10 Center Street
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nixstencenter.com/
- Phone: (978) 462-6652
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday through Saturday - 11:30am - 5pm / Sunday 10:30 - 5pm
Dinner:Sunday 5:00pm- 9:00pm / Monday 5pm - 9:00pm / Tuesday & Wednesday- 5pm - 9pm / Thursday through Saturday - 5pm -10pm
Late Night Menu in the Pub
Thursday, Friday Saturday 10pm-Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Beau Marchitelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Phil McGowan Jazz Quartet - 4 Piece Jazz featuring some of Boston's best Jazz players - Wednesdays 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Special Events: 5 for $5 Specials:
Mondays | 10 oz. Angus Burgers
Tuesdays | $5 specialty flatbreads
Wednesdays | $1 Oysters and Live Jazz 7pm-10pm
Thursdays | $5 Potato Gnocchi Saute
Fridays | Cast Iron Mac n' Cheese
Sunday Brunch Buffet starting Sunday, February 10th - offered from 10am - 2pm - Offering a select buffet and endless mimosa bar
A word from Nix's Newburyport
Newburyport's Landmark Tavern. Nixs Newburyport makes it simple to get together with friends for Lunch or Dinner, serving dishes that are easy to share and easy to enjoy! Also offering NFL Sunday Ticket, Weekday Specials, and Private Event Space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nix's Newburyport reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Nix is a WinnerHungry1Dined on 11/22/2014My wife and I were curious about this new restaurant which replaced one of our favorites, the well-know 10 Center Street in Newburyport. Nix did not disappoint. The food was terririfc (appetizers and main course) and the service was outstanding. If you travel to Newburyport which has plenty of fine restaurants to choose from, do yourself a favor an try Nix's. It is a great place for a romantic dinner (two gas fireplaces) and is reasonably priced. A top-notch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Nix" on NixOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014W waited a couple of months to see if the problems in earlier reviews were solved. But, no. Atmosphere, ruined...Not modern, not rustic. Too many TV's downstairs! Prices were expensive. Burgers and dessert although $$$$$ were good. VERY noisy. When we asked for a quiet table upon reserving, the manager said "we're a busy restaurant, we turn over a lot of tables"! Not very friendly! Not very busy on a Saturday night though... Everyone in our party said they were disappointed, and would not go back.
- Must try in Newburyport!o2o55Dined on 11/13/2014The food and service is excellent. Amazing pork belly sliders, fresh raw bar items, great to see neighborhood restaurant carry local craft brews. I have been for dinner, lunch, and some Sunday football action and it is always a great experience. Fantastic venue to host events as well. Friends of mine held a rehearsal dinner in their private dining room and everyone loved it. Can't wait to watch the Pats game there tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New spot in town!tryingNewplacesDined on 11/13/2014We went for dinner for the first time on Thursday night. We had a few cocktails in the pub and then moved upstairs for dinner. We LOVED the food, the steak frites was delicious and cooked perfectly. My favorite was the zeppoles for dessert. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodLindatopsDined on 11/5/2014We only had a drink and a salad. Not many people there.. so we didn't feel like staying for a long dinner. Will come back on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingdinerouter54Dined on 10/24/2014Nix's took over the space that had been occupied by Ten Center St for decades. Ten Center had the look and feel of a colonial tavern and tried, w/varying success, to be a fine-dining establishment. Nix's ripped out nearly all the vestiges of colonial character, whitewashed the walls in the pub & bleached the floorboards. There is no color or decoration; nothing gives the upstairs or downstairs bars & dining areas any character at all, & the noise level is horrific. The menu is north of a pub menu, south of a fine-dining menu - i.e., it also has no character. It's nothing specific in its type & style of cooking. The bright spot was a pleasant and helpful waitress.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014We had a group dine there over the weekend, to say we could barely hear each other was an understatement. This is the 3rd time I've been there and again, the acoustics are terrible. We were there for dinner on a Saturday night at 8 PM and were seated next to a couple with a baby....again the service was PAINFULLY slow!Special Features:
- Nixs NewburyportNorthShorefoodieDined on 10/18/201410 Center Street is now Nixs Newburyport-- menu has been downgraded quite a bit from 10 Center menu. Much more casual menu with many moderately priced items that are more bar type entrees then typical restaurant. The menu actually reminded me of the Black Cow a bit more. Its just very loud in there, making it hard to have a conversation with the people at the table. Great place to go if you are looking for a loud/vibrant bar scene. I wouldn't recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedPlumIslandGalDined on 10/17/2014I was looking forward to a new restaurant, sadly it wasn't what I expected. I understand that when a restaurant is new it has to work out all the kinks but it wasn't just one thing, it was the whole experience. There wasn't much done to the interior space. Waiter was friendly and drinks were pretty good but one appetizer came out missing two of the main ingredients and it took quite some time to fix. I had oysters for my appetizer and they were great. Dinner was just okay but nothing very exciting to me on the dinner menu. My husband felt the same way and got a burger. No real big issues, but I didn't walk away wanting to go back anytime soon. Probably will try it again after a couple of months so see if they worked out those kinks..
- Used to be my favorite2wyldedogsDined on 10/11/2014Previously, this was Ten Center St. The menu was creative and very high quality. Now under new ownership, the menu is no where near as good. It is now more like regular pub fare featuring chicken wings, burgers and food like that. We were there on a Saturday night, which can be busy. Service was definitely not as good as we used to have there. We are sad for the loss of our favorite place and likely will not be going back.
- Not for meTheAmbientDinerDined on 10/6/2014It's the ambience that is gone from the building-they painted the cozy dark brick white, took away the booths by the fireplace and replaced them with tables and chairs, added high tops and television screens. Just b/c there are tv's doesn't make it a sports bar. Is that what they were going for? This used to be a cozy, quiet spot to relax, chat, eat and drink . Now it has little personality. They changed the one room that was so great and left the bleak upstairs dining room alone-the area that SHOULD have been remodeled. Food fine and service was good. What a shame.
- No one was thereasc0638VIPDined on 10/5/2014We arrived at our reservation time and waited 10 minutes for someone to seat us, we left. The downstairs bar was very noisy and TVs were blasting out the sound. What happened to the cosy pub that was here before...I guess it died with the transfer of ownership.
- Great first experienceTlodineDined on 10/4/2014The food and cocktails were on point. We started with Tater Tots and they were excellent, followed by the Filet special. We both ordered the special and the meat was cooked as asked for both of us. The server was clearly new. She could not give a recommendation off the cocktail menu when asked. She also didn't know what or how to pronounce au gratin, the side dish for the special. Overall we could overlook that knowing the restaurant is new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way to loud..loudDined on 9/27/2014Very Loud. They really should put some sound absorbing materials in. Tried the crab stuffed tater tots, they were good My daughter had the fish tacos app for her meal. She said they were excellent. My 9 year old daughter had kids pasta and sauce. It came in a cup. At least the same cup that my wife got her chowder in. The sauce was watery. My wife had chowder, which was very decent. I make at least 4 different chowders, so I know a good one when I have it. It had a wine base I think and had a strong bacon taste. She also had salmon. good says her! I had the NY strip. I can honestly say, it was the best piece of steak I have had in several months of eating out. I ordered the smokey mac and cheese and it was not creamy. Needs to be creamy.Special Features:
- The following 514 reviews are from the Nix's Newburyport reviews archive.
- Changing OwnershipOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The restaurant is about to change ownership so it is impossible to know what to expect i the future. We had a pleasant meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Newburyport gem!DPCPDined on 7/18/2014One of the best restaurants in Newburyport. The food and service were both top-notch. Prices were typical for a nice restaurant. We've eaten her both indoors and outdoors, with no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chichiDined on 7/10/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance offered in the pub. We have been going to 10 Center Street for about 30 years when we are in town.Special Features:
- DisappointingClclDined on 7/8/2014Empty restaurant. Poor service. Very slow, inattentive. Food overpriced for very average fare. Great ambiance in upstairs room but will not go back.
- Very nice experienceluv2dineDined on 7/6/2014This was my first time at 10 Center Street, but it won't be my last. We went there for a late lunch and sat outside, which was very nice. We had appetizers and salads, both of which were really outstanding. And the warm chocolate chip cookie (and dough) with ice cream was huge (the two of us couldn't finish it) and amazing. I look forward to visiting 10 Center Street again soon and checking out their dinner menu (and indulging in another cookie. :-) ).Special Features:
- Almost a hit...ARNIEDined on 6/28/2014Good ambiance for a bar/pub kind of place. We were fearful as we sat down to our very unbalanced table, and the waiter addressed the table next to us telling us that they were out of their third beer choice. Our drinks were fine, but so was the small stream of liquid that trailed on the floor as the waiter delivered them to us. My wife had ravioli with an excellent sauce; I opted for a house nice salad and flatbread, also quite tasty. No recognition that we had reserved as a birthday celebration. The waiter did all in his power to provide good service, but he missed a bit on the personality because he was running ragged in a short-staffed environment. I wouldn't make this a top destination, but I'd be happy to return.Special Features:
- Quiet dinner for TwomoebacDined on 6/27/2014Planned a quiet dinner for myself and DH. We sat outside on the patio; it is next to a parking lot but the view is partially blocked by trees and plantings. Being so close to the trees there were some annoying bugs flying about. We ordered a cheese plate as an appetizer but shortly after it arrived our entrees were also served. I had the lobster & scallop risotto and DH had wasabi tuna with a rice cake. Risotto was good but had more of a rice consistency then I've tasted before. Tuna steak was very good. The best part of the meal was the desserts. I had the skillet cookie which was delicious and much bigger than expected. DH had medium rare chocolate cake which was also very good. We would go back but probably eat inside next time.Special Features:
- DinnerPapjasVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great time. Our waitress was Summer and she was exceptional. Ask for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantFiskeDined on 6/21/2014We went to dinner Saturday evening with another couple and had an excellent experience. All of our entrees were excellent. We started with oysters which were fresh, clean and delicious. One person ordered the lobster bisque, again outstanding. The service was perfect, not overwhelming but just right. It appeared as though we had two servers responsible for our table, which meant we never needed to wait for anything. We recommend you make a reservation as the place was jamming, using Open Table was very easy and efficient. We sometimes eat it the downstairs bar and have always been pleased with our experience.Special Features:
- Worth coming back fordorymanDined on 6/15/2014Had two large family gatherings at the restaurant on their patio. Nice setting, good space for kids and service was excellent. Good choices on the menu and food was well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked awayFoodieDined on 6/8/201410 Center is a great little spot off the beaten path in Newburyport with excellent service and fantastic food and free parking in a lot, although it was crowded that day due to a function. I would definitely go back again! The hostess and service were outstanding.Special Features:
- Romantic and elegant.DerekmarDined on 6/7/2014I have always been happy with my experiences at 10 Center Street. It is a top-notch restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NbptmomDined on 6/7/2014Glad that despite rumors otherwise, Ten Center St is alive and well. Recent newspaper article had indicated that the restaurant was being sold and that a chain was going in. Had birthday meal there for 20 year old daughter which was excellent. Good choices for all in the party including less adventurous eaters. Very ample portions. Service was also great. Nice to know that the tradition at 10 Center Street will live on, at least for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodMetroDined on 5/24/2014Food was good, service was good, drinks were good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Great restaurant. Food was phenomenal and the best bartender (Denise) ever. Will most definitely return to dine in the bar with her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Had a party of 9 for mother's day, with 3 children included. We did miss the brunch so ordered off the regular menu. They were transitioning from brunch to regular menu. The bartender was also our waitress as we sat upstairs. She was worked very hard and did a good job of providing great service even though they had her spread a bit thin. I have been here several times and the food is always great. The upstairs bar/dining area has a great ambiance. I would highly recommend Ten Center street for a romantic dinner or a small group outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchFoodloverDined on 5/11/2014We have been to 10 Center many times for dinner and also just to go to the bar. We were excited for the brunch because it listed many food options on menu and we have rarely been disappointed with our meals in the past. Unfortunately, the food was lukewarm at best. It was not flavorful, and many items appeared to have been left out for hours, including their signature lobster Mac and cheese. We had to ask for desserts to be replenished as there were just a few remaining. The carving station was on the other side of the bar and not visible...we missed out on this because if the location. 50 dollars a person is higher than any other restaurant in the area. I was expecting to be wowed. It didn't even come close. We will go elsewhere next yearSpecial Features:
- Just what I expected!TheAmbientDinerDined on 4/29/2014Great for appetizers, burgers and hanging out. Waitress/bartender as nice as she is pretty. Upstairs leaves me cold but the downstairs is a terrific room full of cozy spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/27/2014Great menu and good for drink and small plate or a full dinner. Something for everyone and good cocktails. Very good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieyumyumDined on 4/18/2014Usually a favorite and consistently delicious; however, Friday night was a bit disappointing. The reservation was specific for a downstairs table, we were sat upstairs. The drink tickets printer was sending slips to the wrong printer so that was a hassle and the salad described to have many ingredients was lacking most of them. The lamb lollipop was just ok but the scallop lobster risotto was delightful. As I said, 10 center is a favorite and I've been going here for years and this was my first disappointing experience. But, I plan on going back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysLindsayBDined on 4/12/201410 Center Street is my husband's and my "go to" for a quick bite at the bar on a week night, a fun weekend dinner out with friends, or a special occasion dinner with family. The food and service never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough start, great finishRombo71Dined on 4/12/2014First time at 10 Center Street. We had a 730 reservation and didn't get seated until almost 8PM so not a great start but things went upwards from there. we were pleasantly surprised by the décor and vibrant scene upstairs. Although it was a bit loud, it was fun. The drinks came out and a friend ordered extra extra dirty martini and could barely taste the olives so not a great start but they were very accommodating to switch out her drink, The food then came and was unreal. all 4 of is ordered the steak tips and they were unreal. despite a rough start I would recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- Nice, quiet Sunday brunchLambda621Dined on 3/30/2014Had an Open Table reservation at 10:30 AM for a Sunday brunch on a cold, wet day. We were a little surprised to arrive to an empty parking lot and be the first ones there. (Now we know that 10:30 is when they open.). They were ready and the place was warm, and we sat by the fireplace in a quiet table downstairs. I would imagine it will be a lot busier in tourist season and the outdoor dining. The menu was limited for brunch, but enough and both dishes (French toast and eggs Benedict) were very well done and large portions. Service was good.Special Features:
- fun for a groupjbkollDined on 3/29/2014We didn't have great service, perhaps because it was a party of 6 and a very busy Saturday night. But the menu had a variety of options, as did the wine/beer list and the noise level didn't matter for the group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service ok2wyldedogsDined on 3/22/2014I really like this restaurant. We arrived early for our reservation, checked in with the hostess and let her know we were going to the bar until our table was ready. Service at the bar was slow but once we were served, the service was exemplary. When our time came and passed I had the bar tender check and the hostess had given our table away. VERY disappointing, especially since she was told where we were going. The manager's remedy was to pay for a round of drinks but I was already done drinking since I was driving. We had to wait an additional 20 minutes for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceMashpashDined on 3/14/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at 10 Center. The food was very good and the portions were extremely generous. My boyfriend got the Lobster Mac and Cheese and had leftovers for 2 days. The service was also very good. Our server, Tasha, was helpful and attentive. She even put up with our terrible humor. The only negative was that our table was located upstairs, in a corner, next to the fireplace. I was worried it would be too warm near the fire. Instead, there was a draft coming in from the window and it was very chilly. Tasha did offer to move us to a new table, but we chose to stay, despite the draft. Overall, the experience was very good and we would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.