2839 Selwyn Avenue Ste X
Charlotte, NC 28209Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nolenkitchen.com/
- Phone: 7043721424
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm/Bar: until 1:00am, Friday and Saturday Lunch/Dinner: 11:00am - 11:00pm/ Bar until 2:00am; Sunday Brunch Menu: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner:5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Katrina Bearer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Xenia Hospitality Catering contact Chris Culp at Chris@xeniahospitality.com
- Entertainment: Live Music Thursday - Saturday
A word from Nolen Kitchen
Nestled in a boutique shopping center along the tree lined streets of Myers Park, Nolen Kitchen and Crescent Bar Lounge offers an eclectic selection of contemporary American fare in a fresh, continental atmosphere. With continental offerings to satisfy any palate, from simple to the most sophisticated, Nolen’s menu is a journey through American cuisine. Finish your meal with one of our award-winning pastry chef’s delicately designed desserts and step into our bar to enjoy an aperitif. Nolen also features patio seating, which seats 60. Join us on Sundays for our delicious brunch menu from 9am-3pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Nolen Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Nolen Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)neighborhood gem (57)great for brunch (29)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (23)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (17)special occasion (14)romantic (11)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (10)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Quaint restaurantwineanddineDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is quaint and not too large. Food is great but noise level can be distracting. I prefer sitting outside when I can for that reason or going early before it gets too crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcceptablepatriciaDined on 8/15/20144 diners, two of us enjoyed the meal, two did not. I enjoyed the pasta and my husband enjoyed the spinach pie. One did not care for the meatloaf, the other said his meal was OK. Ambiance was OK but the rug at the entrance was dirty.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014My second favorite restauarant in town! Love this place! ALWAYS get the daily fish special...never disappoints!Special Features:
- Dinner was perfect.MinivanMomDined on 8/7/2014I took a friend out for her birthday dinner. We had a delightful evening and the dinner was perfect along with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lisaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Good spot. The only issue is running out of shrimp and our favorite wine. The service is always good. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great Lunch with FriendsJoeysMomDined on 7/26/2014Outstanding and relaxed service - there when we needed him, but not intrusive. The menu options were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great service in wonderful outdoor setting. Appetizers best part of meal. Spinich pie not up to par. Way too heavy and dense with no flavor.Special Features:
- It wasn't that badSheareeVIPDined on 7/20/2014But certainly not something to rave about. The service was fine. The food was okey. But when you recall the meal, nothing stands out. Good or bad. So the best I can say is, it was fair. Fair price for the fair meal.
- LewisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food was good as always. Very decent selection of unique dishes. Wine is a bit pricey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Food and service were great. Ahi tuna and the zucchini chips appetizers were wonderful. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No One's KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was terrible. Salmon came out raw at first, then torched to a crisp after being returned. Mussels were overlooked yet cold by the time they were brought to table. House fries were mushy and lacking in seasoning. Cocktails were watery and lifeless. Service was inattentive yet surly. Sad to see this place turn into a glorified burger and salad joint. Felt like place was running on autopilot with no one in kitchen.
- bethkVIPDined on 7/4/2014This was our third attempt to enjoy Nolen Kitchen. We always hear good things and continue to give it a chance. Our waitress was not familiar with the specials, could not answer questions about the appetizers, wine, entrees, or dessert. She was very nice, but definitely not the caliber of waitress at a restaurant trying to be moderate to high level. The food is fine, but not wonderful. Probably wouldn't go back at this point. At the $30+ price point per person, just not worth it.
- NOISEYikes101Dined on 6/28/2014The food and service was GREAT! The noise level was very loud and to add to that we were seated next to a table with a family and two small children. One of the kids was a screamer and neither of the parents tried to control the noise or the interruption. We at one point asked management for our check to leave. It is not management's fault and I know a delicate situation but when one table/family is interrupting the entire dining room, it's time to leave. I can only hope when we return to Nolen's and eat other than the bar or outdoors, the experience is different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Neighborhood Spot!AmimarieDined on 6/22/2014The menus is current, fresh and there is something for everyone. I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:
- good date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I found Nolans under neighborhood gems. It was great evening, we got there a bit earlier than our reservation and chose table outside. The service was good. Food was prepared and presented well. They had gfree menu which was great for me. Our waiter didn't really seem to understand what that was but was helpful. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular customerJohnF28209Dined on 6/17/2014We go to Nolen often and sit at the bar ordering the same food every time (salads with salmon) with no problem. I brought 7 colleagues hoping for equally good service at a table (versus the bar) and unfortunately, I was let down by my local spot. The server was very slow to take orders and 3 of the 7 dishes were incorrect. Nobody came to get our desert order so I asked the manager to help. Instead of walking right over to get our orders, he spent a few minutes trying to find our waitress. We had planned to order one of each. We got fro yo instead since they took too long. Sadly, one of my colleagues said they would not be back. Another said, he expected more. I will be back though and will sit at the bar again with great service there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty tastyMizzadieVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had a pretty tasty Sunday brunch /the food was good and if II get lucky enough to sit on the patio it is a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchMichaelDined on 6/15/2014All went well generally. Service was a little slow because it appeared some servers were not aware they had those tables where the tables had to ask for service. One was on each side of us.Special Features:
- FantasticBeamenDined on 6/7/2014Great service, great food. Every employee seemed happy to be there. Possibly the greatest dining experience I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Nolen K Several TimesRHargisDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I have had lunch at Nolan Kitchen several times all with great experiences. Had brunch for the 1st time this past Sunday. Awesome - just what we were looking for. Great food, great service and the porch was great on a Sunday late morning.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014After a recent review in the Charlotte Oberserver that highly touted their fried zucchini, we decided to give Nolen Kitchen a try for Sunday brunch. The server said fried zucchini wasn't available during Sunday brunch but would ask the chef. We never heard anything else about it. We never received bread/muffins that all of the other tables got prior to their meals, and our drinks were often empty. The place wasn't busy. I guess I know why.Special Features:
- Great patio dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014We had the perfect evening at Nolen. We started with the zuchinni chips which are quite good. My husband started with the french onion soup, it was delicious!! It was quite salty as french onion soup often is, which perfectly suited our taste buds. My husband ordered the scallops which was was extremely satisfied with. I ordered the Chicken Picatta. The chicken was deliciously breaded and crunchy which sat on top of the pasta. The pasta and sauce was ok, the sauce was a bit too thin and overall flavor was pretty good. A good dish, but not one that I would order again there. Overall, we had a great meal and enjoyed sitting outside on the patio.Special Features:
- Good for Al Fresco diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014We had an early reservation and the place was buzzing. We had the chicken wings, which were nice & spicy and the paella, which was prepared really well.Special Features:
- Mother's DayRonaDined on 5/11/2014Food was good but not hot. Staff got orders all mixed up. Everyone finally got served but husband. They compt his lunch and cappachinos for the mess up. Server was nice but they gave him too many tables to serve. He was doing his best but it was impossible. Would go to lunch or dinner but not back for an occasion
- Great neighborhood restaurantAlwayshungryDined on 5/11/2014The food is good. Nice variety of choices. Servers are well informed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mother's Day BrunchsbymDined on 5/11/2014We had a lovely Mother's Day brunch at Nolen Kitchen. The service was wonderful. We'll definitely back!Special Features:
- horrible servicemaursushiplzDined on 5/11/2014this restaurant had great food, but unfortunately, the service was absolutely terrible. our waiter was super rude as well as the bussers. i would never go back here again, which is a shame because the food was pretty good and i had wanted to go here for a while.
- A great place for many occasionssweeeetDined on 5/10/2014Great place for a variety of occasions. We have enjoyed a quiet dinner for two, dinner at the bar while watching a sport event, as well as, fun evenings with six to eight family and friends. Outdoor patio is also a fun alternative. Live music can be enjoyed up close in the bar or as nice background to a quieter meal around the corner in the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It.outoftown4Dined on 5/10/2014Took the Mother-In-Law to dinner for Mother's day. Everyone in the party enjoyed the dinning experience. Great/friendly service. Food was delicious and prepared correctly. Desserts are wonderful.Special Features:
- The following 378 reviews are from the Nolen Kitchen reviews archive.
- texasbalesVIPDined on 4/30/2014We had the dinner special the other night, and it was fantastic. Never had a bad meal here...ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceeluncherDined on 4/23/2014I booked a table for 4 for a birthday lunch in April 2014. We were seated promptly and the restaurant had only 4-5 tables seated. We all ordered salads. Service was slow, but salads arrived and waitress diappeared. Two of the salads had no (or very little dressing) I could not find our waitress (or anyone ) to help. Finally, I asked another waitress to bring us salad dressing - our salads were half eaten by this point. She never returned. I saw another waitress and made the same request and she did bring the dressing. However, we had nearly finished our undressed salads by this time. We never saw our waitress during this entire ordeal, but she arrived in time to bring us the bill. Very disappointing lunch!
- Good food, great pricesTonyDined on 4/22/2014The food was great and the price was even better. Spinach pie was top notch! Only down side was parking can be a little difficult. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked that place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Our party of 4 had Easter brunch and was most impressed with everything, the service, great atmosphere and outstanding food. Did I mention the prices were too good?Special Features:
- Good Variety of Food ChoicesBarbDined on 4/16/2014Best reviews were for the pork belly tacos. Other notable dishes were the bacon wrapped meatloaf, short ribs,wild mushroom pappardelle and steak and frites. Parking was very difficultSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been better...kat1Dined on 4/13/2014We've been here before, and it's been better. This was an early (5:30pm) Sunday dinner. Patio was busy, with three tables (including ours) inside. Although our server was great, service was slow. She was overworked, having to serve both inside and out. Appetizer of fried zucchini chips was excellent (recently the grand prize winner in a local "March Madness" sweet 16 of appetizers.) Food was inconsistently hot and cold on the same plate. Special entree of the evening was inaccurately described. (Fish was on a bed of pureed cauliflower with pine nuts NOT grits.) One in our party is allergic to pine nuts; this could have ended disastrously. Anyway, as stated, it's been better. Hopefully next time Nolen Kitchen will have their act together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with Friends...Shopper246Dined on 4/12/2014I went with a group of girlfriends - the cocktails were fabulous. I like their wine list as it will have a couple nontraditional options that I can explore. The food was delicious! Best of all, five of us got to sit together outside and enjoy the fabulous weather under the stars. The only complaint? Parking. Nolen Kitchen should invest in a valet service if they really want to up their game.Special Features:
- One hour waitJohnDined on 4/11/2014One hour wait with Open table reservation. Arrived to a surly attitude. 30 minute wait with a reservation stretched out to an hour. We were quickly joined by others who had reservations but ended up waiting an hour as well. Bartender was too busy to serve drinks for first ten minutes. Eventually a manager saw that the experience was declining quickly and brought us some appetizers. Poor service at the door and bar. Bring a cheerful attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ManagerSherryVIPDined on 4/5/2014My order was put in wrong by the server but when the manager brought it to the table is was like the sky was falling. The manager then put the order in wrong and tried to blame it on me. Not cool! I waited for an extra 15 min and they didnt even offer to comp a soda or take off a percentage for THEIR screwup. Not classy.Special Features:
- Not all thatEasyDinerDined on 4/4/2014They're busy Friday nights. Acoustics inside the restaurant are poor, when it gets noisy at the bar, it drowns out the dining area. Had the meatloaf dinner with bacon and black truffle (yeah right) - perfectly tasteless. My guest ordered two martinis, but convinced that they had no (or very little) alcohol in it.
- Neat take on modern AmericanFitFoodieVIPDined on 3/27/2014Cross between an American grill and a bistro, Nolen is surely a gem. The food is great and has neat combinations that are different from most places like this one. I got the kale and beet salad with salmon. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the salad was the perfect amount. We ordered the zucchini chips to start and could not have been happier. Great wine list too and they are very accommodating. Note for beer drinkers, $2 drafts on Thursday which is a plus for my group!Special Features: