NOLA oyster bar
68 Washington Street
South Norwalk, CT 06854Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
NOLA oyster bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nolact.com/
- Phone: 2039573352x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday:12.00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Kardos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant and charming dining room with chandelier and tin ceilings that can accommodate groups of up to 32.
- Private Party Contact: Manager x
A word from NOLA oyster bar
An homage to the flavor of New Orleans, Nola artfully interprets the coastal cuisine from Maine to South Carolina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
NOLA oyster bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Closed but accepting reservations?!DRW0515Dined on 2/5/2014OpenTable - I booked this weeks in advance, called and left a message with the restaurant on the day of the dinner I was hosting - only to discover it was CLOSED UNTIL APRIL when the seven of us got there!
- Not good on first visitBillDined on 2/1/2014They were out of sparking water, bud light, kettle one vodka, only had two types of oysters, took over an hour and a half to get food. We were told that they sold a lot of things the day before.There were several other mishaps. Orders were wrong, etc. Not sure they should be out of things on a Saturday night. After while waiting for our dinner, I ordered another dish to go. The dish to go go came in a brown bag before the food I odered over an hour ago. It took 45 minutes to get 12 oysters. I am not a picky person and I eat out often. This bill should have been cut in half at the very least. So many things went wrong that it was comical. Although I pass this place every day I will not return.
- Great Experience!!KsandersDined on 1/18/2014We had a great experience at Nola. Great food, great service. There were a couple hiccups through the night but the staff and manager at Nola did everything they could to make sure we were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve date nightMayaSanDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I were excited to try this new oyster bar in the Sono area of Norwalk. We loved the ambiance. It has an old school pub feeling with dark wood and large inviting bar. The two fireplaces are cozy and romantic touch. We had cocktails which were spot on and thoroughly enjoyed the seafood tower. The seafood was very fresh and the tuna crudo and mussels were prepared in tasty fashion. We also had the lobster and waffles which was something I hadn't had before, but really enjoyed. I can't wait to go back and I am glad Nola is here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve disappointmentErinDined on 12/31/2013After sitting for 29 minutes, a server came by our table and poured us water. After another ten minutes, he took our drink orders. I must report that the restaurant was only 3/4 filled and moderately busy. We ordered a seafood tower for starters - overcooked shrimp, paltry crab legs, very good tuna, mussels and oysters pretty good but not excellent. When our entrees came, my husband was brought the wrong dish. My entree small plate (Lobster and waffles) was ridiculously small for 19 dollars - about the width of a half of a slice of american cheese. The waffle was soggy and the lobster needed to be cut with a knife. A little extra customer service or even a manager check in would have gone very far for us. We will not be returning.
- Great Burger and appetizers.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013Great Burger and appetizers. Our whole table got the burger. All around great place for a weekend dinner. Would def. go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish New Orleans style foodtendervittlesDined on 12/13/2013Yeay finally a restaurant not afraid to use spices. Everything was delish and the 4 of us were very happy. Def going back. They should relocate to Stamford! Closer to me! Lobster on waffles was killer as was gumbo and kale salad and shrimp with grits.Special Features:
- Not Your Ordinary BrunchpizzazzyDined on 12/1/2013Wow what a great Brunch! The Corn Bread Waffles are out of this world good & go great with Lobster and/or Eggs. The Cabbage & Mushroom Salad was a great way to start our meal. Our server was very friendly & knowledgeable but a bit distracted even though the restaurant wasn't busy at the time. If you like Bloody Mary's there's even a toppings bar. We would DEFINETLY come back again and bring friends too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairfield county's best kept secretFoodieDined on 11/29/2013The Nola Oyster Bar is a very very good restaurant with some outstanding foods. The decor includes a couple little fireplaces which are located all around the main dinning room. They have wooden floors with dark red cozy booths. You might come here with you family for a special occasion or just to hang out with the family. Something's to look out for is the smoothly textured artichoke dip with crunchier chips to dip in the dip. Also the shrimp fried rice with mushrooms. The portabello mushroom really fit in with dish and the shrimp and rice are perfectly cooked. The service is great. The waters check on you giving you free refills of your drink. If your looking for above family sit down restaurant then this is definitely the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surf. with some turf.KurmUdgeonDined on 11/23/2013An interesting take on a N'Orleans restaurant in SoNo. All of my experiences here have been with seafood which is very good, however, on the way out, I saw someone eating a hamburger the size of a small child. I went over and asked him how it was and he said it was delicious. So, there is more then creative seafood at this place. A good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of New Orleans in NorwalkFairfieldFoodieDined on 11/17/2013Went here on a recent Sumday evening for dinner with my family. The crab fondue small plate was a perfect starter, easy to share, and very tasty. The fried chicken sandwich was good but not amazing. The scallops were delicious and the best meal ordered was the shrimp and grits. Plenty of shrimp and cooked to perfection. It had just the right amount of heat to add the kick we wanted in the dish. I'd recommend this spot for anyone looking for southern style seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster and Waffles, who knew!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013We've now been to NOLA three times. The first time was good, though the food tends to be a bit salty. The second was for drinks and the NOLA roasted oysters and brussel sprouts- both to die for. Seriously, the sprouts are like candy: sweet, savory, bacon-y goodness. This last time we started with NOLA's signature dish- lobster and waffles. I was apprehensive at first but it was the most amazing combination- so flavorful, so decadent. The drinks are always fantastic, too. Perfect for date nights and special occassions.Special Features:
- Food is good, service is fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013Food is good, service is fair. Weird thing is, it's not for lack of employees…..I would go again, but with a few changes, this could be a great place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotLaurenDined on 11/15/2013I had a wonderful experience from beginning to end at NOLA Oyster Bar. Even though we had a reservation we were greeted and seated immediately upon walking in. My boyfriend and I were on a date, and we were sat at a great table, romantic enough but not too secluded. Our waiter greeted us at a perfect time and was very attentive. He gave us just enough time to eat and chat without hovering. Food, drinks and raw bar were all amazing, with a great southern flare. As a lover of the true New Orleans & French Quarter, NOLA brought a true New Orleans feel to this restaurant. I have and would continue to recommend this restaurant to friends and family. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsScsillyDined on 11/15/2013The lobster with the waffle is just DELICIOUS! And the shrimp with grits had just the right bite. The oysters were so fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat 6PM Reservation made onMillieDined on 11/9/2013Sat 6PM Reservation made on the Internet. Confirmation Great Seated promptly Great Food Delicious Great Level of Noise When we were seated it was fine. By 6:30 it was impossible to have a conversation. Outcome: Will definitely return but at off hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced Airport RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2013This place is very typical of what is going on in So. Norwalk. Large investment in the facility and small investment in the menu. These guys serve polenta by the pound and fish by the ounce. $175 for two to eat seafood farina. I will not return.Special Features:
- I would go backDeborahDined on 11/2/2013Very tasty food. A bit weird pairing of fish on the gumbo but everything we had was pretty yummy. The crawfish risotto was excellent but so filling we had to take home a lot of the main meal. A little on the pricey side. We will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseFedHillFoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2013We were pleasantly surprised with our experience at NOLA. Great menu selections were very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wonderful/staff hit or misslauraDined on 10/18/2013This was our second visit to NOLA. We returned since we had really liked the food and the wait staff had been terrific! This visit was a bit disappointing. The food was still terrific, but the bar was incredibly noisy (it was Friday night, so I could live with that) but the restaurant wasn't particularly busy and the wait staff was incredibly distracted and difficult to keep on track. Following an order for a dozen oysters to share being placed on the table, we couldn't get anyone's attention to bring us small plates and when we had finished the oysters, the dinner came out with the appetizers, rather the having the other appetizers come to the table first. Those kinds of glitches make me less inclined to recommend the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food ok servicePapoDined on 10/12/2013Everything great but waited a while for waitress in order to get our check.Special Features:
- Delicious and uniqueFoodie3Dined on 10/4/2013Great food! Small portions, so you can try a few things Tapas-style. Everything we had was outstanding. Mostly seafood options with a southern flare. I had a great experience and would highly recommend for something a little different from the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect NOLADavenathaVIPDined on 9/13/2013Nothing I ate here would even compare to food I've had down in NOLA. Not comparing to the finer dining experiences down there, just the street food. No flavor, no spices, nothing. I wouldn't go back.
- The 4 of us enjoyed not only4ofusDined on 9/7/2013The 4 of us enjoyed not only the delicious food, friendly and attentive service but overall atmosphere despite the occasional train overhead. We appreciate receiving the cozy corner seating we requested via Open Table that was honored by Nola Oyster Bar. We'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was really good,DRKTDined on 8/31/2013The food was really good, but we didn't care for the ambience in the back of the restaurant. We actually moved back to the bar and ate our dinner there.
- Great New Orleans cuisine.ChrisMDined on 8/31/2013Great New Orleans cuisine. Scallops with celery root sauce and fried catfish with jambalaya were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously unique!murph1201Dined on 8/23/2013What a wonderful find! A bit of New Orleans in every dish- but subtle, so as to appeal to a wise variety of tastes. The service was attentive, without being overly so. The food was expertly cooked to perfection- the lobster would melt in your mouth. Lovely presentation but not too theatrical. The menu offers a wide price range of dishes- not often seen in a restaurant of this calibre. NOLA Oyster Bar is a fine dining and we plan to become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerPadreDined on 8/23/2013We were 3 for dinner my first time at NOLA last week. We had a terrific server and what I would label upscale shore cuisine. I especially liked the small plate availability. My only hesitation with NOLA is the noise level. It is clearly geared to a younger crowd. I also liked the Open Table reservation system.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first visit....AT123VIPDined on 7/29/2013We were there on Monday, July 29th and had the same salads and entrees that we had on our first visit the Monday before. Yes, they were THAT GOOD!!! Unfortunately, the quality of each dish was lacking on our second visit. My guess is that the chef was in on 7/22 due to a special group dining there that night and that, this week, he was taking a well-deserved Monday off. 'Tis important to maintain a high level of consistency with regard to food quality. We'll be back but are a bit wary about what to expect.
- Great Food & Friendly ServiceKetchDined on 7/22/2013The food was very good. We had 2 gluten free foodies with us and the chef was very flexible and gave wonderful choices. The Paella was topped with a soft shell crab.....it had a bit of spice and was chock full of goodies, not just rice! The scallops with celery puree were cooked to perfection! The sauce tasted a bit creamy. Of course the raw bar was delicious! The salads were crisps with wonderful combinations! The Bronzini was terrific as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good!dasfvxzcDined on 7/19/2013Place had great beer taps, great food and the waiter knew what he was talking about. Great Place.Special Features:
- NOLA in SONO is a YESNeilskDined on 7/19/2013Really enjoyed the way the food was prepared different at NOLA. Just creative and southern enough to appreciate hate without throwing your palate. Good variety of options on the menu, though I ended up with the burger, which was outstanding with it's variety of toppings and excellent preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!tommyDined on 7/13/2013terrific spot with outstanding service. the staff is terrific. great food and signature cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal at Nola's.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2013We enjoyed our meal at Nola's. It was an early dinner and the place was pretty quiet to start with. Our waitress, Sara, was wonderful and funny - very attentive. Just a few items to mention - the food was overall lacking salt - other than that, the food was great - very tasty. The grits were wonderful! I'm a grit-girl and these were among the best I've had in awhile (outside New Orleans). We found it odd that no bread was served during the meal. Our meal could've have used some cornbred on the side (gumbo and lobster w/waffles). Other than that, a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious Food!KatieDined on 7/5/2013Came with 3 great friends for some great food and we were not disappointed! Delicious specialty drinks and a well-thought, creative, and yummy menu! The oysters tasted like they were fresh from the ocean and the classic New Orleans twist on the food was amazing. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Nola for a specialCloudDined on 7/2/2013We went to Nola for a special occasion. The food was Very Good - some dishes were quite unique. Presentation was well put together. Our waiter was efficient. My only complaint is that I found it to be VERY PRICEY and as for the portions The "not so small plates" were indeed small and the pricing did not reflect such a small portion. The Seafood Tower was very fresh, but again, the price was ridiculously inflated. The "Entrée" portions very also on the small size and priced a little to high for our taste. The wine list seemed reasonable, but we ordered some cocktails and were surprised at the price. I would recommend this restaurant but I would make sure they know in advance price is way out of line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2013My husband and I had been waiting to see what would take up residence in this prominent space in Norwalk and were excited to try NOLA. It was not that great an experience. The food is decent but not life-changing by any means. Many of the dishes are served as small plates which the server assured us were very generous portions and, no, they are just small plates. That would be fine if there were a large enough variety, but the limited selections mean one could not really make a meal of just small plates. The other problem we had was that the space is just too loud. It may be a good stop for a drink and a snack after work, but not for an enjoyable dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot that delivered.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/25/2013Oysters were fantastic as were the other dishes that we tried, particularly the mussels. Enjoyed the whole experience and would return.Special Features:
- Good food - below average serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2013We went for a birthday celebration. The food was very good. We would definitely go back to see what else the chef is creating. The service was below average and slow. Even though the restaurant was only 50% full our waiter could not manage simple tasks. We had to get up and find him to get the check. He seemed more interested in talking to other waiters and the bar tender than getting our food. (Also we booked through Open table and added a note that this was a birthday celebration and no one made mention of that: from the people who check us in to the waiter, etc. First time this has happened with an Open table reservation)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOLA In SONOOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013My Fathers Day choice was NOLA as I noticed they offered Cobb Island oysters and shrimp with their heads on. We had never been here before and were very pleased. The menu is short , the food superb. I could go on and on but, I suggest you go and taste the Creole cooking. SHHHHHH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.