommend this restaurant to everyone we know, but are happy that it is a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Quiet enough to have a conversationsquarepeg0Dined on 6/12/2014North Square is very reliable for the food. It's pretty. The service is good. But what I like best about it is you don't have to shout to be heard across your table. Also, the menu is never boring; the salads are substantial and interesting; the burgers are great; the service reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1008 reviews are from the North Square reviews archive.
- excellent venue for dinnerVillageChoiceDined on 5/28/2014very good food, excellent environment, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nottotallywowed4Dined on 5/28/2014Ordered the duck breast with soba noodles and spinach. Delicious! The dessert: strawberry shortcake was not typical in that the cake was more like a biscuit in texture, but fresh and delicious tasty strawberries. . . not an excess of whipped cream. wonderful and satisfying ended with excellent coffee freshly and individually brewed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit stuffyTravelingwomanVIPDined on 5/23/2014The restaurant was more of a comfortable neighborhood place for the older set. Food was Ok, bar was nice, but the big plus was that it was relatively quiet and one could enjoy conversation with table mates.
- ExcellentRosyDined on 5/21/2014Food great, quiet, easy pleasant. A favorite local place and the guests I brought loved it. Good variety of menu for vegetarians as well.Special Features:
- Is North Square slipping?RodashVIPDined on 5/17/2014While the food and atmosphere are still fine, I am beginning to wonder about the service. The waitress did not seem fully attentive and kept disappearing. We had to enlist the greeter to get bread and then again to get our check. For the second time they didn't ask whether we wanted coffee until we were finishing our dessert. A troubling trend.Special Features:
- We had a very nice dinner!mariepDined on 5/16/2014Very nice little place. The menu offers good choices and the food is very good. Loved the music. And the location is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerracefanDined on 5/12/2014Travelling on business, I chose this restaurant because it was convenient. I was beyond pleased. Often , servers aren't thrilled to have a one-top but I was given professional and attentive service by everyone on duty. The radicchio and Bibb lettuce salad with creamy goat cheese and roasted beets could have been a meal in itself along with the excellent bread and olives that are set on the table. I had the filet au poivre and frites. It was prepared perfectly and the au jus was so tasty. It came with roasted Vidalia onions which I gobbled up because I am a fool for Vidalias. The potatoes were so-so but didn't detract greatly from the meal. I wish I had room for dessert since the selections looked wonderful.Special Features:
- A delightful dining experienceMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 5/12/2014North Square has a unique history in the heart of Greenwich Village and everyone must dine there to hear about its origins, taste the delicious food and enjoy the feeling of the early days of New York City! I wholeheartedly recommend it!Special Features:
- Poor finishClaudiaDined on 5/11/2014The brunch was great but it took 20 minutes to get the bill and then 5 more minutes to correct the over billing mistake.Special Features:
- Great Eating ExperienceDonneVIPDined on 5/7/2014Love the food, the service, the fresh flowers, and the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Great to know we can have tasty dinner in a nice quiet place, where we can invite friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday in NYmoodyfoodieDined on 5/4/2014Great place for a Sunday brunch with jazz. Request to be seated in the jazz room if you want that experience. It is delightful. Great food, especially the prix-fixe combination. Delicious food and smooth jazz! Very reasonable for NYC too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow !DonneVIPDined on 4/30/2014What a Great experience. Great food, service, and wine. Not rushed, a liesurely meal in a lovely room, filled with fresh flowers. What more can one ask for?Special Features: