Norfolk Chop House
2314 Colonial Ave
Norfolk, VA 23517Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Norfolk Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.norfolkchophouse.com/
- Phone: 7576271190
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Dinner Cruise
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Norfolk Chop House can accommodate private parties and events. Depending on your specific event & number of people, we can reserve the entire building or a private dining room for you and your guests. Our upstairs private dining room can seat 10 - 48 guests, downstairs private dining up to 12 guests, entire restaurant approximately 100. We would love to accommodate you for corporate events, holiday celebrations, change of command parties, birthdays and weddings; we will provide you with exceptional service, food and value, making your event everything you would like it to be.
- Private Party Contact: Gregory Anderson 7574357363
- Special Events: October 24
A word from Norfolk Chop House
We saw the need for a classic steakhouse with an atmosphere that blends the history of Norfolk with the contemporary tastes of today. After years of planning and preparation, we are pleased to introduce Norfolk Chop House. Our number one goal is to provide quality food at an affordable price in an atmosphere that is warm and welcoming. Serving only Certified Angus Beef steaks and local farm products including veal, lamb and pork, our menu also includes fresh, local seafood and unique offerings flown in daily from around the country. Carefully prepared in our state-of-the-art kitchen, we only serve the freshest vegetables available and offer an extensive wine list and local beers on tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Norfolk Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (4)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- perfect dinnerWorldeaterDined on 6/15/2014Four of us took two hours for the entire meal. It was great honestly because we were talking and having a blast. The food is all good. She crab and rockafellar were great. NY strip tender and juicey 2 filets perfect. And the lamb shank was really perfectly cooked. Well be back. Nice decor. Good service. Full bar. Private dining I think is possible for us rock stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been better3teensDined on 6/8/2014Usually have a good meal there, but the salmon dish was not up to par. Tasteless, and bordering on rare, the waitress did not offer to take it off the bill. Disappointed after spending $200 for our group of 6. Others in my group had the Prime Rib special, which they seemed to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Didnt really like the food that i ordered. I ordered Flounder fillet and i wanted it broiled. When i got my plate, it seems that the plate is good for 2 people and the fish was not broiled. Very bland in taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerNorfolkdinerDined on 6/5/2014Food was excellent, well presented. Staff friendly. Wine list somewhat limited. Prices moderately high. Ambiance would be improved by tablecloths.Special Features:
- The following 325 reviews are from the Norfolk Chop House reviews archive.
- Third time and last timeNCBLUMVIPDined on 5/2/2014I have been to the Norfolk Chop House three times in the past year. The steaks are great. The service is just not at the level it should be for the price point. They take your order and deliver your food but that's it. When one persons first course is salad and the others is soup, they should be delivered at the same time. You should check back and ask how everything is. Is your steak cooked the way you like it? Etc... I dine out a lot and no good service and great service and this is neither good nor great. It's a shame because the food is excellent. As a side note the valet is very personable and goes out of his way to ask if you had a great experience.
- All around great.RmaliDined on 5/2/2014The food was great as was the service. The prices were not too steep.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseMustTryDined on 4/29/2014The Norfolk Chop House is beautiful inside. The food was absolutely delicious and every staff member was courteous and attentive. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- eattoliveDined on 4/27/2014We have been to he Chop House and have enjoyed it for its spaciousness; good food, quiet ambience and service. Food on Sunday April 27 was a little below what we have experienced in the past. Rolls were smaller and no offer for more. Meat was a bit grissley. Janet JanataSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful steak weird atmosphereBL0WFISHDined on 4/26/2014I decided to treat husband & take him for one of his favorite things: steak. Website & reviews give zero insight to attire recommended it varies so much. We felt horribly under dressed in semi-casual clothes as everyone inside was in suit jackets. Decor set the tone weirdly, giving a Latin/western bistro vibe. We had our toddler with us & the look on the other patrons faces was almost enough to make me leave, but my child behaves well so we pressed on. Service was wonderful, our waitress attentive without being annoying. Steaks were cooked perfect & delicious. Fries for kids meal were amazing! Wedge salad was disappointing. Lobster tail, baked potato & steak fries over cooked. Undecided on a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensive for what it was!FoodmadDined on 4/4/2014Totally empty when we arrived apart from one other couple. It was a Friday evening and although it was early at 5.30pm it was totally dead. Food was good but not amazing. Cesar salad was very average but steaks were good. I think though overall even though the staff were super polite and friendly the total lack of clientele and not having any ambience as a result I would not go back. It was my husbands birthday and I had told the staff at the time of booking but it amounted to not a lot. I would have expected SOMETHING even a chocolate at the end to make it special.
- Best Veal Chop EVER!JulesDined on 3/16/2014While everyone in our party had an excellent meal, I think my veal chop was the superior entree at the table. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful local gemDarkheeDined on 3/14/2014We stopped in for a nice quite dinner for two. The ambience was very nice. There was 80's music playing softly in the background. Our Server was fantastic. The food was amazing and reasonably priced. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedtryingnewthngsDined on 3/1/2014Went here on date night with the hubby. Everything was just ok. Nothing to write home about. Nice b ambiance. Probably won't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadMariDined on 3/1/2014Could not recommend this restaurant. Salad taken from me within 5 mins. Could not eat steak, even though it was returned since it was under cooked. Witress went missing for some 20 mins. I left without eating and with a bill over $100. Went out to a empty parking lot to have the valet tell us he was busy and we could get our own car. Left the restaurant angry and hungry and had to pay money for this experience. Whats wrong with this picture?
- Good food/waiter was insultingkevincunninghamDined on 2/25/2014I have been to the Chop House 3 times and on every occasion the food was some of the best to be found in Norfolk. Unfortunately, on this last occasion that the service was so bad it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. We will definitely return but I will be selective about the server. The waiter was down right insulting to us as he took the order. He acted as if we were inconveniencing him by forcing him to ask us how we wanted our steak prepared, the choice of sides , etc.His form of asking was "Same questions as before". In addition, he seemed to want to get involved in our dinner conversation, which I felt was highly inappropriate.In summary One of the best restaurants in Norfolk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food for eachKidsdocVIPDined on 2/23/2014outstanding food for each of the 3 members in our groupSpecial Features:
- Amazing!!!OnvacationVIPDined on 2/22/2014We were celebrating my daughters birthday and they made it all so special! Everyone is so nice, food was excellent, as always! This is a place to go every month!Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodAnthonyDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I dined here for our 6th Wedding Anniversary and I must say that the food was exquisite, service was well above par, and the drinks were great. Did I mention the food was awesome? I had the surf and turf with the crab cake, the fried oyster appetizer, and a salad. The details were given due attention as evidenced by the amount of dressing that went on the salad-it was deliberate and perfect. My wife enjoyed her ribeye as did I my filet and crab cake. If not for the children crying and whining in the background, the night would have been absolutely perfect. The food was excellent, the waiter polite and attentive, the ambiance-brilliant. They should not allow children into a place like this, but still I would come back regardless.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Food was good. Service was wonderful. Crabcakes were the best ever. Comprises of lump, jumbo lump and absolutely no filler!! Filet was really good. Didn't need any steak sauce. Salad was ok. The crab dip wasn't great. It seemed like it had to many onions in it. Needed more crab. Didn't eat dessert but the menu sounded really good. The only major downfall was the gouda escalloped potatoes were room temperature. If heated to a higher temp. They would have been good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!foodman17Dined on 2/15/2014Food was great! Service was even better, valet was also great, but do expect to spend a decent amount at the end of the night. I went in expecting that, and had no care for price of what i planned to eat/ drink, but if you are worried about price, you might want to choose elsewhere.Special Features:
- Nicely doneAmostcarterDined on 2/15/2014We were looking for a decent steak place in Norfolk. I was impressed by the valet who took our car and gave us a pager to notify the valet when we were ready to leave, so the car would not only be ready when we left, it was well on its way to warming up, which was great on a frigid night. There are no tablecloths on the tables, which is not a deal breaker, but I believe they promote themselves as a fancier restaurant. The salad was average, the onion rings were frozen and the steak was also only average and was delivered to the table warm, but not hot. As the price was a bit higher than chains like Outback, I would say this place is good, but not great by a long shot. At least it is not a chain. I still would not hesitate to go back.
- Great Experience!!!GandHDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I ate here the day after Valentine's Day. I made reservations on-line and made a request to be seated in a quiet romantic spot. I stopped in the day before and dropped off roses and a card. They placed us in an excellent location and had the flowers and card waiting at our table when we arrived. It was our first time at the restaurant so I wasn't sure what to expect. I wouldn't tell my wife where we were going so it could be a surprise(she hates surprises!). She loved this surprise!! The food was delicious, the ambiance was perfect, and the service was attentive. Apparently the staff felt we waited to long for our main entree so they gave us a free dessert. We didn't even ask for it! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE NORFOLK CHOP HOUSE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayBrockDined on 2/14/2014It was everything I needed it to be for a first date. Very happy about my experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines day before deploymentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014WONDERFUL meal, service was excellent, everything was great. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, especiallyJendrewDined on 2/14/2014Great experience, especially for Valentine's Day. Very elegant and sophisticated atmosphere. Glad we didn't get seated in the middle of the floor because it seemed a little cramped. It would've been nice to have a bit of bread at some point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful First time visitor.JPJRDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I tried this restaurant prior to a trip to the VSO Pops show and were pleasantly surprised the food was excellent. They were short staffed the night we went so the wait was a little longer than we would have liked but overall an excellent experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotAngoDined on 2/1/2014This was a great dinning experience however, it was a great place if you are on a diet because nothing is really seasoned. I like the fact that they do group parties, but the noise level can be to much. They should try to section off groups. The group that way there when we ate was very loud and the laughter and loud talk echoed threw the place. The service though was excellent.Special Features:
- We loved the Chop House!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014This was a truly wonderful dining experience and look forward to our next visit. Yum, the New York Strip was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2014We were there to celebrate a birthday. There was an approaching snow storm but we decided to go anyway. We were the only ones there. The staff was super nice and made the evening special! The food was awesome, as usual! Great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only issue we had is thatTulaycVIPDined on 1/18/2014The only issue we had is that we were seated by the door, and it was quite cold. The draft was cold. We asked to move tables and the hostess seemed annoyed with the move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014We had been wanting to try the Norfolk Chop Shop but always put it off. We finally made reservations to eat out and it met and exceeded our expectations. It was very quaint. The tables were not too close so that if it were packed, you were not on top of your neighboring patrons. The food was fabulous and we did not feel rushed to eat and leave. It was an awesome experience and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnercrissyDined on 1/11/2014The food was great esp the crab mac n cheese, everyone in my party was satisfied with their food.I will Def go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!JohnKDined on 1/10/2014From the valet parking, to our waiter "Tucker"; from cocktails to dessert; the Norfolk Chop House was simply fantastic! Superb menu…great bar…this is a very special place for a very special occasion! Fantastic addition to Norfolk's fine dining scene. Thanks for a great celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Execellent!!!ttlnDined on 1/10/2014I have dined at Chop House on a number of occasions and have never left dissatisfied. Every appetizer, entree or drink I have tried has been marvelous. Well worth every dime spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Norfolk Chop House has a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2014Norfolk Chop House has a great atmosphere. The service was fantastic and the food was terrific. At $25-40 per plate, the cost is very affordable. I would highly recommend them for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013I had a reservation for 8 on NYE made several weeks in advance. The table was ready at out arrival and we were greeted promptly. The service, while pleasant enough, was extremely slow from drink delivery to order taking and food delivery. For the cost of the meal (nearly $200 per couple with wine) the quality of the meat was mediocre and four of the meals were overcooked and two had to be sent back. It took an additional 20 minutes to get those meals back and so our dining was off on timing. While we did receive an apology, nothing else was offered to compensate for the inconvenience and quality. My friends filet had to be recooked as it was overdone and the replacement she received was fatty. Would not recommend based on this experience.
- Great PlaceHubbaDined on 12/31/2013This is a great place to eat with a group, friends or your wife/husband. Food was great and the atmosphere is outstanding. Service was excellent. Everyone must attend.Special Features:
- New Years EveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013The food was good, just okay. Got the petite steak and it was indeed petite, in fact when it arrived at the table I said, "wow, that's small..." The baked potato was done right, nothing to write home about. The butter spread and the rolls were the best part of the dinner, really good! I got the Creme' Brulee and Champagne and Chombord for dessert, that was very special! This is a nice place, it was our second time there, but at 160.00 we both felt that was too pricey and it probably will be our last time.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner evening on New Year'sCumulusDined on 12/31/2013Mom-in-law was visiting so we took her to the Chophouse for dinner on New Year's Eve. We all had a lovely time. We asked our server if it would be okay to not rush through dinner and she was very accommodating. It was a relaxing atmosphere, we didn't feel rushed at all. It's a chophouse so it's not overly formal but good for a romantic dinner, business dinner, or family. The valet parking is one of the best organized I've experienced. We've dined here handful of times and enjoyed it each time. We also attended with a large group business dinner party on one occasion and that was well serviced. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than LessMrALIDined on 12/27/2013This was a dinner to celebrate the holidays so I wanted to try some place new to us. We were greeted by a valet that parked our car for us and gave us a remote pager so when we were ready to leave after dinner, we could just page him and he would have our car waiting for us. The dinning room wasn't crowded at all. We arrived before our reservation time and they seated us right away. The steak I ordered was cooked to perfection. I ordered a side of asparagus but was disappointed that it wasn't enough for two like most other chop houses. The service was excellent. I'd definitely recommend this to my colleagues.Special Features: