North End Grill
104 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
North End Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northendgrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 6467471600x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm; Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Korsh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from North End Grill
Equipped with a distinctive open kitchen, which features custom-designed wood-burning grills and two charcoal-fired Josper Ovens, North End Grill showcases a market-driven menu replete with fresh, grilled cuisine, complimented by an inspiring wine and cocktail list, and a bar with over 100 scotches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North End Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (54)great for lunch (47)notable wine list (45)good for groups (42)vibrant bar scene (37)great for brunch (35)great for outdoor dining (32)romantic (28)hot spot (20)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (10)late-night find (7)Show More
- Another Danny Meyer hitcontangoDined on 10/17/2014Have been here twice. Once for lunch, and last Friday evening to celebrate our son's birthday and anniversary. Both experiences were excellent. The menu is innovative and everything we ate was delicious. Bar menu is innovative as well. Service was as excellent as all of Mr. Meyers establishments are. The decor is modern yet very warm and inviting. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 10/17/2014With a recent new chef and a new menu, North End Grill's food is consistently good and sometimes outstanding. Not every dish is transformative, but a number produce satisfied grins. Service is welcoming and friendly as you'd expect in a Danny Meyer restaurant. It's a pity only that prices have been creeping up in the last year or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!RandyL999VIPDined on 10/16/2014Went to the 9/11 museum and needed a place to eat afterwards. What good fortune to find a Danny Meyer restaurant within walking distance! Server Robin and wine director Mia made sure we had a great experience. Food was wonderful, great wine list ($68 for a half bottle of Krug is absurdly great!). Short rib beef burger is a don't miss along with the duck fat fries. Superb pastry chef as well. Next time in NYC we'll make sure to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Duck LegChuckVIPDined on 10/16/2014The oysters weren't great; they smelled too fishy and didn't seem fresh but the duck leg was excellent. The eggs are a hit, too. They could add more gluten free menu items and better accommodate those with allergies.Special Features:
- Good Food, even better Wiskey BarVideoEaterDined on 10/14/2014Food was fantastic with just the right amount of edge, but be sure to cap it with Wiskey from there very large selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Grill Great AgainJJSNYCDined on 10/12/2014Food is always good and changes with the season. When they have it, the tasting menu is a great selection.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/11/2014This was our third time there, and each time has been fantastic.Special Features:
- DisappointedYogafriendVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have been great fans of the North End Grill since it opened but we were disappointed recently. The service had lost its edge, .e.g., we had to ask for more bread twice. The cooked carrots on one dish were cold. The duck with cherry sauce had no cherry sauce. My fish was excellent but the standards were not what they had been.Special Features:
- High expectationsDaveberDined on 10/10/2014Food was very good but not special. Expected a Danny Meyer restaurant to be special. It was not. Ambience was quite nice. Service should have been better at these prices.Special Features:
- Great service, outstanding foodJaniceDined on 10/9/2014The service was wonderful. Everyone was extremely attentive. The menu was diverse.Special Features:
- Too much fatLN54Dined on 10/6/2014The meal was generally good. But it was coocked and served with far to much fat! A lot of noise in the room.Special Features:
- Great until the endsiryumalotVIPDined on 10/5/2014Everything was lovely but once our main courses arrived our server literally disappeared. We waited and waited and waited (with three children five and under) for dessert and then waited and waited again to pay. It was odd, that said the food was so good it almost didn't matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014North End Grill has remained a delicious favorite of ours ever since we moved to Battery Park. The Service and food is wonderful and because of its laid back vibe (albeit the modern chic decor) it has truly become a once a week favorite for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining Experiencejwn59Dined on 10/4/2014Came to North End Grill on the recommendation of a co-worker. Was a little anxious, as the dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday and I didn't want to dissappoint, but no chance of that. It was a great experience. Food was excellent. We had the clam pizza as an amazing starter and it just got better from there. The wait and bar staff were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. They took some time to talk to us about our experince and seemed determined to make sure we had the best time! We will definitely be going back next time we are in NYC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, service could be betterDannyDined on 10/1/2014I've eaten at Danny Meyer's other restaurants, like Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Café, and they have the service down to perfection. So maybe it was my high expectations, but the service at this location was just fair. Our waitress was a little inattentive, and it wasn't all that crowded.Special Features:
- Would definitely returnNickDined on 9/25/2014I dined with a friend who was staying at the Conrad next door. The dining room atmosphere was modern, relaxing, and conducive to conversation. The food was very good. The grilled octopus salad appetizer was memorable as it was pretty and tasty, topped off with delicious white anchovies. Our entrees of grilled lamb chops and milk poached halibut were excellent as well. For dessert, one of us wanted something light, not on the menu, and the waiter was able to delivered a delicately arranged fruit plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014Food was DELICIOUS. Ordered the loup de mer (which I had ordered several days before and enjoyed so much that I "had" to have it again). Great appetizers and raw bar. Lovely wine list. TOO good bread and desserts.Special Features:
- They can be quick when you need itCons1VIPDined on 9/22/2014Good place and we told them we have limited time and the turnaround was perfect and the food good. A+ for serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for lunchChrisDined on 9/22/2014We had a limited time for lunch and the waiter asked what our schedule was before we brought it up. The food was excellent! I had the daily special fish dish as did two of my colleagues. Everyone enjoyed the meal. Because one of our party had the tight schedule, we had to ask to hold off on dessert and then couldn't get the waiter's attention after she left, but ultimately everything went very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Grill Gets Even BetterPimientaVIPDined on 9/21/2014The continuing improvements to the menu and service at North End Grill make it one of the city's best -- and most underrated -- restaurants. Since chef Eric Korsh arrived in the spring, we have seen it go from good-but-uneven to consistently outstanding. I can happily say that extends to brunch, where the menu is as varied and interesting as any in town. The crab-spinach benedict we had was terrific, as were the eggs with guanciale and doughnut holes with smokey syrup. The leadership and staff here are what you expect at a Danny Meyer restaurant; we find them very congenial, knowledgeable and accommodating. We live in the neighborhood and the guests we take there always say: You're lucky to have this restaurant so close by. Agreed!Special Features:
- A gem of a place!4forksDined on 9/19/2014Loved it all, the food, the service, and the special attention to detail, we ordered a chocolate cake to split for dessert and our waiter added a special after dinner drink, just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LBIZZYYDined on 9/15/2014The location and the ambiance are great. The tables are spaced so that you are not elbow to elbow with other diners which afford you to have a private conversation. The only issue I had with the restaurant was that the dishes we had ordered were very high in sodium content. I am a salt-aholic, so for me to find the dishes "salty" meant it was almost not eatable. I will give the restaurant one more try since all establishments have an off night--we were there on a Monday night. I must add that when we mentioned our discontent to our wait staff, the restaurant did not charge for the dish to which we were grateful.Special Features:
- Amazing Brunch!MSBklynDined on 9/14/2014Really had an amazing brunch at North End Grill on Sunday, 9/14/14. Beautiful oysters, delectable wood grilled sausage, show-stopping crab & spinach benedict. There was hardly a crumb left on our plates. Terrific service as well- attentive, but not hovering. The restaurant is also spacious, you don’t feel crowded in which makes the experience even better. I’m already planning my next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014we liked it - did not love it. nice to have it downtown. Better the 2nd time.Special Features:
- Fantastic experience!PamdinesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Don't miss the grilled octopus! Wine server made recommendations, then patiently let us taste several before the final selection. Wait staff friendly, helpful, prompt, and patient with us as we ordered one course at a time. We will return if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersMisscapecodDined on 9/8/2014I am still dreaming of well fleet oysters I had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!! We loved it!foodmattersVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was a particularly wonderful experience for our party of four all of whom eat around a lot!! The food was truly sensational, the atmosphere was pitch perfect with lovely design elements (you felt like you were someplace cool and special but at the same time there was a down to earth solidity to the space)our waiter was extraordinarily knowledgeable, generous and fun (and we don't often notice that). We simply loved the evening!! If you are nearby do go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbKulinaryKidVIPDined on 9/6/2014one of the best meals we have has in NYC or anywhere. unique style of cooking on a wood burning grill and a coal burning grill provides great atmosphere and flavor The steak and the lamb chops were beyond perfection Chef Alex on the wood grill was amazing. for an appetizer we had the grilled octopus (done I believe on the charcoal grill) and it was delightful - we cut it up with just our forks it was so tender and tasty. The service was also some of the best we've had, thank you Vivian. A great find in an unusual part of town. Highly Recommend!Special Features:
- Disappointing steaksteaklover2Dined on 9/3/2014Manager, North End Grill We ate at the restaurant the night before last, and while I didn’t say anything to the waiter, I now feel that I should. The service was fine. The steak, however, was disappointing. Steak should have a nice, charred crust on the outside—this didn’t have it, was mushy. Perhaps the problem is your oven. You could argue that you’re not a steak restaurant, and can’t have the proper grill—but I have had the strip steak at the Gotham Bar and Grill and it was just superb, far superior. The steak was also overly salted—when I got home, I was drinking water far into the night. I was also disappointed in the beef tongue appetizer— its subtle flavor, almost non-existent, was just overwhelmed by the pickled condiment.Special Features:
- 2essenceVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our only complaint was that they brought all the food out at once, appetizers and entrees. The food was, as always, excellent and imaginative. We do wish they'd change their menu a little more often.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for brunch, which was fine. Brunch hardly tested the new chef who replaced the founding chef. But my wife and I thought the food was very good and, happily, the price point was lower than on our last visit. North End Grill has a bit of a generic feel to it, but it's thoroughly professional and satisfying.
- A dinner to rememberjuliemc1102VIPDined on 8/26/2014Our reservation was honored promptly, and we got a table that was comfortable without being too noisy. The food was A++. We started with burrata with grilled bread, good to the last crumb. The wine list was notable for having interesting choices from Long Island. Our main courses were excellent. We ordered a side of corn that was spectacular. It tasted entirely of corm but better. Peach crisp for dessert was another standout. Although we live a meaningful cab ride away from the North End Grill, we are already talking about our next visit. Service was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ThissistaraDined on 8/22/2014Recommended by a coworker back in California. The food was awesome! The waiter had recommendations for the table, all which were also amazing. The place was pretty dead at night, but since it was such an amazing experience, we all assumed it must be a "go-to" for lunch time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome lunchJonpenn7Dined on 8/22/2014Everything was ideal. Service, food, ambiance- it has gotten better over timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Danny MeyerfoodiefirstDined on 8/20/2014enjoyable, attentive but not overbearing...wonderful food.... nice ambiance... highly recommend...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harzmDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful food, excellent service. no hassle. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Good food, Servers seem like they pool and our server was terrible. My wife wanted to tip the guy that was pouring the water.Special Features:
- Yummy, will return again!ImaniVIPDined on 8/13/20145 stars in all categories, great menu with an array of unique selections. awesome place for a business lunch, recommend making reservations ahead of time because it gets crowded arounf 1pm. looking forward to returning again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014This was one of our many visits to North End Grill. With the change in chef, the food quality has remained excellent. The sommelier Mia picked a fabulous wine to pair with our meal. The rest of the service was just adequate. I was accustomed to excellent service with a lot of individual attention and this time it all fell kinda flat. I didn't see that many familiar faces, so perhaps there has been a big shift in staffing or they were having an off day. I can say the experience was a bit disappointing in comparison to my previous visits and gives me pause about returning with so many other options in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Very Good around the CornerGermanyatNYDined on 8/9/2014This is Battery City, enjoy a daily changing menue wich is absolutly perfect for flame/Wood griled Food, we liked it very much for our dinner around the Corner :-))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.