Nizza La Bella
825 San Pablo Ave
Albany, CA 94706Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Nizza La Bella
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nizzalabella.com/
- Phone: 5105262552
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch/Lunch/ Saturday and Sunday 11:00 AM - 3:00PM Slunch; 3:00 to 5:00 PM Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Eleanor Triboletti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: July 14th Bastille Day Celebration
Beaujolais Nouveau on the Third Thursday of November
March 17--Nizza La Bella's Birthday--Fun and Our Very Own Tradition:
the Jameson Shot
A word from Nizza La Bella
Nizza La Bella is a casual, reasonably priced, neighborhood bistro that features the lively French and Italian Riviera inspired cuisine of the city of Nice. We serve simple rustic style comfort food in a relaxed and intimate traditional French Bistro ambiance. The heart of our restaurant is the kitchen's massive imported French wood-fired oven, where pizzas, roasts, seafood, fish, gratins, desserts and hearth breads emerge from its fire-lit glow. The zinc top bar is the convivial center of the restaurant offering artisan cocktails, aperitifs, spirits, cordials, wines and beers. Our cozy dining room seats 40 with additional seats at the bar. We can accommodate most small to mid-size parties and larger parties upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Nizza La Bella - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Nizza La Bella reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great for diner w/ our Cal student!dinersoutruleDined on 10/10/2014Visiting from Atlanta for Berkeley Parents Weekend and wanted to find a nice casual place with great food and unrushed service so we could enjoy our time with our son. Nizza La Bella fit the bill to a T. I had the French Onion Soup and a few slices of the scrumptious Le Grande Bouffe pizza. My son had the the Pasta Boulettes with meatballs - hubby had the Bouillabaisse - We all liked our dinners - the wine (a yummy Ca red - don't know the name) was one of 2 the bartender offered me to sample and a great choice; the service was appropriate and attentive and did not for a second make us feel rushed. We left full and happy - will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the fencegardenpeopleVIPDined on 10/3/2014We've been customers of Nizza La Bella for many years, and visit every few months for dinner on Friday. At our last visit- happy with the diverse menu- standard items plus some interesting specials. We both ordered the burger and starter salads. Salads very fresh. Beef was very high quality, though heavily salted. Overall impression: prices: up, service: down, and $22 for corkage: outrageous, particularly considering their low to mid grade wine list.
- DrJackVIPDined on 9/26/2014We come here for the pizza, which is excellent. It's a cozy neighborhood joint with a bistro menu.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014This is a neighborhood gem that you can always depend on.Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingnorthberkeleyDined on 9/18/2014We love this restaurant. It's got a great ambience, excellent service and terrific food. The atmosphere is relaxed but elegant, but not so stuffy that you would be uncomfortable brining your children to the restaurant. Excellent bar with great drinks, and an attentive, professional staff.Special Features:
- Was a favoriteRRSmith999Dined on 9/14/2014Been going to Nizza for years but recently their prices went up - a lot. Unfortunately, what was good comfort food at reasonable prices in a casual atmosphere has become a pricey nite out which, if I wanted to spend that kind of money, there's a lot better food and wine and ambience out there. I realize restaurants are challenged, but sometimes raising prices is not the answer.Special Features:
- Great experience at Nizza la BellaOKdinerDined on 9/6/2014We tried Nizza la Bella for the first time and were very pleased with the experience. Some of the food was outstanding (pizza, mushrooms) and the rest was good. Our server (Emily) was wonderful, attentive, generous, thoughtful, gracious. We will definitely go back to try more from the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed an excellent weekend lunch/brunch -- delicious food, attentive service, and quiet enough to carry on an engaging conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Food was great but the service was very poor. They must had been really short because it took a while to get serviced. Waiter had a very flat affect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better bar than foodOmnivoreDined on 8/26/2014I've always liked the "idea" of Nizza Bella" more than the reality. But sometimes I'm in the mood for the idea.The mussels were very good this visit-juicy, flavorful. The frittes-quickly mushy and soggy. The apple galette was not a galette. It was a tortilla shaped piece of flavorless pastry that had the gooey/flabby texture of a "microwaved" pastry. Service-it was a quiet Tuesday night, but our waiter was often among the missing. Also seemed uniformed about the menu and food in general. I so wish this cute neighborhood spot could execute it's wisely limited menu with a bit more precision. Or just be as good as the bar. I'd be there several times/monthI would recommend this to a friend.
- Taking a trip to Nice, Franceserve2allVIPDined on 8/22/2014No need for a passport. This place brings you to the French Riviera if you choose your dishes correctly. Onion Soup, boulabais, unusual take on Cesar salad combined with bistro ambiance and easy to get to locale....here is the place for you. Here for many years. dedicated following. Reasonably priced. Next time we will be trying the famous steak/frite and others rave about their huge hamburger with a Frech flair. Full bar. My Martini did what it needed to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, BUT WEIRD BEER SELECTIONOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014The food is decent, slightly overpriced, and the service is good, but I have a complaint about the beers. They're all esoteric, expensive beers I've never even heard of. All I want is a good solid amber ale like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and they don't even have it, or anything reasonably close. Serving exotic beers is fine, but you have to have the basic ones, too.
- whatafindDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious. We were a party of three and had the French onion soup, mussels and frites and steak frites. For dessert the mousse, apple tart and sundae. I would recommend all. The service by Carlos was most welcoming and attentive. I would highly recommend this delightful neighborhood restaurant. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely neighborhood restaurantfoodiefriendDined on 7/10/2014great food, great service and ambiance. very accommodating to a gluten free diner as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable neighborhood cafeNickDined on 7/5/2014A friendly neighborhood restaurant. Food is always good and prices are reasonable. Very limited,but good wine choices. Desserts are good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently topsfps7VIPDined on 7/5/2014the food and staff are always a pleasure...we feel at home.. except for having to pay..:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great servicebayareaprofessionalVIPDined on 7/4/2014friendly relaxed atmosphere belies the overall quality of the food - the platter for fire-roasted vegetables, the Bouillabaisse and the steak frites were standoutsSpecial Features:
- Great food, service and ambianceNicaDined on 7/2/2014I discovered this place shortly after I moved to the area and I return over and over again, especially for the fabulous mussels they serve. They offer 2 styles: the traditional white wine/garlic and a spicy tomato broth. Order some crispy 'frites' to go with the mussels, get a carafe of wine and oh what a meal! They have a nice assortment of wines available and, in addition to the usual glass or bottle, they offer carafes and half carafes too. Three of us shared 2 dinner sized plates of mussels in white wine and 1 appetizer size plate of the spicy tomato base mussels. A 4th person in our party raved about her hamburger. Try the spinach salad too. A great neighborhood eatery -- casual with great food and service and no blaring music!Special Features:
- Where the neighbors gathermysteryfoodDined on 6/28/2014This is a reliable neighborhood restaurant with good salads, pizza and steak frites. Full bar, small but good wine list. Nothing fancy but always good.Special Features:
- The following 217 reviews are from the Nizza La Bella reviews archive.
- Always GREAT!JulesVIPDined on 6/12/2014Another wonderful meal at one of my FAVE neighborhood spots! I seem to always meet interesting folks dining next to me. Tonight was no different. Families celebrating graduation...all in all a great meal. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Our family of five adults descended on Nizza La Bella at noon on Mothers Day, reservation in hand. The place was pretty busy with most tables full. We had to wait 10 minutes for our table. The interior is visually attractive - a French Bistro with vivid colors, mirrors and chalk menus. Seating is mostly bar, small cafe tables and 4 person booths. Our wait person was charming and attentive. Our food arrived quickly just after our cocktails and wine. Most dishes served were excellent. Highlights were the Steak Frite cooked to perfection, the large portion Mista salad with tasty unusual dressing, The Hemmingway Cocktail and the superior desserts. I will return for a intimate casual dinner with drinks.Special Features:
- Better Late than BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014All our previous meals were in the evening. The atmosphere warm, cocktails made superbly, and meals outstanding, with excellent service. So, it was somewhat of a disappointment that our Mother's Day brunch was not up to those standards. The one thing we wanted was quiet, which we got, as the place was empty for the first 30 minutes.The service---well, he obviuosly didn't know how to multi-atsk and was not terribly gracious, The food was just ok...must be the 2nd team cooking, and slow in arriving. We wanted a special occasion for our 93 year old aunt, and therefore disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply great food and service!LoveThisPlaceDined on 5/9/2014We just love Nizza! Always wonderful food. Always good, friendly service.Special Features:
- Cozy local spotmariseDined on 4/26/2014Has a great bistro feel--small and not too noisy. Prices reasonable, portions ample, good salads inlcuding caesar and nicoise; steak/frites transport you back to Paris. It's unpretentious -- not quite a "foodie" place, which is why I like it as a regular dinner haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nizza Just Gets Better! Love it!LoveThisPlaceDined on 4/23/2014My wife and I sometimes go to Nizza twice a week. That's how much we love it. Great food, of course. Wonderful, friendly, attentive staff. And the best Caesar salad on the planet -- called Anchoiade.Special Features:
- A good cozy dinnerVendrediDined on 4/11/2014Had a good time, the food was great, lovely bottle,of wine....a perfect Friday night place after a long week of work. Excellent prices. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Pizza in a Provencal restaurant.DrJackVIPDined on 4/5/2014Pizza in a Provencal restaurant. We come here for the pizza: thin crust, many choices. Inexpensive, tasty wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had not been to Nizza La BellaSusieDined on 3/26/2014Had not been to Nizza La Bella in quite a while and we were glad to see that the food and service are still very good. Always enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:
- Our favorite local restaurantLoveThisPlaceDined on 3/21/2014Great food served by the nicest staff you will find anywhere. This small, cozy restaurant feels like you are in a European bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, friendly service lagsbconcertgoerDined on 3/15/2014We had a pleasant experience and enjoyed the food, but our waiter delivered our drinks and walked away without taking our order. I assumed another guy was our waiter and finally got HIS attention, and he said, let me tell your waiter. So we were there almost 30 minutes before placing our order. Thankfully, our food came quickly, and we made our concert on time.Special Features:
- Nizza La BellaTaheriVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food and service is always very good. We discovered this place a couple of months ago, and have been back several times. It is now our first choice for spontaneous dinners out, and we drive 15 miles to get here.Special Features:
- Nizza la BellaPapayaMichalDined on 3/8/2014I thought if we made a reservation we would get a better table. There were only two of us and they had 4 booths open. They gave us a small table back by the kitchen. The booths never filled up the whole time we were there. I would have liked a little more consideration since they had a lot of open booths.I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of a Really Good Thing!1greatcookDined on 2/28/2014La Nizza Bella on San Pablo in Albany CA is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. Dining there is like being transported to a European bistro--actually a cross between French and Italian. For me it is always fabulous mussels, great nicoise salad, and excellent pizza. They also have a small, but very well-priced, selection of good wines. I keep going back again and again with small groups of friends. Everyone who joins me is more than happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nizza La BellaTaheriVIPDined on 2/22/2014What a great find! The food and service were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we are (fairly) regularsfps7VIPDined on 2/17/2014this is a great place with fine service and good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeeat2liveDined on 2/15/2014Have been to Nizza la Bella a number of times, and have always come away happy. Charming, cozy atmosphere and good food, like a favorite local bistro somewhere on the mediterranean coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good, but not "haute".steveDined on 2/14/2014food was good, but not "haute". Love the french ambiance and neighborhood combination. As noted by other reviewers they seem insensitive to taking and serving people in a fair way. awe waited awhile and had reservations, but others were seated and served before us who arrived later. asubtracts from a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hearty Food!.AlbanyDadDined on 2/14/2014Great Hearty Food!. Wow! Spaghetti with Meatballs was reminicent of trip in Florence, Italy. The pasta with manila clams was soulful and plentiful as well as the mussels with aoli and fritters was a definite hit with the wife. The crust of the pizza lombardi was not up to par - I prefer it to be a little more crisp, but the topping met my expectation when I eyed it across another table. The booths gave a little more privacy which was good since we came on Valentines Day - so the restaurant was packed when we got there at 8PM. Will definitely come back on a more relaxed evening other than Valentines Day to try other dishes on our next visit .Special Features:
- great foodPatchesDined on 2/14/2014From the exterior, I was a little bit concerned about this restaurant, as I'd found it online and it only had 3.5 stars. My experience was a solid 4 stars. The food was great -- nothing fancy or presented with a designer's eye, but the flavors were great, the textures of the food (mussels, pizza and bouillabase) were great, and portions were generous. It was crowded and the "crowd" there seemed mostly neighborhood folks and older than I, but at the end of the day...it's all about the meal, and I enjoyed it a great deal :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonehillDined on 2/14/2014Food is fair; could be a lot better, and probably would be except that the menu has about 50 items on it; more than the kitchen can be expected to prepare carefully. I would like it better if there were perhaps 8 items, carefully chosen (pizza is another subject) which could be fresh, carefully prepared, and flavorful; my partner's fettucine with shrimp was tasteless; my duck was not well cooked (some parts were almost overdone, some were almost raw).Special Features: