10 Center Street
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nixstencenter.com/
- Phone: (978) 462-6652
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday through Saturday - 11:30am - 5pm / Sunday 10:30 - 5pm
Dinner:Sunday 5:00pm- 9:00pm / Monday 5pm - 9:00pm / Tuesday & Wednesday- 5pm - 9pm / Thursday through Saturday - 5pm -10pm
Late Night Menu in the Pub
Thursday, Friday Saturday 10pm-Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Beau Marchitelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Phil McGowan Jazz Quartet - 4 Piece Jazz featuring some of Boston's best Jazz players - Wednesdays 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Special Events: 5 for $5 Specials:
Mondays | 10 oz. Angus Burgers
Tuesdays | $5 specialty flatbreads
Wednesdays | $1 Oysters and Live Jazz 7pm-10pm
Thursdays | $5 Potato Gnocchi Saute
Fridays | Cast Iron Mac n' Cheese
Sunday Brunch Buffet starting Sunday, February 10th - offered from 10am - 2pm - Offering a select buffet and endless mimosa bar
A word from Nix's Newburyport
Newburyport's Landmark Tavern. Nixs Newburyport makes it simple to get together with friends for Lunch or Dinner, serving dishes that are easy to share and easy to enjoy! Also offering NFL Sunday Ticket, Weekday Specials, and Private Event Space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nix's Newburyport reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- second visit as good as theAndyZVIPDined on 7/20/2008second visit as good as the first - i entertained friends and they had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Good food, but bartender didOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2008Good food, but bartender did not know how to make a mojito.
- Our server was terrible, butJulesDined on 7/12/2008Our server was terrible, but the food was so good we will give it another shot.Special Features:
- The service was not good theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2008The service was not good the evening we were there. It took 30 minutes just to get a glass of water and our drink orders. We asked for bread three times and the candle to be lit 3 times and it wasn't lit until right before we left. Our waitress said that our appetizer was ready and would be right out and then it came out 15 minutes later and was not hot. Our waitress was not "present." She never checked on the quality of our food. Our entrees were delicious and the wine was very good.Special Features:
- the lobster teaspoons wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2008the lobster teaspoons were great, although next time I will ask for a little bit of cocktail sauce on the side. the fish tacos and the panko chicken dish were excellent. the menu should say that the Elyse Rose is sparkling. the profiteroles were great too. it was an excellent meal. excited about the new menu and wait to go back and try more dishes.Special Features:
- I have eaten here a dozenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2008I have eaten here a dozen times and the food is impeccable each time along with the service. I will definitely be dining there again. Regards Carl LeClairSpecial Features:
- 10 Center Street had no recordOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/200810 Center Street had no record of our reservation via Open Table. They did however have enough room to seat us.Special Features:
- Great menu and ambiance. SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2008Great menu and ambiance. Special takes on classic dishes, as well as unique appetizers and cocktails. Especially memorable were the strawberry lemon drop, made with fresh strawberries and house-infused vodka, and the black truffle macaroni and cheese! Lobster "BLT" also a hit. Nice, intersting slads. Service not as elegant as expected (young, inexperienced hostess and waitstaff), but very timely.Special Features:
- We frequent this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2008We frequent this restaurant quite often. We had friends in town visiting and wanted to show them a good time. 10 Center has always been a safe bet. Needless to say, dinner was down right awful. Not one of the 6 of us finished our plates. 2 dishes were sent back and one was missing half of the listed accompaniments. Our server did her best to smooth the situation over, but it truly was a disappointing experience.
- Never Again.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2008Never Again. Our foursome dined upstairs. It is the loudest atmosphere I have ever encountered for a restaurant. Before ordering I had a question about the menu, the waitress said let me find out and did not return for 20 minutes. When she did return she had totally forgot about my question, so she had to leave us again. My meal was one of the specials. It tasted like it came out of a can. My wifes meal as well as our friends were equally as bad. The service was horendous. Like I said, NEVER AGAIN.
- VERY Disappointing! My wife'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/18/2008VERY Disappointing! My wife's main course was over-salted....the server never asked about the meal...We told the server about our dissapointment (Deb)..and then the supervisor spoke to us, and we again shared our displeasure. Other than an apology and excuse of the Soybean oil maybe being too salty, there was no compromise-splitting the check, providind a complimentary dessert or coffee..etc. The kitchen was poorly educated about Gluten intolerance, as they did not serve fingerling potatoes fried in soybean oil--they could have asked. The supervisor mentioned , the main chef was not on duty that night as an excuse for this incident. All should be trained on Gluten intolerance in 2008! Our experience does not warrant a revisit!Special Features:
- The atmosphere of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2008The atmosphere of the restaurant reminded me of a private club. There is a sense of intimacy and relaxed elegance...the food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Very pleasant, friendly waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/15/2008Very pleasant, friendly waitress but covering too many tables. She forgot one beverage and brought one entre prepared incorrectly. But the food was good and we return on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Service was a little slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2008Service was a little slow, but was not that crowded. Server was friendly.Special Features:
- The menu was limited and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2008The menu was limited and the food was expensive. We ate in the bar/pub area and the menu and food were the same as the fine dining menu "upstairs" area.
- I've been to this resturantjfj1997Dined on 5/25/2008I've been to this resturant numerous times, recently the service has gone significantly down hill. The food is still good and sometimes excellent, however, stay away from the Black Truffle Ravioli as it tasted like dirty gym socks, I can't imagine very many people enjoying it. The service was extrodinaryily slow... we waited 1.5 hours for dinner to be served, made worse by our waiter basically abandoned us, given the resturant wasn't full I found this quite annoying, further they finally gave us bread but no plates, when we got them, we'd eaten all the bread, we also asked for a refil that never showed up, but did show up on the bill. Really disappointing. They did compenstate for lack service but it felt like too little too late.
- Enjoyed 10 Center. WonderOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2008Enjoyed 10 Center. Wonder why this was not eligible for points for me?Special Features:
- great as always! Thomas BOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/24/2008great as always! Thomas B was an oustanding server!Special Features:
- Food was good -- we all hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008Food was good -- we all had burgers. The only real complaint is in the scallop/bacon appetizer. Last time we ate here, there were two scallops. This time, only one! That was a disappointment and if the portion had changed, it should have been mentioned by the waitress (three people splitting one scallop is not an easy task!).Special Features:
- I had not been since theyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008I had not been since they had renovated the upstairs, adding a bar/lounge setting, which was very comfortable and relaxing, and seemed to attract a nice mix of locals on a thursday night. We sat at a high table and enjoyed lobster tempura with our yummy cocktails. Two thumbs up for the Pure Pear martini! It's very nice (especially in these trying financial times) that they offer half portions on several of their main dishes. My wife and I both ordered half portions( she did ravioli in a taleggio fondue sauce and I had lamb) along with a side of spinach with pine nuts and parmesan. We split a creme brulee, and in the end, the whole bill was very doable. The only snafu was the spinach arrived missing the parmesan.Special Features:
- The manager was most kindOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2008The manager was most kind in accommodating our specifics on our reservation. The menu is interesting and the food was good. I miss the number of small plates that used to be offered and the loss of more booths in the pub. Still a great spot for a night out.Special Features:
- Was a bit disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/13/2008Was a bit disappointed with the menu selections for the Chef Showdown. Overall the food was a bit salty. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- Disappointing experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2008Disappointing experience overall for Mother's Day dinner. They were "out" of quite a few menu items, including bread and several desserts we wanted to order. They seemed to have been caught off guard by the amount of people they had for brunch, and hadn't quite recovered by the time we showed up for dinner. The atmosphere is nice, visually, with exposed brick, beams and a fireplace, but for some strange reason, they had loud "classic rock" blasting through the sound system throughout dinner. Normally we're fans, but it was very out of place given the atmosphere--and very annoying to have to try to talk over "The Doors" and the "Stones." Nice jazz or acoustic guitar would have been more appropriate.
- We had a wonderful time onOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2008We had a wonderful time on Mother's Day. My only complaint were the oysters. They were supposed to be served on a bed of ice. However, it looked like they had been sitting out for too long and the ice was melted. The oysters were under the water and the sauces were submerged as well. The waitress should have never brought them out like that. When we told her she took them off of our bill and agreed that they should never have been served like that. Other than that we had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- first time there food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2008first time there food was fantastic, service could have been better. They lost our desert order however restaurant was very busy. I would go back or recommend it to a friend. Excellent cocktail menu
- Ten Center Street has hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2008Ten Center Street has had some renovations etc since the ten plus years ago that I was there. It is very nice with a nice bar area, however that dining area is adjacent and open to the bar area. The first hour of our dinner from 6-7 was relatively quiet. The second hour between 7-8 was extremely noisy and so much so to prevent enjoyable conversation at our table. We had a table of 6 right in the path of the stairway and the bar. My chair was nudged a few times during the course of my dinner in addition to the very high noise level. Very annoying!
- The hostess remembered meOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2008The hostess remembered me from when I came in earlier to confirm my reservation. She greeted my wife and me by name before we even spoke to her and congratulated us on our 21st anniversary. Very classy! Our server, Cory, was skilled, informed, and personable. I had bought a gift for my wife, which I delivered to the restaurant earlier and asked that it be brought to our table with our desserts. I didn't have to mention it again; Cory brought the gift to the table and delivered it to my wife with elegance. It was easy to catch Cory's eye when we needed service, and she checked on us briefly several times during the evening. The rest of the time, we had wonderful privacy. A fully satisfying experience. Parking a problem. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Ok food and ambiance. PoorGandHVIPDined on 5/3/2008Ok food and ambiance. Poor ventilation with too much of a "restaurant odor". Spotted glass and silver ware. I guess it's ok for a lunch stop if you're walking down Newburyport but overall not worth the detour we made along our travel north.Special Features:
- the waitress was a dud. sheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2008the waitress was a dud. she showed up, poured the water, then did not show up till after I flagged down the manager for help some 35 minutes later. then at the end of the meal, i had to flag her down for the check. I like the food and environment. however, with staff like that, i am NOT going back. her name was corrine
- the showdown was fun. CourtneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/29/2008the showdown was fun. Courtney is a great server!
- We sat fireside in the barOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2008We sat fireside in the bar area. The menu is an interesting hybrid of sushi, tapas, and entrees. We had oysters, lobster & avocado rolls, lobster ravioli with black truffle cream sauce, and seared scallops over risotto. It was all very good. The wine list was good, but not great. We managed to find a very nice Malbec I had not seen before, however. The service was very good, but the bar area was a little noisy. The upstairs dining area is cozy and quiet, so would be better for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- table service was slow andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2008table service was slow and erratic. did not learn the reason why the service was so bad until I requested to speak with the manager. she informed me my server got hurt in the kitchen and so my service was interrupted. they should have just let the server rest while someone else covered for her. I let the manager know my concerns. the food was good. a fun night of eating two meals prepared by two different chefs. fun. some good food.Special Features:
- Bad location - right by theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Bad location - right by the wait station. Made for an unenjoyable time. Very distracting and chaotic. Service was extremely poor. I really enjoy this restaurant but was very disappointed at this visit. I'll go back again but will request a different table and waiter.Special Features:
- The service was horrible.DER1VIPDined on 4/19/2008The service was horrible. Our food was cold. Everything was slow and ill-timed. My wife even had to get up and walk to the bar to get her glass of wine so that she could have a sip before she had finished her meal. Not likely to go back.
- Have attended twice for ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/15/2008Have attended twice for Chef Showdown. Lots of fun tasing 6 courses. Good wine. Nice ambiance. Working fireplaces. Plan to attend several more times. Waitstaff courteous and attentive. Enjoy.Special Features:
- The ambiance was wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2008The ambiance was wonderful, the decor was very authentic, you could tell this was a historical building. Our server, Cory, was wonderful, very attentive, very nice, and very patient with us!! :) The food was incredible. It was worth the drive (we came from Cape Cod and Portland, ME to meet, we all said it was worth the drive.) Thank you, we're looking forward to visiting again soon.Special Features:
- the Truffle Ravioli and PecanOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/12/2008the Truffle Ravioli and Pecan dessert were outstanding... the Chopper salad was very average... the Bloody Mary could have used a little horseradish and a little less black pepper.... still my favorite restaurant in Newburyport!
- Love the chef challenge! IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008Love the chef challenge! I now have two new restaurants to add to my favorites list - 10 Center and Aquatini. The hostess sat us at two high top tables as our reserved table hadn't cleared - great idea. Unfortunately our poor waitress was very short. They should be more careful which servers are assigned to which tables. Service was a little slow but the staff did a great job of explaining what was going on.Special Features:
- Down stairs bar was beingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008Down stairs bar was being renovated. Our 8PM reservation got bumped by another later reservation that complained. No bar available during the wait. We did not eat until 9:30PM. Otherwise food competition was novel, quality and filling. Wait staff tried to cover for delays.
- The food from the Ten CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008The food from the Ten Center Street Chef was really good; the food cooked by Chef B, aka the chef from Aquatini was bad! Ten Center Street should not have him come back and battle again anytime soon!Special Features: