2537 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON M4P 2H9Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
ContinentalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.north44restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4164874897x1
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Mark McEwan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from North 44
Named after the city's latitude, North 44 is known to Toronto and International diners for its unique dining experience and elegant surroundings. The restaurant possesses a sophisticated, yet relaxed, atmosphere with contemporary decor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
North 44 - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Uptown ›
North 44 reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (42)romantic (37)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (13)hot spot (7)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- For the price, disappointingnnll90Dined on 10/16/2014North 44: a venerable Toronto institution. At least that's what we thought. While the service was good and at least the place was quiet, for the price there are many places with better for. At $24 an appetizer, it should be a work of art. But instead or ocotillos was to salty and dry. Same with the lobster. The steaks were good but not incredible. Given the breadth of fine dining options in Toronto I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Bonne tableChristopheDined on 10/11/2014Bonne table à Toronto. Manque simplement un peu de lumière...Special Features:
- worst food, worst chef ..dessapointedDined on 9/29/2014We celebrated 2 birthdays this on Monday evening at 7:30..it was my idea to make the reservation at North44 as I been there before and was quiet satisfied..I was embarrassed and didn't enjoy at all..the food was terrible and friends I invited couldn't believe the price when the bill arrived..my guests couldn't eat the Dover Sole which cost $55 pp..even the salads were not salads and we left without getting dessert..The Chef they hired for that Monday was not the same Chef as last time I was there with my family and the portions were exceptionally small..my friends will never return they said and as a matter of fact neither would I..
- Special EveningkingbirdDined on 9/27/2014As this is our anniversary place and it was in celebration of our 70th anniversary, we followed tradition. As usual it was superb. It is rare that a restaurant after repeated visits does not disappoint. North 44 is almost the only that does not. Year after year they continue to produce fine food and excellent service. Given that they were notified it was our 70th anniversary, special attention including champagne were given us to toast each other. My traditional dish is black cod. I never order it anywhere else as I know I will be disappointed. Once having tasted it at North 44, every other place would be a letdown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy but a little priceybirthdayfoodDined on 9/25/2014Great place for a special occasion. The main dishes goo not have been any better. The portions and quality was outstanding and the atmosphere was upscale. It was not cheap - over $266 for 3 with no appetizers but for a special occasion why not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in TorontoJayVeeDined on 9/23/2014On two recent visits to North 44 I had the "tuna" main course (it was so good the first time, I had to have it again!). It's the best tuna I've ever been served, including Canada, USA and Europe. We were warmly welcomed by Elaine upon arrival, and our server was outstanding. I highly recommend North 44.Special Features:
- BrianDined on 9/20/2014I had been to North 44 twice before, but had stayed away for several years. In both previous visits I was not impressed, poor service, slow food delivery and cold. Reluctantly I agreed to visit North 44 again and this time my experience was quite the opposite, good service, good food, really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningSleepyNewfieDined on 9/19/2014Found this place online through other review sites. Food was delicious. I had the onion soup for an appetizer and the crispy chicken for my main. Absolutely delicious. Our server was extremely polite and very attentive without being intrusive. Pace of meal service was appropriate. Extensive wine list with a wonderful variety of red and white wines. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the GTA.Special Features:
- VegasRegularVIPDined on 9/17/20142 noisy parties at back of restaurant. Hostess kind enough to realize and offered alternative table prior to seating us. Service from our server was hurried and she seemed overwhelmed. Waited too long for dessert menu and thus didn't end up ordering dessert, asked for bill instead. Food was excellent as usual.
- Always a good mealFoodie4everDined on 9/5/2014Been going to this restaurant for years now and always have a great meal. Love the relaxed atmosphere also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!foodie775Dined on 8/29/2014Food was great, service outstanding and atmosphere lovely! We actually got to the restaurant about 40 minutes earlier than our reservation and we were seated immediately. Very accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!EklipseDined on 8/26/2014The service at North 44 is nothing short of amazing. They take the time to make you feel like royalty. The food keeps us coming back! Delicious, consistent and healthy. Go to north 44 you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couple dinner2dinersDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and service The bread is to die for. Love the shrimp tempura. Steak was perfect. Would come back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WindsorFoodiesDined on 8/8/2014Drove in from Windsor to dine at North 44. Well worth the drive. Will do it again. Staff was SO attentive and food was amazing. We're cold soup fans so we really enjoyed to Pea Soup with Crème Fraiche and Avocado. The Heirloom salad was divine and both our Entrees were amazing. Unfortunately no room for dessert. Chef Sasha is every bit as adorable as what The Heat portrays him to be. We ate lunch at McEwan's Grocery and it was also great. Can't wait to come back to Toronto. Next time we'll also try Fabrica.Special Features:
- Terrific dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014We hadn't been to No. 44 for in a few years but after Friday's dinner we will be back very soon. The food was outstanding especially the banana wrapped halibut, and espresso creme brulee for dessert. The wait staff was friendly, polite and efficient. We're quite lucky to have this restaurant in the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerpersianbeautyDined on 7/22/2014Went to North 44 for my boyfriend's birthday dinner on Tuesday July 22, the food was incredible and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular DisappointmentsaadkDined on 7/19/2014For being hailed as one of the city's finest establishments and continually rated in the top tier of restaurants - North 44 sourly disappoints. Now I can't say for certain if this was simply the abysmal Summerlicious menu alone or whether that menu showcases what the rest of the menu is like any other day of the year. Starters were average, the wax bean salad was rather boring. The 6oz steak was incredibly bland and tasteless accompanied by equally dull asparagus on the side. Dessert was uninspired, lazy and again a let down to an overall subpar dining experience. From my taste of North 44 (a visit I was very much looking forward to) there is nothing there that is even worth a penny of the drive out of the downtown core.
- Another great dining experience!RisaDined on 7/19/2014We had a great banquet seating and had a good view of the kitchen as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerliciousbuddypile3Dined on 7/19/2014We were delighted with our dinner. We had been told Summerlicious portions were smaller than normal but had no complaints hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerLAVENDERDined on 7/19/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at North 44. Making a reservation online was easy and very convenient. I have a food allergy. The server was very knowledgeable and I was able to order dinner with no worries about my allergy. I had the Arctic Char and it was seasoned perfectly and very moist. The dessert was the only part of the dinner that was disappointing. It was very good but I expect a "WOW" factor with dessert and I didn't get it. I had the strawberry shortcake parfait, next time I'll try something different. However, the food was delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bread before a mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014When I asked more bread because the unique smell and taste of your bread were fascinating, it wasn't provided free of charge. I felt it was so wierd because most of restaurants ususally provide bread free of charge. I'm wondering if you would charge it because of summerlicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was just...OKCalioDined on 7/18/2014Everything was pretty average about this place...Service was ok, ambiance was ok, food was ok...Nothing really stands out.Special Features:
- UnderwelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Maybe it was just the summerlicious menu, but I was not impressed at all. I was so looking forward to dinner, but the portion size was small, food was mediocre. Service and ambience was good. I guess I would have to go on a regular night to see if there is any difference. But, for now, I would not recommend this restaurant again.Special Features:
- come back for food not servicetillyoakleyDined on 7/16/2014The food was pretty good the starter breed tartare and entree Artic cod was grilled beautifully. The dessert was lacklustre , a banana wrapped in philo deep fried was only lukewarm when it arrived at the table in stead of hot from the fryer. However the coconut ice cream served with it was very delicious and full of flavor. The service however. We were seated immediately and given bread with butter but took the server around five minutes more to serve us water and another five to ask if we wanted anything else to drink. We arrived around 7:10 pm on a Wednesday but our apps were not served until 8 pm so you know the approx timeline. We left around 9:30 a very long dinner good thing we had our own conversations to keep going.Special Features:
- bellamuffinDined on 7/15/2014Went for Summerlicious. Fantastic food, very tasty, good portion for Summerlicious. I had the dumplings, artic char and banana dessert; all above average. I will go back for sure.Special Features:
- 4 new customers!mrtjtDined on 7/15/2014Booked a table for Summerlicious 2014. Everyone REALLY enjoyed their 3 course meal. We will definably be back. Regular menu priced at the high end, but definitely worth it. They found 4 new customers! We had to ask for the promotional menu. but overall a great experience. Staff are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, Just okayfirstimerDined on 7/11/2014The food tasted amazing, the dessert was sub par as the cake was really hard. The waitress did not have much expression and never confirmed whether she heard you or not when you ordered. She just stares at you until I repeat my order several times. I was expecting this to be on par with Canoe, but I would say Canoe is still better.Special Features:
- AwesomeDudleyDined on 7/11/2014Great location, great food and service that was outstanding.Special Features:
- Good service and ambiance;Food: mehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The service and ambiance were both good but I really expected a lot more of the food. It was ok, but nothing memorable and the dessert was disappointing.
- Back to blandTOfodieDined on 7/10/2014I had not been to North 44 for some years. It has a strong reputation in the neighbourhood. We went for summerlicious and the restaurant was packed. I had dumplings to start, which were fine. I had steak as my main that was overcooked in some spots and undercooked in others. It certainly was't the delicious medium as described by our waitress. The vegetables were bland. My husband asked for medium too, except his steak was mostly rare and also unevenly cooked. The banana strudel dessert was okay. The summerlicious menu suggested a bottle of Shiraz that tasted foul and I'm surprised North 44 would offer it, even if it was summerlicious. My colleagues have stopped entertaining clients at North 44 and I can understand why.Special Features:
- Superior without excessMissCarrDined on 7/9/2014Knowledgeable, efficient and non intrusive staff put a seamless dining experience together. Comfortable, upright atmosphere with well balanced accoustics made it easy to converse at our table. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I hopedAverageJillDined on 7/8/2014We just moved into the neighbourhood and heard a lot about North 44. We had the summerlicious menu and thought that this would be a great way of trying the restaurant out. Unfortunately, my appetizers were burnt, my main lacked any seasoning and the dessert while ok was forgettable. I had the chinese dumplings, the arctic char with lentils and the banana strudel (for $45). I know that the prix fixe for summerlicious is "cheaper" than a regular meal; however, as an introduction to North 44, it was pretty bland. I don't think that I'd bother to go back. I've had lots of other summerlicious meals at other restaurants - many were really good and I've gone back to the restaurants on a regular basis - I won't be going back to North 44.Special Features:
- Best of all the Summerlicious findsPaddingtonDined on 7/5/2014Best Summerlicious meal to date,will be returning to try the regular menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Smallish portions, but didn't feel underfed, as they were appropriate for the dish (heavier dish - smaller portion). Perfect presentation, perfect temperature, perfect seasoning. Winelist is outstanding. If you want quality and don't care about the decor this places is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summerlicious was a bustSpagsDined on 7/4/2014My fiancee and I arrived at 7:15 for our summerlicious reservation. We were seated right away and offered drinks, which came a few minutes later. However, our server didn't take our order until about 7:35. We received our appetizers around 7:45 and they were very delicious. We got the chicken dumplings. We did not receive our main entrees until 8:50. When they arrived, they clearly looked rushed, since we asked several times what was taking so long. We got the steak, which was rather tough, and the chicken, which had cartilage and was not very good. The potatoes that came with the steak were hard. The desserts came around 9:10 and were actually very tasty. Ultimately, the experience was a disappointment.
- LuvtoeatluvtoeatDined on 7/4/2014This was my first visit to North 44, and enjoy the meal and excellent service. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 493 reviews are from the North 44 reviews archive.
- poor service and poor foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014Business dinner. Order two glasses of champagne to start. They arrive after the appetizer. We sat watching the appetizer and empty champagne glasses. Had to ask waitress to fill the glasses. Ordered steak as my main - medium rare. It arrives nearly burnt on the outside and rare inside. I asked for it to be slightly better cooked. It comes back tasting exactly like a well-done charred steak - reminded me of my British parents cooking. The red wine was warm. Asked for it to be chilled. They completely forgot to bring it back. The whole evening felt like a lot of work for me. McEwen needs to fire some people and go back to his original methods of training. I heard him speak once at an event on this topic. Go back to your original plan!!!!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014My only complaint is that the half bottle of red wine that I ordered was brought to the table too warm for my taste. I asked that it be placed in an ice bucket for a few minutes, and then it was fine. Just a bit surprised that in a restaurant like North 44, the red wine was not served at the correct temperature.Special Features:
- Such a wonderful placeNintendoChalmersDined on 6/13/2014As a first time attendee, North 44 exceeded my expectations is every way. The service was great, the servers were very knowledgable about the menu and quite friendly. The appetizers and dinner were one of te most delicious meals I've had in my life. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very good, but bring $$$$Joe3Dined on 6/7/2014Upstairs was closed, so they called us beforehand because we had requested an upstairs table that we like; nice touch. Downstairs we couldn't get a quiet table at first, "because it was so busy". It worked out in the end. We then had to wait 10+ minutes for a bottle of water to arrive, during which also no drink orders were taken. Hmmm. After that, 5 stars. Good oysters, delicious trout and duck breast with foie gras. The wines by the glass offer variety and depth, but at a price. The bison my wife had was out-of-this-world. $ 400+ for two is not cheap, though...One gripe that the restaurant cannot do anything about: as with Zucca on Y&Eg, it is popular with men who take their escort girls out for dinner. And yes, it can be that obvious...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.