North End Grill
104 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
North End Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northendgrillnyc.com/
- Phone: (646) 747-1600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm; Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Korsh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from North End Grill
Equipped with a distinctive open kitchen, which features custom-designed wood-burning grills and two charcoal-fired Josper Ovens, North End Grill showcases a market-driven menu replete with fresh, grilled cuisine, complimented by an inspiring wine and cocktail list, and a bar with over 100 scotches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North End Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (57)good for groups (49)notable wine list (47)great for lunch (45)vibrant bar scene (37)great for brunch (33)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (25)romantic (23)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- LBIZZYYDined on 9/15/2014The location and the ambiance are great. The tables are spaced so that you are not elbow to elbow with other diners which afford you to have a private conversation. The only issue I had with the restaurant was that the dishes we had ordered were very high in sodium content. I am a salt-aholic, so for me to find the dishes "salty" meant it was almost not eatable. I will give the restaurant one more try since all establishments have an off night--we were there on a Monday night. I must add that when we mentioned our discontent to our wait staff, the restaurant did not charge for the dish to which we were grateful.Special Features:
- Amazing Brunch!MSBklynDined on 9/14/2014Really had an amazing brunch at North End Grill on Sunday, 9/14/14. Beautiful oysters, delectable wood grilled sausage, show-stopping crab & spinach benedict. There was hardly a crumb left on our plates. Terrific service as well- attentive, but not hovering. The restaurant is also spacious, you don’t feel crowded in which makes the experience even better. I’m already planning my next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014we liked it - did not love it. nice to have it downtown. Better the 2nd time.Special Features:
- Fantastic experience!PamdinesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Don't miss the grilled octopus! Wine server made recommendations, then patiently let us taste several before the final selection. Wait staff friendly, helpful, prompt, and patient with us as we ordered one course at a time. We will return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersMisscapecodDined on 9/8/2014I am still dreaming of well fleet oysters I had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!! We loved it!foodmattersVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was a particularly wonderful experience for our party of four all of whom eat around a lot!! The food was truly sensational, the atmosphere was pitch perfect with lovely design elements (you felt like you were someplace cool and special but at the same time there was a down to earth solidity to the space)our waiter was extraordinarily knowledgeable, generous and fun (and we don't often notice that). We simply loved the evening!! If you are nearby do go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbKulinaryKidVIPDined on 9/6/2014one of the best meals we have has in NYC or anywhere. unique style of cooking on a wood burning grill and a coal burning grill provides great atmosphere and flavor The steak and the lamb chops were beyond perfection Chef Alex on the wood grill was amazing. for an appetizer we had the grilled octopus (done I believe on the charcoal grill) and it was delightful - we cut it up with just our forks it was so tender and tasty. The service was also some of the best we've had, thank you Vivian. A great find in an unusual part of town. Highly Recommend!Special Features:
- Disappointing steaksteaklover2Dined on 9/3/2014Manager, North End Grill We ate at the restaurant the night before last, and while I didn’t say anything to the waiter, I now feel that I should. The service was fine. The steak, however, was disappointing. Steak should have a nice, charred crust on the outside—this didn’t have it, was mushy. Perhaps the problem is your oven. You could argue that you’re not a steak restaurant, and can’t have the proper grill—but I have had the strip steak at the Gotham Bar and Grill and it was just superb, far superior. The steak was also overly salted—when I got home, I was drinking water far into the night. I was also disappointed in the beef tongue appetizer— its subtle flavor, almost non-existent, was just overwhelmed by the pickled condiment.Special Features:
- 2essenceVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our only complaint was that they brought all the food out at once, appetizers and entrees. The food was, as always, excellent and imaginative. We do wish they'd change their menu a little more often.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for brunch, which was fine. Brunch hardly tested the new chef who replaced the founding chef. But my wife and I thought the food was very good and, happily, the price point was lower than on our last visit. North End Grill has a bit of a generic feel to it, but it's thoroughly professional and satisfying.
- A dinner to rememberjuliemc1102VIPDined on 8/26/2014Our reservation was honored promptly, and we got a table that was comfortable without being too noisy. The food was A++. We started with burrata with grilled bread, good to the last crumb. The wine list was notable for having interesting choices from Long Island. Our main courses were excellent. We ordered a side of corn that was spectacular. It tasted entirely of corm but better. Peach crisp for dessert was another standout. Although we live a meaningful cab ride away from the North End Grill, we are already talking about our next visit. Service was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ThissistaraDined on 8/22/2014Recommended by a coworker back in California. The food was awesome! The waiter had recommendations for the table, all which were also amazing. The place was pretty dead at night, but since it was such an amazing experience, we all assumed it must be a "go-to" for lunch time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome lunchJonpenn7Dined on 8/22/2014Everything was ideal. Service, food, ambiance- it has gotten better over timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Danny MeyerfoodiefirstDined on 8/20/2014enjoyable, attentive but not overbearing...wonderful food.... nice ambiance... highly recommend...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harzmDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful food, excellent service. no hassle. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Good food, Servers seem like they pool and our server was terrible. My wife wanted to tip the guy that was pouring the water.Special Features:
- Yummy, will return again!ImaniVIPDined on 8/13/20145 stars in all categories, great menu with an array of unique selections. awesome place for a business lunch, recommend making reservations ahead of time because it gets crowded arounf 1pm. looking forward to returning again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014This was one of our many visits to North End Grill. With the change in chef, the food quality has remained excellent. The sommelier Mia picked a fabulous wine to pair with our meal. The rest of the service was just adequate. I was accustomed to excellent service with a lot of individual attention and this time it all fell kinda flat. I didn't see that many familiar faces, so perhaps there has been a big shift in staffing or they were having an off day. I can say the experience was a bit disappointing in comparison to my previous visits and gives me pause about returning with so many other options in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Very Good around the CornerGermanyatNYDined on 8/9/2014This is Battery City, enjoy a daily changing menue wich is absolutly perfect for flame/Wood griled Food, we liked it very much for our dinner around the Corner :-))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Love the food love the staff love the service This is our go to spot every week And we are treated like family here Love everything danny meyers touchesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience every time2BudsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wish they had burrata every time, but we make do when they don't. This place has you from the bread. The service is very friendly and experienced, so it makes having such wonderful food a very relaxing and enjoyable event. Had friends from out of town join us there for dinner recently and they thought it was divine, thanking us profusely for introducing them to this as they would have not discovered on their own.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Waiter seemed fairly bored and uninterested in providing a decent level of service- something you expect at this type of restaurant. We were seated outside- 2 members of our party not completely under the awning and it started to rain. Waiter just shrugged when we asked for another table. Really? Luckily the rain stopped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealLennyDined on 8/3/2014I chose the North End Grill for easy access for my cousins from West Orange, NJ. The restaurant was chosen randomly but i saw they had a great fish selection. The food and service far surpassed my expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Unbelievable food and great ambiance! The staff was incredible and really recommend the scallops! They really took great care in our service and made sure our celebration was unforgettable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a lunch date!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014I booked this for a much-needed date with my wife. It was excellent! We shared the little neck clam pizza & pancetta/egg/potato pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service = lacking, food=not specialJS504Dined on 7/31/2014The food was fine but definitely not as good as the prices would have dictated. The best good item was the duck fat fries... Those were amazing. The lamb chops were ok but were too thin for my liking. Our waitress was terrible. She seemed to very unhappy about her job. She brought us out food am there weren't any problems, it was just her attitude. Not friendly at all...just going through the motions. The dinner definitely wasn't worth the price. I would not recommend it unless you went for the beer and fries.Special Features:
- NYEatsDined on 7/31/2014Never fails to deliver excellent service and food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014I reserved a table for 4 executives; one of which was the CEO visiting from Europe. When I called to confirm the reservation I had made 2 weeks prior through opentable, the "reservationist" advised that there was no such reservation. She said they could accommodate the party at 12:30pm. I told her that a member of the party was vegan and she said that was no problem at all. I also requested a table to the side, as secluded as possible and she said no problem again. When the party returned to the office, I found out that there was NOTHING the vegan could eat and the restaurant didn't even offer to make something. Further, the table they were sat at was right next to the kitchen in a virtual walkway! I will NEVER frequent this place.
- GREAT Danny Meyer Customer Service.kentVIPDined on 7/29/2014We were lucky enough to get a table outside on a wonderful breezy evening and really enjoyed a family style dinner with a lot of apps, sides, and a couple of entrees for 5 diners. Everything was delicious, especially the crabmeat appetizer, the creamy burrata with grilled ciabatta, & the grilled and seasoned brussel sprouts & the cauliflower. LOVED the desserts also !! The staff was VERY accommodating and we really appreciate their "ownership in the restaurant " to make sure we have a wonderful dinner !! We will be back soon ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another winner from Danny MeyerReeks1Dined on 7/26/2014Honestly, I've never been this far south in Manhattan! It's quiet down there. Took a sunset sail from Battery Park and was looking for a higher-end restaurant for our group for afterwards. Google and voila!: North End Grill. The menu looked impressive and did not disappoint once we were there. Started with the shisito peppers. Delicious, but they are delicious everyone. Sea salt, olive oil and an open flame. No biggie. The potato, egg and pancetta pizza was amazing, with the richness of the yolks balancing out the salt-sprinkled pizza crust. For my entree, the whole branzino, which is my favorite fish. Here, as it should be, simply prepared and delicious. Perfect. This place is worth the trip downtown.Special Features:
- nonieDined on 7/24/2014Everything was very good, especially the chichen liver.Special Features:
- The following 818 reviews are from the North End Grill reviews archive.
- Great food-unremarkable placejustokDined on 7/22/2014Food was good, interesting menu. decor same as so many other places need some color. Black with white marble is so yesterday and not well done. Wait staff nice but they have too many tables. The closeness of tables make for a noisy dining experience.Special Features:
- Never coming backDissatisfied83Dined on 7/20/2014I picked this place because of the great reviews. As I entered wih a friend to let them know we made rsvp's the hostess looked at us and walked the other way. A man came and sat us outside. We waited about 10 mins to get our drink & waited half hour for our food order. The main hostess walked over and apologized for the delay & insinuated we would be comped drinks on the house. Never happened! Will never come back here & food was greasy & flavorless.Special Features:
- Terrific food, excellent servicejoieDined on 7/18/2014Strong kitchen, good-looking restaurant and attentive, easy service. Went for a social dinner, but would be equally good for business. Good wine list too. Will look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2essenceVIPDined on 7/12/2014Everything was perfect. The way they prepare octopus makes them legendary!Special Features:
- Gave it a second trySheritaDined on 7/6/2014I had been to the North Ave grill in the past and did not have the best of experiences, I am so happy that I decided to come back. Our service was really outstanding. Kim was the best and went out of her way to make our visit to the restaurant a well received one. We came from brunch, my mother had the waffle which was a little sweet for my taste but she really enjoyed it. I had the house cured smoked salmon and crab salad, both of which were delicious. The server even brought us the beautiful cheesecake that wasn't even on the menu. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Amazing evening!ElisaSDined on 7/5/2014From the moment we walked into this beautiful, spacious restaurant and were led to our table, we knew we were in for a fantastic evening. The waitstaff were attentive without being intrusive, the special drinks (blueberry mohito and rose sangria) were unusual - refreshing twists on the usual drinks. The charred pepper side dish, snacks, for instance the smoked sable with beets and sour cream and the appetizer which 4 of is shared (the pizza with pancetta, eggs and potato) were exquisite. We all had the seasonal shellfish bake, iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing and blueberry cobbler with vanilla icecream. Every bite of each thing we ordered was perfection! We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- great dinnerrobertVIPDined on 7/4/2014Menu was creative. Food was fantastic. Service was very good. Will definitely be back. Overall a ten on a scale of one to ten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014the clam bake was sensational we all loved it If it was easier to get to I would be there more often But I will always settle for The Modern and of course USC [my all time favorite]Special Features:
- Great Place!MaryTDined on 7/3/2014I was having my largest client for lunch while he was here in NY. He was staying downtown so I wanted to find a place close to his location. Since I am not familiar with the area I researched online. I was impressed by the website and the reviews I read. I decided to give it a try, with fingers crossed. The first thing I said when I walked in the door was "oh this place IS nice!" The food was fresh and amazingly tasty. The service was impeccable. Some places in the city can be a little snooty, but not here. Everyone was super friendly and made us feel very welcomed. I will be back! My client also loved it and sent me a follow-up text thanking me for taking him to such a great place. I think he will also be back next time he is in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.