842 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://noche-mexicana.com/
- Phone: (212) 662-6900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Rodolfo Fuentes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: Corner of 101st Street
- Public Transit: Traveling by train train 1 to 103rd street and broadway walk down to 101st street and broadway turn east to Amsterdam avenue, we are in the corner of 101st street and Amsterdam avenue. By bus, bus m11, m7 on uptown route to 100 street and Amsterdam avenue.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Noche Mexicana
Welcome to Noche Mexicana Restaurant. Our food is from Guerrero, a Southwestern state of Mexico. We are from a town known as Tlapa de Comomfort Guerrero, also known as the heart of the mountain in Guerrero. Our recipes have been passed on from our grandparents to our parents and our parents to us. We try our best to keep our recipes as original as possible, so we can give you a taste of the culinary flavor from the heart of the Guerrero Mountains. On our menu you will find from traditional snacks such as tacos, tostadas, sopes, etc; to the more authentic regional dishes, such as pipian de pollo [pumpkin seed sauce with chicken], chileajo de puerco [guahillo chili sauce with pork chops], or the traditional mole poblano with chicken . We have shrimp Mexican style [shrimp with sautéed onions, tomatoes and fresh jalapenos], camarones a la diabla [sautéed shrimp with chipotle sauce]. We have homemade flan; horchata and jamaica drinks. YOU ARE INVITED TO TASTE A PIECE OF MEXICO.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Noche Mexicana reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance2.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- So disappointed we desertedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014We arrived for our dinner and ordered classic margaritas. They arrived along with the habitual chips and salsa. The chips didn't taste fresh, may have come from a bag; the salsa wasn't anything special; the drink forced us out the door! We looked at the food served to the table next to us and weren't impressed. Nothing special, not worth putting any money down towards. We were looking forward to this "authentic Mexican" family-run experience and had to go somewhere else to find it.
- Extensive real Mexican menuClassicStageGroupieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Maybe there is too much on the menu for this smallish restaurant. Good cold Mexican beer and decent sangria. We ordered the mixed platter, which included a good variety of treats. The mole rojo pork chops were very thin and tough, I'd rather have one good pork chop than two thin over cooked chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingchefmecheVIPDined on 1/3/2014The service was pleasant and accommodating and the unfortunate store-bought chips were accompanied by a wonderful tomatillo salsa. But it was downhill from there. Chicken in the enchiladas was dry and the chile relleno was disgraceful. The cheese filling was nowhere near melted--ice cold as a matter of fact. The tortillas were of the supermarket variety. Perhaps they were having an off night but the excellent reviews led me to expect much better.
- authentic mexicanHilaryDined on 12/31/2013Some of my family members are from Mexico and they feel that the food at Noche Mexicana is authentic Mexican cuisine. The price is very reasonable and the portions are generous. A great neighborhood place for the upperwest side.Special Features:
- Margaritas were good!LeeBVIPDined on 11/29/2013Prices are reasonable but they should be. The atmosphere is not at all appealing and the food was just ok. May go back to try the regional specialties which are hard to find on the back page of the menu.
- A true findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2013Really good food at reasonable prices. In addition to the standard American Mexican restaurant offerings, there are more original options for you to try. Definitely worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was actually prettyJeffreyVIPDined on 6/17/2013The food was actually pretty good Mexican. But, the service was slow and disorganized; this wasn't the waitress fault though as there was only one for the entire restaurant. One waitress, dinner rush, 20 tables...Special Features:
- Service was almost surly,dianemdVIPDined on 5/31/2013Service was almost surly, wait staff did not know what I meant when I said I had made a reservation, took a VERY long time to get food which was medicore at best
- Neighborly & FriendlySolangeDined on 5/27/2013Sweet neighborhood restaurant. Friendly service. Food good. Leisurely, so not the place if your time is limited. Enjoyable expérience.Special Features:
- Good basic food, no thrills thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/16/2013Kitchen would benefit from learning to use spices. Food was good (though my burrito came on a cold side), but lacking spices crosses this place from my list of "dinner with friends" and moves to list of "quick lunch alone".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/16/2013It is a pleasant, small, building's corner place with lots of light and forthcoming waitresses. Chef is skillful in Mexican food, though it lacks a spice(s) punch one could expect, thus making it fit for general public it addresses. Def great for hearty lunch/brunch alone or as quick meal, but not so much for a long, food enjoying dinner with foodie friends.
- The food was hearty and tasty,econoinkerVIPDined on 2/16/2013The food was hearty and tasty, but nothing special. However, the prices were low and the servings large; given this, the place is a good deal.
- Why cook?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/9/2013It was very good but it's always good. It's colorful, consistent & reasonably priced. Why cook when you can eat here for less? And no, I'm not their mother!Special Features:
- Friendly place, with delciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Friendly place, with delcious food. I especailly like the mole poblano/ dark mole with chocolate in it!, not available many places! JTSpecial Features:
- Cutting out the middle manOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012The restaurant was great. Open table, however, not so great. The restaurant didn't even have my reservation on file. So next time I will just contact the restaurant directly to make a reservation.
- Chiles Rellenos, NOT!PonchoDined on 10/2/2012The service was ploddingly slow and we had to remind our server several times about our beverages. The chiles rellenos, which were touted as the best in town were, in my opinion, among the worst I've ever eaten. The peppers were not roasted and peeled but hard and rubbery, the cheese was like a mass of gluten, and the sauce was thin and uninspired. It did not settle my month-long craving for chiles rellenos and I will not go back there nor will I recommend the place to others.
- Food was quite good, our serverdebski22VIPDined on 9/14/2012Food was quite good, our server disappeared, did not bring us our mixed drink, and never returned. Someone brought us our food, which was tasty.
- Authentic mexican food atOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2012Authentic mexican food at the right price. Guacamole is really good. Good neighborhood place to pop in for a cheap meal.Special Features:
- Salsa for the table and guacamoletheplatoguyVIPDined on 8/2/2012Salsa for the table and guacamole were pretty good, but the three entrees we shared - which had interesting names and descriptions - were underwhelming in taste.
- not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012It seemed more like a quick take out spot from the neighborhood. Not what I was expecting, not somwhere I would go for dinner. The margaritas are made with some frozen overly sweetened fruit and you can taste the refrigerator burn.Special Features:
- This is the home-style MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2012This is the home-style Mexican menu. The tamales are obviously hand-made, just as the kids do for a holiday dinner.Special Features:
- The best deal in townOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/13/2012Noche is one of the best values in New York. The cuisine is superb and absolutely authentic, and the setting is pleasant It is our favorite restaurants and we are tough critics.Special Features:
- Guac. Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/9/2012Food and service were very good. The guacamole was SUPERB!! Not the best margaritas though. Much much too sweet!!
- You could definitely tellOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/1/2012You could definitely tell it was "authentic", in that the restaurant is clearly owned and operated by someone Mexican, or a Mexican family. The food was OK. Not fantastic. Not as tasty as we perhaps wanted. But a nice place to have a relatively inexpensive dinner, if you're OK with the plain decor.Special Features:
- We went for an after-workOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2012We went for an after-work dinner with colleagues on a Thursday night. The staff had no problems accommodating our party of 10. The food was delicious, possibly the best mexican food I have had on the upper west side and really affordable on a grad student budget.Special Features: