Nola on the Square
24 Market Square
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Nola on the Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nolaonthesquare.com/
- Phone: 412-471-9100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Saturday
Lunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch and Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Andrew Hebson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private Speakeasy accommodates up to 30 people for a sit-down dinner or up to 50 for a cocktail hour.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Scanlon 412-443-0747x
- Entertainment: A variety of Blues and Jazz bands every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00pm until 11:00pm
A word from Nola on the Square
A jammin' New Orleans Jazz Brasserie with Nouveau Creole cuisine. Wood fired specialties, frozen hurricanes, large selection of draft beer including Abita and live music three times a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nola on the Square - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Nola on the Square reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)hot spot (83)great for lunch (82)great for outdoor dining (78)vibrant bar scene (63)special occasion (62)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (52)romantic (28)late-night find (24)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (15)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Market Square Favorite!lewilhelmDined on 10/15/2014NOLA is definitely one of my favorites in Downtown for lunch. I hope to enjoy their dinner offerings, but getting in to downtown outside of the workday is often difficult. Their shrimp and grits is my absolute favorite. My mother is from Louisiana and she adores this restaraunt as well. This was my first time being to the restaraunt since the re-opening and it is as wonderful now as it was before. Thanks!Special Features:
- N.O.L.A. Means YesSwenseVIPDined on 10/14/2014Nola delivers New Orleans taste. Delicious BBQ shrimp followed by stuffed quail. And a beignet was the perfect end to a nice experience. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKymDDined on 10/14/2014Can't wait to return!! Great pre concert dinner...cultural district easy walk!!! Michael took such great care of us, amazing server!!!Special Features:
- Not the same old good Nola...PghpghDined on 10/12/2014I went to Nola several times before the fire and it was one of my favorite restaurants. This visit was my first after the reopening and to my surprise they removed al sandwiches from the menu. Prices seemed to be higher too.
- RoseDined on 10/12/2014The food is always good and has a wide variety of choices. It is good for foodies. The atmosphere is fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loudnochattingYummy4allDined on 10/11/2014slightly disappointing. we went on a Saturday night, so we should have expected live music and it being very loud. we had hoped to chat with our college kids and we ended up yelling and nodding a lot instead. service was okay, not very accommodating for substitutions and a little slow. i guess if you were on a date and hopping to not talk much and listen to music, this would be fine.
- good food, so-so environmentJustaCustomerDined on 10/10/2014If you want to hear the band, you need a table on the bar side of the restaurant - which are limited. Call and ask when you make reservations. We were on the bar side, but in the back by the kitchen so it was bright and noisy and we couldn't see or hear the band well. Just as well - I was hoping for New Orleans Jazz/Blues but the band did old rock covers. Food was very good but the atmosphere where we were didn't justify 'a la carte' pricing.
- MikeherebutnotstayingDined on 10/9/2014We had an excellent meal that started with the bbq shrimp. Although not the head on prawns you get in New Orleans, these were very tasty. I had the jambalaya - an excellent dinner, especially the sausage. My wife had the Mac Daddy - shrimp & scallops in a Mac & cheese. Another excellent choice - great flavor. The availabilty of the Ibitia Amber paired nicely with the food. Our server Mike was knowledgeable and friendly, and did a fantastic job. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceAnneDined on 10/9/2014Jason was very good..food was too :) First time a friend from San Diego had been to this part of town.Special Features:
- Great timeIamafoodaddict456Dined on 10/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed our visit here.Fast service, great waiter, a little pricey but worth it for our anniversary. The food was amazing! We tried alligator and it was so flavorful! Great scene all together. We will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nola on the SquareFXE77Dined on 10/8/2014This is the third time that I've been to Nola and the food is delicious. The wait staff is kind and polite, but it took quite a while to get the wine that was ordered. The jazz band was good from what I could hear. We were seated in the dining area and it was a little difficult to hear the band well. This was partially due to the lively crowd in the dining room and at the bar. The experience at Nola on the Square was a nice one over-all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth The Trip Downtownfoodlover3Dined on 10/5/2014If you are looking for a test of New Orleans right here is Pittsburgh, I would definitely recommend Nola on the Square. It is worth the trip to downtown. There is plenty of food and it is seasoned just right. I would suggest starting your dinning experience with an order of Fried Green Tomatoes or Gumbo soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHappyhourjunkieDined on 10/1/2014Best Spot on Market Square! Love Happy Hour from 5-7 with their half price Flatbreads, $1 bowls of delicious Gumbo, and $2 off a glass of wine:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food never disappointsfoodie4110Dined on 9/28/2014Have only eaten there twice. Both times food was great and unique. We had made this reservation for outside to show off the area to a visiting friend. When we walked up they were seating the last table available outside. I was so disappointed. We walked up to the hostess and she picked up menu and headed outside with us! We walked to the bagel shop next door and was seated at a sticky vinyl covered table with absolutely no ambiance at all. I was disappointed that we were not even asked if seating outside of the restaurant area was ok. Another couple seated in the "sticky section" got up and left. Sadly the service was poor but the food was amazing.Special Features:
- NOLA ' S epic failOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server, Sharpie, was excellent! She was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I truly enjoyed her! Despite her helpfulness, the food wasn't that appetizing. It lacked the flavors representative of authentic Creole cuisine. Despite being forewarned by natives of New Orleans, I decided to give NOLA a try. I would potentially go back again for happy hour because the drinks were good, but the only food I will probably consume will be bread and butter. During my visit, I tried the gumbo (which simply tasted like veggies on beef broth) and red beans and rice (which again had no flavor).Special Features:
- Glad they are back!PittsbarbDined on 9/27/2014We had great food, good portion size, and ate outside on a lovely Saturday night with out of town guests. My first time for dinner, have had lunch at NOLA several times. The food was very good, well prepared. I was surprised the menu seems smaller than lunch and didn't feature things like Po'boys. But that was fine with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This is my second experience at NOLA, dinner and lunch had a different feel, it was less busier for lunch which I should have ask for patio setting instead of sitting inside beacuse the weather was gorgeous that day . the waiter was friendly and the food was tasty as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualAB86Dined on 9/22/2014I have yet to have a bad experience at Nola. Easily one of my favorite restaurants in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XxxxVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great to have you back. Looks like you haven't missed a beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014My wife and I have been there a few times. Excellent food and service, and a very comfortable atmosphere. Not an inexpensive restaurant by any means. Dinner for two and a tip can easily cost $100. But the Sunday brunch is a very good deal - excellent food and quite affordable. Overall, and regardless of the time of day, Nola is a great dining experience, and an easy walk from the Cultural District.Special Features:
- Great Food - Dinner & a Show!ErinBDined on 9/20/2014Visited NOLA before going to a show on Saturday, food was fantastic! I've been to New Orleans several times - NOLA's flavor and preparation is spot on! This is my third trip to NOLA but the first time I've been seated this close to the kitchen. I'm not sure what was going on on Saturday but one of the chefs was having a fit about something...at first it was entertaining but began to border on uncomfortable as he repeatedly screamed at the kitchen staff.Special Features:
- Good food with a lot of noiseEltonQueenDined on 9/20/2014The kitchen is open and the staff in the kitchen are very loud. The food was good but if you have visited New Orleans, you may be a little disappointed, not quite up to par with what you would get there. The inside is very nice and the staff is very friendly. We'll have to go back and try some more of the menu. The Cajun chowder was really tasty. So was the seafood mac and cheese. The BBQ shrimp is nothing like what you would get in New Orleans but it was okay. If you are looking for a nice atmosphere in a great location check this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had Higher ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I was expecting more N.O. decor and less sports bar feel since the reopen- we were seated in the back (next to the server station, mind you) and it felt more cafeteria like than upscale restaurant. We both ordered drinks and shared the fried green tomatoes, which were very good. Service was ok. Our server was nice, a bit on the talkative side but overall did a fine job. I ordered the yaka mein and wasn't pleased with it at all. He ordered the filet and he loved it - said it was cooked perfectly. If you get a chance to eat outside, I would take it. The market was jumping that weekend and the weather was perfect. I probably wont go back to Nola for dinner anytime soon.
- food was averageAregularinmarketsquareVIPDined on 9/19/2014this is the third trip i have made to Nola since they reopened and i have to say the food has not been good. Service is always good but the food is just not good.
- It gets better each time I visit.KiccoleDined on 9/19/2014I'm glad the music volume was lower; people talk loud enough. I had special guests with me, so I was hoping we wouldn't fall in-between the cracks during the busy lunch hour. Service was perfect! He remembered to serve us and wasn't a pest --that's not an easy balance. The food was heavenly; there was such a wonderful variety of flavors, not just spicy hot sauce tastes. We ate off of each other's plates an enjoyed it all. Had a wonderful time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bagBuddyDined on 9/18/2014Stuck in a back table by the kitchen for a party of four including out of town guests (I guess someone has to sit there). Server was way too much. Too much talk, too much explaining things we didn't asked to be explained. While going over half the beer list she gushed about a beer that's available in every other bar in Pittsburgh as being something you don't find at many places. Too much about her and her preferences. She treated us like we knew nothing about food or drink. Were going to a Pirates game, yet we had to listen to repeated monologues from the server and then have her walk away saying "I'll give you some time" when we were ready to order. She refused to acknowledge we were under time constraints.Special Features:
- Went for lunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014It is always very noisy here. Took a little while before the waiter asked us about drinks. Different dishes were brought to us that were not ours, at least twice. Food was good, but not for the price. I had a Shrimp Po Boy sandwich. It came on a fairly large Italian hoagie bun with about 5 shrimp (not as big as pictured) and other condiments/toppings. I moved all the shrimp to half the bun, not a big eater so it was plenty for me. Expected more though for $14. In the end, we received the wrong check and had to wait some more to get that corrected.
- Nola is always greatHappycustomerDined on 9/15/2014I try to be a regular for lunch at Nola - I have never had a disappointing meal. We told our waiter that we needed to be quick and he took our order promptly and checked back to be sure we got out the door on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoomisVIPDined on 9/13/2014Service was slow, server was confused at times, food was good. Server shorted my change by ten dollars and was mixed up when I brought it to her attention. Will give them one more trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great!!!NinjadaddyDined on 9/12/2014This was not my first time at Nola's, but it was a perfect example of why I keep comming back. I was waiting for a guest comming from out of town so I had to reschedule twice in the same day and they accomidated me with no hesitation. When I arrived at 9:00pm, we were seated immediately. Our server was young but very enthusiastic. Our appitiizers (gator) and drinks came out quickly. As we finished off the last of the gator our dinner came, right at the perfect time. Dessert was excellent also. The band was the perfect background playing some familiar blues hits, and last but the most important part, my guest was totally blown away. The term awesome is frequently over used but not on this night, everything was Just Great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expected to beFoodieFunDined on 9/12/2014We had heard many fantastic things about this place but based on the price of the food, the service let a lot to be desired. We were the first two people seated in the one area with many tables filling up around us, but the last to have our order taken. The food choices were high end, however the food quality was good but not steller like would be if you attended this restaurant in New York City. I did appreciate that the food choices could be altered to fit one's desires.Special Features:
- Great food and servicejeffd99Dined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed a lunch at NOLA. Have always had good food here, but today the service was what stood out. Waiter was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customner Service & Etiquette IssueTennille1Dined on 9/7/2014Previous Customer, first visit since the reopening. Charred burnt cobbler, and the ice cream that was not to my liking (I didn't know it had real corn in it, and lots of it). Our Beverages, appetizers, and entree's were great, as mentioned in the debate. So when we found issues that made the deserts undesirable for two guest, I don't understand why we were made to have to convince Mariah that it wasn't suitable. The benge' and sorbet that our third guest ordered was outstanding as well. We told her that too. Us falling into the eager to please trap, after the debate was over and she agreed to remove the items we then realized how flustered and offended we were about having a whole debate about both deserts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Overall, excellent experience! Great waitress with fantastic suggestions for best items on the menu. Pork tenderloin was outstanding!Special Features:
- 6burghfoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was so nice to return to NOLA for shrimp and grits. It was my first time back since the fire. The food, service (Dustin our waiter was amazing), decor, creative drinks, and all the fun of dining made my trip to NOLA's feel like I was on vacation! I promised myself to return and sample the other delicious entrees featured on the menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 9/5/2014Except for the lack of NOLA's wonderful pulled-pork --- and the extremely noisy table about 12' away --- everything was great!Special Features:
- NOLA on the squaretatertots83Dined on 8/31/2014Whenever we were strolling along downtown Pittsburgh, we came upon the Market Square and instantly wanted to come back to NOLA for dinner one evening. This place had phenomenal food and many gluten free options for those, like myself, that need to be conscious of this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusing restaurantd1sunDined on 8/29/2014Overpriced for style of restaurant though seafood very good. Am willing to pay for an experience which we did not get. Service slow for not being busy. Jazz advertised...band playing was definitely not jazz. Decor just doesn't add up. Not an awful experience just not a good one. Jambalaya decent. Shrimps and Scallops mac daddy a small portion of glorified mac & cheese. Alligator bites fine. French onion soup very good. So; dinner for 2 with 1 appetizer, 1 soup and 2 sodas in a confusing environment that feels half like an Italian restaurant playing bluesy rock music cost more than $100. We feel ripped off. I love New Orleans and really wanted this to be the experience they advertise themselves to give their patrons.Special Features:
- Awesome placeCajunDined on 8/29/2014Great band on Friday nights. It's the happening spot on Market Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good dealnlnnnnnVIPDined on 8/26/2014$1 happy hour plates. can't beat that, and quality was good. Loved their rice and red bean.Special Features: