Noir Food & Wine
40 North Mentor Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91106Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Noir Food & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.noirfoodandwine.com/
- Phone: 6267957199
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Dinner Prix Fixe: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Closed During the Summer (June thru September)
Wine Bar 44: Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - closing
Wine Bar 40: Tuesday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30 pm (Happy Hours)
NOTE: Noir is closed Monday except for Private Parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Executive Claud Beltran & Chef de Cuisine Jacqueline Huynh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef Claud Beltran specializes in Wine Pairing and also has an extensive catering background.
- Private Party Facilities: Seating for a private party 24 people in the Wine Bar 44. We can seat up to 36 in our private all-weather New Orleans Square Patio. Our expert staff and celebrated chef Claud Beltran can help you with any of your party or business needs. Birthdays, Baby Showers, Bridal Showers and more . . .
- Private Party Contact: Jim Sebastian, General Manager 6267957199
- Entertainment: Occasional Jazz Trio on Sunday or Monday Evening (call for details)
- Special Events: Winemaker Dinners every month, Wine Flights & Wine Tastings, Sponsors of the "Pasadena PinotFest" held annually at the Altadena Country Club, New Years Eve Party Dining
A word from Noir Food & Wine
Executive Chef Claud Beltran & Wine Director Mike Farwell have created a restaurant and Wine Bar designed in the old world tradition with 600 wines and 50 by the glass. Small Plates with a hint of New Orleans, Provence and Barcelona. Zagat's Best Newcomer in 2011 award in the Los Angeles Guide. Wine Spectator Award for Excellence. Highly rated by the Los Angeles Times & Jonathon Gold.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Noir Food & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great foodLuv2grubVIPDined on 6/25/2013Once again Chef Claude delivers a tasty dinner. The chicken with potatoes. And brussels sprouts was very earthy. We also had the cod , beet salad and spme nice wine.Special Features:
- Wonderful all around!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2013Had dinner at Noir for the 1st time and it was a real treat. Service was outstanding; the food good and interesting. We chose to start with a selection of 6 cheeses and mixed olives. Wow. Very good. Had a wonderful chardonnay -- Tolosa (?) and then a flight of Pinot Noir. We then split the BLT salad, the Shrimp Diane and the lamb chops. Excellent excellent excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wild boar chili verdeTi5mVIPDined on 6/16/2013The wild boar chili verde was every bit as good on the plate as it looked on the menu online. Portions were on the small side- think tapas, not entrees. The wine list is thin in places, but covers the menu. Do not look for values on the wine list, but there are some nice older wines. Once we developed a rapport, service was quite good. If you like Parisian wine bar posters, you will love the decor, too. Otherwise, ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant in PasadenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013Noir is a truly great restaurant. They have a choice of excellent cheeses for appetizers. The atmosphere outside if great (inside not so sure). Wonderful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2013Everyone who works there was amazingly attentive. The food was fabulous and decadent.. I loved my dish....but was stealing pieces of my boyfriends pork loin. The outside dining area is very quaint and romantic. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pasadena eateryLillyVIPDined on 6/7/2013Great food and service in an intimate setting. We have been here several times and the food is always consistently good and fresh. We are always greeted by the manager and introduced to the restaurant for those who have not been in our party. Dining in the garden patio is very nice and beautiful especially on a warm summer night. The service is very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGeorgeDined on 6/1/2013It was my partner's birthday and we went here knowing the wine would be excellent and everything else suitable. The wine was excellent but everything else was as well--pretty much a perfect evening. I should add that we are rather analytical people and think about what we are eating and drinking. The service was great also, and the server made great wine recommendations but also knew about the the food, since we asked what was in most of it and he knew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding As AlwaysMarkInLAVIPDined on 5/22/2013Seems like I've taken every one from my office to Noir. All of them agree, sitting out on the patio during lunch is a great way to forget work and enjoy some great food, excellent service and peaceful patio. Everyone should visit soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thought the food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2013We thought the food was excellent although I miss the "small "plates. I gather Claude Beltran has moved on. I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and Cheese HeaventhunderhoundDined on 5/17/2013Great selection of smooth and tasty wines and cheeses. Perfect if you're looking to stimulate the palate with exotic flavors and scents. I recommend the affordable wine flights and cheese platters. By comparison, though, my party found dinner not as exciting. I tried filet mignon, medium-rare, but it was overcooked, and the rest of my companions felt their meals were OK at best. Noir Bistro is great for quick, late-night, light-fare. However, save your appetite for elsewhere.Special Features:
- Tranquil and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/15/2013What a beautiful patio setting surrounded by lush greenery for seclusion and the waterfall is definitely a nice touch. My husband and I came here Wednesday night just moments after they opened for dinner and within 1/2 hr the back patio seating was nearly full, so glad we made reservation. I ordered the blue nose bass and my husband had the shrimp and scallop both items were tasty and the presentation is superb. The waiter Roderick is very professional and polite, not much of a talker though which was totally okay with us since the place has such a romantic appeal. The apple and blueberry cobbler was a nice finish to a perfect meal. I would come back here in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- New find on the blockOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2013The restaurant is in a quiet street in Pasadena and took over from Scampi, also a good restaurant which sadly closed. The items on the menu were interesting and very good-the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts were excellent, the scallops also very good-grilled well and on a crisp salad. The pork chop with sauce and bacon fried rice was an great combination (without the pickled onions-would have preferred them lightly fried or grilled). The steak salad looked like it needed some zest! The Bananas Foster dessert that we shared could have been better with pecans which could have been roasted and crisp instead of the limp ones we ate. I will try the bar for their wine selection and feast on the cauliflower next time!Special Features:
- Noir is great!kariotakiDined on 5/7/2013This place was great for a couple of friends to catch up. Quiet, nice lunch menu and great service. The only down side is street parking is difficult in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy restaurant with a wineibbyDined on 5/5/2013Cozy restaurant with a wine bar with excellent service and a chef that is always trying something new. The $40 4-course prix-fixe Sunday night dinner is a good deal. Although a couple things on the menu were actually not available, the substitutions were preferable! The always available gumbo is well balanced and extremely rich!Special Features:
- I'll be back!VLMRDined on 5/3/2013I cherish each bite of the exquisite burger (literally, the best I've ever had); and unique bufala mozarella/tomato salad (very cold bufala mozarella married to a grilled tomato--the tastes are lovely, but the contrast between hot and cold is brilliant!) . Even the grilled zuchhini was a trasure, lightly spiced and perfectly cooked--grilled but still just crisp enough. The waiter, at our request, introduced us to a new French wine--again just right for price point ($36) and taste--not as sharp as a Sancerre; not as heavy as a chardonnay, but not light like a pino grigio. Their wine variety and knowledge is one of their pride and joys. Obviously I'm a new fan, my luncheon guest was equally delighted. Did I mention desert?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brandon was our server/bartender.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Brandon was our server/bartender. He was excellent. The kitchen was closed, but since we had a reaervation and it was a special occasion, they opened the kitchen back up for us. I was there on a date with my lovely lady and we both had a great time. I had chicken she had steak both were delicious.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceDrlippiDined on 4/28/2013I have had many dinners at Noir, from just me and my wife up to large groups and I have always had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening in one ofLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 4/27/2013Enjoyable evening in one of the smaller & quiet dining room. The service was good & attentive. The food was good but nothing really stood out for me.Special Features:
- One of our favorite spotsDogloverDined on 4/27/2013One of our favorite spots to take friends and family. Their cheese plates are yummy and I like all the small plates to share. Sorry but I don't recommend the gumbo. The lamb and pork are exceptional as is all the fish dishes. The wine list has never disappointed us always unusual and exceptional Love this little gem. Had a party for my husband there once for my husband and they made us feel like royalty!Special Features:
- Admit it -We love fat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013Few of us admit to loving pork fat. Not me. The pork belly is a fat lover's dream. Crispy, chewy, meaty, and of course juicy, warm fat! The fingerling potatoes were magnificent, and bacon fried rice was outstanding. The Parmesan cauliflower was a wonderful surprise. Skip the burger. The Sauvignon flight was a delight as well.Special Features:
- Service seemed slow. ReturnedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Service seemed slow. Returned food because it was uncooked. Another dinner was overcooked. Been there before with better results.
- We were treated very rudelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/22/2013We were treated very rudely from the minute we sat down on the patio. The waiter was extremely arrogant and condescending. I asked a question about the wine flights and he interrupted and said "give me your voucher and then we'll talk about the menu". When we did discuss the wines, he said they were out of the specific Pinot Noirs so Malbec was substituted. There was no caring if we would be ok with Malbec and no substitution was allowed for a different Pinot Noir. We were supposed to have cheese or charcuterie, but without asking which we wanted he brought cheese which my husband cannot eat. When we asked why, he said very rudely, that's what we're serving. We ordered dinner after and it was the same rude treatment.
- Curates Egg - Good in many partsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013A really good restaurant that on this visit reduced the overall standard by lack of attention to a number of small items. We were a party of four and we had the bass and the lamb which was just wonderful, so full of flavor and tender. A great French bordeuax complimented the lamb to perfection. The service, a delayed side order of roasted brussel sprouts and the coffee was not so good and took the shine of an otherwise great meal. To be fair the delay in bring the sprouts was noticed by the management and deducted from the bill. If the attention to detail was picked up on this would be a 4/5 star place. Given all of this we love the Noir and its proximity to the great Boston Court TheaterSpecial Features:
- We sat on the patio, but itOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2013We sat on the patio, but it was very noisy. A lot of tables packed together and a transparent but hard plastic roofing that definitely deflected the noise downward. Probably will not choose this patio again. Food and service were very good although I had the smallest glass of wine ever seen for $12.00.Special Features:
- I've always enjoyed Noir andEAB1VIPDined on 4/16/2013I've always enjoyed Noir and it is one of the few places left that is truly quiet enough to talk with your dining companion even when they are full. Usually the food is very good, with fresh and unique combinations. However, on this visit my entrée was much too salty for my taste, and my companion was not impressed with the French press coffee served lukewarm and with a tiny pitcher of milk, not even half and half. The staff are very good, perhaps even a little over-attentive at times.Special Features:
- They just changed their menuOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/13/2013They just changed their menu to a more conventional. Their previous tapas style menu was better. The service was poor. We Waite 30 minutes for our appetizer and 45 minutes for our entree. We had tickets to the theater so we couldn't have desertSpecial Features:
- Great food. A little disorganized.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Great food. A little disorganized. I am a huge fan of dining and eating slow but I felt forgotten at times. Overall fun place with great upscale food. Best of all its moderately priced. There is something for everyone to enjoy of the menu and wine list. Meat temperatures were slightly off but not enough to ruin the meal. Will dine there again.Special Features:
- Romantic SurprisefuntoeatoutVIPDined on 4/13/2013Pasadena is not usually a place we frequent. Having tickets for The Pasadena Playhouse on a Saturday allowed me to look into some eateries in the area. This was a 10 minute walk and worlds away from the bustle of Colorado Blvd. The garden was wonderful and the food and service was very good. The menu is very "foodie" but sharing is the way to go. The wine list was terrific and our server was helpful with explaining the varied menu. I would return for sure.Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Food is tasty but overpriced. Cheese list is limited and rather tame. I found some delicious wines in the flight I ordered. Service was very friendly.
- Needed some patienceilovelaVIPDined on 3/30/2013We hit Noir on what must have been a bad night. The kitchen seemed backed up. We ordered a flight + cheese plate. Wine came. 15 minutes later the cheese arrived. I knew we were in for trouble when a nearby table experienced the same with their entrees. My wife's dinner came out 10 minutes before mine. She was nearly done and I was just starting. Food tasted great but too little too late.Special Features:
- Have been eating at this littleTraveldivaVIPDined on 3/26/2013Have been eating at this little gem of a restaurant from since they opened and this is the first time I have felt the food has not lived up to expectations and since "things" can happen we will surely give it another try. The back garden is lovely and now that they have entree size portions on the menu it is much more appealing than having to order appetizer portions. They have an incredible selection of wines at reasonable pricing and of course you are welcome to bring your own bottle and pay a corkage. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- They do a great job at beingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013They do a great job at being a restaurant. Simply put.Special Features:
- The 3 course cuisine createdBKeushDined on 3/20/2013The 3 course cuisine created by Chef Jacqueline was outstanding. The best ever for lunch! I thought the main course was a bit too salty for my taste, though. The restaurant managers are lacking in their decorating skills. The outdoor furniture needs some upgrading. The upholstered seats on most of the chairs were faded and too shabby to be chic. I would return for the food and wine and overlook the shabbiness.Special Features:
- VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2013We came here to celebrate my husband's birthday and were so glad we went. Everything was perfect from the amuse buche to the dessert. The wine flights were generous and delicious. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- The environment was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2013The environment was perfect for our 30th wedding anniversary. The two of us wanted to experience a new restaurant that was quiet and intimate with a menu we had not experience. The waiter was very, very attentive to our needs and he really made the meal. I would return.Special Features:
- Worth the ExpenseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2013The food was worth the expense, very high quality and delicious. Great service, especially since we were only one of a few guests there that night. Nice ambiance with suiting music. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- Will try againLadydi7VIPDined on 3/2/2013We enjoyed our dinner, ordering a variety of appetizers to be shared and that was very enjoyable. However we were seated next to a couple who had a screaming baby which certainly spoiled our evening. The couple would take turns taking him outside but each time they brought him back he started screaming again. Impossible fir us to talk or hear over the noise. Will try Noir again of course, but this night was difficult!Special Features:
- Noir has improved a lot sinceglenneuroVIPDined on 2/25/2013Noir has improved a lot since my last visit over 2 years ago. An inventive up to date menu,an extensive wine list and a pleasant room made for an enjoyable meal. Service was friendly , pleasant and appropriate. It is open on Mondays and I recommend it. Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Always enjoy coming here.babsDined on 2/23/2013Always enjoy coming here. The wine selection is outstanding and the food is amazing. Knowledgeable staff to help with the selection of the wine..Another wonderful evening.Special Features:
- We had been to Noir many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013We had been to Noir many times, but this time it seemed like they increased the prices. Now every main course is about $25, which was a surprise. The white wine (chardonnay) flight was also mediocre, without any wine standing out. At the end our check was more expensive than we had ever paid at Noir, due to the higher prices for main courses. I don't think we will be back.Special Features: