Nola on the Square
24 Market Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Nola on the Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nolaonthesquare.com/
- Phone: 412-471-9100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Saturday
Lunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch and Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Andrew Hebson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private Speakeasy accommodates up to 30 people for a sit-down dinner or up to 50 for a cocktail hour.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Scanlon 412-443-0747x
- Entertainment: A variety of Blues and Jazz bands every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00pm until 11:00pm
A word from Nola on the Square
A jammin' New Orleans Jazz Brasserie with Nouveau Creole cuisine. Wood fired specialties, frozen hurricanes, large selection of draft beer including Abita and live music three times a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Nola on the Square - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Nola on the Square reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (55)hot spot (55)great for outdoor dining (51)vibrant bar scene (44)special occasion (42)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (36)romantic (19)late-night find (19)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (10)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Went for lunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014It is always very noisy here. Took a little while before the waiter asked us about drinks. Different dishes were brought to us that were not ours, at least twice. Food was good, but not for the price. I had a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich. It came on a fairly large Italian hoagie bun with about 5 shrimp (not as big as pictured) and other condiments/toppings. I moved all the shrimp to half the bun, not a big eater so it was plenty for me. Expected more though for $14. In the end, we received the wrong check and had to wait some more to get that corrected.
- Nola is always greatHappycustomerDined on 9/15/2014I try to be a regular for lunch at Nola - I have never had a disappointing meal. We told our waiter that we needed to be quick and he took our order promptly and checked back to be sure we got out the door on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoomisDined on 9/13/2014Service was slow, server was confused at times, food was good. Server shorted my change by ten dollars and was mixed up when I brought it to her attention. Will give them one more trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great!!!NinjadaddyDined on 9/12/2014This was not my first time at Nola's, but it was a perfect example of why I keep comming back. I was waiting for a guest comming from out of town so I had to reschedule twice in the same day and they accomidated me with no hesitation. When I arrived at 9:00pm, we were seated immediately. Our server was young but very enthusiastic. Our appitiizers (gator) and drinks came out quickly. As we finished off the last of the gator our dinner came, right at the perfect time. Dessert was excellent also. The band was the perfect background playing some familiar blues hits, and last but the most important part, my guest was totally blown away. The term awesome is frequently over used but not on this night, everything was Just Great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expected to beFoodieFunDined on 9/12/2014We had heard many fantastic things about this place but based on the price of the food, the service let a lot to be desired. We were the first two people seated in the one area with many tables filling up around us, but the last to have our order taken. The food choices were high end, however the food quality was good but not steller like would be if you attended this restaurant in New York City. I did appreciate that the food choices could be altered to fit one's desires.Special Features:
- Great food and servicejeffd99Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed a lunch at NOLA. Have always had good food here, but today the service was what stood out. Waiter was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customner Service & Etiquette IssueTennille1Dined on 9/7/2014Previous Customer, first visit since the reopening. Charred burnt cobbler, and the ice cream that was not to my liking (I didn't know it had real corn in it, and lots of it). Our Beverages, appetizers, and entree's were great, as mentioned in the debate. So when we found issues that made the deserts undesirable for two guest, I don't understand why we were made to have to convince Mariah that it wasn't suitable. The benge' and sorbet that our third guest ordered was outstanding as well. We told her that too. Us falling into the eager to please trap, after the debate was over and she agreed to remove the items we then realized how flustered and offended we were about having a whole debate about both deserts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Overall, excellent experience! Great waitress with fantastic suggestions for best items on the menu. Pork tenderloin was outstanding!Special Features:
- 6burghfoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was so nice to return to NOLA for shrimp and grits. It was my first time back since the fire. The food, service (Dustin our waiter was amazing), decor, creative drinks, and all the fun of dining made my trip to NOLA's feel like I was on vacation! I promised myself to return and sample the other delicious entrees featured on the menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 9/5/2014Except for the lack of NOLA's wonderful pulled-pork --- and the extremely noisy table about 12' away --- everything was great!Special Features:
- NOLA on the squaretatertots83Dined on 8/31/2014Whenever we were strolling along downtown Pittsburgh, we came upon the Market Square and instantly wanted to come back to NOLA for dinner one evening. This place had phenomenal food and many gluten free options for those, like myself, that need to be conscious of this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusing restaurantd1sunDined on 8/29/2014Overpriced for style of restaurant though seafood very good. Am willing to pay for an experience which we did not get. Service slow for not being busy. Jazz advertised...band playing was definitely not jazz. Decor just doesn't add up. Not an awful experience just not a good one. Jambalaya decent. Shrimps and Scallops mac daddy a small portion of glorified mac & cheese. Alligator bites fine. French onion soup very good. So; dinner for 2 with 1 appetizer, 1 soup and 2 sodas in a confusing environment that feels half like an Italian restaurant playing bluesy rock music cost more than $100. We feel ripped off. I love New Orleans and really wanted this to be the experience they advertise themselves to give their patrons.Special Features:
- Awesome placeCajunDined on 8/29/2014Great band on Friday nights. It's the happening spot on Market Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good dealnlnnnnnVIPDined on 8/26/2014$1 happy hour plates. can't beat that, and quality was good. Loved their rice and red bean.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningPghFoodieDined on 8/25/2014We had a beautiful day to dine outdoors, this is a great spot for it. Market Square feels like a piazza in Europe! We ordered the fish specials, and the fish was done well, not dry or overcooked. We asked to change the sides offered with the main course, and the waiter gave us options. So we changed out the pasta for more veggies. No problem! Our waiter was very friendly without being overbearing. The staff was quick to refill water. Desserts were delicious, house-made, and we especially enjoyed the beignets with three sorbets. All-n-all a very enjoyable lunch and experience. We have visited NOLA before and will return.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Food was delicious, wait staff very attentive and the was music great!Special Features:
- Shara0730Dined on 8/22/2014Lovely night for a first date. The atmosphere, the food, and the music all made for a very beautiful evening. Definitely will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkipSkipDined on 8/22/2014Service was friendly and fast. The food was well prepared and tasty. Atmosphere brought back memories of New Orleans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a regularDowntownresidentDined on 8/21/2014By myself or with guests, this is my first choice downtown. Friendly, professional service and great-great food. Partial to the New Orleans style and love the reaction of out of town guest to the selections available and the quality of their meals.Special Features:
- Good for casual dining with friendstravelingfoodieDined on 8/21/2014NOLA has the ambience of a New Orleans restaurant, but I would like to see more classically recreated dishes, in addition to the Pittsburgh-palate and home-grown twists. I would like to see an expansion to the wine list, especially by the glass selections. The food, dessert and port were all very good, but only dessert was really memorable. I will continue to visit, as I live downtown and often eat out on week nights. Lunch over a weekend was also a very good experience and good food, good beer. The outdoor table space is a bit too crowded, and the bar area is a bit too noisy for dining, but has good ambience for after-work drinks. The bartender does a nice job with cocktails! I like the back room for meals to allow conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table and NOLA were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and good service, a truely unique venue. Depending on table locaiton it can be a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Nice to have it backRocDiningThoughtsDined on 8/20/2014Never had a bad meal at Nolas. The food is always fresh well-prepared and the presentation is fabulous always tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!CakebakerVIPDined on 8/19/2014WOW!!!! I don't hand out 5 stars to just any restaurant, my experience at NOLA was life-changing! I started with the Sangria, which I guess changes periodically. During my visit, the Sangria special was Blueberry & Basil, which I was skeptical of but it was really tastythen ordered the seafood chowder which was rich and delicious, full of crawfish, potatoes, fresh corn and topped with a generous drizzle of creme fraiche. Now on to the entree. My server Scott recommended the latter and I am so glad that he did. The Scallop and Shrimp Mac Daddy equates to a kicked up version of Mac & Cheese. OMG this dish was SO decadent. I did order dessert. The beignets were accompanied by a trio of house made sorbets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off to Univ of PittBRad4evaDined on 8/18/2014Found this excellent dining experience and made Easy reservation with OpenTable. On arrival, the interior was very appealing and inviting with nice setting on Market Square. Fried green Tomatoes and Alligator apps were very good. The MacDaddy was excellent, so I am told, she wouldn't share. The filet and pork were also excellent. Bar drinks right on. For sure the service by Michael was superb. Not quite like being in NOLA (New Orleans, La) for real but recreates some of the feel and flavor from our trip last year. A bit noisy back by open kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very happy with our choiceJazmynDined on 8/16/2014Selected this restaurant as they recently just reopened after a recent fire. My friends had never been but I had been. We loved our food, the outside seating and our service. There was live Jazz that night which was fabulous, but just a little too loud. We had a hard time ordering and talking amoungst ourselves. While we found the band entertaining, we were happy when they took a long enough break for us to chat. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of time & moneyThefooddude02Dined on 8/16/2014It takes a lot for me to say anything negative about a restaurant, but this place was a joke. Food was overpriced & tastes bad. I went here as a business owner because it was in my green apple barter network. I thought they would have treated me better because of that, but it was as if they treated me worse. I will do what I can to keep anybody I know from going here so that they do not have to deal with the same nonsense I did. This place should be ashamed of themselves
- Great foodKGirlDined on 8/16/2014The food was excellent, had the scallop and shrimp daddy Mac. The tomato flatbread with chicken was very tasty. Service was superb. Atmosphere was up beat, had a band playing. Overall wonderful time! Will be back.Special Features:
- Fair food and pushy serviceroseashDined on 8/16/2014We have had better shrimp and grits and jambalaya at restaurants that do not specialize in Cajun/creole. The fried green tomatoes were great. Also the waitress was pushy--asked three times if we were ready to order appetizers and brought dessert menu while we were still eating entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week FindDowntownCatherineDined on 8/15/2014We went for the restaurant week special menu, and weren't disappointed. The prix fixe meal included a crab cake starter (it was a good crab cake, standard but good), a beef cheek meal which I will get into more detail about, and a passion fruit creme brule (again, good, but not anything I would write home about). The entree for me put the whole meal over the top. The beef cheek was so tender, and it was served on a chorizo puree, which alone was delicious, but together they were out of this world. The shirmp and potato hash on the side was really good, as well. Definitely something that they should consider including on their regular menu!Special Features:
- NoisyBobFromAccountingDined on 8/14/2014Our waiter did the usual interruptions at the wrong times. The meal was going well until my date informed me they served her a dish she hadn't ordered, but didn't want to cause a fuss. The setting was extremely noisy. I was forced to have my date repeat herself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the updated menuEmmaDined on 8/13/2014If you haven't been to Nola since it reopened, you should definitely go especially for lunch. I am a vegetarian, so Nola was never my favorite place to go to eat, but now it seems like they have a few more options. Their lunch combos are delicious and satisfying. Just enough food to feel full but not to put you into a coma back at your desk. I love the heirloom tomato and roasted corn salad. can't get enough of it! their mushroom panini was also very good too. I love any place with an open kitchen concept... there's no hiding :) The only downside is that the service can be a bit slow at times, so if you don't have a flexible lunch schedule or can't take as much time as you need, keep that in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried it on restaurant week, was okohhimDined on 8/12/2014Headed over to NOLA for restaurant week to give it a shot. Mistakes made from the NY times 100 things restaurants shouldn't do list: - Took a long time to greet upon entry (was early with a mostly empty restaurant) - Removed my empty plate when my buddy was only half-done his - Had to ask for the prix fixe restaurant week menu while being seated, despite mentioning restaurant week in the reservation note Other Issues: - Friend requested no mushrooms, kitchen ignored, and server offered to bring a side plate so he could remove them himself - Main course appeared reheated (beef was slow cooked beef - but was semi-dried out - plated way too early??) - Crab cake appetizer was dry Positives: - Dessert was great (passion fruit creme brulee)Special Features:
- Restaurant Week SuccessbrentmanDined on 8/11/2014We visited NOLA for Pittsburgh Restaurant Week. I got the restaurant week special and my wife got the Zapp's Crusted Catfish and the Gumbo Ya-Ya. Everything was good but I must say that the catfish stole the show and was by far the best thing we had. I'd definitely recommend getting that every time. The service was good and I really enjoyed the decor and ambiance of the restaurant. It's definitely nice to know there's a touch of New Orleans here in the 'Burgh.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014We went to Nola for restaurant week, knowing we weren't going to order the tasting menu. On the tasting menu it mentioned a vegetarian entrée. When asked what it was the waitress had to ask the cook, upon her return to the table, it seemed they hadn't really thought of a vegetarian entrée. What the cook made using the base vegetables in the regular entrée and added a carrot base with asparagus. The result was delicious. Another member of our group did have the tasting menu and enjoyed her beef tongue. We also had the catfish entrée from the menu, it was enjoyed. I was not impressed with the pork itself, which was to be cooked medium and looked rare in some places, the sides were delicious. It did take awhile for our food to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekArtemis8945Dined on 8/11/2014This was my first visit to Nola. I think that I would have preferred to order off of the regular menu. The appetizer was my favorite. Crab cake and a cold bean salad. Simple, but done well. I was not a fan of the beef cheek. It had an odd texture that I wasn't familiar with. The side was decent, but nothing spectacular. At this point, ten days later I can't even remember what it was. The desert was a coconut creme brulee and had too much coconut in dessert for my tastes. I want to go back again to give it a fair chance and order off of the regular menu.Special Features:
- KingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Very good feel for New Orleans type food. Excellent service and great musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste New Orleans in PittsburghFatherandSonDiningDined on 8/9/2014High good quality for price with dining area sufficiently removed from music as to be fine background. Elegant rear dining room with attentive service and very tasty food that is well presented. Would return in an instant to try other offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceDideDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time my husband and I and we celebrating my birthday. I am glad we choose this place. The atmosphere and food was outstanding. The music was okay did not know the artist but I am not familiar with any local pittsburger jazz band. I will be coming back again with my girlfriends and husband. Thank you so much for my first experience.Special Features:
- Nola for lunchNiemsFoodDreamsDined on 8/7/2014Third time here. A little pricey but the food is really good with different palate changes. Gumbo yaya and voodoo fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creole/Cajun foodLudwikaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed the restaurant...food was tasty and service good. A nice place for casual dining. We were there for a late lunch but the dinner menu has more entrée offerings and we'd try dinner there next time.Special Features: