Nob Hill Grille
969 Hyde Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Nob Hill Grille
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nobhillgrille.com/
- Phone: (415) 474-5985
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly 5:00pm-10:00pm Brunch: Sa-Su 8:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Fabio Stefani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Nob Hill Grille
We believe in feeding people as we like to be fed - amply and with excellent food. The small plate phenomenon is over and we want to welcome you to the new era of "Can I have that boxed up?" We're looking for a combo of high quality meats and produce, well-executed and beautifully presented meals, great bang for the buck and a neighborly vibe with owner-operators who love to chat. We hope to see you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Nob Hill Grille - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Nob Hill Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (22)romantic (11)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Solid Comfort FoodyummersVIPDined on 11/21/2014I really enjoyed the pot pie, though it was more of a stew with a puff pastry square on top. The "filling" was well balanced with a bit of bacon, and lots of chicken, and veggies. The Old MacDonald burger was also very flavorful. It was a solid dinner in a relaxed atmosphere. Not a lot of choices on the menu, but our small sampling was executed very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantFlowerDined on 11/20/2014We had an excellent meal complete with great service. Portions were large and served piping hot. The only downside was our table was close to the entrance of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pasta an place ambientOscarDined on 11/14/2014Most valuable are the chefs! Pasta was great aswell as the ambient. Quite Good for going with friends or with your partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nob hill GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2014Great neighborhood place, great food. If I lived around here it would be a once a week thing! We had the hamburger and roasted chicken. Both outstanding in taste and presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but was oilyonnobhillDined on 11/14/2014I ordered the filet of sole special, and my date ordered the chicken dish. Each one, while delicious, was very oily. My sole was in a little pool of what looked like clarified butter, and the chicken dish also had copious amounts. After the meal, we ordered tea and coffee. The tea was served in a juice glass, which made it difficult to drink until it cooled down, and I had to wait about 5 minutes for my coffee since they did not have a pot brewing. I would come back and try the other dishes on the menu, but I will definitely ask them about less-oil optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious casual spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food was great, casual but gourmet. Definitely would recommend going here for a good casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night with great food!WineNDineDined on 11/6/2014Started with the burrata - delicious! We both had burgers and were very pleased.Special Features:
- Decent casual diningjonnybrunoDined on 11/1/2014I ordered the burger and spinach dip to start. The spinach dip was different than I had had in the past, not quite what I prefer but the rest of the table enjoyed. I ordered my burger medium rare, it came out medium to medium well. Thankfully the bone marrow on it made up for the missing grease / juice. Overall delicious burger that somehow stayed together well with all of the toppings. Price is high on burgers after toppings, but pretty tasty.Special Features:
- AverageIBsommVIPDined on 10/15/2014Basic diner fare. Would I go back? Sure, if I was hungry. Nothing to recommend, nothing to complain about, apart from the distinct lack of enthusiasm by the manager!
- Cold food, unaccomadatingLaloveDined on 10/10/2014Great service and the waitress was very attentive. However, the main entree I ordered was served not luke warm but actually cold. I was shocked that a supposed "neighborhood gem" at their price point would not have monitored their food for quality prior to serving. Additionally when I asked to substitute one of the sides on my dish the waitress just glared and said we can't substitue for that particular item...not sure why and she did not offer anything else to be submitted. After she glared at me for an awkward amount of time, I reluctantly accepted the dish as the chef prepares it. Despite the main course being unappetizing the appetizer of macaroni was delicious, yet I will not be back.Special Features:
- Reasonable and goodLive2eatVIPDined on 10/8/2014Nice little neighborhood find in Nob Hill. Short walk from our hotel on Geary. Very small and warm with limited seating so I would definitely not go with a group larger than four. Very limited menu but everything is done right. They specialize in comfort food so if you're looking for low calorie meal probably not the place for you. I found the prices to be extremely reasonable for SF. I will definitely return and would highly recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Great findMadtownersDined on 9/14/2014Very good food and wine. Great little find. I went here with a group of six people and everyone love everything we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nob Hill RestaurantSimonDevchef1Dined on 9/12/2014As a visitor to San Fransisco from England and as a Development Director of a chilled food company eating out is something I not only love but something I do as part of my job, so hunting down quality restaurants sits high in my priorities and my dining experience at Nob Hill Grill certainly didn't let me down. A great local beer after a 30 minute walk to the restaurant certainly hit the spot as did the Pot Roast Chicken and most impressively the sweet potato fries which were as good as I've had. Service from the two ladies was superb as was my wife's Mac Cheese and Agrulla salad. So far this trip I've had some great meals and am looking forward for a few more and Nob Hill certainly didn't break my winning streakSpecial Features:
- Date night gemMagsDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful little gem in nob hill. Wonderful food start to finish. Service a bit lax bit overall a great place for a cozy romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NonnaDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful neighborhood spot! Will definitely return here the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried this on a San Fran vacaBaRGaiNHuNTeRVIPDined on 8/17/20144 of us went here during a San Francisco vacation. Food was great and even for a Sunday late night, customers were still coming in left and right. I didn't love my duck confit special, but my salad/sweet potato fries were tasty, and I tasted other entrees in our group which were also de-lish. Overall, great experience ... I would return if/when I go back to San Fran.Special Features:
- Good food, Ok service, bad neighborOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was good but their was confusion with our reservation. I changed the time through OT mobile app and received the confirmation of the change but when showed up to restaurant was told we were a no show. I showed the server the email showing we pushed the reservation back. Service was a little slow but our dinner was ruined by the family of tourists fighting next to us. All the tables were very close together so we had ring side seats for this. I get it is not the restaurants fault but it was a damper on the evening.Special Features:
- Surprised!thehonestfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Nob Hill Grille does not look like a great restaurant on the outside, but never judge a book by its cover. The food was really great! Portions were very generous and everything was very well prepared. The only issue is that the restaurant is quite small, so be sure to make reservations in advance. Service can be slow at times due to the high demand and only two servers. They are very efficient and good at what they do considering the size of the restaurant and volume of people it must seat. Appetizers: Spinach and Artichoke dip -incredible, the house tortillas were such a treat Entrees: Pasta special - this was amazing, very good not too creamy. Chicken Pot Pie - delicious. Burgers were good and huge. The short ribs were also done well!Special Features:
- Understated but very good foodhaj1309Dined on 8/11/2014A limited menu, but this is a small restaurant. What they do, they do very well indeed. We loved our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found this gem by luckJeffLuvs2eatDined on 8/11/2014Coming from Australia, this was a nice little find. Looks small from the front, but seats many. Food is simple but tasty and the wine list is awesome. Staff were friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Corner on the HillmerxDined on 8/3/2014Food and wait staff were outstanding! Very small restaurant, nothing fancy, just perfect for what we were looking for, and everyone (5 of us) thoroughly enjoyed the delicious fare. Would recommend in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Love, Love, Love this place!ns8ciblDined on 8/2/2014Found this place on OpenTable and SOOOO happy I did! This restaurant is small in size but is HUGE on providing excellent food and service!!! My partner and I shared (and highly recommend) the Macaroni & Cheese with bacon and the Spinach Artichoke Dip appetizers. We also fully enjoyed the Short Ribs and Pot Pie entrees! MMMMmmmmmm! SOOOO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014Nice neighborhood place. Our family of 5 enjoyed a stroll from our rented flat. We were looking for something other than Italian or Asian food and this was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Nob Hill Grille reviews archive.
- inviting food and atmospheretime2dineDined on 7/11/2014Came here for the first time after work across the street.we tried the bone marrow and liked it! I had salmon which was so good with a sweet and fresh baby kale and mashed pots all cooked and seasoned to my liking. Hubby had the pot pie which was a hit. Desserts were also very good. We had the carrot cake and chocolate pudding. Definitely will return for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBsdpmDined on 7/9/2014This place is amazing. It does not have a large menu but the food on the menu is exceptionally done. The risotto was great. The pot pie was fantastic and my sea bass was delicious. The chocolate pudding was perfect. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint Neighborhood FindOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/8/2014The food was terrific and the service was personable, friendly and excellent. The restaurant is situated in a more locals part of Nob Hill. It is small and simple. If you are looking for glitter and flash you will not find it here. The menu is not extensive but does have a daily fish and pasta dish. We would definitely return. We brought our 9 year old daughter and she loved her menu choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Find!!!WonderfulVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is an amazing neighborhood find in Nob Hill. We are visiting the city and read some reviews and decided to try it. The food, service and prices were great we sincerely enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Average dining servicevielzDined on 6/10/2014We ordered arugula salad, sweet potato fries and bone marrow. The sweet potato fries was delicious, the other two were average. For the main course, we ordered the chicken pot pie, braised short ribs and unapologetic burger. The chicken pot pie and braised short rib were kind of salty. The burger was good. Service was average, but it is ok.Special Features:
- Reliable and DeliciousSFDinerDined on 6/7/2014I love the Nob Hill Grille. Their food is simple and delicious, their restaurant is quaint and a good size, and their staff are friendly and welcoming. I had the scallops special, served over mushroom risotto, and my girlfriend had the pot-pie. Both were amazingly delicious. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findEatMVDined on 5/25/2014This reservation was a shot in the dark ... but sometimes you just get lucky ... and we were lucky with Nob Hill Grille.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nob Hill GrilleLesthepressVIPDined on 5/22/2014Basically we were disappointed with our dining experice. We sat in the 1st room, next to the counter. There was a constant loud banging or pots and dishes. The items were carelessly thrown around and the sound was very loud and totally distracting for a decent dining experience. Also, my order was not served as requested and had to be sent back. The food was fair at best. We will not be going back.
- Our favorite local placeRasputkidVIPDined on 5/13/2014Great food always. It is our go to place and has low corkage so we go frequently. highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood delightElobFlowDined on 5/10/2014Simple menu, delicious food, attentive service in a local, comfortable setting. We were very pleased with the experience and would recommend it for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- jxjl0425VIPDined on 5/5/2014Cute place - great comfort food - not too fancy but very good overallSpecial Features:
- Group DinnerCWannerVIPDined on 4/24/2014Took 6 friends to Nob Hill Grille for monthly group dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the beer and wine options, service and quality of food were excellent. Great Neighborhood spot! They have a great 3 course pre-fixe menu for $31, and the corkage fee was only $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nob hill grilleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2014We tried this restaurant because we had a two-year-old with us and wanted a kid friendly place. Usually kid friendly places don't have the best food, but this restaurant had great food. We were all very happy and we had no problem with our child.Special Features:
- Nob Hill GrillHealthfoodnutDined on 4/21/2014My husband and I spent the third and last night of our business trip in San Francisco at the Nob Hill Grill. The first two night's restaurants were exceptional so we had high expectations, and we were not disappointed. The menu was not extensive, however it seemed to have an assortment that would offer something's for everyone. We both ordered the fish of the day (it was swordfish) which was cooked nicely. The only thing I would have changed with my meal would have been to swap out the white rice served as part of the dish for something more interesting, say, quinoa salad or polenta done in an imaginative way.Special Features:
- Great small place47mongDined on 4/21/2014Really nice spot to get dinner. The menu is pretty limited, but everything we ate was great! I would go back!Special Features:
- Great Local SpotCWannerVIPDined on 4/2/2014Great little neighborhood gem! Menu is not expansive, but everything they make is fantastic. Have a mid-week 3 course deal for $31, with great options. Only a $12 corkage fee too! Great date spot or group dinner w friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablefoodisloveDined on 3/16/2014Thought the burgers were very good, the other food just good and the dessert was meh. I'd go back again, but I'd stick with just the burger menu and I skip the dessert.