Nonnina Italian Bistro
999 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Nonnina Italian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nonninarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6313218717
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday 3:00pm-9:00pm Closed Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sorriano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties during non-business hours, semi-private during business hours.
- Private Party Contact: Carolyn Crimi 6313218717
A word from Nonnina Italian Bistro
With a name that translates from the Italian as "little grandmother", this dining spot offers the authentic cooking of Italy in an elegant ambience. Owner Paul Aniboli collaborated with managing partner Robert DiPierro and executive chef Richard Soriano on a new journey in traditional Italian cuisine with a trendy fine-dining atmosphere. Diners will be immediately impressed upon entering this chic, upscale yet comfortable establishment. Vintage Italian poster art can be found decorating the walls in all areas of the restaurant. The bistro/bar area is very inviting, lined with intimate tables, beige suede chairs and plush leather couches warmed by a fireplace and exposed brick. Rated 3 stars by Newsday's Peter Gianotti, Nonnina provides exceptional Italian cuisine and professional service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nonnina Italian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (22)romantic (19)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (13)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- RepeatableLIWestchesterDined on 10/18/2014We've eaten here several times and it is consistently good.Special Features:
- Great!MizlabelDined on 10/18/2014We went with a bunch of friends & it was great. Excellent drinks, food was fabulous and we had a great time. Henry, the chef, is incredible. Been here many times & the food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite but....cidriveuVIPDined on 9/28/2014We love this Nonnina one of our Favorites.. we love the food our waiters were good...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu choicesLizaDined on 9/28/2014Traditional favorites as well as Ecclectic menu options. Enjoyed the garlic shrimp & beet salad. Gelato was ridiculously good. Nice wine & cocktail menu too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO for the foodDocVDined on 9/26/2014Very nice menu; they even were able to please a picky vegetarian among us. Salads were unique and flavorful using a minimum of ingredients to make surprising combinations. One meal (chicken parm) looked like a family style portion and a big eater had to actually bring home half of it. We arrived for our 6 PM and were the first ones in. Got a little noisy as it filled up; we had requester a quiet table on our opentable reservation (we are getting older and hearing gets tough ) and only later realized we should have gotten a booth instead of a centrally located table. We wish they had dealt with that. Waitress was lovely, although had not mastered the art of tactful interruption. A little more training is needed, but she had potentialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeloVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food and ambiance. Never disappoints. Our party enjoyed the mussels appetizer as well as the proscuitto and cheese boards. Veal chops, although pricey at $50, are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerkimnkeithDined on 8/29/2014food/service was good- here are my negatives- heard great things after reading the menu online- ended up being way shorter ¬ as good once I got to the restaurant. No manager stopped by to ask about our experience as a first time guest nor was there any recognition of our anniversary despite mentioning it on my open table reservation. I was sat at a table where the booth cushion was so low my husband was looking down at me and so I was offered a pillow to sit on..I was told this was common!?! Am I 10? We changed tables. The wine list was terrible, but Gina was able to get us a bottle of Barolo off the menu. With so many other places to choose from we will not be spending $300 there again. food and service was good but nothing wowed usSpecial Features:
- jrhoten789VIPDined on 8/20/2014We ate at the bar, service was professional and friendly, good martini, good wine list & half priced on Wednesday , octopus starter was exceptional, good salad and the chicken scarpariello was excellent.
- keep tryingPamPVIPDined on 8/17/2014this has been one of our favorites for a few years, lately however every time we go in there is a whole new wait staff and not for the better- I don't understand the turnover of help the last few months- in the past our servers knew what we drank- now we have to stare them down to get a refill- no personal attention so we have become increasingly disappointed and sad to say we are not going to be going there weekly anymore- we will be looking for a new staple place to eat- such a shame.
- Good food with great servicddudleyDined on 8/16/2014Italian is the main focus, but good seafood and chops. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My husband and I took my best friend to Nonniana to celebrate her birthday last Tuesday, it was beautiful and our meals were amazing. We started with clams casino, LOVED the skirt steak and ended by splitting a Tiramisu - everything was just perfect and our waitress and waitstaff were spot on. I only wish this restaurant was closer to our home instead of my girlfriend's!Special Features:
- Always a great dinnerloverestaurantsVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here is always delicious - fresh and well prepared. Great salads, delicious cheese, excellent fish, scrumptious desserts. Some of the aperitifs are a bit pricey so I generally stick to a glass or two of wine. Service is attentive and courteous. Relaxed but elegant. Watch out for the directions. For some reason our GPS always crosses us up on the way here. Better to call the restaurant and make sure.Special Features:
- Our favorite local spotSkater17Dined on 8/5/2014We frequent Noninna's Italian Bistro. The menu has a little bit of something for everyone and is always changing. Ambiance is great whether you dine in the main floor restaurant, the bar area or upstairs. All of the servers are very attentive and the food... fabulous!!Special Features:
- DeeDeeDined on 8/2/2014Food is constantly exceptional. Wait staff is professional and courteous. A delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 7/26/2014Another great meal!!! The garlicky shrimp was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stop Changing the Menu!MoonstruckOneVIPDined on 7/16/2014We went for the Stags Leap Artemis & the Seafood salad. Both were OFF the menu like the fabulous shrimp dish that is off the menu. (The replacement shrimp dish does compare). The beet salad was very good; the steamed clams. & mussels were excellent. Rigatoni was good. Veal meatballs are always good. Sarah & Mercurcio. (? spelling) provided friendly service although the bill was incorrect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh new menuBeachfoodieDined on 7/13/2014If you haven't been for a while, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the lighter, perfect for summer additions to the menu.Special Features:
- Wine Lovers WednesdayMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 6/25/2014The wines at Nonnina's are generally overpriced (for example $55 for Nozzole which retails for $15), but on Wednesdays, the wines are half priced. The have the wines on the wine list back in stock. The brie and beet salad is outstanding. The veal meatballs are usually good, but ours were served cold....reheated...disappointing. The chicken scapariello was excellent and a nice sized serving. I miss the wonderful grilled shrimp dish that used to be on the menu. The current grilled shrimp dish doesn't compare to the former version. They never should have made that change. The bread is excellent. The coffee is disappointing. On Wednesdays, you get a good meal at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 326 reviews are from the Nonnina Italian Bistro reviews archive.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014I had planned on trying Noninna for some time, I was pleased when I finally did. It's larger inside than it appears outside. The bar is comfortable with ample seating. Both dining rooms, upstairs and downstairs are warm and inviting. The food was excellent and so was the service. I don't know what took me so long, but I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCharlieVIPDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant I feel is one the south shores finest. Food, staff is excellent. Great atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wines Not AvailableMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 6/11/2014On Wednesdays, they offer wine at half price. Unfortunately, wines on the list have not been available. The seafood salad is delicious. The pastas are ok. On the new menu, the veal chop is now $50. The bread is delicious. The service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forth VisitFood4thoughtDined on 6/1/2014Very nice place, atmosphere, fire place, very clean bathrooms. Great for a special occasion. Menu a bit limited, but food is good, and service was outstanding and friendly. Some items such as the veal a bit pricey, and little price choice for those who want to be somewhere in the middle. Portions are good, appetizers very good, salads excellent, bread to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good MealMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 5/29/2014They didn't have the wine we ordered. The seafood salad is excellent. The bread is the best on LI. The new version of the grilled shrimp dish does not compare to the former incarnation. The chicken is another great choice. The restaurant was jammed on this Thursday night, and the noise was borderline unbearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorial weekendcidriveuVIPDined on 5/25/2014Considering it was Memorial day weekend! The food still didn't disappoint. We had the pizza and a salad as our starters. Very good.. the pizza I felt I was on the street in Little Italy! salad with beets oh my goodness could have just had that... we then had steak and shrimp not disappointed....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possiby The Best Italian Food on LIRobWestIslipDined on 5/23/2014I have eaten at Nonnina's three times and each time the food has been outstanding. The menu selection is just right, with a nice mix of entrees and appetizers that will satisfy all guests. The cavatelli bolognese alone will make you come back again. The bolognese sauce is as good as it gets. I'm usually not a fan of ordering calamari when dining out since most restaurants do not prepare it properly. My wife wanted it so we ordered it and it was perfect. Cooked just right and breaded perfectly. The soft shell crab was perfect. The ambiance is quiet and the staff is on point. Very courteous and organized. Every dish came and went with precision and no rushing or long wait times. Without a doubt the best Italian food in West Islip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacejackgVIPDined on 5/18/2014This is a terrific place. Good food, good quality and imaginative preparations. I really wish this place were still open for lunch.Special Features:
- 2nd time not a charmJG106Dined on 5/17/2014They sat us 40 minutes after our reservation. They sat us under the steps so that every time the staff ran upstairs, it sounded like we were in a subway station. It was 20 minutes before we met our waitress. We then sat for 40 minutes before apps came out. And then another 30 minutes before she came over to tell us they were plating our food. In all that time, she never came over to see if we needed drinks, to apologize for the delay, to see if we needed anything. So we got up to leave. We told her that this was the worst service I've ever had. She didn't say anything to us, but we heard her say to the manager, "Couldn't save 'em." Should have tried harder... like by saying "I'm sorry."
- Delish!!!Janette811VIPDined on 5/17/2014We had dinner there on Sat. night....everything was amazing!! The fish special was great...and the seafood salad special was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Your food was absolutely execllent! I had the short rib ravioli and broccoli rabe. So good. I would pass on your restaurant to many people. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out with friendsdebsteve1Dined on 5/13/2014My only complaint is that this restaurant isn't closer to where we live because we would be here all the time. The food is topnotch and the ambience is beautiful. We went on a Tuesday night so the bar was quiet, but on the weekends they have a great bar crowd. Staff was excellent and very friendly.Special Features:
- Service has declinedSouthShoreFoodieDined on 5/10/2014Overall this was a good experience--service was disappointing. Granted, it was a Saturday evening dinner, but our table was taken and we took another table instead. Our 1st server seemed new and clumsily offered specials, menus, and I had to ask for a wine list. Two additional servers worked with the 1st in order to expedite service. We've frequented Nonnina's about 15 times over the past few years, and this was another decline if standards from our initial impression. Food is always great, only wish service staff was more experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 5/8/2014We love the seafood salad appetizer, the veal meatball appetizer and the pastas are good. Alas, much of the bar crowd and too many of the diners are LOUD. So, good as the food is, it's not as romantic as I wish it were. We dined on a Thursday night; it was very loud.Special Features:
- Mid week dinnercmgparsonsVIPDined on 5/6/2014We were able to have a quiet business meeting while enjoying a delicious meal on a recent Tuesday evening.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014The food and service was great, I was there celebrating my engagement and we had a great table with great waiter service. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personnel ChangesMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 4/16/2014We missed seeing the charming Anya at the door. The new hostess lacks graciousness. Then, we were seated in the dining room, and excepting Giovanni & one bus boy, the entire staff had changed. The new crew seemed more like diner waitresses than upscale restaurant waitresses. The personnel changes were a real downgrade. Fortunately, the chef is the same and the food remains excellent. We had the seafood salad, the shrimp dish & the chicken dish. All were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014We love Nonina and it's on our favorite list but this time we were very rushed. I get it they want to turn over the tables but this time was ridiculous answer were very dissapointed
- Just around the cornerRafaelDined on 4/9/2014We love that this little place is just around the corner from where live so that we could go out mid week to celebrate my wife's birthday. That being said we felt like we were in an urban, big city restaurant:-) Anyway, the service was excellent, the wine list exceptional. ( 1/2 price bottles of wine on Wednesdays). The calamari friti was one of the best I've ever had and the buffalo mozzarella with prosciutto parma was excellent. I had the jumbo shrimp (looked like little lobster tails) & my wife had the grillled salmon over faro with kale and pine nuts - very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014This is my second time at Nonina's in one week. The food, service and the ambiance, was perfect. Thank you Joan ( our waitress ) for a great evening. and my complements to the ChefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid local performerEtienVIPDined on 3/15/2014I've been to Nonnina several times as it is in the neighborhood. The staff is always accommodating and the service is solid. There seems to be a lot of turn over in the wait staff but they still manage to field a good crew. I rate the food on average as good but they have both some outstanding dishes ( swordfish special) and some not so good. The upstairs is better then down as the bar scene can be a bit much. Nonninas is a good, solid choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 82 nd Birthday partyNapleLoverVIPDined on 3/8/2014Upon arrival the hostess took us to a table (party of 5) in the bar? Two elderlys in our party 80+. I declined that table due to the noise level and after a little bit of a negotiation they reseated us in 1st floor dining room. We had a reservation. The service was amazing. Two of us had the lobster ravioli in a beschamel sauce didn't care for it. One had the veal chop Marsala that was amazing, and two others had pasta dishes that were good. Apps were great. Bring the good checkbook bsce prices are high. Dinner for 5 with 2 glasses of wine with tip $390.Special Features: