Nix's Mate Plymouth
6 Town Wharf
Plymouth, MA 02360Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nix's Mate Plymouth
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nixsplymouth.com/
- Phone: 5085917706
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 5:00pm- 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Nix's Mate Plymouth
Located at 6 Town Wharf, Nix's Plymouth is the waterfront's premier dining destination for modern American cuisine. Paying tribute to the Boston Harbor Island, the restaurant and bar serves seasonally-inspired fare, capturing the true spirit of New England.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nix's Mate Plymouth reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (8)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- dancemomVIPDined on 7/26/2014don't make a reservation - restaurant is not open. great location though................................
- ClosedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014we got there and they were closed, weird I could make reservations for a restaurant that was closed, disappointing.
- taking reserv, even when CLOSED!!edmccDined on 7/13/2014We booked for a sunday afternoon, late 530-600, got there a little early, walked around the area, got to restaurant, and the place was CLOSED for renovations. No wonder there were reservations available on a sunday afternoon. Should they have blocked out the days for the reno? wont go back just for that.
- mrEdward BramhallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014My daughter &grandson and my wife made reservations thru your service. The rteser5vation wqas waitying when we arrived and we had a great waiter,KUMAR who provided wonderful service to our group.The food was ist class and we enjoyed the entire evening.We would reccomend this restaurant to everyoneSpecial Features:
- Limited menu, great foodCapegalDined on 7/6/2014The menu didn't offer much in the way of imaginative items, but the burger and fries were excellent, tender, very tasty meat and toppings with crunchy fries. Salad was limp. Our server was super...attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Waterfront diningJoel4444Dined on 6/20/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find this little gem of a restaurant on Plymouth's waterfront. It's hidden by a busy business in front and not easy to find but by far has the best view in town. The menu was not extensive but the food was excellent. Service was great and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Worth a visit and we will be back.Special Features:
- Great food & prices!LauoviDined on 6/14/2014Our first time at this restaurant, have been many times at other ones around Nix's. Had low expectations to be honest but we got impressed - food was very good, had burger sliders to start (really yummy). Entree - we ordered from "specials" NY steak & shrimp over mashed potatoes, portions were big and plate was only $20 for a big steak & huge shrimp - you can beat that price! We will definitely going back. The only cons are that their menu is pretty limited but what we had was beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014We would rate this restaurant a C at best. While the inside of the restaurant was empty, our server kept complaining about how "slammed" she was. Service was slow and inconsistent. When we questioned why the menu was so different from the one online she said that the new chef hadn't updated it yet. And when we asked if we could get something off that old menu, the chef said no. Food came out at different times, and was average at best. I had hoped to save my appetite for dessert, but they offer their "speciality", an ice cream sandwich, and nothing else. Not very appetizing for someone, like me, with dairy sensitivity! Won't go back.
- Very happy1roseDined on 5/26/2014I asked them to leave a rise on the table and the were able to accommodate my request. Made my dates heart melt. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and LouderJenGDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mothers Day dinner at 5Pm and were very disappointed. They had LIVE music and it was so loud we were yelling to each other and our server. Not what most moms envision on Mothers Day. Service was just ok. Not enough staff..Kitchen was super slow...Its too bad. Its a nice location. Menu was lacking but food was actually good. Kids choices not so great. They were out of chicken nuggets and didnt have many other choices..Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Nix's Mate Plymouth reviews archive.
- Pleasant HolidayBernadetteDined on 4/20/2014I live and work in Plymouth, I remember when the property was the Mayflower Restaurant. I have not been to Nix's before. I took my family for Easter Dinner and was very happy with our experience. The facility, staff, beverages, food and prices were great. I am a single parent and it is great to be able to afford to take my family out for dinner. Thank you for a very nice experience we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nix this place!SoShoreCoupleVIPDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant was almost empty as we had an early reservation. The bartender ended up being our waiter. We waited over 15 minutes for our drink order to be taken. This gave us plenty of time to comment on how dirty the place was. The girls in the group would not put their bags down on the floor as there was food mashed into the carpet. We waited another 15 minutes for the drinks to be served. There was a lot of ice and the slightest hint of liquor. Three people in the party ordered the clam chowder and it was awful. The rest of the meals were average at best.
- overall OKonceDined on 4/5/2014Food moderately priced. Good portions. Seafood was good. Steak tips left a lot to be desired. Clean facility. Waitress very friendly but did not have a good knowledge of the menu or alcohol availability. Seating and service were prompt.Special Features:
- Accommodating!LeeLeeVIPDined on 3/8/2014I was craving a Caesar salad with shrimp, but they were out of shrimp! I asked if they would sub in scallops, they did, and they were delicious! Appreciate them accommodating my request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need a bigger menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Great scene but horrbile service menu was too small not much of a section. The drinks was great and great place for pre gaming before the club with friends ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like Nix’ a lot but it’s missingBillDined on 2/7/2014The menu is limited and the food is just average. I had the steak tips which were very good but the mashed potatoes where cold. My sister had the bacon rapped salmon and said it was just ok and would not order it again. My friend had the classic chicken sandwich which he said was good and his wife had the fish and chips which she enjoyed. We all split two chocolate chip cookie sandwich cookies for dessert and the cookies where good but very hard and not warm and chewy as the waitress had described.Special Features:
- A fine findJerseyguyDined on 12/25/2013It was Christmas day and they were open. We found the food to be very good and the ambience very nice. The manager, Candy waited on us and was a very good ambassador for the place. She made us feel welcome and despite taking care of the bartender duties as well as waiting tables, provided very good service. Can't wait to try this place in warm weather because they have an outside deck. Great location right at the wharf. Great clam chowder. Definitely recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's okDotsgirlVIPDined on 12/3/2013Food was ok nothing to rave over. Roast Chicken left a lot to be desired. It was extremely overlooked and seemed freezer burned. Atmosphere would be nicer if all the candles were going and light dimmed. There are other nicer places to go in town and close by.
- needs to be managedfoodieVIPDined on 11/19/2013sadly we had a very negative experiance - arrived at 7:30pm, no one at front, waited and waitied and waited to be seen and seated. then food was terrible - shrimp appetizer consisted of 3 small shrimp extremely overcooked and not well cleaned. then had a medicocre steak with lobster - lobster was browned with black crunchy pieces of something in it. other entree was fried seafood platter - scallops were also very overcooked. our server was very attentive and tried, but there seemed to be only 2 servers and no host, manager or bartender - these 2 had to run the whole restaurant. perhaps if sombody actually managed this place, it could be better.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2013After reading mixed reviews about Nix's we were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding service provided by our server Tiffany and the very good meals we received. We plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, staff, good foodFamilytimetogetherVIPDined on 11/9/2013Had a terrific time while visiting f Trevor iends who were in the area. We chose Nix from Open Table and weren't disappointed. Good seafood.Special Features:
- The Good and the BadmaggieDined on 11/2/2013The biggest problem was we did not know who was waiting on us. Was it the person who took our order? Was it the person who corrected our wine order? Was it the person who brought our food? The food was good, the service was confusing.Special Features:
- I was disappointed over all.KathyDined on 10/18/2013I was disappointed over all. The server was pleasant the bar was empty (On a Friday?) and the food was very average. I've lived in Plymouth for 38 years and was hoping I found a new gold mine but this wasn't the case. The place was nice but it was really lacking something. The menu was limited and I was shocked that there was NO white fish as an option and you are on the waterfront? Other than fish tacos and fried seafood? That's a NO NO in Plymouth. If the mashed potatoes were not instant than I am a LIAR. The place has potential, but needs a menu re-vamp and something to lue the locals in as they will be the ones that sustain you in the winterSpecial Features:
- THE ENTIRE NIGHT WAS NOTHINGEASYGOINGDined on 10/4/2013THE ENTIRE NIGHT WAS NOTHING BUT WAITING AND WAITING. AFTER GETTING SEATED WE WAITED 20 MINUTES FOR 3 BEERS AND A PITCHER OF SANGRIA. WAITED FOR ANOTHER 20 MINTUES UNTIL OR WAITRESS SAID THE KITCHEN WAS BACKED UP (even though the place was less than half full) AND THEN WE WERE TOLD AFTER ANOTHER 15 MIN. THAT THE SLIP WAS LOST IN THE KITCHEN. WE WERE NEVER ASKED IF WE WANTED WATER OR ANY BREAD, HARDLY EVER CHECKED UP ON, AND WHEN WE DID ORDER IT TOOK WAY WAY TO LONG FOR OUR ITEMS TO ARRIVE..EVERY DRINK ORDER TOOK WAY TO LONG AND THE FOOD PORTION ALSO TOOK WAY TO LONG. THE FOOD WAS OK BUT NOTHING BETTER THAN THAT AND THE SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE. IT NEVER SEEMED LIKE THERE WAS ANY MANAGING OR SUPERVISION. EXTREMELY HORRIBLY RUN AND SOON TO CLOSE.
- UpscalebusymomDined on 10/1/2013This restaurant is nice for a special occasion. You do not get a lot of food for the price, but the food is excellent.Special Features:
- First time dining there. FoodcookieDined on 9/28/2013First time dining there. Food was very good, but menu was limited. Service was excellent and everyone was very friendly. There was live entertainment which we thoroughly enjoyed. Not many places have that anymore. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not a date night.Carolinae09Dined on 9/17/2013I was under the impression that it was a restaurant, not a bar. And maybe that is why i was not happy. I ask for my salmon cooked med well and it was med rare, also was no manager in sight. Took forever, even tho it was a tuesday. So maybe for drinks is good. For dinner? Dont recomend. The server was more than attentive. I felt sorryfor him. He was embarrased about my overral experience.Special Features:
- Needs worknottoopickyDined on 9/13/2013I believe it could be a much better restaurant if they had more experienced help and a better chef in the kitchen. The food was average. I could have gotten a similar meal at the 99 Restaurant. The location is right on the waterfront and the décor inside is very nice and relaxing. They had a singer and guitarist playing and that was nice. The worst part was the service. The hostess didn't have any clue where to sit us. The waitress we were given just had a customer walk out on her. The table next to us was asked their order twice by two different waitresses because they didn't know who had the table. It took us 34 minutes to get our drinks after we were served and then when we got our meal it was soggy. We would not go again.Special Features:
- It is a beautiful restaurantapplestrudelDined on 9/10/2013It is a beautiful restaurant but does not attract customers. Even though when we got there at 7pm there where very few customers. By time we left we were two of four people left. The Carpaccio salad consisted of a bed of arugula with 3 s lices of Tomato and 3 slices of Mozzarella for $12.00 Both of our dinners were okay, I did have to send my dish back and the mistake was fixed
- Second visit not as goodDotsgirlVIPDined on 9/7/2013This was my second time at Nix's and not as good as my first experience. First time we went waitress and food was excellent. This time the server was not very attentive and the food was mediocre. My friend ordered 2 different dishes and both were out. My other friend ordered a well done burger that was pink to almost red in the center, which made her bun soggy. She ate very little of it but the waitress didnt ask why. We had the calamari for an appetizer and we've all had better elsewhere. The peppers on the dish were great but the calamari itself was bland. We weren't asked if we wanted dessert but we would have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2013A little pricey with a limited menu. There are better places on Plymouth waterfront with more menu choices. It's good but for the money I expected great. And it wasn't. On the upside our server was a sweet kid who was very attentive.Special Features:
- Nix'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2013Husband ordered lobster mac and cheeses - very dry, little lobster, loaded with bread crumbs...awful def not worth $24 My burger was medium, I ordered medium well...was tasty though Had a great carafe of Sailor's Curse - excellent Nice bar and lots of TVs. They need to work on the food tho...Special Features:
- Good food, great service,TheDinersSDined on 8/30/2013Good food, great service, nice view, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would have to say aftertammyDined on 8/24/2013I would have to say after all the bad reviews we read we were skeptical, but tried it anyway and we were all happy we did! Food was great and we all really enjoyed it....Special Features:
- New go to spot.TlonerganmaDined on 8/24/2013Both my wife and I recently went to next for anniversary dinner. Upon entering we were warmly greeted and my wife was wished happy anniversary which was fantastic. We ate outside. Service was great. I ordered the ribs – the best ribs I think I've ever had. My wife had the salmon wrapped in bacon. She couldn't say enough good things about this. Will definitely be back here sooner rather than later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plymouth LandmarkeatoutDined on 8/23/2013This restaurant shows the flavor of downtown Plymouth. The overall dining experience was a good one. Of the 5 dishes that were served, all were good; 3 very very good while the other 2 were good but unimaginative. Service was okay for a very busy night. Staff was very cordial & table was ready on time. I traveled one hour to get there but will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empty and RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2013My husband and I went for dinner on a Friday night. The waiter, Sean came over immediately and was super nice and very friendly. After ordering drinks which came quickly we ordered appetizers and main courses. I wasn't half - way done with my salad when the waiter reappeared with our entrees. He said, "sorry, these came out kinda fast." So rather than delay our food to the table to allow us finish our first course, my clams with linguini sat on the table getting cold for another 10 minutes or so while I finished my salad. The place was empty and there's absolutely no reason for the food to be rushed out. I HATE IT when I am not done with one course and the next arrives. The waiter knew it was a mistake - not intention of going back. :-(Special Features:
- Great meal after a great dayKathDined on 8/16/2013Went here with my husband & 2 teen daughters after an afternoon whale watch. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day! Service was prompt and friendly and food was excellent...a beautiful location overlooking Plymouth Harbo! Really enjoyed the entertainment as well (guy playing guitar and singing). Would go here again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big place with little to offerFoodie101Dined on 7/27/2013It has the potential of a waterfront gem, but with small portions and high prices it will not be able to compete with other locales within two feet of its doors. I commend the interior designer on the unique steel tables juxtaposed with wood grain flooring and walls. Past the extensive bar with televisions there is another bar with more seating, and then finally patio with yes, a third bar. Attentive service was great, and the manager came around to ask how we are doing, however their t-shirts had brass knuckles with "play nice." I got my thimble of $5 "cup" of bisque (bowl is $8) as well as fish tacos (2 for $15) and my wife received her underwhelming chicken with a side of corn bread the size of an aspirin. Synopsis: Identity crisis.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining in PlymouthPattyRoseDined on 7/27/2013Four adults were looking for outdoor dining with a water view in Plymouth. We also wanted a restaurant that was a bit more upscale than one offering primarily fried foods and bar foods. We happened upon this restaurant on line, made a reservation. We sat on an outdoor patio that was surrounded by a white fence which took away the view of the harbor. Aubrey the server was very attentive and did a good job. My husband had the lobster sliders and he said they were good, I had the shrimp scampi , the pasta was overcooked and the sauce was cloying, the fried fishermen's platter was another choice and was fine , last was the fish tacos and while good the fish was not too plentiful. The FF were great. We wld try again.