Nora Restaurant And Bar
1928 Greenville Ave.
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
Nora Restaurant And Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.noradallas.com/
- Phone: 2148280095
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan
- Executive Chef: Matt Pikar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Matt Pikar 2148280095
- Entertainment: Follow our Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up to date information regarding live music or special events!
A word from Nora Restaurant And Bar
Our food is not just a meal, it’s a taste of Afghan culture! Our menu offers Afghan novelties such as Mantoo, Qabili Palao and Sabzi Chalao, as well as an array of grilled kabobs and menu items from other cuisines such as Dolma and Hummus. Each plate is made with exotic spices and served fresh. Stop in and see what we are all about and discover a cuisine you never knew you were craving!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nora Restaurant And Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (12)good for groups (12)romantic (10)scenic view (9)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014love the relaxed feel of this place. Staff was curteous and made accomodations for vegetarian options. Food ordered was sufficient and very filling. Service was well-timed and friendlySpecial Features:
- LOVE NorafoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food is stellar. It's different and healthy. The kadu (roasted pumpkin with meat sauce and yogurt) is wonderful.the Qabili Palou (tasted lamb with rice and raisins) is now seething I crave. Nora is beautiful, has a warm and friendly atmosphere, crowd of varying ages. It's ALL GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDaniel216Dined on 7/26/2014Unique flavors but very approachable. Have not tried anything I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodbigchimpDined on 7/19/2014The food here isn't fancy, but it's pretty damn tasty. Glad we decided to stop in this past weekend...my only beef was with the service. Our waitress was very forgetful and took quite a while to do even the most mundane stuff like refill drinks. It wouldn't turn me away from coming back, though...this place is solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding staff /delicious food!unhappydinerDined on 7/16/2014I highly recommend Nora for fun atmosphere and great food. Great view/Loved the rooftop bar with fire pit that will be great in colder weather. The dishes were delicious... Had a party of 8 and everything we tried was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarjBurdDined on 7/16/2014This restaurant serves Afghan food. If you have vegetarians in your party, it's an excellent choice. Several good options - not just one as with most restaurants. The meat eaters also enjoyed it. The house Malbec was very good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SGNITROVIPDined on 7/11/2014Interesting choices. Everything we had was well prepared. Waiter was helpful with suggestions. Appetizers were excellent especially eggplant dish. Pumpkin with lamb entree was really unique. Definitely going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeBaileyRedHairDined on 7/5/2014We had the best time at Nora! The owner was so polite and extremely friendly along with everyone else that worked there. The food was amazing as well as the atmosphere and view. Will definitely be back ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Matt is great! So is bartender Jane. We love the food and service here. Best spot on lower Greenville avenue.Special Features:
- Stand out diningDiscerningdinerDined on 7/3/2014Nora stands out in a competitive Dallas restaurant scene. Spacious, contemporary, and convivial atmosphere. Inventive menu made better by knowledgeable server recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Afghan FoodDallasFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Lovely small restaurant on Lower Greenville Avenue. Clean sleek interior. Nice bar area, seems to be very popular. Afghan food is basically Mediterranean based. the sampler plate is Kadu (Sautéed pumpkin with garlic yogurt, meat sauce), Sambosa (Lightly fried pastries filled with ground beef, chick peas, green peas), Bulanee (Leek or potato filled pastries lightly fried, sprinkled cilantro, served with mint sauce) and Aushak (Steamed leek dumpling, topped with mint yogurt and meat sauce), all very good. Chicken kabobs were very flavorful served with delicious saffron rice and a yogurt dipping sauce. Nice cocktail list. Classic Mojito was very good. Great outdoor seating upstairs.Special Features:
- We won't be returning..SCannonVIPDined on 6/21/2014I don't understand all the positive reviews. The starter was cold and the pastry was hard enough to break your teeth on, just horrible. The main course was not much better it came out cold and when I told the waiter so, he replaced it with yet another cold dish. The cocktail I had to send back, to say it was gross was an understatement. It was extremely noisy. We couldn't order main dishes to eat on the rooftop patio which is what we requested in the reservation...disappointing. Sorry just not worth the money.
- try it - you'll like it!guymelchanDined on 6/20/2014all 4 of us in my group really enjoyed nora last night. the food was delicious and we had a capable (if not warm/friendly) waiter. we ordered 3 appetizers. two of them came with 4 pieces on the plate; one came with only 3 so we had to split one of those 3 in half so that we could all have a taste. main course of chicken stew was perfect; my hubby's meatball stew was great; our friends had the lamb shank and grilled chicken - both also loved theirs. the only problem was, when we went to the beautiful upstairs patio to get after dinner drinks, we waited for an inordinately long time without service and finally went to the bar to continue being ignored. the upstairs bar was significantly under-staffed. we left before we were ready.Special Features:
- Good, not greatTXJamDined on 6/10/2014Appetizer spreads were great. The entrees and grill meats were ok, nothing special
- Best Afghanistan Cuisine!PAtoTXDined on 6/7/2014We have been fans of food from Afghanistan since living in Baltimore, and we had been hoping to find a restaurant in Dallas that compares to our favorite place back east. We found it! Nora is wonderful. Be sure to have one of their superior and creative cocktails...they are outstanding. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- Noise!mcpacDined on 6/6/2014Restaurant so noisy you can't have a conversation with your table mates. Like a bad disco with food.Special Features:
- Good bar, bad service & foodDocCrocDined on 5/30/2014We decided to eat here for our anniversary after hearing good things about the restaurant. I'll start with the positive - The view from the rooftop on the other hand is gorgeous with plenty of comfortable seating, the bartenders are friendly and the drinks are wonderful. On the negative side - multiple times we struggled to get our waitress's attention and were blatantly ignored by her twice. The food she recommended was not good and seemed scarce for the price. An order of the shrimp came with a total of three shrimp. This restaurant was a complete let down and I will not be going back for the foodSpecial Features:
- Amazing food and upscale decor.AlanVIPDined on 4/27/2014Unfamiliar with Dallas, we started looking at Open Table for restaurants near the hotel that might offer something besides the usual choices & we stumbled on the reviews for Nora. After reading the recommendations, we decided to give it a try. When we first arrived we noticed how nice the staff was & that the décor/atmosphere was first class. Then the food came & we were blown away. The food was amazing! There is no doubt that the owner/chef (who stopped by the table twice to make sure everything was to our liking) takes pride not only in the food but also customer satisfaction. Needless to say we recommended Nora to several other people before we went home (including the concierge at our hotel).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Nora Restaurant And Bar reviews archive.
- Easter Sunday brunchCharlesDined on 4/20/2014We visited here during the Easter Sunday brunch special. The food tasted wonderful and had a decent amount of choices, specially for the price. We immediately planned to visit during their regular days and order food by-the-plate. My only comment was that if in the future, they plan to have more buffets, that they invest on heating elements to keep the food warmer.Special Features:
- Loved this placeGregCDined on 4/19/2014Personal service from entire staff in the restaurant was incredible. Mike (I think the Mgr) is top notch. The upstairs bar service was bit slow attending to the tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurpriseTophamBeauclerkDined on 4/11/2014I've driven by Nora for years, but never thought that Afghan food sounded appealing. I wish I'd been more open minded sooner. This is a delightful, attractive restaurant with very good food and service. I ordered one of the Afghan specialties -- Qabili Palao -- which is lamb with saffron rice and sautéed carrots and raisins. It was delicious. Highly recommended. (We ate inside, which is very attractive, but the rooftop area looks spectacular too.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in lower GreenvilleimonsecondVIPDined on 4/11/2014One can only visit so many TexMex and Steakhouse restaurants. So Nora's Afghanistan and related cuisine is a breath of fresh air. It's worth asking the waitstaff regarding the menu. Consider family style ordering for both appetizers and entrees. The Bandj Buranee, Garlic Shrimp, Mantoo and Cucumber Salad were excellent. Consider ordering the specials. We ordered the lamb special (Lamb "flank") which was fabulous. The eggplant entrée was also realy good. The signature dish we ordered, Qabil Palao (also lamb) was a little on the salty side. Check out the rooftop bar. So nice to have a place to wait without having to face busy/noisy Greenville street. I would definitely go back. Valet parking is $5.00 so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff was very accommodatingMikeVIPDined on 4/3/2014The staff was very accommodating as we started the evening outside and they were able to move quickly to a nice inside table when the weather turned bad. The food was excellent, including the lamb chops, lamb shank and vegetarian plate entrees. We shared a couple of appetizers and were equally happy with those. We will definitely be back. Just a heads up, the valet parking is $5.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food commentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014My food was served lukewarm which was a little disappointing. Thee other 3 friends at our table's food was also lukewarm. The flavor was wonderful and satisfying. We had a lovely server who offered to give our group of 4 redos but we opted not to have her do that. She was a terrific server who knew the menu well. We will be back and hope the food comes to us at the right temp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Neighborhood FindPaulaLVIPDined on 3/18/2014I love this place. I have been there 4 times now and each time, the food and service have been fantastic. It is such a beautiful place and the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Such a great addition!SWC1Dined on 3/15/2014Nora is a wonderful restaurant, now one of my favorites in Dallas! I got acquainted with Afghani cuisine in Baltimore and haven't found anything as good since finding Nora. The cocktails were fantastic and the food was delicious. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very much enjoyed the appetizersBoo66Dined on 3/7/2014very much enjoyed the appetizers - mantoo & badanjen buranee - and entree - qabili palao. Greek wine Yakut paired well. it was our 3rd visit ....of more to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseSarahDined on 2/28/2014Great food- surprisingly light and delicious. The location is not perfect but the ambiance is nevertheless wonderful and makes you feel special. The cocktail list is outstanding and pairs nicely with the food. What a refreshing treat- fabulous food, friendly educated waitstaff and not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are up for somethingGourmetGourmandVIPDined on 2/23/2014If you are up for something a little different, Nora is a good bet. The food is consistently good, and not run-of-the-mill. A good place to take visitors that are OK to try something new, but not up for anything too exotic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only reason I gave 3 stars...AznFoodiEDined on 2/21/2014Was because they charged $5 per car for valet. Normally I would not care about $10 (my wife and I drove separately since I came from work) but this annoyed me. Most restaurants in Dallas offer complimentary valet, especially the nice ones on Greenville. What makes Nora so special that it has to charge $5 per car? Also, I watched as the valet brought my car and he made a left turn onto Greenville and almost got hit by another car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Atmosphere!jlb1Dined on 2/16/2014Delicious Afghan food, great service, lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with inviting settingReneDined on 2/16/2014Group of seven had great service, and everyone was extremely pleased with their dishes. Hummus was incredible, as well as kabobs, and speciality items. The decor is pretty, food is great, and rooftop bar offers lots of seating with a view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outKevinHDined on 2/15/2014I decided to take my finance to this place due to all the great reviews. I'm glad I did. The food is amazing! At first, I didn't have a high expectation of Afghan food and to my surprise the food is some of the best I have in awhile. I would recommend getting the sampler and the lamb shank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my restaurant favorite list!AmandaDined on 2/15/2014I had heard through a friend to try Nora's and am so glad we did. My husband and I went on a Sat night- wee late for reservations but upon arrival the hostess was very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant reminded me of a few rest in Madrid as far as looks- nice but not stuffy. We picked a few things off the menu to try which were all so delicious esp the flaky potato thing- can't remember the name. They have a good cocktail/ wine/beer list. Service was friendly/ efficient even though it was busy. For 2 people with 3 appetizers/ 1 entree we split/ 1 beer / 1 cocktail/ 2 desserts to go was about $75. A little pricier than other similar restaurants but we will def be going back! Great place on Greenville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love our neighborhood spotCCandCDined on 2/14/2014The new Lowest Greenville is the place to be. Nora's came in early to establish fine dining as the standard for this newly revived area. The owners (The Chef and his wife) take great care of you and are almost always at the restaurant to make sure everything is perfect. The rooftop deck will be great as the weather warms up. We had our valentine dinner here this month and it was amazing as always. Don't miss the Kadu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valet was an issueorenkiwiVIPDined on 2/14/2014If I am going to be charged for a valet, when most valets are complimentary if you are eating at the establishment, I expect that he/she should be able to drive a manual transmission. The street was busy, because it was Valentine's night, but the three times that he had a chance to leave the lot across the street, he missed the opportunity because he kept stalling my car. I finally got frustrated and walked over and told him to get out. I tipped him anyhow, but I still found it ridiculous.Special Features:
- One of our favoriteshotczechDined on 2/8/2014We just love this place. My boyfriend chose it for his birthday dinner. It never fails to satisfy. I think of the cuisine as Afghan comfort food. Gotta keep going back so I can try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014I went out for a date night, and it was great. Whole experience was very nice, great service, and amazing amazing food! I will be back in the future.Special Features:
- The chef made it specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014The chef took time to recommend appetizers and wine for the beginning of the meal. His gesture to help me honor my special guest. It was LOVELY.Special Features:
- This restaurant is excellent.noneDined on 1/25/2014This restaurant is excellent. The flavors are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.