103 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northsquareny.com/
- Phone: (212) 254-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast, Everyday: 7:30am-11:00am Brunch, Saturday: 12:00pm-3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm Lunch, Monday-Friday: 12:00pm-3:30pm Dinner, Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm Lounge, Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Yoel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from North Square
An intimate American Restaurant with plush, cozy banquettes and picture perfect views of Washington Square with a separate, hide-away speakeasy cocktail lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (49)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (32)special occasion (22)good for groups (22)romantic (18)notable wine list (17)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great local spotLocaleaterDined on 11/18/2014Great menu and perfectly prepared food. Quiet and could easily talk. Love the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasent SurpriseFunat45Dined on 11/16/2014The food was excellent and the service was great. I was a little put off by the seating but quiet atmosphere made up for that. It was the perfect spot for a dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Consistent, Always a Pleasure.LESFoodloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014I have the pleasure of dining at North Square whenever my relatives stay at the Washington Square Hotel. I have been going there for years and I have to say, the food is consistently wonderful. They serve the very best olives in the city with bread at the table for a little bite and have a beautiful selection of salads and entrees--the menu is designed so thoughtful that many of the flavors from one course prepare the palate perfectly for the next. I love the arctic char with the slow roasted tomatoes. For a treat, have the gluten free and vegan pear crumble, it tastes like home. The North Square is a New York institution in my mind and I hope it never changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodie57VIPDined on 11/13/2014Nice menu , good food and wine Must have a reservation Best for lunch then breakfast followed by dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Was a Pleasure!LoisVIPDined on 11/12/2014I have dined in a half dozen restaurants in this area of Union Square, and this by far my most favorite. The food was very good, atmosphere very agreeable, wait staff very nice and efficient. The two of us had fish dishes, Atlantic Char and Cod. Both of us were very pleased. Next time I want to try the lounge and listen to some music. I was sorry the Calamari was not offered in the restaurant....apparently you can only order that in the lounge area.Special Features:
- GREAT EXPERIENCEDonneVIPDined on 11/12/2014Everything was perfect! Food delicious, wine notable, service outstanding, A friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Return to North SquareIrishfe53VIPDined on 11/11/2014Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner this quiet hotel dining room has good comforting food and service. Surprisingly good garlic pickled olives, onions and gherkins to start dinner. Ample portions. Pleasant helpful service. Liked the arctic char and very tender steak. Very good sorbets.Special Features:
- SraneDined on 11/8/2014I LOVED the fact that the restaurant was quiet and one could have a conversation. AND the food was really very good. As my friend said, "I didn't know places like this existed in Manhattan". It's so hard to find a restaurant where the atmosphere is calm, the food is great and the ambiance is inviting. Thank you SusanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!Anouchka333Dined on 11/8/2014the location is great considering the upgrade of the Park across the street The food is excellent, the staff knowledgable and efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find in Greenwich VillageUESfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I were loooking for a restaurant near Washington Square, since we had tickets to an off-Broadway performance on MacDougal Street. We had a delicious anniversary dinner at North Square. The staff was very attentive and the food was excelent. My husband's seared yellow tail tuna entree was delicious, as was my Arctic char. The salads were delicous and there was a fabulous assortment of autumn-inspired desserts. We particularly enjoyed our ginger cheesecake with kumquats. North Square is a real fine.Special Features:
- Another GREAT meal!DonneVIPDined on 11/5/2014North Square never disappoints. Great food, wine, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experienceKitKatDined on 11/4/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here and everything was perfect. Our meals were perfect, the artichoke soup was so good! Attentive service and a comfortable atmosphere made it a great evening.Special Features:
- unfriendly servicemmc3Dined on 11/1/2014Our table thought the food was quite good, everyone was pleased with appetizers, entrees and desserts. The service was unfriendly and for the most part absentee. The sommelier was knowledgeable but also quite unfriendly and superior. The service people tended to disappear, as if they had something better going on in the kitchen or a back room. Given that the atmosphere is dated and worn, the restaurant can't have a second strike against it, especially given that service should be an easy fix. Right now, the place only has its food going for it and I have too many choices to feel compelled to return to a place where we were summarily dismissed.
- goergoerDined on 11/1/2014I was very pleasantly surprised by the food at North Square. I had never been there before. It is truly a neighborhood gem. The risotto was excellent and the salad delicious. They even grow some of their own veggies on the roof! normally I don't order dessert but they had panna cotta on the menu - and their version was one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to....JLDOCDined on 11/1/2014Perfect for small business meetings or old friend reunions...affordable, classy, great menu and service.Special Features:
- A Sure ThingTexasDined on 10/31/2014I love the Lounge at No Square. The food is consistently delicious, fresh, and plentiful. The service is always outstanding. The bartender(s) make a terrific drink. This is an all around great restaurant. We always bring our in town and out of town friends to dinner here and everyone loves it.Special Features:
- Great meal!!!DonneVIPDined on 10/29/2014Eating at North Square is always a pleasure. GREAT food, service and vino. Thank you, V WillisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food at North SquareMarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 10/29/2014Every time I dine at North Square, the food is really great, the service attentive and the atmosphere welcoming. It's convenient too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ellessDined on 10/28/2014Comfortable, never feel crowded or rushed, not too much noise...so, great for conversation most importantly, unfailingly delicious, clean tasting food with a good variety of preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WawoVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was good but it took a long time to get 2 hamburgers. Then the fries were way overcooked. Staff was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Everything was super tasty! Deserts are delicious...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!jayninerDined on 10/24/2014The food was excellent, service attentive, in a somewhat cramped and busy atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good lunchalisonoVIPDined on 10/22/2014Came here with colleagues for a nice lunch. We were worried service would be slow, and it was a little bit slow. The food was all pretty good. I didn't think the chicken quesadillas were that good, but we all liked the other entrees. It's a nice little restaurant in a location convenient for NYU people.Special Features:
- North Square always delights!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been there for breakfast, lunch and dinner many times and each time, the food is terrific, the service attentive and the environment welcoming! You will love their menu, the tastes and the warm, diligent staff! Thank you!Special Features:
- Great meal & serviceDonneVIPDined on 10/22/2014The Risotto was outstanding! Fish of the day, Cod, was done to perfection. As usual a very comfortable place to dine. Food, wine and service were the BEST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as it isMAGSDined on 10/15/2014I hope this neighborhood gem stays around for a very long time. The food is good (the brunch is amazing), the service gracious and the location, tucked away but not too far away, makes for a lovely place to bring guests from out of town or for a meal before an event at the Public Theater, the Joyce, or any of the West Village clubs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT meal!DonneVIPDined on 10/15/2014Yum, yum.. . The medium-rare salmon was done to 'perfection'!Special Features:
- A round peg in a square hole ?LotsaDined on 10/14/2014There is something nice about this place and also something odd. On the one hand you have very attractive people welcoming you on the other hand i could not work out who was managing the place. The food was probably better than the 3 stars but we all suffered from salt overdose later and were all drinking water like mad. Chefs should realise that 1990s methods of flavouring have moved on and salt should be on the table not in the food. We were well served but it was very stilted. If I was the owner I would be worried about the loose canons being left to their own devices. I felt they were more busy doing things than caring for us. In short a clunky heavy handed experience but the quality of the food was good marred only by the saltiness .Special Features:
- Great choice for village diningNyfoodieDined on 10/13/2014Lovely spot with great food, courteous staff and lovely atmosphere. A little gem in the village! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service LackingrichysVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food is quite tasty, but the service is quite amateurish. When we ordered a bottle of wine, they basically suggested that we order by the glass instead since they weren't sure if they would be able to find the bottle. We did decide to select a bottle and it take them forever to bring it to the table.
- Never a bad mealcuzdocDined on 10/10/2014The food is excellent as are the wines. The service is friendly and prompt and the atmosphere is comfortable.Special Features:
- Indifferent serviceDitteDined on 10/6/2014Server had a rather cold demeanor. Atmosphere was pleasant, food was good, particularly the chopped salad. Drinks were fine.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in the VillageVillageSeniorDined on 10/2/2014North Square has been my favorite restaurant in the Village for years. The food is always good with wonderful bread and olives. It is quiet so a conversation is possible and they don't play the music too loud in the lounge. The service is good so overall North Square is an A plus for me.Special Features:
- Always consistentBEE1Dined on 9/30/2014North Square is somewhat unique as local restaurants go. The hum in the restaurant is low allowing for easy flowing conversation. The service is unrushed allowing for a leisurely meal. Moreover, unlike many restaurants, you can order your main course a la carte and supplement with side dishes of choice. Although this option is no longer on the menu all you need to do is ask. As a result our group has always had an excellent, well-priced meal of exactly what we want to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very WelcomingLemonsqueezedbirdDined on 9/28/2014Celebrated a birthday with a special someone & it was great! The staff smiled and were very welcoming. The jazz band actually gave us a shout out during their amazing performance. The soloist Laura was awesome soloist! At first I said "where are the drums"? but no need! Laura scatted, played the trumpet, and drums with her lips. The food came out on time and we made new friends in the crowd. Although there was no dance floor we stood up and danced to our requested song "At last" & everyone enjoyed themselves. (Yes, the band and Laura, Paul, and Kevin took our request!!! :-). It was also the manager's birthday & we all celebrated and sang happy birthday to my man with a complimentary birthday dessert on the house!We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Friendly findUpperEastsiderVIPDined on 9/26/2014A lovely low-key Washington Square gem. Food was fantastic, and the service warm and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abssezgoDined on 9/21/2014been here before - always come away satisfied: $20.00 Sunday brunch was just right! A really good omelet served with nice greens and good home fries (to me that's what makes a good breakfast/brunch!), good breads and a very good blood mary and coffee: not a bad buy! location on Washington Square perfect for wandering around the villages (east and west)...introduced a friend and she thoroughly enjoyed it..then on to a student production at Skirball Hall...a very good Sunday in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We found North Square to be very enjoyable. The service and food was very good -but the place needs a little updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Square FlowerDonneVIPDined on 9/17/2014Everything was GREAT including all the beautiful fresh flowers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Service was awful which can make the experience awful even if the food is goodSpecial Features: