NO VA Kitchen & Bar
87 Rainey Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
NO VA Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.novaonrainey.com/
- Phone: 5123825651x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday: 6:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Brad Sorenson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for any inquiries about our catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats up to 12 people. It has a large screen LCD TV with HDMI ports and can be sealed off from the main restaurant space.
- Private Party Contact: Connie Molby 5122701969
A word from NO VA Kitchen & Bar
NO VA is a Spanish phrase meaning "It doesn't go." The modern two story building that now houses NO VA Kitchen & Bar is a striking contrast to the historic buildings on Rainey Street. The menu offers home-spun twists on sophisticated classics. Chef Brad Sorenson combines his culinary talents with his love of making people making people smile to deliver adventurous, yet approachable dishes that will appeal to the eclectic palates of Rainey Street residents and frequenters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
NO VA Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
NO VA Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)hot spot (32)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (24)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (22)special occasion (22)romantic (18)late-night find (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- No Va is awesome!GirlsNightOut8Dined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed a fun night & great food & drinks for my friends' birthday celebration. The service was top notch! And Chef Brad came to our table to deliver a dish and returned to make sure we were happy. I am going back again soon and taking my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant but just okay FoodweijiaofdeathDined on 9/2/2014Came here on a Tuesday night for a dinner with a Friend. The restaurant is nicely designed with a downstairs bar area and upstairs dining area. There were a lot of chairs set up outside in a cute little courtyard which would be great once the weather calms down. The server was very attentive. Unfortunately the food was disappointing. We ordered 5-6 dishes to share, between small and medium plates. The grilled asparagus was good, potato croquettes that came with it was excellent. The watermelon salad was just okay, same for the Salmon ceviche. The two medium size dishes we got were the tamale gnocchi with braised beef, and the albondingas with pork belly. They were average, both too salty for my taste. Definitely need to work on their food.Special Features:
- Terrific FoodMainleboVIPDined on 8/23/2014Chef Brad and his staff are amazing. I find their service and approach refreshing in that they are friendly and knowledgable, which is not always the case with restaraunts of this calaber. the menu is very approachable and we can always find something very good to eat. The mixologist is second to none. the Moscow Mule and Pimm Cup are the best in town, without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Va Anniversary dinnergvrbaVIPDined on 8/23/2014This visit to No Va was to help them celebrate their first anniversary. The menu was special for the occasion, with several smaller plates of delights that No Va featured over the past year. The craft cocktail specials were creative and refreshing. Service was excellent, and we enjoyed the table visit by the chef. All in all, another great experience at this great Rainey Street restaurant.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food, drinks, atmosphere and service were all outstanding. The pork/bacon mac and cheese are a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!DiningmomDined on 8/21/2014We stopped in to celebrate the 1st year anniversary and were delighted to see the special throw back menu. All my favorites from past seasonal menus were there. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cheeseburger Tartar! We also tried some of the cocktails and my friend got the Lo' Daddy and he loved it. I tried the Distinguished Kentucky Gentleman that they are serving for the anniversary. It was FANTASTIC!!! Things were hopping around the restaurant but the service was excellent. I recommend this spot for folks who want a great night on hip Rainey Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RvacanDined on 8/9/2014The food is fantastic but the bar service is painfully slow.
- Love it...wish it weren't so loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014delicious food; unique cocktails; great decor. but, very loud...hard to have a conversation - best to not have a first date here...maybe a 2nd or 3rd date though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOAT CHEESE!StephanieADined on 8/2/2014Had a wonderful evening at NoVA last Saturday night with two girlfriends. We asked if they could make a spicy margarita (not on the menu) and they did and they were delicious! The goat cheese appetizer was HUGE. Like easily a half pound of cheese. Very very tasty! The ceviche was tasty and refreshing and the pork dish was incredible as well. I would definitely recommend NoVa to a friend. I hope to go back soon and try more dishes. (Beware of goat cheese app, while very good it's so much food you may not leave room for more)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, trendy settingamg522VIPDined on 7/25/2014We loved our trip to No Va and highly recommend it. They have wonderful small plate options, so it's an awesome place to go with a large group. Great location on Rainey Street, so perfect for groups to go to bars after. Mike was our waiter -- he was AMAZING! We had the grilled watermelon salad, Mac and cheese and slow braised pork for dinner and the blueberry donuts for dessert. Food was great. Only bad part of the night was the drinks -- our mojitos and Moscow mules were both very bad. Other than that, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchNovicefoodieDined on 7/25/2014From the moment we arrived we were treating like royalty. Really made this special going away dinner a memorable one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NO VA has it all...TexGatorVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great location on Rainey, in a really cool modern venue, great service and, of course, great food that is designed to share. My first trip here and I loved it! Will be back! The Chef /GM, Brad, was making rounds to make sure everyone was happy.Special Features:
- Great Datepimento13Dined on 7/19/2014Recommended by a friend, was told the grilled watermelon salad was the best ever. Went in, saw the menu, got easily distracted. The head chef and general manager came to greet us, checked in on our dining experience. Excellent drinks, well-rounded meals, we'll be sure to go again. Located in an area with lots of restaurants around, but NO VA pays special attention to their ambiance and presentation and it shows. Good location, only a 10 minute walk from lively night scene. Make a reservation, I've heard this place fills up Friday and Saturday like you wouldn't believe! Good music playing, interesting architecture, very clean and well-groomed.Special Features:
- Private party roomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Everything we had was incredible. They have really amazing (fun!) cocktails, too. If you have a small private party (maybe 8-15 ish) they have a really cool private room that you can have open to the restaurant, or closed off for a private dinner/event.Special Features:
- Voy a volver a NoVa!CentraliteDined on 7/5/2014Excellent food, fun couples night out, cool spot! Fun place to share a bunch of small plates with a group to try everything.Special Features:
- Loved No VaBerkleeMomDined on 6/28/2014Looking for a new place to try with out of town friends with teens. Booked a table @ NoVa because they have Mac & Cheese, sliders, & pizza + a creative, seasonal menu. Plus, I'm a vegetarian and my friends are meat eaters. The menu had plenty of vegetarian items. I absolutely LOVED the grilled watermelon salad & fried cauliflower. The teens had pizza, mac & Cheese, & the salmon - which they scarfed. My friends had the salmon and the veggie pizza. I snuck a piece of the veggie pizza, and it was great. Very inventive. It featured baby kale, pureed summer squash, and avocado - a combination that I'd never have thought of but that worked terrifically! Only one negative & not NoVa's fault - parking on Rainey is a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NO VA means- No GoMAVTDined on 6/22/2014"No Va" translates in Spanish as "no go". It is a fitting name for this place, do not go! I will say that the ambiance was wonderful and the neighborhood of Rainey Street is charming in itself. However, the food and service were not up to par. The brunch menue was well written and thought out but the execution and food preparation was not so good, just average at best. The service was SLOW (20 mins for coffee) and the staff was arrogant and not attentive. I hoped for a great brunch but will not try again.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014We finally got a date night alone from our11 week old and 3 year old. We live in cedar park so we don't get to to go to all of the great spots as much as we would like. This place was recommended to us by some friends and one of them helped with the interior design. Food was amazing and our server, B, was awesome. We will definitely recommend and go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointinghorns9397Dined on 6/15/2014Just not a great experience. They had unveiled a new menu and didn't seem prepared. I was familiar with the old menu which honestly seemed better but am trying not to judge them on that. It was more just a failure of execution. The food was not prepared as described on the menu. The waitress couldn't recommend a dish and disappeared for long periods of time.
- Good food, so so serviceRosieATXVIPDined on 6/13/2014Our recent trip to No Va was disappointing...the food was excellent and so were the drinks that we ordered but our waitress didn't know what liquors were in 1/2 of the drinks on the menu. She couldn't explain them to me, so ended up ordering a basic cocktail. Sad because I really like to try new cocktails but I prefer to know what flavors are in them. She also didn't understand what gluten is. Rare to find wait staff at a high end restaurant who doesn't know the menu backwards and forwards as well as having knowledge of common food allergies. For the prices I would have expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LouddeliciousVIPDined on 6/7/2014good food, a little over priced for Austin, good service, noise level was ridiculous! Couldn't hear my dinner date and we were sit right across from one another. People were screaming above the chatter in the upstairs dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!ThomVDined on 6/6/2014Dined at Nova with out of town guests and it was a hit. Food exceeded expectations and the service was excellent, The chef came to our table which was a nice touch. Since there were only three entrees on the menu we opted for the small and shared plates. So glad we did. We were a party of 5 and shared 8 or 9 plates and it was more than enough food and we got to try many different things. The gnocchi with braised short rib was delicious as were the Abondigas as well as the fried cauliflower and grilled watermelon salad. The decor is modern and architectural- I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the NO VA Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- Wonderful new restaraunt!LonghornEaterVIPDined on 5/18/2014We went for a Sunday brunch and it was FANTASTIC. The food was delicious and the service was great. We had the egg sandwich, bread pudding toast and blueberry donut holes, all of them were incredible!Special Features:
- Foodie FrenzieBetsyg1231Dined on 5/17/2014With so many choices on Rainey Street, don't let this one get lost in the shuffle! The food is spectacular --- tremendous flavors and creativity; and several small plates which makes for great sharing. The desserts are out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High praiseWillisDined on 5/15/2014We made a reservation about 30 min before we arrived, it was semi-busy, but a lot of people were scrambling, most notably the chef/owner, Brad Sorenson. But it was all to accommodate everyone that came through the door. Had a party of 6, mostly people that had never been to NO VA before. Fantastic wine and cocktail selection, the Lo' Daddy is dominant. The food excelled. From the salmon ceviche, to the incredible sliders and the best Mac N Cheese anyone has ever had, w/bacon that didn't fall away in the cream sauce and jalapenos (or serranos) that were equally as potent, but overwhelmingly vibrant. Chef Brad took the time to take care of us and blow us away as he talked about our experience with us. This was awesome.Special Features:
- YummyFoodloverDined on 5/15/2014Ceviche, tamale gnocchi and albondigas!! Great upstairs patio seating with a view of Rainey. Also, great drinks and the staff and chef were awesome and really wanted us to enjoy our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/14/2014Food was ok, nothing to rave about, service was ok too, a bit slow...I don't think its a good value.Special Features:
- Highly recommend; a new favorite!!browneyedgirl23Dined on 5/13/2014Great attention to detail. Skilled and knowledgable staff. All ingredients are high quality and dishes are well composed. Diverse selection to suite all dietary needs in menus for both bar food and dinner. Well crafted cocktails with premier ingredients. Chef Sorenson demonstrates impeccable skill in the kitchen and his passion shows in his dishes and interaction with customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!BouldinFamilyDined on 5/11/2014We had a fantastic Mothers Day Brunch with our 9 month old.Special Features:
- Amazing experience!gwaltersDined on 5/3/2014The decor of NO VA Kitchen & Bar is modern and welcoming. We sat outside and the atmosphere was just great. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone was really nice and helpful. The food was insanely good and going to NOVA was the highlight of my weekend. Everything was fresh and delicious. We tried quite a few different plates and each dish was memorable. I can't wait to go back and try more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014I went here for a girls night and really enjoyed myself. The set up is great and every one of the staff I encountered was friendly and welcoming. The food was good and I really enjoyed myself.Special Features:
- Great Food / Great ServiceBKurthDined on 5/2/2014Our server, Mike, was simply awesome -- great service. We enjoyed a pasta dish, the brussel sprouts and a salad. Wonderful. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Brunchsweep613VIPDined on 4/27/2014I took my parents to brunch and we sat on the upstairs deck. Everyone loved their food (sweet potato hash, mac n cheese, pasta carbonara, bacon and eggs, side salads with parmesan and mustard dressing, egg sandwich) and a couple of us really enjoyed the grapefruit mimosas. Overall a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Bar fine. Don't dine.IdonotcookVIPDined on 4/26/2014Been to the bar. It was enjoyable. Went for dinner this time. The acoustics are so bad upstairs we couldn't hear the waitress much less each other. Food was okay. Service was terrible. Waitress acted like she wanted to be anywhere but there. Would go to the bar again but would not recommend dining unless changes are made.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014Awesome food! Definitely recommend. Noise level is deafening as the acoustics are not good and have to speak very loudly to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for girls or date nightmbm1990Dined on 4/11/2014finally made my way to No Va. i couldn't have meat but enjoyed several vegan dishes! the waitress was very accommodating with my group's somewhat indecisive drink orders. don't normally drink sangria but this one was fantastic! not too sweet. all the other drink options looked great and i look forward to going to try the others at the fun bar downstairs! whipped goat cheese + brussels 2 ways. MY WORD! melt in your mouth. i couldn't eat the bacon bread but they brought out cucumbers and it was delicious. the brussels jam was out of this world! i ordered the cauliflower kale risotto and was pleased that the kale came crispy on top! couldn't eat the whole dish after appetizers but took it home for the next day! get the donuts for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.