103 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northsquareny.com/
- Phone: 2122541200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast, Everyday: 7:30am-11:00am Brunch, Saturday: 12:00pm-3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm Lunch, Monday-Friday: 12:00pm-3:30pm Dinner, Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm Lounge, Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Yoel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from North Square
An intimate American Restaurant with plush, cozy banquettes and picture perfect views of Washington Square with a separate, hide-away speakeasy cocktail lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (36)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (28)special occasion (18)good for groups (18)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great meal & serviceDonneVIPDined on 10/22/2014The Risotto was outstanding! Fish of the day, Cod, was done to perfection. As usual a very comfortable place to dine. Food, wine and service were the BEST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as it isMAGSDined on 10/15/2014I hope this neighborhood gem stays around for a very long time. The food is good (the brunch is amazing), the service gracious and the location, tucked away but not too far away, makes for a lovely place to bring guests from out of town or for a meal before an event at the Public Theater, the Joyce, or any of the West Village clubs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT meal!DonneVIPDined on 10/15/2014Yum, yum.. . The medium-rare salmon was done to 'perfection'!Special Features:
- A round peg in a square hole ?LotsaDined on 10/14/2014There is something nice about this place and also something odd. On the one hand you have very attractive people welcoming you on the other hand i could not work out who was managing the place. The food was probably better than the 3 stars but we all suffered from salt overdose later and were all drinking water like mad. Chefs should realise that 1990s methods of flavouring have moved on and salt should be on the table not in the food. We were well served but it was very stilted. If I was the owner I would be worried about the loose canons being left to their own devices. I felt they were more busy doing things than caring for us. In short a clunky heavy handed experience but the quality of the food was good marred only by the saltiness .Special Features:
- Great choice for village diningNyfoodieDined on 10/13/2014Lovely spot with great food, courteous staff and lovely atmosphere. A little gem in the village! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service LackingrichysVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food is quite tasty, but the service is quite amateurish. When we ordered a bottle of wine, they basically suggested that we order by the glass instead since they weren't sure if they would be able to find the bottle. We did decide to select a bottle and it take them forever to bring it to the table.
- Never a bad mealcuzdocDined on 10/10/2014The food is excellent as are the wines. The service is friendly and prompt and the atmosphere is comfortable.Special Features:
- Indifferent serviceDitteDined on 10/6/2014Server had a rather cold demeanor. Atmosphere was pleasant, food was good, particularly the chopped salad. Drinks were fine.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in the VillageVillageSeniorDined on 10/2/2014North Square has been my favorite restaurant in the Village for years. The food is always good with wonderful bread and olives. It is quiet so a conversation is possible and they don't play the music too loud in the lounge. The service is good so overall North Square is an A plus for me.Special Features:
- Always consistentBEE1Dined on 9/30/2014North Square is somewhat unique as local restaurants go. The hum in the restaurant is low allowing for easy flowing conversation. The service is unrushed allowing for a leisurely meal. Moreover, unlike many restaurants, you can order your main course a la carte and supplement with side dishes of choice. Although this option is no longer on the menu all you need to do is ask. As a result our group has always had an excellent, well-priced meal of exactly what we want to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly findUpperEastsiderVIPDined on 9/26/2014A lovely low-key Washington Square gem. Food was fantastic, and the service warm and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abssezgoDined on 9/21/2014been here before - always come away satisfied: $20.00 Sunday brunch was just right! A really good omelet served with nice greens and good home fries (to me that's what makes a good breakfast/brunch!), good breads and a very good blood mary and coffee: not a bad buy! location on Washington Square perfect for wandering around the villages (east and west)...introduced a friend and she thoroughly enjoyed it..then on to a student production at Skirball Hall...a very good Sunday in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We found North Square to be very enjoyable. The service and food was very good -but the place needs a little updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Square FlowerDonneVIPDined on 9/17/2014Everything was GREAT including all the beautiful fresh flowers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Service was awful which can make the experience awful even if the food is goodSpecial Features:
- never disappointedSeniorVillagerDined on 9/13/2014Excellent service, superb food in this neighbourhood gem - always a special time. Crab & lobster cakes, braised short ribs, Moroccan cod among the delicious dishes we enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GillyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Quiet, small, l wonderful food and comfortable - much like a small restaurant you would find in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT JAZZ BRUNCH1KTravelerVIPDined on 8/31/2014I went to hear the always wonderful Roz Corral for jazz brunch. As usual, Roz featured the best musicians as sidemen and they sounded awesome. I had the prix fixe jazz brunch and it consisted of a tasty omelette served with lightly dressed greens and potatoes. The bread basket is a favorite with a variety of sweet and savory flavors. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerEagleVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a very dinner dinner before we dropped off my nephew at NYU to start his freshman year. The food was good and the service was great too. Very convenient to NYU.Special Features:
- reliable excellent foodCSRNYCVIPDined on 8/20/2014The menu has changed now by offering a 2-course lunch option. The number of options of high quality, well prepared food is sufficient, and the prices remain moderate. This is one of a handful of superior restaurants near Washington Square.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went for the last day of restaurant week and loved everything from the large portions to the constantly-filled water, bread, and olives to delicious food and great service. The risotto was amazing (with zucchini and spinach) and the raspberry linger was so good I stole it from my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch/Prix Fix at North SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Service is wonderful, in a rather charming rathskeller of a place. the soup (a minty gaspacho) and desert (flourless chocolate cake) were good. the entree, a seafood paella, was not good however --too spicey and, mainly, it did not taste like a paella (fish overcooked and also the paella too watery). This was part of their prix fix menu. i remember liking the food my previous time here but cannot remember what i orderd. the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and CharmingJamesNewYorkCityDined on 8/3/2014Little place attached to a small hotel in the Village. Great food for brunch and good food for dinner. Lovely rooms art on the walls very friendly and engaging staffSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014Bartender started the might ogg great. Funny and witty. Service at dinner was great. Food was exceptional. Thanks for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTamiDined on 7/27/2014We had a wonderful brunch! The Jazz Band was amazing! The food, the atmosphere and the service were great!Special Features:
- A FavoriteJillVIPDined on 7/22/2014North Sq. is a favorite in the village for a relaxed lunch or dinner with friends or a work related meeting.Special Features:
- has all the ingredients...foodislifeVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great ambiance, consistently good food, very attentive, friendly service-a neighborhood winner.Special Features:
- Quiet QualityQuietQualityDined on 7/17/2014North Square always can be relied upon for the excellent quality of the food and its imaginative, yet understated preparation. Service is well timed and responsive; however, language is sometimes an issue with communication. The pleasant ambience and low noise level are reflective of the restaurant's intimate size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable experienceRonGDined on 7/16/2014Not your "happening" scene, which meant we could get a reservation, were not rushed or ignored, and could hear ourselves talk. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Food was very good and prices reasonable, just what we were looking for for this occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014we all had a great time over a great meal. Service was courteous . everyone had a lovely time.
- Our favorite placefudisuDined on 7/7/2014We brought my cousin for her 65th birthday dinner. She loved it. so did we, as usual. Everything was on point, and now there are several gluten free options too. Always pleasant and accommodating. The food is always wonderful. And there are some very interesting coctails which seem to change regularly. Someone is brimming with inventiveness over there. We love the decor and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific long lazy brunchKatie10033Dined on 7/5/2014Excellent service, pretty good food. We had a large group, celebrating a special birthday, and they were really nice to us.Special Features:
- a real sleeperstephenDined on 7/2/2014great food, comfortable, quiet enough for adult conversation, great location in the village. a rare combination in NY.Special Features:
- HorribleAzizDined on 6/27/2014This place is not worth it.The food is not delicious, waiters show you attitude, the interior requires renovation. A no no place!
- FoodieDined on 6/27/2014Dining here is always a pleasure. The food is wonderfully prepared and it is a very comfortable place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1011 reviews are from the North Square reviews archive.
- What a wasteFieryfingers14VIPDined on 6/21/2014Indifferent service and way over priced. A tourist trap.
- An unknown neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a great meal! We have been eating at this restaurant for many years now, including Valentine's Day this year. We have consistently had wonderful meals (no matter if it is fish, seafood, chicken or beef), with friendly, attentive service. The best desserts ever! We recommend this restaurant to everyone we know, but are happy that it is a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Quiet enough to have a conversationsquarepeg0Dined on 6/12/2014North Square is very reliable for the food. It's pretty. The service is good. But what I like best about it is you don't have to shout to be heard across your table. Also, the menu is never boring; the salads are substantial and interesting; the burgers are great; the service reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent venue for dinnerVillageChoiceDined on 5/28/2014very good food, excellent environment, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nottotallywowed4Dined on 5/28/2014Ordered the duck breast with soba noodles and spinach. Delicious! The dessert: strawberry shortcake was not typical in that the cake was more like a biscuit in texture, but fresh and delicious tasty strawberries. . . not an excess of whipped cream. wonderful and satisfying ended with excellent coffee freshly and individually brewed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.