North Gate Grill
1001 16th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
North Gate Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northgategrill.com/
- Phone: (202) 737-1333
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for BREAKFAST: 6:30am - 11:00am, and LUNCH: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
Statler Lounge: 3:00pm - 12:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miguel Santiago
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: please inquire about menus, customized receptions, private dining room availability with Randy Piebes, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by dialing 202-639-5765.
- Private Party Facilities: Our expansive private dining room is available for private functions accommodating up to 150 people for sit down or reception functions. Please email your inquires to Randy Piebes at email@example.com or by calling 202-639-5765.
- Private Party Contact: Randy Piebes 2026395765x
- Cross Street: 16th and K Street NW
- Public Transit: Metro Stations two blocks from North Gate Grill:
McPherson Square (Blue & Orange Lines)
Farragut North (Red Line)
Farragut West (Blue & Orange Lines)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking (fee) is offered at the entrance of Capital Hilton. North Gate Grill guest's rate is $11.00 for 2 hours.
A word from North Gate Grill
Located steps away from the north gate of the White House, North Gate Grill at Capital Hilton pays homage to all-American cuisine with home-style dishes boasting farm-fresh ingredients and vibrant flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North Gate Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Great for small business meetings.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014I got a lot accomplished; the staff kills you with service, a rarity in DC; the chef accommodated dish changes; and even the coffee is good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for business lunchProclivityDined on 10/7/2014great food and especially great coffee. chef accommodated a menu change. client was quite pleased with the experience.
- Good good and quietamarciaVIPDined on 9/15/2014I go here fairly often when I want to have a good lunch and be able to hear my lunch companions. I almost always sit in the back room which is also attractive and light filled and lunch is good and I can converse with my lunch companion (s). I will be doing so again today.Special Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the North Gate Grill reviews archive.
- Birthday dinner not that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014The evening began with the sound level for the music increasing dramatically on several occasions -- so loud we could not hear ourselves. We had to ask the manager several times to turn it down. He always complied quickly but it was disruptive nonetheless. One of our guests ordered a drink that the bar tried to remake with a different ingredient because they were missing one. Awful. Should not have tried to pass it off. Service was so so. The food was the best part but some of the "small" plates would better be described as "minuscule" plates. Would not go back.
- Top ServiceSnorkeyVIPDined on 4/23/2014From the moment my large office group arrived, we were made to feel like they were waiting just for us. We were seated in front of the large windows, which I previously requested. Immediately, the servers began to ask for our drink orders and promptly returned with them. The food orders were handled the same way. Yet, we were not made to feel rushed. Before going to North Gate Grill, I had never been in a large group at a restaurant where every individual diner was made to feel like they were important. The food was very good, and overall the service was top notch. Thank you for making our office's celebration perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In HotelJamesDined on 4/3/2014This place was in the hotel and the wait staff were on their toes because the place was really busy. However, they were helping each other which helped customers not to wait too long for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Place for LunchConejoDined on 3/8/2014Last minute reservation for ten (adults and children), but there was only one other couple seated when we arrived Sat late PM. It was nice to have all their attention, so service was good. The dining area is bathed in light with a green-house-like wall. The radiation made me uncomfortable after a while. It is an attractive room and there's adequate spacing among the tables. The kids got fries with their meals and they were visually appealing in the little metal baskets, and quite tasty. They only had two chardonnays by the glass, and the Votre Sante was not my style; the Acacia was fine. Sandwiches, salads, and mains: we got it all and everyone cleared their plates. Well done.
- Best Place to Have a Business LunchBonVivantDined on 2/25/2014Of all the restaurant choices I have around the 15th to 17th & K St area, I pick this one for working lunches -- where I need to hear and be heard by dining companions. The ambiance is bright, contemporary and pleasant, with large windows looking out onto 16th Street. The service is excellent. These servers are true professionals -- most of them have been with this restaurant and its predecessor for many years. It's a hotel restaurant that doesn't feel like one. I travel a lot and know what most hotel restaurants are like. Plus the food here is above average.Special Features:
- Great for Business LuncheslunchloverDined on 1/29/2014Northgate is great for lunches with clients and business partners. The room is bright and pleasant. The noise level is perfect for conversation. The waitstaff are professional and discreet. I've had a number of items off the lunch menu and I've never been disappointed. Nice presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch at 16th and KGratefulVIPDined on 1/26/2014We had a pleasant experience. The food was good with the basics found at many other hotel brunch spots: fruit, omelette station, muffins, etc. Interesting option = baked french toast, which was like a bread pudding. We had an extra-friendly server. For $22, a decent deal downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely won't be going backOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/14/2014So, it started off with the host....he looked extremely overwhelmed when we came in. He said we had a reservation for 4 even though I clearly reserved a table for five. He was wandering around trying to figure out what to do with us and then brought us to a table that wasn't ready. When we sat down we were given three menus to share among the five of us. We were never given two more menus. Then it took forever before our server came to take drink order. One of us ordered sparkling water and was brought tap water. Our server also assumed our appetizer order was our entree order. We were at this restaurant entirely too long for a business lunch. The crab soup was cold. The rest of the food was fine, but we will not be going back.
- It is all where you sitamarciaVIPDined on 12/13/2013If you are looking for a quiet lunch, as to be seated in the back room. It is the same attractive place but it Is much less used and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cobb saladHungryInVADined on 10/23/2013This is a fine place for lunch. Nothing special, but no complaints. Service was lovely. Good atmosphere for a business lunch. And the Cobb salad was dee- lish!
- Nice Spot for a client lunchMarg13Dined on 10/22/2013Large open area with grand windows. Good list of choices on the menu. The food is good and the presentation is attractive. Tables are not too close making a business discussion comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialDCVisitorDined on 10/5/2013Nice breakfast buffet. Good food, nothing really outstanding that I haven't had in other bruch buffets in a hotel.Special Features:
- Hotel Restaurant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2013Needed a quiet spot for a business lunch near the Hilton, where two of our party were attending a conference. We had planned on dining outside of the hotel, but were swayed by good reviews and inclement weather. Turned out to be a great choice--good food, attentive service, and reasonable prices. The dining room was spacious, had an open feel with the large windows along 16th St., and is one of those rare restaurants where you can carry on a conversation without competing with the ambient noise level. Recommended!Special Features:
- Got the job doneruddermanVIPDined on 5/19/2013Went here with a group of 7, needing a relatively quick lunch, not too heavy or fancy, and somewhat near L or K streets. North Gate Grille, a hotel restaurant, got the job done. Food was good, very nice salad entrees, a few good appetizers - hummus was quite good, calamari good enough (not greasy or soggy, but nothing special); the service was exceptionally fast, unobtrusive, but attentive. Well done for a quick lunch with a good sized group - something for everyone.Special Features:
- If this restaurant didn'tMarginallyUsefulVIPDined on 5/12/2013If this restaurant didn't suffer from the stigma of being in a hotel (the Capital Hilton, to be precise), it would be packed all the time - a sunny, handsome room with big windows, tables far apart, a diverse general American menu, good service, a solid kitchen and reasonable prices (given the K Street location, etc) all combine to make this one of my favorite lunch places. They have a great Sunday brunch too. I really have nothing negative to say. OK, maybe the food isn't inspired, at the cutting edge of cuisine, but that's not why you go here. If you want a reliable, good tasting, pleasant meal, this is a great downtown option.
- Hotel Restaurant. good location.SteveVIPDined on 4/26/2013Hotel Restaurant. good location. Decent lunch. Relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- This is a very nice spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2013This is a very nice spot for lunch, located in the Capital Hilton. Menu is basic but with some excellent choices. Staff is extremely attentive.
- Great lunch meeting spot,JoanieboVIPDined on 1/29/2013Great lunch meeting spot, and I'd try it for dinner. Room between tables, so you don't feel like others are listening to your conversation. Yummy bread! I had organic salmon salad -- the salmon just about melted in my mouth. My group of four loved it. We'll be back!Special Features:
- This is nothing more thanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/10/2013This is nothing more than a hotel restaurant. The food was unremarkable, and outrageously overpriced for what it was. The service was rushed but polite. If I had to kill time in a hotel, this would be a fine place to do it, but I wouldn't go again for the food or the experience.
- Great location but not muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/9/2013Great location but not much to the restaurant. Important for a good hotel to have a restaurant and the Hilton is making the effort. The Mushroom Bisque was exceptional. Menu was slight but adequate..
- Nice courses and very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012Nice courses and very tasty food. After a little overflooding of my glass of wine, the waiter recompleted it, and has not been charged. Good location when visiting White House area.Special Features:
- Downtown's Pleasant SurpriseBonVivantDined on 12/20/2012The North Gate Grill replaced Twig's about a year ago when ownership of the Capitol Hilton changed. It is rarely crowded when I've been there. The new decor is very pleasing..open & bright. The menu is simple with good salads and sandwiches. Most of the servers have been there for many years and are both pleasant and efficient. Someone from management nearly always stops by the table to ask about customer satisfaction. I take some clients here and have staff luncheons. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot! Very convenientlydineoutDined on 11/29/2012Great lunch spot! Very conveniently located with good food, and a bright decor with natural light.Special Features:
- We arrived a couple of minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/29/2012We arrived a couple of minutes early and were immediately met by the hostess who made us feel totally at home. Within seconds our server had water and our drink order with a very good overview of the lunch specials. A must have is the artichoke and goat cheese ravioli decadent but just right for lunch.Special Features:
- A real surprise -- an excellentMarginallyUsefulVIPDined on 11/28/2012A real surprise -- an excellent restaurant in a hotel lobby! You would expect the restaurant in a big downtown convention hotel like the Hilton to cater to a captive audience of tourists and conventioneers - but the North Gate Grill is a handsome, bright room with a solid kitchen that makes a perfect venue for a business or social lunch. Service was professional and unobtrusive, the salads and lunch entrees are inventively displayed so they don't look boring , and the overall quality is excellent. I don't understand why this place isn't more crowded; it's only a tiny bit more expensive than other nearby options and in return you get a pleasant room with tables far apart.Special Features:
- It's a beautiful restaurant,cathrobVIPDined on 11/10/2012It's a beautiful restaurant, comfortable because it's airy and spacious. We were there for lunch with a group, and the restaurant was practically empty -- but the food and service were great. My salmon tacos were a little odd -- too much onion, tiny crispy taco shells, messy to eat -- but everything else looked good.Special Features:
- Locavores Rejoice!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Took a chance holding a lunch meeting at an unfamiliar venue, but North Gate exceeded all expectations! Service was attentive without being disruptive and our meals were great!Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2012Food and service were excellent. Server did not hover but seemed to know just when to stop by. I rated very good rather than excellent because it is rather pricey for lunch. I knew that ahead of time and chose it because I was celebrating a friend's birthday. Our entrees, one glass of wine each, and each had dessert and coffee came to $96 plus tip. No way can I do that very often on a secretary's salary, but this was a rare treat and we thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Went for lunch. Had beenOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2012Went for lunch. Had been there prior to re-do and definitely like the changes - the dining area is brighter and seems more welcoming. Staff is very attentive. We ordered the crab cake sandwich and pulled pork sandwich. Both were delicious and came with either a side salad, fries, or homemade potato chips and 1/2 of a huge delicious pickle. Prices are standard for your DC hotel restaurants but portions were generous. We could converse in a normal tone and didn't feel rushed. On the other hand, we didn't have to wait long for the food to come out or to get the bill - sometimes a drawback when you've only got an hour for lunch. Very pleasant atmosphere and service. Highly recommend and will go back.Special Features:
- The bread brought to the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2012The bread brought to the table was moldy and the calamari was unimpressive and not well prepared. Service was good.
- Still has an "unfinished"OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/10/2012Still has an "unfinished" feeling in the decor and the website is way out of date.Special Features:
- Good food and service. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2011Good food and service. It is in the Hilton Hotel, so I was skeptical about going at first.Special Features:
- A friend and I went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/8/2011A friend and I went there for lunch. Twigs is a favorite of my mother's and her friends. So we decided to try it out. We were very impressed. I will definitely be going again!Special Features:
- Great staff. Good food.GeriPsyDined on 4/5/2011I hold breakfast meetings at Twigs on a fairly regular basis. The food and service are always good. The breakfast buffet is wonderful. Nice atmosphere and quiet enough to hold conversations. The staff is great. This past time, I was supposed to meeting with four people and at the last minute, 15 showed up. The staff handled the change perfectly.Special Features:
- good breakfastWestEnderVIPDined on 2/18/2011I had a business meeting over breakfast at Twigs during a recent conference. The selections and food are pretty standard for a nice hotel restaurant breakfast. The servers seem so thinly staffed that they're struggling to keep up with a really, really busy morning.
- The food was, despite a newouttolunchVIPDined on 12/14/2010The food was, despite a new menu, good but nothing extraordinary. Not disappointed, though, because it was what I had expected. This is a wonderful place for a business lunch even though it was a bit noisy this time. We had waiters hovering at the beginning but, at the end, we couldn't find anyone.Special Features:
- It was quiet, which is allJakeVIPDined on 9/27/2010It was quiet, which is all that I can say good about it!!!!! Food was ok (nothing special) and VERY OVER-PRICED for what you get!!!!!! including $5.00 for ok (not especially good) coffee Service was over-attentive!