Nisen Sushi - Commack
5032 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, NY 11725Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
Nisen Sushi - Commack
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nisensushi.com/
- Phone: 6314621000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chef Alvin Wang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: For all catering inqueries please email email@example.com
- Entertainment: Join us everyday from 5 - 7 pm for happy hour at the bar
Drink Specials and half Price Apps
A word from Nisen Sushi - Commack
Nisen Sushi is a contemporary Japanese restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Nisen Sushi - Commack - Best Restaurants in Commack ›
Nisen Sushi - Commack reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (9)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Sushi FunSkyPilotDined on 10/18/2014Very good fresh sushi and fun for the family or just two. A little pricey but not over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern DiningGoodstickChopstickDined on 10/14/2014While the food was fantastic in presentation and quality, however we found the decor to be just a tad too modern for our taste. The flat screen televisions were an unfortunate addition to the otherwise pleasantly quiet atmosphere. The food was excellent, the service was friendly and efficient. The only down side was that we felt like our every move was being scrutinized by some members of the wait staff. We would have preferred they simply come by the table from time to time to see if all was well instead of standing within 6 feet of our table looking to see when we finished one course so the next course could be hurriedly presented. Pricing was competitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi restaurantbeachgal24Dined on 10/3/2014Love the atmosphere & food is delicious. Fresh good quality sushi & a good drink selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nisen -Modern Vibe, Family FriendlyRandi49VIPDined on 8/29/2014Decided to try Nisen because we're getting tired of going to the same places. The vibe in the restaurant is quite modern, blended with industrial. Sorta cool look, although didnt quite fit the location (in the Trader Joe's/TJ Maxx shopping center). Service was good, friendly - especially in watching how kids were treated. Food was good enough - didnt wow me or disappoint me. Prices were slightly on the higher side. Although it wasn't a very memorable experience, that's not necessarily a BAD thing. If you're seeking food that's good enough, service that's good, where families with younger kids seem to go - it's worth a try.Special Features:
- HarryDined on 8/23/2014Too noisy, rolls are not tight enough, they fell apart.Special Features:
- Great local spot for sushicazzyVIPDined on 8/22/2014The sushi is always fresh at Nisen. The bar is very nice also. We had a large cozy booth this time, which was very cool.Special Features:
- niborVIPDined on 8/22/2014special rolls are wonderful….Like commack location better than 110Special Features:
- Food Good... Service Ehhh....DiningDivaDined on 8/16/2014We often frequent sushi places. Nisen is one of our favs. It has significantly fallen off for the service it's given people however. For the price point... The waiters should be more attentive. They definitely leave you wanting to get someone's attention when you need something as you often see people looking around for help. The place was unusually empty for a Saturday night. The TVs on the back wall in the bar area have left guests that are eating in the main area looking over your head to watch it and it can become quite distracting when you are eating against the booth wall. There were big shells left in my crab roll which I wasn't happy about but the sushi overall was good and specials were excellent. I would recommend. Service... Eh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No goodDieselDined on 8/1/2014Made a 7:30pm reservation for 2. Arrived. 7:15pm. Didn't get seated till 8pm. Rear table next to bathroom. Service was terrible.
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014This was our first time eating at Nisen, and I must say we'll definitely be coming back. We began with drinks, sake, mango martini's (just enough alcohol), and red sangria, all deliSh. I started with the miso soup and shrimp gyoza as an appetizer. The miso soup arrived hot and tasteful. The shrimp gyoza had a light crisp to the outside with a moist, flavorsome center, very good. My entree was the 2014 Volcano chef special roll, which I would highly recommend...delicious. My husband had the Nisen roll chef special and a few a la carte sushi rolls, everything was very tasty. The oreo funnel cake is outrageously good, not greasy at all. Also, I forgot my coupon at home and our kind waiter gave us the discount anyways, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- splendid sushibellbiv13VIPDined on 7/9/2014This is the place to go for upscale sushi!! They have creative/inventive specialty rolls as well as many scrumptious appetizers.Special Features:
- Nisen-CommackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Food was only fair. Seems to have gone slightly downhill since our last visit in the spring.
- The following 258 reviews are from the Nisen Sushi - Commack reviews archive.
- DeliciousKitttyVIPDined on 7/2/2014It had good food, friendly service & nice decor. I would highly recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Weekday LunchAnaRDined on 6/23/2014Great venue for a weekday sushi lunch. Lunch Secials have good deals.Excellent food. Good /prompt service. In an out in hour.Special Features:
- What a shameBallofmeatDined on 6/20/2014I've been going to Nisen for years, and it's always been excellent. Last night it was the worst sushi experience I've ever had. From the service to the quality of the sushi chefs rolls, it was terrible. It was 6pm and not that busy and all the tables around us also had similar complaints. We will not be going back to Nisen again.
- Best SushikfontDined on 6/19/2014Freshest Fish and the presentation is wonderful! Great Specialty Rolls! Somewhat pricey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!!MadelizaDined on 6/6/2014The food here was AMAZING!! I gathered here with a few friends for a girls night out and we enjoyed everything we ordered. The sushi was exceptional, but we even love the eggplant appetizer. It is SOOOO good! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Love Nisen!!tuningtechDined on 5/17/2014Another great dining experience at Nisen on Saturday night. It was bustling with a great group of customers and always great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in TowncazzyVIPDined on 5/9/2014You never are dissatisfied when you come here. Even the non sushi eaters can enjoy a great meal. I recommend the organic Chicken DinnerSpecial Features:
- nisen sushiluvitDined on 5/7/2014Very good service and the food is great the waitres was frendly and desribed the menu and all the food and specials very well I will befinatly will be coming back enjoyed everything and my daughter and boyfriend lovedthe sushi and the green tea icecreamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiCenterportfoodieDined on 5/2/2014The sushi choices are excellent....and the presentation is superb! Everything is fresh and delicious. The restaurant is run very professional and the staff go above and beyond trying to please their customers. Once you walk in the restaurant you feel like you are dining in Manhattan. We have been here many times before as a couple or with a group. We will definitely be back!🍴Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Sushi PlaceLBrunoDined on 4/12/2014Nisen is on the top of my list for combination of ambiance, choices of interesting tasty rolls and wonderful martinis. They are consistently good and I try to visit at least a few times a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome dinnerJamesOPPDined on 4/12/2014All the sushi rolls and appetizers we had were absolutely delicious. definitely going back again for sushi. dessert was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodgraberDined on 3/29/2014Great food, good service everyone very pleasant. Not happy with the table I had though. I requested a quiet table when I booked my reservation online and they sat us right in the main walkway. I will defiantly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate SouffleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014Weird to say for a sushi place but hands down one of the best chocolate souffles I've ever had. Worth the wait and I'd go back just for that. The green tea gelato that came with it was good too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi night with the girlsStephVIPDined on 3/28/2014our reservation was for 7 we arrived around 650 a few of the people i came with were there a little earlier and were having some drinks at the bar. once i checked in with the hostess staff that seemed very busy i told them we will be by the back bar while they get the table ready. time went by around 715...they never came to get us until i walked back over and said yes i checked in my party is all here is our table ready we had a reservation for 7. they were able to seat us right away then. but i wonder if i didn't come back to tell them would they come get us? i also do yelp and i noticed that they do offer yelp deals. food was great, service decent, would recommend this place again.Special Features:
- Quality Excellent, Portions SmallerPuckstopperDined on 3/22/2014As always the sushi was excellent but it seems the portions always seem to get smaller.
- Good placeDiningDivaDined on 3/7/2014Ive been to the place many times. On Friday- I entered there were 5 people when I walked in & no one was helping a customer and I stood there while no one greeted me and I began to look for my other party myself then the mgr finally asked if I needed help. I said no I've got it.. & walked myself to our table. The waiter was a very nice guy, he really wasn't there a lot though & we had to often ask the bus boy for help or to get him. He has way too many tables. The food, wine and and appetizers were amazing as always. It took forever for the main course but it was enjoyable. Service was EH overall. I still would recommend this place to others bc the food is that good & when they aren't so busy they are more attentive in the service dept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun AtmosphereLovestoeatDined on 3/1/2014Good food, ambiance, service. Friendly atmosphere just a little slow on the service end. This is a large restaurant with several chef. For this reason the service is slow but friendly and the food is good and nicely presented. I would definitely return to this place knowing that waiting is part of the deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CONSISTENTLY GOODRozDDined on 2/22/2014Tasty, fresh sushi, featuring interesting roles. Lively ambience. A great choice if you're in the mood for a special evening alone or with friends. The only negative: the drinks are mediocre but are on par with Manhattan prices. If you're going to charge $14 for a drink, it should be good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sushi-Tiny PortionsScottyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Very nice sushi & sashimi, but portions are absurdly small. Essentially, it takes 3-4 pieces of their sashimi to equal emost other sushi places portions. That said, the sashimi is of excellent quality & you get to choose between farmed salmon (yecch!) or wild salmon, which is a nice change. Other item, like the "taco" are terrific, but also pricey & small. I never mind paying something of a high price for a great meal, but this is a little excessive for what it is. The chairs are from hunger-couldn't be cheaper or more uncomfortable. They could've done a little better here. Finally, the noise level is extremely high. Still, the food is excellent, so I'll probably return & let my wallet cry all it wants to :).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/22/2014From the minute you walk in the door, you are attended to. The staff is pleasant, helpful and always smiling. The food is fantastic ! ! ! ! !. We were unsure of which specialty roll to get and the waitress made a suggestion . . .the roll was the top table pleaser. Second best being the Volcano 2014 roll. A great experience. I will be back again.Special Features:
- first time there. great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2014first time there. great food, good service, great venue. can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Nisen!DrCynPizzulliVIPDined on 2/15/2014My husband and daughter decided to do a 'day after Valentine's Day' dinner at Nisen and were so happy we did. The special appetizers and rolls were not only delicious but some of the most beautiful I've seen at a Japanese restaurant. Our server was such a sweetheart and we finally were able to sit in one of the comfy booths since we went early. I say this because one of the reasons we don't go to Nisen as often is because I can't stand the hard white chairs they have in the main dining room area. I recommend that when you make a reservation you try to request the booth if you are able to.Special Features:
- Food & service: excellentMovingTargetDined on 2/14/2014It was packed the night we went with a very lively bar scene. (They have a good jalapeño mango martini-yum). Manager made sure we got seated promptly anyway. The best things to order are their rolls and we ordered mango Hawaii roll, Scottish goat roll,Dix hills roll and TNT roll which was our favorite. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little long of a wait for sushiYumYumDined on 2/14/2014Everything was delicious as always at Nisen. However as expected on valentines day we waited extra long for our dinner. It was a beautiful atmosphere, we requested a booth and were able to sit at one on such a busy night. It was perfect because we had our daughter with us. Great valentines day. Delicious specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nissen is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant is very good and has to be supported by everyone who loves good fresh Japanese foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not openVinceDined on 2/13/2014Booked reservation 2 hours before. They accepted and were closed. Drove 20 mins. Thanks open table. Great service
- Good food bad serviceLuv2dineDined on 2/7/2014The good here was fantastic! One of the best sushi I have had! The service here was terrible. They stuck us right by the bathrooms even though we had a reservation and asked for a booth. They were very rude to us and acted like they were too good to be serving us. Our waiter was exceptionally nice and got everything we asked for. The hostesses need more mannerS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodseafoodyDined on 2/1/2014Nisen Sushi looks and feels like an upscale NYC restaurant. The sushi is very fresh and tasty. The appetizers are original and delicious. Service is always very good. We go there often.Special Features: