40 Front Street
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nixshartford.com/
- Phone: (860) 373-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 4pm-12am
Saturday: 5pm- 12am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Nixs Hartford
Hartford's premier restaurant and lounge serving contemporary American small bites, amazing raw bar, New England micro brews and craft cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nixs Hartford - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Nixs Hartford reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (43)hot spot (36)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (28)late-night find (19)special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A Standout in Downtown HartfordhitteryDined on 11/16/2014I'm from the suburbs, and I've been slow to check out the progress of the Front Street development. I'm so glad I've gotten around to it by eating at Nixs, a big, open, attractive restaurant right next to Infinity Hall. Easy parking in the garage right across the street (they're working on getting validation, but it was only $5). They specialize in small plates (although they do have a modest selection of entrees). Three friends and I ordered several plates, with a couple making repeat performances. The tuna tartare was a table favorite, and the calamari was superb. We also loved the fish tacos and the wild mushroom flatbread. The wine list is small and excellent, which I love because I don't want to have to read a book before ordering wine. The service was great -- attentive but unobtrusive. Dessert list was small, but the two we ordered (a mousse and Italian doughnuts) were so, so good. Finally, the total cost for our dinner -- food, drink and dessert -- came to just over $50 a person. Not too shabby! A very minor quibble -- since they specialize in small plates, they could use bigger tables. It got a little crowded on our table. I find this to be an issue in any restaurant that focuses on tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Small potions, expensive. Ordered enter at 7:30. Was told they ran out of our choice. Service slow. Probably won't return.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014Forgot to serve appetizer with drinks. Brought out two of three dinners and had to wait a long time for third meal. Food was disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We were in a rush because we had a play to see. We told the hostess to ask our waitress to come quickly but none came until we asked again. The waitress seemed harried and annoyed. We ordered soup because we knew that would be already prepared, and both our dishes were very good (lobster bisque and clam chowder). She brought out our wines late though. I think that if you have enough time and aren't rushed the food may be worth it. But if time is of concern I would not recommend this place. Also, it is quite noisy so if you want a quiet evening this is not the place, but if you are looking for something fun and raucous this might hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nics missesAwesomeDined on 11/1/2014We arrived at 6:30 and we ordered immediately at we had a show at 8 p.m. next door. We saw 3 different people handle our soup before realizing it belonged to us where it arrived cold. At 7:40 our food arrived, the swordfish was as dry as was the chicken. We were never given a wine list but we knew ahead of time that we wanted a Cigar red zinfandel as we read the menu online. Our server told us upon ordering the wine that they only carried a Rose not White Zinfandel. After several minutes of explaining to him that it was RED Zinfandel he went to the bar and confirmed the availability. Probably the worst experience about Nix was when the wine finally did arrive, the glasses smelled and tasted. like soap as did the water glasses.
- Service.Foodcritic17Dined on 10/25/2014Our service was horrible our dinner reservation was at 9:15 our food didn't come until 10:35pm by that time they were moving tables and chairs and it was getting crowded. Our waiter didn't even have enough courage to tell us what was going on. We found out 10 mins before our food came out from the manager that out order was never placed! The bar scene was fun. But for that to be our first time out our dinner experience was horrible. If your looking for a good time I recommend it on it's party scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st impressionEatingoodfoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014Good food, good atmosphere, creative deserts. The only reason service was 4 stars is because we were left without a check for too long. Otherwise the service was great. Friendly, knowledegable, and food comes out quick...as it's ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swing and a MissMoreBaconDined on 10/24/2014When asked if I needed a rush order on my food to make the show next door I made the mistake of telling them no. This resulted in a 2+ hour dinner when all I ordered was 4 small plates. Show goers were prioritized so much so that I was forgotten. As for the food, I would call it a swing and a miss. The menu items sound great, but the result was less than appealing. I ordered the tuna tartar tacos and what came was 3 mini tacos filled with mayonnaise with tiny bits of frozen raw tuna. After a 30 minute wait they brought out some tater tots... which I didn't order. I sent them back and waiting another 10 minutes for my next plate which was also underwhelming. Long story short I got charged for the tater tots! Swing and Miss.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedJk1023Dined on 10/23/2014I bought CBS Offer based on radio interview. They claimed to have decent gluten intolerant knowledge. That proved to be inaccurate. Non the less we dealt with that. Most of what we tried was tasty. All we tried portions were skimpy. Best was the calamari worst was the hanger steak, tasty but tough. I will go back for the calamari.Special Features:
- Great service and menu selections!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Great service and menu selections! I love the tapas style menu - so you get to sample more selections without getting a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014My husband and I found this restaurant through open table and decided to try it based on reviews. We were able to get in quickly, but waited one hour for our food including a mixed greens salad. Our server, Karina was disappointing as she was not familiar with ?food in general/the menu, kept asking us if we don't mind that our food come out in randomly and could not tell us if the chicken dish was a half, or quarter chicken and changed her comments based on what we said. She did not stop to let us know what was going on with the food after an hour, but seemed to like pouring water. The food came out all at once but it was very good and worth the wait. We would consider going back if we have time on our hands and a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great spot!VegasNewbie13Dined on 10/17/2014Hipsters, foodies and regular people rejoice! We have found a swanky spot that welcomes us all! Great food and adventurous drinks - we love it here.Special Features:
- Nice Urban SceneMuttm0mDined on 10/17/2014Lively bar and restaurant areas. Choice of small plates or full entrees was nice option. Food was average for the price. Typical high noise level for this kind of upscale urban place. Our server, Chris, was awesome.Special Features:
- Exciting Restaurant Finding Its WayGoogieDined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit to Nixs, and we found it to be an exciting new restaurant in Hartford, CT. Only open for a short time, the restaurant needs to perfect its speed and consitancy of servoce and availabilityy of items on the menu. Waitstaff is entusistic and helpful. A reduction of the noise level, more noisy than energetic, would be beneficial. although one seems to adjust to it with time. Some sort of parking validation for parking ticket price reduction at nearby garages would be well received.Special Features:
- Excellent find!DebCDined on 10/17/2014I noticed this restaurant had opened on Front Street when my husband & I went to a concert at Infinity Music Hall. After reviewing the menu on-line, I decided we had to try it. It was AMAZING! It is a tapa restaurant (there are also full meals available) and each one we tried was better than the one we had just devoured. Someone at our table did order the swordfish meal. I have never tasted such juicy, well-seasoned swordfish. The crab cakes small plate was divine. We tried the spinach dip with garlic chips (excellent), the onion strings (also excellent), one of the flatbreads and caesar salads. We are definitely going to eat here again and work our way down the menu. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014service took forever and food portions were too tiny.Special Features:
- How can you run out of booze!!DedaDined on 10/16/2014They were "out of" 3 out of 4 "craft" cocktails. What??Special Features:
- Not much food for the $$$DisappointedDined on 10/15/2014We were disappointed by the very small portions of the "small Plates". I get the "Tapas" concept but $10-12 per plate for 3-4 bites of food is ridiculous - especially for something like potato = "Tater Tots". The server recommended that we each order 2-3 plates!!! The food was tasty, and the service was excellent. It was very loud and difficult to have a conversation with each other. Don't bother with the Ceasar salad - a bit of lettuce and stale croutons with a touch of dressing
- Fun for drinks; Food could improveChristinaDined on 10/14/2014No one seemed to like their meal. Taste just wasn't there. Salmon plate comes w 3 large pieces but not much rice. Roasted chicken comes w creamy corn & not much flavor. Steak comes w fries. Waitress claims they're a tapa place (I don't think so!) No vegetarian entrees only apps. Overall, they should work on a few tasty dishes. If not, just expand the bar/lounge area which is fun for drinks.Special Features:
- TJ68Dined on 10/10/2014Very small portions that were just ok. Pricy for portion size, and drink size glass was small.Special Features:
- Runner26.2tsm22222Dined on 10/8/2014This is a good spot to go after you have eaten somewhere else for a drink or if your looking for drinks and not very hungry. The entrees were not impressive and the small plates were pretty basic, 4 mini tater tots "with lobster & crab" for like $13 is kinda ridiculous, don't mind paying that if they were mind blowing good... They tasted very one note. The bar looked fun and the decor is cool. I want this place to last, maybe revise menu?Special Features:
- Bar Type Restaurantlov2enjoyDined on 10/8/2014Meal was very good, but most items are tapas style. Plan on spending a lot if you are hungry. Very noisy restaurant. All of the bar noise comes over the top of the glass divider. Great for a bunch of friends, not so much for a romantic evening with you significant other.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceFoodieKrisDined on 10/4/2014We were sat at the time of our reservation, but then waited at our table for 20min before a server came over to take our drink order. Once we placed our drink order we waited another 35minutes for the drinks to arrive! We decided not to stay for dinner and asked for the check as soon as our drinks came. The manager came over tonour table and apologized for the bad service, then offered to pay for our drinks. She also brought is two different appetizers on thr house, trying to convince us to stay. We chose not to and I'm not sure if we will ever go back. If this restaurant still exsists in a couple of months, I may try it again with a group of girlfriends.Special Features:
- A Great Experience!JoelkruDined on 10/1/2014Nixs was ideal for a pre-show drink (try the Dirty Rotten Scoundrel, a nice take on a dirty martini) and a bite before heading next door to the Infinity Music Hall. The food was imaginative and tasty (try the spicy tuna tartare tacos, yum) and the staff was extremely attentive, knowledgeable and personable, ensuring our every whim was attended to. We had a great experience.Special Features:
- Potential Hot Spot if done rightToniVIPDined on 9/28/2014Granted we went on a Sunday evening, but the place was practically empty. We were thrilled to find a place in CT that was actually still open after dark (tongue in cheek!), but it would have been nice to see a lively crowd! After ten, which is when we usually get out of Bushnell Theater, we were resigned to have to drive through a Wendy's or something, so this was certainly a nice reprieve from that! This place has the makings of a nice hotspot, but unless they capture the imagination of Hartford's party crowd, it will be yet another place that tried and folded. Food was not that great and nothing (ABSOLUTELY NOTHING) was going on that Sunday evening, so I hope for their sake, they have more to offer on a Friday/Saturday night. Good luck!Special Features:
- Great for girls night outAnnieked1Dined on 9/27/2014I loved nixs! The food was great. The concept of sharing lots of little plates was so fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal and Relaxed EnvironmentIrishPaddyDined on 9/27/2014My girlfriend and I had a good meal in a growing area of Hartford. I enjoy that Hartford has an emerging place to grab and bite and listen to music. I had the lobster and she had steak. We had to wait a little longer than normal since the steak did not meet the manager's expectation but the wait was worth it. My gf throughly enjoyed it as well as the devil eggs that she had as an appetizer. I order the lobster and also had some bluepoints as a starter. The oysters were great and the lobster was good as well. My only conplaint was that I did not receive a cracker to help with the lobster. It was already split but I still needed the cracker to really tear it up. We enjoyed the surroundings and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nix's@lunchpaulieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was great ,slow to get started but then perfect . Great service , friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not spectacularJeanetteVIPDined on 9/26/2014Had high hopes for this place but the food fell flat. Seems like they over spice to mask poor food quality.
- Great addition to hartfordKjaern21Dined on 9/26/2014Place is great. Food is very creative and the decor is like nothing around. Solid addition to Hartford. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceWickedButterflyDined on 9/25/2014The food was really good and the wait staff bent over backwards to be helpful and of service. My wife doesn't drink, and the had the bartender make her a non-alcoholic version of one of the special cocktails. The atmosphere was amazing and the place was warm and inviting! Will definitely go back. My only concern is that their menu on their website and the one they give you are completely different in their pricing!Special Features:
- BladeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Food and was terrific. We had a large group. We enjoyed sampling various small plate. Fun atmosphere. Service was great. Waitress was very knowledgeable and friendly. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carynDined on 9/20/2014Food is delicious but overpriced---when they say small plate they mean small plate. even by small plate standards these were small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was your let downSueSDined on 9/20/2014Poor server didn't stand a chance of a good rating because of her lack of training. Management needs to STEP UP and give servers good training. Did you really send her to our table with our bottle of wine when she had never opened one before? First bottle of wine was opened by an experienced server with full knowledge of the menu. Our server was a little slow to respond to our requests too such as a second btl of wine. Other server brought out an item we had not ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNutmegger2Dined on 9/19/2014Did not enjoy our first, and probably last, visit to Nix's. My wife and I waited over 20 minutes to get our drink order and then mine was wrong. There were many open tables all around us, so it's not as if the were in a crush of customers. I ordered pork belly sliders and if I looked real hard I could see the meat. The chowder was way too thick, like eating gravy, and the clams were essentially non-existent. On a positive not, our waiter was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Inviting new restaurantout2lunchDined on 9/19/2014Visited Nixs twice for lunch recently. Initial visit the food was ok, service was better. Pork sliders were okay, but pulled pork might be easier to handle. My companion ordered calamari and enjoyed it. Our shared BBQ "mac attack" was very good. The s'mores dessert was pretty but lacked taste. On the second visit, food was better, service wasn't good. Short rib tacos are a star and my friend inhaled the Nantucket Cobb. The ginger soy wings which our server recommended and then forgot to order for us are also a winner. The only bad dish was the side of mac & cheese which was served lukewarm and had no discernible flavor. Wanted to try a different dessert, but server didn't ask and her poor service turned us off of pursuing it.Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed the new addition to the area. Lunch options were very good but a little expensive for the portion size. Only thing we didn't like was how fatty the short rib slider meat was. The tater tots with crab were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to the dining scenejrhjrDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good and our waitress was excellent. However, the time it took to get our meals was excessive (nearly 1hr for one of our dishes), especially considering the restaurant wasn't at all busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave them a try andCTWolverineVIPDined on 8/30/2014Nixs gave us the impression, from the moment we walked in, of an establishment that had just opened - which of course, they had. Slightly confused and disorganized, somewhat overenthusiastic, but in the end, a good (not great) experience from a food and drink standpoint. First, the drinks. We ordered a Beach Please and a Dirty Rotten Scoundrel cocktail. Both were well mixed: fresh, bright and original, though a little light on actual alcohol content. Overall, a B+ for cocktails, downgraded primarily because the water glasses, cocktail glassware and wine stemware (as we were to discover) all had a faint odor of mold/mildew, perhaps from the cleaning solution, that most definitely detracted from the overall experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014There were a couple of events happening in the restaurant that evening, so the noise level was really high. The staff tried to accommodate us in a quieter section of the restaurant, which worked out okay particularly when the events were winding down. The atmosphere was upscale and lively, which is nice to see in Hartford, CT. Our wait staff were efficient and friendly.Special Features: