78 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nomadny.com/
- Phone: 2122535410x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, European, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call for quotes
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available to seat up to 105 guests inside. (Entire restaurant)
Smaller parties of up to 45 guests can be accommodated in our private room.
- Private Party Contact: Julia D. Flores - Manager 2122535410x
- Entertainment: Live Music and Belly Dancers
- Special Events: Weekly specials & promos. Please visit our facebook page.
- Cross Street: Between 4th and 5th Streets
- Public Transit: F & V train to 2nd Avenue/Lower East Side.
R, N & W train to 8th Street NYU.
L Train to 1st Avenue & 14th Street.
6 train to Astor Place.
M15 Downtown Local Bus to 6th Street & 2nd Avenue.
M15 Uptown Local Bus to 6th Street & 1st Avenue.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Nomad
Nomad, the Exquisite Mediterranean restaurant & bar proudly presents an authentic Mediterranean vibe for a romantic dining experience, an exotic adventure to bring friends together, and a distinguished atmosphere to entertain your business clients with unique Mediterranean Dishes and a Tapas Wine Bar, in the heart of The East Village, 78 Second Ave. (Between E. 4th St. and E. 5th St.) New York City, NY, 10003Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nomad reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (19)romantic (18)good for groups (15)special occasion (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The food was new and delicious, the server was exceptional and knowledgeable, and the decor was lovely. I couldn't have gone to a better place to get north african cuisine.Special Features:
- bilmoDined on 8/27/2014Fine ambience, knowledgeable and professional service and superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreElliottDined on 8/21/2014Nice people, nice menu, but the food was quite ordinary. My branzino, the special of the day, was dry and tasteless.
- ArlieneEaterupperDined on 8/15/2014Great gem of a find thru pulsd. Bronzino was cooked beautifully with unusual spices; veggies were terrific accompaniments; appetizer spreads had tasty middle eastern Mediterranean flavors that pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014great happy hour specials, and people watching! Love all the apps + sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personable and DeliciousBilalAbdulKareemDined on 8/9/2014This was my first time going to Nomad for dinner and I was quite hesitant since I'm very picky when it comes to my food. Nevertheless, I must say that this place exceeded my expectations. Not only was the food incredibly delicious but the service was outstanding. Our waiter, who was from Algeria, was respectful, personable, kind, professional, and well-versed in North African cuisine. He was always making sure that we were okay and even gave us complimentary Mint Tea at the end of our meal. The decor was very warm and it represented the Maghrebi region very well. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant to my family, friends, and colleagues AND I will return soon.Special Features:
- RanisDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous dining experience, the food and service were outstanding, will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialVincentDined on 7/25/2014Wanted to go to the NoMad..... Disappointed + food is decent at most. Nice ambience.
- Decent food but awful servicekimLVIPDined on 6/30/2014Dined here last week, and while the food was okay the service was genuinely bad. We sat down at 8:15 and didn't get our appetizers until 9 (and they came out 15 minutes apart). We didn't get our entrees until almost 9:45. There was no attempt by our server to explain why the food took so long, and we had to ask twice for both water and a second glass of wine. The situation was exasperated by the fact that other diners, all of which seemed to be on a first name basis with the server, received their food quickly and were generals treated with more hospitality. We will not return.
- Not recommendedGargalerinoDined on 6/28/2014I ordered the fish and I had to return it. It tasted like propane gas. Service was mediocre, my wine glass stayed empty for the entire time.
- Tasty North AfricanFHDinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food and service were outstanding. Portion sizes were enormous so we left feeling very full and satisfied. Nice outdoor seating. The indoor benches were a little uncomfortable and moved when we did so stick with chairs. Overall a very cute, cozy restaurant with interesting, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nomad restaurantathulya411Dined on 6/27/2014The food is french/north african, and is very good. Large servings, good selection of dishes. Outdoor and indoor dining. Service was good. I have been a number of times.Special Features:
- JennyVIPDined on 6/26/2014I mistakenly made a reservation here thinking it was The NoMad. My husband and I decided to eat here anyway and were not disappointed! It was delicious and the staff could not have been more friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a place to return toFoundRussianDined on 6/25/2014Absolutely delicious, unusual food save for those familiar with this neighborhood gem. Attentive, caring service and relaxed atmosphere/Special Features:
- What a great evening at Nomad !MarindiaDined on 6/20/2014It was a great experience having dinner at Nomad for my daughter's birthday,the food was exquisite as well as the service! I will definitively recommend that place for any occasion !Special Features:
- A Nice SurpriseAdamLipsonVIPDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I had dinner at Nomad for the first time this week. It was an incredibly nice surprise. We had a pitcher of Sangria in their outside seating area where we had the opportunity to people watch on 2nd Avenue. I had grilled shrimp as an appetizer, which had a tasty Moroccan seasoning. My wife had a spinach salad with a very interesting dressing. Both were fantastic. For main courses, I had the fish of the day which was a branzini. My wife had the vegetable cous cous. Both were awesome. For desert, we shared North African cookies. Everything was fabulous.Special Features:
- Top Notch MediterraneanBDandBBVIPDined on 5/29/2014Decent non-Italian Mediterranean food is easy to find in NYC, but excellent such fare is hard to come by. Nomad does it well in a very nice space and, as an added bonus, at noticeably reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Delicious food, but . . .MJCHZNDined on 5/28/2014We thought we were going to The NoMad Hotel. BOTH restaurants should make reference to the other or make sure people know the which place is which.Special Features:
- lovely last minute findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014We took friends here for dinner and they talked about how lovely the meal was all weekend. Everything we had was so good we had mussels, lamb chops, braised lamb, whole branzino, stuffed grape leaves and all were amazing. The service was on point and the restaurant so cute. I really cant fault them on anything and we will be back. We have been to much higher rated restaurants and not had as good an experience as we did here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomadBarbDVIPDined on 5/24/2014We only had the pastilla, but it was quite good (I've had better, but I've also had worse). The service was excellent. Nomad is a friendly, homey place. Nice for before a show... We really appreciated the quiet -- it's a rare restaurant that allows easy conversation these days.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and reasonableDowntownerVIPDined on 5/13/2014This place is a winner - the food is very good - fresh and flavorful. The service was outstanding. The decor is charming - whats not to like! Thank you Nomad!
- The following 269 reviews are from the Nomad reviews archive.
- Dinner at Nomad - 5/7GaryDined on 5/7/2014Dining at Nomad is always a pleasure for us. The food is well prepared, tasty, varried and presented well on the plate. We are members of the New York Theatre Workshop with four shows each season in our series. Consequently, we have dinner at Nomad at least four times a year. Nomad is always our restaurant of choice when we are down town. Even though there is an abundance of attractive restaurants in the area, we stay with the one that we know.Special Features:
- name change thru open tablewestpsycDined on 5/5/2014I recently made a reservation at Nomad and found out that there are TWO Nomads in open table. Be careful which one you reserve at as the Broadway location is the one I intended and I ended up getting a reservation at another location. Fortunately the staff at the "real" Nomad (affiliated with 11 Madison Park) accommodated myself and wife for dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodDrairDined on 4/25/2014Very good food, nice ambience , interesting choices in the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nomad rocks!UrbanAdventurerDined on 4/11/2014I've celebrated several big occasions at this restaurant! It's true hidden gem. The atmosphere rocks and its so nice!! The food is darn good!! I recommend the dip appetizer!! the Entrees are great as well!! the service is great and everyone is so nice and friendly!! This is the only place i go to for bday celebrations since it can accommodate over 15 people! This place is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Service - Friend's BdayBdayDined on 4/4/2014We hosted a surprise birthday at Nomad and the staff was incredible - helping us plan ahead of time (finding room out of view of the entrance, coordinating with the hostess about what I'd tell her when he arrived, if balloons and cake were allowed) and during the party. They even alerted the guests when bringing our friend back to the room! They let us drop off a cake an hour early so we didn't have to carry it while looking for balloons, they accommodated splitting the check in an awkward way, and gave us candles for the cake. The food was good, the atmosphere very nice. Highly recommended and very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food But..Foodie123Dined on 3/22/2014The food is excellent! We went as a group and our group generally has different tastes and everyone loved the food. We stuck to mostly seafood, grilled shrimp, fish of the day, and calamari. Then we had the dips and grilled chicken wish spinach The big but is the hostess! We were a group 8 and with reservations at 6 pm. Not one did she mention before 7:45 pm that she needed the table at 8 pm for another party and we hadn't even order our entrees yet. Thankfully, the wait staff was friendly to let us finish our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!LVaccaroVIPDined on 3/16/2014We went to Nomad for my boyfriend's birthday. To be honest, it was a last minute booking since I dropped the ball and picked something way to girly and chic for him and his macho friends. We booked for a party of 10 about an hour before arriving. It wasn't very crowded for a Saturday night, and we had this awesome table that was in a little nook toward the back - a long booth with neat tapestries hanging over the little outcove it was situated in. The food was great - not quite picture worthy as it was more Moraccan "comfort food" than food that is plated to wow, but all the same delicious. Service was wonderful - our waiter recommended a Moraccan Syrah that was the perfect compliment to dinner. I would absolutely recommend this spot!Special Features:
- Taste of North AfricaRissaLove527Dined on 3/13/2014I was blown away by the staff's hospitality and the succulent food. The wait staff was extremely attentive. The main courses were out of this world extraordinary. I recommend the lamb shank. It was so juicy and tender that it fell off the bone. We also had branzino which melted in your mouth. The dessert exploded with flavor. They brought a chocolate fondant with a liquid chocolate and raspberry center and we had Moraccan mint tea to finish off our night. We told the manager how amazing the food was and she thanked us with a round of Port! They really care about their customers. I'm really happy that I gave a new place a try. I will return to Nomad! I can't wait to try more items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowHowefanDined on 3/11/2014Everything we wanted and then some. Hip, romantic decor, eclectic wine list, accessible prices, tremendous service. Sit at the round corner table on the glass-enclosed porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2014I was a little disappointed in the food. I like Moroccan food and it wasn't very authentic or very good.
- terrible food and sangriamooseDined on 2/16/2014The decor was nice and the maitre'd was nice as well. Our waiter committed my biggest pet peeve in a restaurant which is to only look at the other person (male) when explaining the specials. Sangria was watered down. It was probably sitting in the container with ice. Why? The duck pastilla was crispy on the outside which was nice but had no flavor and a mushy texture inside. Oysters were pump and pretty good. My lamb tagine was tender with large pieces of prunes. Overall a tasty dish and it came with a side of couscous. My friend order a couscous dish with an assortments of meats on top. Overall, the meats were overcooked and dry. I will definitely not be coming back. Even with the 30% discount we had, I thought we paid too much.
- No greeting at the door. HadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014No greeting at the door. Had to wait 7 minutes before hostess acknowledged us. Noise extremely loud and interfered with conversation. Water never refilled, bread not brought to table. Food only average. Would not recommendSpecial Features:
- couscous or not?vinapunimDined on 2/4/2014I'm still dreaming of having a real couscous like the kind I have had in Paris....
- Worth exploringLatenitestabDined on 2/1/2014We had a family issue and had to leave mid-meal so perspective is a little skewed. First, I am from out of town. There wasn't much wrong with this place. I just feel like there are better spots in NYC. So I probably won't go back. That being said, if I lived here, it is reasonably priced and you get more than you pay for. Either way, you won't be upset about giving it a try.Special Features:
- Poor customer serviceLovesDiningDined on 1/25/2014It's a shame this restaurant is so poorly run (or hired really slow and non-adaptable staff). The food is great and the drinks are good, but our experience overall was painful because of the maitre d' and the painfully slow service!! We waited for about 30-40 minutes to be seated even though we had a reservation. The maitre d' had an exceptionally hard time figuring out where to seat us and was unpleasant to deal with. She seemed overwhelmed for her job. We waited another 30 minutes to 45 minutes to even get our drinks. Restaurants in New York should be able to figure this out... your competitors do... I can't bring a group here again, it disrupted the flow of the evening too much.
- Nice find in east villageLvfood7Dined on 1/23/2014This place took us by surprise. The waitstaff were very attentive, informative and helpful. The food was excellent and the prices were quite reasonable. Highly recommend it...am thinking about when I can get back there!Special Features:
- Good unpretentious food and wineLondonfoodieDined on 1/20/2014Very helpful waiter. Excellent meat dishes. The merguez sausage and the nomad trip of dips are delicious. I wish they had more authentic seating but I understand that not everyone wants to sit on the floor! They could improve their cocktail list but the wines are all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Morocco for the night!MomoVIPDined on 1/19/2014We found this place because someone had recommended NoMad, a trendy new place. When we looked, we found Nomad as well. Much more reasonable price range. Form 4 to 7, blue point oysters for $1 apiece!!!!!! There were six of us and we had 3 dozen! Then duck pastilla, array of dips/spreads,lentil soup,grape leaves stuffed with cheese and on and on. Then lamb tagine, fresh branzino,chicken pastillas. Most reasonable wine list in NYC, not extensive, but Lobster Point SB from NZ, and a lovely Malbec, for $35 or so per bottle. Wonderful attentive service. Definitely on the dinner with good friends/foodies list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting FindfoodandfunDined on 1/4/2014We came to Nomad at the recommendation of the New York Theater Workshop a suggestion among other neighborhood spots for pre-theater dining. A cozy place with friendly service on a bitter cold early January night. The Cabernet recommended to my wife by our hostess was full-bodied and delicious. I had a wonderful winter porter. Our beet and sliced orange salad was so-so. Delicious beets, but the oranges had been marinated in something with a sharp, unpleasant taste that ruined an otherwise very good salad. Lentil soup was good, not great. Both of us ordered sea bass--a fillet and whole fish version which was very good. The ambiance is good, with an interesting vibe. Worth a stop if you're in the hood but not a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.