2839 Selwyn Avenue Ste X
Charlotte, NC 28209Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nolenkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7043721424
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm/Bar: until 1:00am, Friday and Saturday Lunch/Dinner: 11:00am - 11:00pm/ Bar until 2:00am; Sunday Brunch Menu: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner:5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Katrina Bearer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Xenia Hospitality Catering contact Chris Culp at Chris@xeniahospitality.com
- Entertainment: Live Music Thursday - Saturday
A word from Nolen Kitchen
Nestled in a boutique shopping center along the tree lined streets of Myers Park, Nolen Kitchen and Crescent Bar Lounge offers an eclectic selection of contemporary American fare in a fresh, continental atmosphere. With continental offerings to satisfy any palate, from simple to the most sophisticated, Nolen’s menu is a journey through American cuisine. Finish your meal with one of our award-winning pastry chef’s delicately designed desserts and step into our bar to enjoy an aperitif. Nolen also features patio seating, which seats 60. Join us on Sundays for our delicious brunch menu from 9am-3pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Nolen Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Nolen Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (39)great for brunch (19)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)good for groups (16)special occasion (12)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- I really want to love Nolen, but...HungryBearsVIPDined on 10/16/2014I love the patio at Nolen. It's a great place to hang out with friends or my sweet hubby and enjoy and appetizer and a glass (or three!) of wine. But. Every time I go I find that there's less and less on the menu that attracts me, and even what attracts me turns out to be so-so at best. Had the ahi tuna appetizer and a side of sauteed spinach there this week. The spinach was not edible. The tuna literally had no flavor and I'm still not sure what the green stuff under the tuna was. And it was quite expensive for the portion size. But, the wine was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Didn't have anything that was just absolutely fantastic. The food was good but not over the top good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was starving!eatToPerformDined on 9/26/2014I was unbelievably famished when I arrived with my girlfriend Friday night at 8:30. We were both flabbergasted at how quickly our food came out. It was as if as soon as we made our drink orders our server handed them to us from behind her back! The food felt whole, as if it was prepared in my very own kitchen. You will see me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still HungryRuffieDined on 9/26/2014They have changed their menu. Does not match the one on Open Table. Most of the gluten free options from the old menu are gone. If you have to eat gluten free but don't like seafood, your choices are a salad, a $60 steak, or Taco Bell.
- Great foodcindiVIPDined on 9/26/2014In a cozy, comfortable restaurant. Everything was fresh and nicely presented. Service could not have been betterI would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great placeTrendyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nolen kitchen still keeps it's unique and trendy style. Food is still phenomenal and I love the new improvement in the decor. I brough an out of towner for sat lunch. Service was a little weakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Megc87Dined on 9/4/2014I have previously been for brunch and Nolen was great! My salad this particular evening was just fair. Great music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint restaurantwineanddineDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is quaint and not too large. Food is great but noise level can be distracting. I prefer sitting outside when I can for that reason or going early before it gets too crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcceptablepatriciaDined on 8/15/20144 diners, two of us enjoyed the meal, two did not. I enjoyed the pasta and my husband enjoyed the spinach pie. One did not care for the meatloaf, the other said his meal was OK. Ambiance was OK but the rug at the entrance was dirty.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014My second favorite restauarant in town! Love this place! ALWAYS get the daily fish special...never disappoints!Special Features:
- Dinner was perfect.MinivanMomDined on 8/7/2014I took a friend out for her birthday dinner. We had a delightful evening and the dinner was perfect along with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lisaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Good spot. The only issue is running out of shrimp and our favorite wine. The service is always good. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great Lunch with FriendsJoeysMomDined on 7/26/2014Outstanding and relaxed service - there when we needed him, but not intrusive. The menu options were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great service in wonderful outdoor setting. Appetizers best part of meal. Spinich pie not up to par. Way too heavy and dense with no flavor.Special Features:
- It wasn't that badSheareeVIPDined on 7/20/2014But certainly not something to rave about. The service was fine. The food was okey. But when you recall the meal, nothing stands out. Good or bad. So the best I can say is, it was fair. Fair price for the fair meal.
- LewisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food was good as always. Very decent selection of unique dishes. Wine is a bit pricey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Food and service were great. Ahi tuna and the zucchini chips appetizers were wonderful. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No One's KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was terrible. Salmon came out raw at first, then torched to a crisp after being returned. Mussels were overlooked yet cold by the time they were brought to table. House fries were mushy and lacking in seasoning. Cocktails were watery and lifeless. Service was inattentive yet surly. Sad to see this place turn into a glorified burger and salad joint. Felt like place was running on autopilot with no one in kitchen.
- bethkVIPDined on 7/4/2014This was our third attempt to enjoy Nolen Kitchen. We always hear good things and continue to give it a chance. Our waitress was not familiar with the specials, could not answer questions about the appetizers, wine, entrees, or dessert. She was very nice, but definitely not the caliber of waitress at a restaurant trying to be moderate to high level. The food is fine, but not wonderful. Probably wouldn't go back at this point. At the $30+ price point per person, just not worth it.
- NOISEYikes101Dined on 6/28/2014The food and service was GREAT! The noise level was very loud and to add to that we were seated next to a table with a family and two small children. One of the kids was a screamer and neither of the parents tried to control the noise or the interruption. We at one point asked management for our check to leave. It is not management's fault and I know a delicate situation but when one table/family is interrupting the entire dining room, it's time to leave. I can only hope when we return to Nolen's and eat other than the bar or outdoors, the experience is different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Neighborhood Spot!AmimarieVIPDined on 6/22/2014The menus is current, fresh and there is something for everyone. I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:
- The following 393 reviews are from the Nolen Kitchen reviews archive.
- good date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I found Nolans under neighborhood gems. It was great evening, we got there a bit earlier than our reservation and chose table outside. The service was good. Food was prepared and presented well. They had gfree menu which was great for me. Our waiter didn't really seem to understand what that was but was helpful. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular customerJohnF28209Dined on 6/17/2014We go to Nolen often and sit at the bar ordering the same food every time (salads with salmon) with no problem. I brought 7 colleagues hoping for equally good service at a table (versus the bar) and unfortunately, I was let down by my local spot. The server was very slow to take orders and 3 of the 7 dishes were incorrect. Nobody came to get our desert order so I asked the manager to help. Instead of walking right over to get our orders, he spent a few minutes trying to find our waitress. We had planned to order one of each. We got fro yo instead since they took too long. Sadly, one of my colleagues said they would not be back. Another said, he expected more. I will be back though and will sit at the bar again with great service there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty tastyMizzadieVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had a pretty tasty Sunday brunch /the food was good and if II get lucky enough to sit on the patio it is a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchMichaelDined on 6/15/2014All went well generally. Service was a little slow because it appeared some servers were not aware they had those tables where the tables had to ask for service. One was on each side of us.Special Features:
- FantasticBeamenDined on 6/7/2014Great service, great food. Every employee seemed happy to be there. Possibly the greatest dining experience I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Nolen K Several TimesRHargisDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I have had lunch at Nolan Kitchen several times all with great experiences. Had brunch for the 1st time this past Sunday. Awesome - just what we were looking for. Great food, great service and the porch was great on a Sunday late morning.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014After a recent review in the Charlotte Oberserver that highly touted their fried zucchini, we decided to give Nolen Kitchen a try for Sunday brunch. The server said fried zucchini wasn't available during Sunday brunch but would ask the chef. We never heard anything else about it. We never received bread/muffins that all of the other tables got prior to their meals, and our drinks were often empty. The place wasn't busy. I guess I know why.Special Features:
- Great patio dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014We had the perfect evening at Nolen. We started with the zuchinni chips which are quite good. My husband started with the french onion soup, it was delicious!! It was quite salty as french onion soup often is, which perfectly suited our taste buds. My husband ordered the scallops which was was extremely satisfied with. I ordered the Chicken Picatta. The chicken was deliciously breaded and crunchy which sat on top of the pasta. The pasta and sauce was ok, the sauce was a bit too thin and overall flavor was pretty good. A good dish, but not one that I would order again there. Overall, we had a great meal and enjoyed sitting outside on the patio.Special Features:
- Good for Al Fresco diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014We had an early reservation and the place was buzzing. We had the chicken wings, which were nice & spicy and the paella, which was prepared really well.Special Features:
- Mother's DayRonaDined on 5/11/2014Food was good but not hot. Staff got orders all mixed up. Everyone finally got served but husband. They compt his lunch and cappachinos for the mess up. Server was nice but they gave him too many tables to serve. He was doing his best but it was impossible. Would go to lunch or dinner but not back for an occasion
- Great neighborhood restaurantAlwayshungryDined on 5/11/2014The food is good. Nice variety of choices. Servers are well informed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mother's Day BrunchsbymDined on 5/11/2014We had a lovely Mother's Day brunch at Nolen Kitchen. The service was wonderful. We'll definitely back!Special Features:
- horrible servicemaursushiplzDined on 5/11/2014this restaurant had great food, but unfortunately, the service was absolutely terrible. our waiter was super rude as well as the bussers. i would never go back here again, which is a shame because the food was pretty good and i had wanted to go here for a while.
- A great place for many occasionssweeeetDined on 5/10/2014Great place for a variety of occasions. We have enjoyed a quiet dinner for two, dinner at the bar while watching a sport event, as well as, fun evenings with six to eight family and friends. Outdoor patio is also a fun alternative. Live music can be enjoyed up close in the bar or as nice background to a quieter meal around the corner in the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It.outoftown4Dined on 5/10/2014Took the Mother-In-Law to dinner for Mother's day. Everyone in the party enjoyed the dinning experience. Great/friendly service. Food was delicious and prepared correctly. Desserts are wonderful.Special Features:
- texasbalesVIPDined on 4/30/2014We had the dinner special the other night, and it was fantastic. Never had a bad meal here...ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceeluncherDined on 4/23/2014I booked a table for 4 for a birthday lunch in April 2014. We were seated promptly and the restaurant had only 4-5 tables seated. We all ordered salads. Service was slow, but salads arrived and waitress diappeared. Two of the salads had no (or very little dressing) I could not find our waitress (or anyone ) to help. Finally, I asked another waitress to bring us salad dressing - our salads were half eaten by this point. She never returned. I saw another waitress and made the same request and she did bring the dressing. However, we had nearly finished our undressed salads by this time. We never saw our waitress during this entire ordeal, but she arrived in time to bring us the bill. Very disappointing lunch!
- Good food, great pricesTonyDined on 4/22/2014The food was great and the price was even better. Spinach pie was top notch! Only down side was parking can be a little difficult. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked that place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Our party of 4 had Easter brunch and was most impressed with everything, the service, great atmosphere and outstanding food. Did I mention the prices were too good?Special Features: