Nora Restaurant And Bar
1928 Greenville Ave.
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
Nora Restaurant And Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.noradallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 828-0095
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan
- Executive Chef: Matt Pikar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Matt Pikar 2148280095
- Entertainment: Follow our Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up to date information regarding live music or special events!
A word from Nora Restaurant And Bar
Our food is not just a meal, it’s a taste of Afghan culture! Our menu offers Afghan novelties such as Mantoo, Qabili Palao and Sabzi Chalao, as well as an array of grilled kabobs and menu items from other cuisines such as Dolma and Hummus. Each plate is made with exotic spices and served fresh. Stop in and see what we are all about and discover a cuisine you never knew you were craving!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nora Restaurant And Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (16)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (15)special occasion (15)scenic view (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- unexpected gemTerryDined on 11/15/2014Nora has some of the types of food you can expect from a Greek/ Mediterranean restaurant then you look close and a number of dishes are new discoveries. You might have trouble pronouncing them but they are delicious. Good description of what is in each dish helps the decision process. Wine bottles are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Tastes So so otherwiseCriticalfoodloverDined on 11/12/2014The food was so wonderful and service good enough that it was easier to dismiss weakness in just about every other aspect of running a restaurant. When we asked about dessert and ordered coffee at lunch we were told the kitchen staff had left. Even though it seemed we were only table dining at lunch, this seemed odd. However, the waiter graciously asked if we wanted instant coffee the only thing he could find in kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fantastic!LisaMfromChiDined on 11/7/2014I was so pleased with the food, service, and atmosphere at Nora! Everything was perfect. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nora's is very niceStraightshooterDined on 11/7/2014Friday night at Nora's was very nice. Arrived at 7pm and only a few tables were occupied. By 8pm, the place was full and had a very nice vibe. The food was very good, as always. One of the nice aspects of dining at Nora's is that the background music and overall noise level is subdued enough to allow you to have a conversation during dinner without the need for practically shouting in order to be heard. The wine list has been upgraded, but some of the standards that are also sold be the glass are good selections for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014We had a delicious meal with friends at Nora. The restaurant is beautiful and the food was delicious. Best of all, we could actually hear each other! We had great service and look forward to going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nora is always amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014Food is amazing!!!!! Such fancy spins on tradional afghan dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive dinner with friends!Cperez214Dined on 10/24/2014Great dinner with friends! The food is excellent but the service is just okay. Our waiter came back twice to ask what we had ordered and then we had to ask him twice for things.Special Features:
- Authentic Afghan CuisinestueyDined on 10/18/2014The closing of the Afghan Grill in far North Dallas caused us to try Nora's, due to same ownership affiliation. We were impressed with the food, decor and ambiance. We will be back and will recommend it to our "foodie" friendsSpecial Features:
- Nora RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014We are so lucky to have Nora in our neighborhood. Absolutely fantastic food (try the Kadu and the Aushak). Beautiful interior. Great for us to take out-of-town guests or for a quiet dinner for 2 or 4.Special Features:
- We love Nora!cbarrowDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I frequent this restaurant as often as we can. It is right around the corner from us and the food is FANTASTIC. Sometimes they schedule special events that we have learned about from their emails, such as a guest guitarist or tango dancing group. We always have such a lovely time, and the food is ALWAYS delectable. Chef Matt remembers us and is so kind to stop by and visit us when we are in. This is our favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my experience first time at NoraKceeVIPDined on 9/26/2014we have heard great things about the great food at Nora's...especially from our daughter. We were there last weekend to give it a try the waiter was wonderful great service. the shrimp appetizer was good. the bottle of wine we ordered was excellent. The martini was great too.i ordered the lamb kebab medium rare came almost well done my wife ordered the same well done came medium.So that was sooo disappointing. will we come back again definitely a NO.
- Uniquely Incredible FlavorsGoodLifeDined on 8/30/2014Nora's food is amazingly delicious. The flavors are so unique it makes eating here very interesting. You will want to go back to try something new again and again. The cocktails are also very tasty. Weekly cocktail specials are a treat and a must try. The rooftop bar has great views and is so much fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nora's: A beautiful place!DorisWDined on 8/28/2014We found the Afghah food at Nora's Restaurant and Bar delightful! Owner Matt Pikar greeted us at the door and treated us just like royalty. Their Mule was the best, most refreshing drink ever, on a hot evening. Best one I've ever tasted, in fact! We selected the sampler plate, and oh my, the aushak (tiny pasta sheets filled with leeks and topped with meat sauce and mint-topped yogurt) was so dreamy-delicious that I know I'll be back for more at a later date! Spicing of the food was perfect: exotic-tasting but not "foreign" to the tongue. Rich chocolate brown and white decor: very sophisticated and upscale!Special Features:
- Just right for what I wantedpickyDined on 8/24/2014I thought it was great on service, my food was good, but my niece's looked a bit over cooked. Nice find on a very busy Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner With FriendsWindiDined on 8/23/2014We stepped out for dinner with some friends. The food was really good. I borrowed a recommendation from another review and had the Mandoo. It was tasty, but the bite of lamb I had from my husbands plate was even better. The hummus had an excellent flavor, but the serving was skimpy. The wine list is limited, but not bad. The service was slow and not very good. I was also disappointed there was no coffee. I had been looking forward to having a Turkish coffee after dinner. They were just out, no apologies, no explanation, no mad dash down the street to get more, just out. We may go back, but won't be making a special trip to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK good. Bad service.TophamBeauclerkDined on 8/23/2014Our second trip to Nora was a big disappointment. The food was OK, but our servet was awful. She whined when one of party ordered hot tea, saying that they weren't set up to serve hot tea in Dallas in the summer, that she'd have to boil water, and it would take long time. When he said he'd be fine with a wait, the server continued to argue with him. Later. She never offered a wine list. At the end of the meal, when she learned we wouldn't order dessert, she brought the check before our entrees were cleared. The service utterly lacked grace or warmth. If the food had been really good, it wouldn't have overcome the poor service, but it would've provided some counterbalance. Unfortunately, the food was merely competent, but not outstanding.
- You cannot go wrong at NoraDallascfiDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here several times and we've loved it. We've been here in small groups and just as a couple and it always works wonderfully. Any of the dumplings and anything with lamb is wonderful. For cocktails, have the Kabul mule.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014love the relaxed feel of this place. Staff was curteous and made accomodations for vegetarian options. Food ordered was sufficient and very filling. Service was well-timed and friendlySpecial Features:
- LOVE NorafoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is stellar. It's different and healthy. The kadu (roasted pumpkin with meat sauce and yogurt) is wonderful.the Qabili Palou (tasted lamb with rice and raisins) is now seething I crave. Nora is beautiful, has a warm and friendly atmosphere, crowd of varying ages. It's ALL GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDaniel216Dined on 7/26/2014Unique flavors but very approachable. Have not tried anything I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 89 reviews are from the Nora Restaurant And Bar reviews archive.
- Great foodbigchimpDined on 7/19/2014The food here isn't fancy, but it's pretty damn tasty. Glad we decided to stop in this past weekend...my only beef was with the service. Our waitress was very forgetful and took quite a while to do even the most mundane stuff like refill drinks. It wouldn't turn me away from coming back, though...this place is solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding staff /delicious food!unhappydinerDined on 7/16/2014I highly recommend Nora for fun atmosphere and great food. Great view/Loved the rooftop bar with fire pit that will be great in colder weather. The dishes were delicious... Had a party of 8 and everything we tried was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarjBurdDined on 7/16/2014This restaurant serves Afghan food. If you have vegetarians in your party, it's an excellent choice. Several good options - not just one as with most restaurants. The meat eaters also enjoyed it. The house Malbec was very good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SGNITROVIPDined on 7/11/2014Interesting choices. Everything we had was well prepared. Waiter was helpful with suggestions. Appetizers were excellent especially eggplant dish. Pumpkin with lamb entree was really unique. Definitely going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeBaileyRedHairDined on 7/5/2014We had the best time at Nora! The owner was so polite and extremely friendly along with everyone else that worked there. The food was amazing as well as the atmosphere and view. Will definitely be back ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Matt is great! So is bartender Jane. We love the food and service here. Best spot on lower Greenville avenue.Special Features:
- Stand out diningDiscerningdinerDined on 7/3/2014Nora stands out in a competitive Dallas restaurant scene. Spacious, contemporary, and convivial atmosphere. Inventive menu made better by knowledgeable server recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Afghan FoodDallasFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Lovely small restaurant on Lower Greenville Avenue. Clean sleek interior. Nice bar area, seems to be very popular. Afghan food is basically Mediterranean based. the sampler plate is Kadu (Sautéed pumpkin with garlic yogurt, meat sauce), Sambosa (Lightly fried pastries filled with ground beef, chick peas, green peas), Bulanee (Leek or potato filled pastries lightly fried, sprinkled cilantro, served with mint sauce) and Aushak (Steamed leek dumpling, topped with mint yogurt and meat sauce), all very good. Chicken kabobs were very flavorful served with delicious saffron rice and a yogurt dipping sauce. Nice cocktail list. Classic Mojito was very good. Great outdoor seating upstairs.Special Features:
- We won't be returning..SCannonVIPDined on 6/21/2014I don't understand all the positive reviews. The starter was cold and the pastry was hard enough to break your teeth on, just horrible. The main course was not much better it came out cold and when I told the waiter so, he replaced it with yet another cold dish. The cocktail I had to send back, to say it was gross was an understatement. It was extremely noisy. We couldn't order main dishes to eat on the rooftop patio which is what we requested in the reservation...disappointing. Sorry just not worth the money.
- try it - you'll like it!guymelchanDined on 6/20/2014all 4 of us in my group really enjoyed nora last night. the food was delicious and we had a capable (if not warm/friendly) waiter. we ordered 3 appetizers. two of them came with 4 pieces on the plate; one came with only 3 so we had to split one of those 3 in half so that we could all have a taste. main course of chicken stew was perfect; my hubby's meatball stew was great; our friends had the lamb shank and grilled chicken - both also loved theirs. the only problem was, when we went to the beautiful upstairs patio to get after dinner drinks, we waited for an inordinately long time without service and finally went to the bar to continue being ignored. the upstairs bar was significantly under-staffed. we left before we were ready.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014Loved this place! Too hot to sit on the rooftop bar - dinner was fantastic. Will be back to enjoy the views from on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatTXJamDined on 6/10/2014Appetizer spreads were great. The entrees and grill meats were ok, nothing special
- Best Afghanistan Cuisine!PAtoTXDined on 6/7/2014We have been fans of food from Afghanistan since living in Baltimore, and we had been hoping to find a restaurant in Dallas that compares to our favorite place back east. We found it! Nora is wonderful. Be sure to have one of their superior and creative cocktails...they are outstanding. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- Noise!mcpacVIPDined on 6/6/2014Restaurant so noisy you can't have a conversation with your table mates. Like a bad disco with food.Special Features:
- Good bar, bad service & foodDocCrocDined on 5/30/2014We decided to eat here for our anniversary after hearing good things about the restaurant. I'll start with the positive - The view from the rooftop on the other hand is gorgeous with plenty of comfortable seating, the bartenders are friendly and the drinks are wonderful. On the negative side - multiple times we struggled to get our waitress's attention and were blatantly ignored by her twice. The food she recommended was not good and seemed scarce for the price. An order of the shrimp came with a total of three shrimp. This restaurant was a complete let down and I will not be going back for the foodSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and upscale decor.AlanVIPDined on 4/27/2014Unfamiliar with Dallas, we started looking at Open Table for restaurants near the hotel that might offer something besides the usual choices & we stumbled on the reviews for Nora. After reading the recommendations, we decided to give it a try. When we first arrived we noticed how nice the staff was & that the décor/atmosphere was first class. Then the food came & we were blown away. The food was amazing! There is no doubt that the owner/chef (who stopped by the table twice to make sure everything was to our liking) takes pride not only in the food but also customer satisfaction. Needless to say we recommended Nora to several other people before we went home (including the concierge at our hotel).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Sunday brunchCharlesVIPDined on 4/20/2014We visited here during the Easter Sunday brunch special. The food tasted wonderful and had a decent amount of choices, specially for the price. We immediately planned to visit during their regular days and order food by-the-plate. My only comment was that if in the future, they plan to have more buffets, that they invest on heating elements to keep the food warmer.Special Features:
- Loved this placeGregCDined on 4/19/2014Personal service from entire staff in the restaurant was incredible. Mike (I think the Mgr) is top notch. The upstairs bar service was bit slow attending to the tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurpriseTophamBeauclerkDined on 4/11/2014I've driven by Nora for years, but never thought that Afghan food sounded appealing. I wish I'd been more open minded sooner. This is a delightful, attractive restaurant with very good food and service. I ordered one of the Afghan specialties -- Qabili Palao -- which is lamb with saffron rice and sautéed carrots and raisins. It was delicious. Highly recommended. (We ate inside, which is very attractive, but the rooftop area looks spectacular too.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in lower GreenvilleimonsecondVIPDined on 4/11/2014One can only visit so many TexMex and Steakhouse restaurants. So Nora's Afghanistan and related cuisine is a breath of fresh air. It's worth asking the waitstaff regarding the menu. Consider family style ordering for both appetizers and entrees. The Bandj Buranee, Garlic Shrimp, Mantoo and Cucumber Salad were excellent. Consider ordering the specials. We ordered the lamb special (Lamb "flank") which was fabulous. The eggplant entrée was also realy good. The signature dish we ordered, Qabil Palao (also lamb) was a little on the salty side. Check out the rooftop bar. So nice to have a place to wait without having to face busy/noisy Greenville street. I would definitely go back. Valet parking is $5.00 so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.