89 Broad Street
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nixsmate.com/
- Phone: 6173481234
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 7:00am – 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 7:00am – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Holly Najdzin 6173481226
A word from Nix's Mate
Located at 89 Broad Street in the Hilton Boston Downtown/Financial District Hotel, Nix's Mate is Boston's premier dining destination for modern America cuisine. Paying tribute to the Boston Harbor Island, the neighborhood restaurant and bar serves seasonally-inspired fare, capturing the true spirit of New England. Nix's Mate boasts a 22-seat bar and 30-seat lounge area, expansive dining room holding up to 80, and both semi-private and private rooms. Nix's Mate is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nix's Mate reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (16)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great for music loversFoodieLynnDined on 8/22/2014I've been to Nix's Mate 3 times and all times I've had a wonderful experience. The first was for my boyfriend's birthday. He had played in a band that had a gig there previously so we went on his recommendation. Had a great time. I've also gone for lunch with friends and that was fun as well. The service was timely and friendly and the food was great as always. The final time I went my boyfriend played for the band that night and I requested a table near the stage, which was granted along with the same great service. Overall a good place to hang out!!Special Features:
- Gluten Free Be AdvisedChrissieVIPDined on 8/12/2014I had to send my order back b/c it was not prepared as requested.Special Features:
- Hopefully just an off day.HKSKVIPDined on 8/6/2014Two entree salads, both drenched in dressing. Service fine, just the basics. Usually I find this a good lunch spot. This time I was somewhat embarrassed at having chosen it for a business lunch.
- Really Good FoodShavanahVIPDined on 7/25/2014I was amazed by the chicken salad sandwich that I ordered for lunch. It was very creamy and tasty. The portion was large and had to ask for a doggy bag. Our hostess seated me even though my guest hadn't arrived yet, which was very nice for her to do. However, our waiter was very absent-minded. He took our order without writing it down, and then five minutes later returned to ask me what I had ordered. It took awhile for us to get our food. Overall, food good, service not so much.Special Features:
- Great spot in financial districtOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2014I've been wanting to try Nix. Finally got there for a quick dinner. Food, service all excellent. Looking forward to going back for lunch soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn Up Thursday!wiscogurlVIPDined on 6/26/2014I went to this place specifically to hear Sweet Tooth and the Sugarbabies band. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with the restaurant at the same time! I loved this place for its decor, supreme service, and great atmosphere. Not too crowded and tons of energy! I wish Boston had more trendy places like Nix's Mate!Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/22/2014My friend and I wanted to eat at a bar where we could watch the US World Cup match. The food was very nice, although not exactly "gourmet". I would definitely return to this spot, as it was in a good location for me. I tried to eat there for breakfast one morning, but they only had a brunch available. Try the salmon if you go there...it was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StasiaDined on 6/13/2014We came in on a Friday evening around 6 and sat at the bar. Both restaurant and the bar area were fairly empty. We had tuna tacos appetizer and salmon entrees with quinoa. Entrees were prepared very well; fish was fresh with good seasoning, and quinoa had a very nice crunch to it. I would definitely get this dish again! I wish our appetizer was served as a tuna tartare with some wonton chips instead of taco shells. The filling of tuna and avocado was still great though! We had two rounds of the same drinks, and noticed some inconsistencies. Perhaps they were prepared by different bartenders…Our server was very attentive and checked on us regularly. Overall this was a pleasant first experience.Special Features:
- uncharacteristically negativeBostonFoodieVIPDined on 6/3/2014I have been to Nix's Mate at least a dozen times, always with a positive experience- food is decent, service is good, ambience is great for work lunch, etc. This time, however, I ordered my usual dish- a salad with a double portion of shrimp. The shrimp tasted off. I love seafood and eat it often, I know when something is off. I gently alerted the waiter. He said he would let them know. there was no subsequent follow up and I was billed for both portions of shrimp (a surcharge of 16 or 19 dollars- not sure which). I had tasted half the shrimp and finally gave up, they all had the same weird flavor and left the rest. The lack of follow up was unsatisfying, esp as I think their service and ambience are the best two things they have going.
- Gluten Free OptionsChrissieVIPDined on 6/2/2014They have excellent Gluten Free bread!! I love the BBQ chicken sandwich on GF bread - w/a veggie side! So good!Special Features:
- Good food & serviceregularDined on 6/1/2014Open late afternoon with good food and friendly service! Great when you need place for a late lunch. The lobster sliders are yummy! Apparently there is live music in the evening but we didn't experience it.Special Features:
- OK for a HiltonSlySallyVIPDined on 5/5/2014Service was very slow & no reason for it. They were out of the beer I wanted (Stella) and the fish I ordered was a little over cooked. It was OK for a quick convenient bite as a I was staying in the hotel. There are much better restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- The following 87 reviews are from the Nix's Mate reviews archive.
- Unlimited BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/27/2014Unlimited waffles, omelets and mimosas. The mimosas tasted great, I think it was freshly squeezed oj.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th birthdayEjennings101Dined on 4/18/2014It was my girlfriends 30th birthday dinner between the 2 of us, and was awesome. Our server was uplifting, smiling competent and somewhat funny. I definitely recommend the Seafood Platter appetizer to anyone liking otters, shrimp tuna and clams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a blast spending lastCaraDined on 4/11/2014We had a blast spending last Friday night at Nix's. The hostess was so friendly and accomodating to our party, reserving a table in the front for us while we had dinner in the back. The food was INCREDIBLE and the band they had was fantastic. The only issue we had was that our server was pretty non-responsive - forgetting to come over or bring drinks that we ordered, but she was nice and it was pretty crowded in the bar, so I think drinks might have just been taking a while. We will definitely be back next time that band is playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very good. Service not goodjsg1VIPDined on 4/11/2014We were there for lunch on a Friday with light attendance. The food was very good. I had tuna carpaccio over a salad - a standard menu item which I had to keep pointing out to the waiter where it was on the menu. My guest had salmon entree. The service was abysmal. I ordered iced tea 3 times with 2 different servers. We asked for bread when we received our meals and the server said it would take 10 minutes so we cancelled that. My guest asked for sugar and was brought a container of sugar substitutes with no sugar packets. It was almost impossible to find our server. Not sure I would go back unless they can work out their issues. How sad to have a 4 star meal with 1 star service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for quick bite at HiltonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Was staying at the Hilton for the night with a few friends. Before heading out in Boston for the night we figured we would grab something to eat here since it was located pretty much right in the hotel. Definitely a cool looking place and had a good menu. It was not busy on a Saturday night at 7:30 for dinner and service was a little slow but we weren't really in any rush so it didn't bother us much. All in all the food and drinks were tasty and no one had any complaints. Would I come back here? Maybe. We were told it gets really busy late night around the bar area. Might come back to check that out because the cocktails were very well put together.
- Girls night outBlondie27Dined on 3/29/2014Had a great experience at Nixs Mate recently. Great food, drinks, atmosphere and service. All around a great experience. There was a live band which made it even better. I would definitely go back and recommend to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/27/2014I had a Living Social deal so I was excited to try this place out. Food was average (although the tartar sauce for my fish and chips was AMAZING). The music was obnoxiously loud and at first I thought it was because there was an event going on...nope! Likewise, the music really didn't fit the ambiance of the restaurant. When I asked for my food to be wrapped up, my server came back to the table with boxes so that I could box it up - really?!? Once I paid my bill, I sat at my table for another 30 minutes reading and finishing up my dessert but never saw my server again. Wouldn't go back...
- MehGemmaDined on 3/19/2014A friend and I went for lunch and had a mediocre experience. If it weren't for the Living Social deal, I think I would have been a little more upset about the value for the money. The service was the primary issue. Our waiter was almost impossible to understand between the mumbling and accent. He got impatient when we would ask him to repeat himself, and so we basically stopped even trying to understand him. His visits to our table were so infrequent and each time he had to be vigorously flagged down. It took almost 90 minutes to get through our three-course lunch for 2. Food was decent, nothing to rave about (except the tomato soup - that was amazing). Not sure I would go back without a coupon.
- Wasn't bad at all, just seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/5/2014Wasn't bad at all, just seemed very average. And my sandwich (Turkey BLT) had very crunchy bread, and was too big to eat. I wouldn't go back, there's better options in the area. Others in my party seemed to enjoy it better though.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2014Wasn't too impressed with the service in this place and the number of TV screens was overkill. The food was just fair.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodBostonVisitorVIPDined on 2/25/2014Restaurant happened to be next to the hotel I was staying at. Menu had listed "The best Lobster Roll Ever". Bartender said that it was good so I went for it and I can agree it was the best lobster roll I ever had. Warm lobster in a buttery roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphere!katfDined on 2/21/2014Great food, great atmosphere! The World Premier Band was phenomenal!! Had a fantastic night! Will definitely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerEC2014Dined on 2/14/2014This was a very nice dinner for a Valentine's Day. We happened to be staying at the Hilton. The service was a little spotty at first but the food was amazing. The décor is very nice and the band playing set the mood. The lobster appetizer was amazing but it was very VERY small. The lobster main course was also amazing. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Nix's Mate, would go backfoodbuffDined on 2/14/2014I really enjoyed the experience (food, service, ambiance). Menu is on the smaller side, but it wasn't tough to find dishes that everyone would like because most items sounded very appetizing. Flatbread pizzas were good appz, the steak frites was a great entree and the chip-wiches were a great way to end the meal. Good food, refreshingly unique menu, decent environment (a little loud and crowded due to the bar crowd, but not bad), would definitely go back again and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lobster rolls...RichmondFoodieVIPDined on 1/12/2014Had a wonderful lunch during a week-long stay at the Hilton for the US Figure Skating Championships. The lobster roll, served on a "traditional" looking bun, but made of brioche, was fabulous. The "BIG" chocolate cake (description on the menu) did NOT disappoint. Great meal. Will definitely return the next time we are in the area.
- Another good place for lunch...JAZARKDined on 12/20/2013This was to get together with a friend for lunch before Christmas. It was quite full but appeared to handle it well. Food was delivered within reasonable time and was excellent. We weren't rushed and service was appropriate - checked on us occasionally but let us converse without trying to rush us out. A very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- wasnt impressed with the foodMMMMDined on 12/1/2013wasnt impressed with the food or serivce. went there to watch a football game only because it wasnt playing on local channels, and they said they were showing it. Hotel bar/restaurnat, nothing impressive.
- Hotel FoodkmburgDined on 10/28/2013Nothing to write home about. It was not awful but not great.Special Features:
- service is always badOneginVIPDined on 10/8/2013for business lunch, I've had to wait 20 minutes for next course, check, etc.Special Features:
- Not sure what's going on here...broadstlocalVIPDined on 9/28/2013Had reservations for 7:30 PM on Saturday night. We showed up on time and they were busy converting from a day party. They weren't ready to seat us until 8 PM. There were only two other tables besides us eating which is kind of odd for a Saturday night. The food was good. We got the spicy tuna rolls for an app, which were pretty good. I got the rib-eye, which was cooked exactly how I like it (medium rare) and it wasn't too fatty as many rib-eye cuts can be. My wife got the Tuna Steak which was well prepared, but the seaweed salad and spicy sauce was exactly the same thing that you get with the spicy tuna roll. That's not very original... Everything here (especially the drinks) seems to be 10-15% over priced for what this place is.Special Features:
- Outstanding Experience OverallCandcaDined on 9/28/2013What an experience!! Food was exceptional, drink menu was reminiscent of the offerings at a tropical resort; delightful and refreshing. The only thing missing would be a warm ocean breeze. However, the party atmosphere was much more energetic and lively than a Caribbean vacation. Our reservation was inadvertently booked at the same time as a private party, so needless to say we were disappointed when we arrived. However, as the saying goes, "It was truly a blessing in disguise." And what a blessing it was. Not wanting to ruin our evening, the manager offered us a private dining room away from the party. I would have been just as happy to join the party. Great music, lively crowds and overall positive energy. What a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, modern stylingReneeVIPDined on 9/19/2013This restaurant offers an above average experience, and is a special treat peeking out from the edge of the Hilton Hotel in downtown Boston. I love their extra thick and creamy tomato soup with the grilled cheese croutons. They always seem to manage to have an excellent scallop dish, which is enough for almost two meals. Ambiance is light and open, and is great for business lunches, of which we have had many at this location. I highly recommend this as a great spot that gets very busy later at lunch and has a great bar scene in the late afternoon.Special Features:
- HUGELY disappointed in thisbostonmumDined on 6/16/2013HUGELY disappointed in this place! Had booked a table for brunch on Father's Day on open table and then followed it up with a phone call the night before to confirm. After having got two little kids organised, we raced off to be there for our 10.45 reservation. On arrival at the restaurant we were then informed that brunch was not actually being served! I then asked what else was on offer and was handed a very small bar menu, which was completely inappropriate for that time of day. We were then left with 2 disappointed little children and few options as to where to go due to it being Father's Day as stated before. Not happy!!!
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2013Food and service were both great. The lobster caramel is small but delicious. The waiter accurately described it as possibly the best single bite of food you could ever have. Steak was cooked perfectly. Definitely a nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meeting spot!SharonDined on 6/12/2013I enjoy this restaurant from the decor to the ample room tables provide. It is s great meeting spot. This is my third visit and its always clean and i can get a table. Love open table reservations which saves so much time. The food is good and sandwiches are big for lunch, salads are fresh but the chicken is always overcooked and dry, bummer! The loster roll is wow huge, fresh and never leaves you doubting if its real lobster neat!! I will be back for the bloody mary and country brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!!Sparkles86Dined on 5/12/2013What a great spot! Went for brunch it was amazing the food, service and decor. They even had a country band play on Sunday Yee Haw! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!prdivamichelleDined on 5/7/2013My first time there along with 3 friends and waiter was super-polite, not overly attentive, just right and was sensitive to our endless chattering! Food was scrumptious! Totally recommend the tomato bisque with grilled cheese croutons! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedJCMurphyDined on 4/27/2013We booked our reservation for Nix's Mate to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. Our reservation was for 9pm. Parking was very difficult to find. Once we got to the restaurant we were shown to one of three tables set for meals and in the same room as a very noisy graduation party. We asked to be moved to a quieter table and the hostess couldn't even hear our request over the noise. We interperated this as indifference, but she did go to get the manager who told us that it was only going to get louder in the next hour. He offered no solution and he truly seemed indifferent about whether we dined there or not. We left and fortunately found a much quieter and more accomodating restaurant across the street. Not what I expected!Special Features: