231 Franklin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://nojosf.com/
- Phone: (415) 896-4587
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 5pm-9:30pm, Monday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Wednesday & Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Takeout, Wine
A word from Nojo
Nojo is the Japanese word for farm, as in the best quality ingredients from the farms & ranches of the Bay Area. The idea is the culmination of chef/owner Greg Dunmore’s travels to Japan & his desire to bring together the best of both Izakaya (where creative & seasonal small plates are offered in a fun relaxed & lively environment) & Yakitori (grilled, tasty skewers, dipped in incredible sauces). Nojo proudly brings you both, with an emphasis on high quality ingredients & a selection of beer, wine & sake to complement any dish. At Nojo, as in Japan, staff members work together doing everything that needs to be done. It creates a communal environment that brings another level to the dining experience. The Japanese call it Kikubari. It loosely means: care, consideration & attention given to every facet of life. Kikubari defines Nojo’s cuisine & service style. The goal is to be a neighborhood restaurant where everyone works together like a family to make guests comfortable & at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nojo reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Kari77Dined on 10/26/2014Love the food. The tempura and gyoza are amazing, the black sesame ice cream is delicious. Great place and really nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Erratic service, food just ok, and ambiance was odd
- Unique, tasty grubLaytonVIPDined on 10/15/2014My wife and I went here somewhat on a whim, and it may have already made it into our top picks for SF. We ordered three salads, the trout, two chicken sticks, and their special ice cream dessert. It was all great, we'll absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious skewers plus much moreOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/13/2014Ok, that was a pretty terrific meal. I sampled several skewers and several non-skewer plates, and left with a pretty big smile on my face. There were nitpicks, sure, but the flavors were delicious, the ingredients top quality, the techniques solid, and the service friendly & apt. It's not cheap and parking stinks, but I'll be back for certain.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LesleyVIPDined on 9/28/2014Very much enjoyed the favors of all the dishes we tried. The miso soup and the rice ball were outstanding and the fried eggplant totally delicious. Looking forward to trying more of the chicken on stick dishes next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese food in the Bay Area43RavensongDined on 9/14/2014The best Japanese izakaya I have eaten at anywhere and I am a Japanese American originally from Hawaii which I still visit. The sake we had that was recommended by our server was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014Nojo was great. I've eaten here many times and it's always wonderful.Special Features:
- No Joking About NOJO - It's Da BombOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014What makes a restaurant special - a cut above the rest - is the inspiration and hard work of its owner. Greg, the owner of Nojo, has got both - and the result is magic. From the moment I started going there it was obvious that this was not going to be the usual SF restaurant. The care that Greg puts into the design of his menu and the procurement of the foods he prepares and serves is exceeded only by the careful thought and devotion that Greg puts into selecting and training a wonderful staff (several of whom have reported to me that they could not imagine working for a better boss). Hats off to NOJO.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Nojo reviews archive.