910 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nine-ten.com/
- Phone: (858) 964-5400
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Breakfast: Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00pm - 2:30pm
Bar Menu: Daily: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Knibb
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3-Course Dinner-$55 per person/$75 with wine pairings. Nightly.
Happy Hour-1/2 Priced Bar Menu; Drink Specials. 3:30-6:30pm Mon-Fri.
1/2-Priced Wine. Wed. 6-10pm. Dining Room Only.
3-Course Lunch-$24 per person. 11:30am-2:30pm daily.
A word from NINE-TEN
An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by chef Jason Knibb and pastry chef Rachel King, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla’s Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or ocean-view terrace. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
NINE-TEN reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (52)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (33)great for outdoor dining (30)great for brunch (21)good for groups (21)hot spot (13)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Pricy, Good Food, Lacks wow factorfoodieintrainingDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I don't go out to nice restaurants as much as we'd like. When we do, we're looking for innovative dishes with flavorful punches. We were expecting that with Nine-Ten but it didn't deliver. We enjoyed our meals, good service, good ambiance....but for the price we paid, I was hoping for more.
- KlokVIPDined on 11/21/2014we are regular guests and celebrated our wedding with 4 friends Friday. Still our favorite restaurant for exceptional food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Great services, delicious food, quiet ambience. But the worse coffee I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok......lovetodineVIPDined on 11/15/2014I was excited to finally eat at nine ten and I was a little disappointed. The food was ok, not great, Service was ok, not great and i had a good time, not great. Overall I would tell people to try it out. If you go, try to eat out on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formal Dinner was fantastic both food and serviceGaryGunsDined on 11/14/2014Formal Dinner was fantastic both food and service but a little over priced. Breakfast was very good and the service was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014One of the best food in La Jolla with amazing choice of dishes and specials as the white truffles risotto or the Jamaican Pork belly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/4/2014Service wasn't very prompt despite there was almost no people in dining room. Also requested seating outside, was told an event was planned for the space. When we left there was nobody at outside balcony. Disappointing.Special Features:
- Spectacular tasting menuFoodieDined on 11/2/2014Celebrated our anniversary and let them know when we made the reservation that it was a celebration. Before we arrived someone called to ask about allergies, etc. When we arrived we were presented a card signed by the entire staff. We ordered the Chef's surprise, a multi-course tasting menu paired with wines. Every dish was beautifully prepared and plated, a feast for the eyes and palate. For most of the courses we were served different plates so we had a chance to taste many of the menu offerings and wines by sharing-a great thing for foodies. A superb meal. YUM! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014The food was incredible and the wine choice was unbelievable. All the food was delicious, well presented...our best meal out ever!Special Features:
- Best in LaJolla!GolferGirlVIPDined on 10/31/2014Had a wonderful dinner recently at Nine Ten with friends before heading to LaJolla Playhouse for a show. The waiter was very friendly and efficient. He is French so my husband enjoyed practicing his French as they carried on a conversation! The food arrived timely and was delicious! I had the short ribs which were excellant. My husband opted for a sea bass dish and the sauce on it was great! The chocolate dessert was a bit much for me, but my husband loved it! Definitely a terrific place to dine when in LaJolla.Special Features:
- perfectgailgDined on 10/30/2014Our group of 4 tried the 3-course meal with wine pairings and loved every aspect of it - so much that we returned the next night and did it again! The second night we were even treated with an appetizer and Proseco before our meal. You can pick what you want from the menu and our server had a wide range of wines to complement each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lunchBrianDined on 10/28/2014When I meet clients and friends, i try to do so at this place. The food is consistently great and the place always appears to be clean!Special Features:
- Celebratory DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/27/2014Having passed an exam earlier that day my friends and I decided to try 910. This was a place that I have been wanting to try for some time. There was another restaurant that we were considering that ended up being closed that day and boy were we thankful because the food and service truly were amazing. I am so sorry that I waited so long to visit this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cousineJSR1Dined on 10/25/2014We had dinner on Saturday night and brunch on Sunday morning. The food was amazing, with each course surpassing the prior. There was nothing that wasn't superior! If you know great food, you'll love 9/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience!FineDiningDuoDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I have enjoyed several anniversary meals at this fine establishment over the years. Marking some of our major milestones by returning to see what kind of multi-sensory experience the chef and his team can deliver. Our latest visit was no exception to what has been a very positive and memorable series of exceptional meals (both food and service included). Like a fine wine, Nine-Ten gets even better with age. We both have to recommend the "mercy of the chef" prix fixe multi-course surprise dinner. You will not be disappointed. Our compliments to Executive Chef Jason Knibb - CRA's 2014 San Diego Chef of the Year. The entire team went above and beyond to make our dinner an occasion to remember for many years to come. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and Unique FlavorsfoodmacDined on 10/21/2014I really enjoyed Nine-ten not only for their romantic yet trendy decor, but their delicious and unique flavors. I had the pumpkin encrusted lamb it was so enjoyable. Every bite was slightly different and made me put my fork and knife down out of pure ecstasy. It is not very large portions so I recommend the $55 3 course meal. Nothing was off limits with the deal and for the quality of food and service this was a very reasonable price. I would highly recommend to my friends for a date or celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice fir a meal in La JollacnmgVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is a very nice restaurant. We had the tasting menu that the cheff surprised us with. I had the wine pairing. The food was beautiful and tasty. The wine complemented it very well. My husband and I got different dishes which was very nice as we tasted almost the whole menu and they were all wonderful dishes. This is a great restaurant. It was open Monday and it serves all meals of the day. They were serving soup outside for the Taste of La Jolla and that was obviously very popular as there were hoards of peple in line there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsDarcyDined on 10/17/2014Nine-ten truly never disappoints! The menu has unique items and we are always confident that whatever we order we will be fresh and delicious. The service is top-notch, unlike 99% of what is found in San Diego. It's obvious that a lot of attention is made to making sure the wait staff is well trained. The bar is usually busy and can be noisy but the dining area is set apart from it so you can actually hear the people you are with! It is also conveniently located in the heart of La Jolla. It has no view, but is still one of the best places to dine in the area.Special Features:
- Great BreakfastFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I normally come here for dinner, but always wanted to try breakfast here. Boy was it good! All of the recommendation that our waiter suggested were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistant and dependableRelgaVIPDined on 10/7/2014You can count on Nine Ten. It is consistent and dependable the two most underrated words in life. My only issue is it is pricey especially if you want to drink. We shared a starter and each had the short riib entree and one glass of wine. The bill was $140. That felt high to meSpecial Features:
- Terrific dinnerBillDined on 10/5/2014The duck breast was wonderful, perfectly cooked, moist and tender. The Lobster appetizer special was creative and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014The overall ambiance and food are what always bring us back. Beautiful small modern room, but still very comfortable. Great food that does the "local/seasonal" thing without changing too frequently. Servers are always knowledgeable and efficient. The reason for the lower service score is purely subjective; while our server the last few times is clearly a professional, his style/manner just rubs us the wrong way. A bit too over the top for us, particularly as everyone else on the staff seems "quiet" and almost serene.Special Features:
- Simply GreatChrisDined on 10/4/2014Came here for our 20th anniversary. A special meal for a special event. The duck was fantastic, as was the sashimi. My wife's steak was perfectly cooked. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuestionableSteveADined on 10/4/2014I had reservation an showed up on time. Seated promptly and served promptly. However Open Table sent me a negative E-mail stating that I didnot honor my reservations. This is not right. I sent a response to Open Table and they refuse to acknowledge that a mistake was made. I presented them with my receipt and room charge to my hotel. Still no response from Open Table. I will not use the restaurant or Open Table again. My company will no longer use the hotel for our out of town guests. A simple acknowledgement that a mistake was made would have been acceptable.
- always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014We always enjoy this restaurant. It was pretty loud at first, but then was quiet enough for good conversation. Every choice of food was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent of kindBigdinnerDined on 9/30/2014Delicious food, excellent service,limited menu if you do not like seafood.Special Features:
- Probably won't return.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014Pretty disappointing lunch. Three salads ordered: two smoked salmon, one Nicoise. Re the former, the salmon was razor thin, as if from a super market package, and buried under a huge mound of arugula, with a not-particularly-notable vinaigrette dressing. The albacore in the Nicoise salad was overcooked and chewy, potatoes and tomatoes were sparse. As with the other salads, there was way too much arugula.
- Nine Ten never disappointsJeremyVIPDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I have been going here for 7 years. Always great food and great customer service at a great location. If you haven't been, you won't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening dinnerannieDined on 9/28/2014I've eaten here for dinner and lunch, and I've loved it, so I was surprised by the limited Sunday evening menu. The bread was cold and service was ok. Not sure why Sunday is any different, if you are going to be open then you should open it up like the rest of the week and offer more on your menu.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Food was exquisite, the server explained the courses and their accompanying wines thoroughly. Reservation was hassle free. Recommended to my friends for special occasions.Special Features:
- BestfinediningDined on 9/25/2014Nine-Ten is our favorite fine dining restaurant. The food, service and wine list are impeccable and they make dining at Nine-Ten feel like a special occasion. We love the fact that it feels local, intimate and not touristy.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningRootieDined on 9/24/2014What a great place to celebrate a birthday! I took a friend to dinner to celebrate during Restaurant Week. There were two more options to choose from the Restaurant Week. Both options were fabulous. The food is consistently wonderful here. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Diego Coastal ClassicJacquesGDined on 9/23/2014On La Jolla's beautiful coast in a classic, beautiful Colonial Grande Hotel is NINE-TEN, where excellent service, quaint ambiance and fine dining come together to create a terrific experience. It was restaurant week so not always making the "best", I think that Chef Jason put together some well above average selections, including a delicious agnolotti with butter poached lobster, a delicious sashimi crude and excellent duck breast. My only thing to not give the food a perfect score is I think the duck was a little under done, but still well prepared and delicious. Pastry chef also hit the mark with vanilla flan that was as good to look at as it was to eat. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing servicenormalguyDined on 9/23/2014The service we received was top notch and I'm not the easiest to please so kudos to the staff. Food was very good, had the spaghettini to start very good would recommend, had the duck for main coarse, was good, however one piece of the duck was under cooked the fat wasn't fully rendered(slightly chewy), but over all still a very good dish. Wife had the pork belly starter was excellent. She had the short rib for the main, felt it was a little under garnished but what garnish was there was really good(pickled beats very nice). Over a very good experience would eat there again.Special Features:
- Excellent food, so-so ServiceIndigoDined on 9/21/2014Chef Knibb did a fabulous job with the restaurant week menu. I had the Hay Smoked Duck and it's one of the best duck dishes I've eaten in a long time. The only complain I had was we were seated in the terrace with 8 tables and one server. The server was very good but with 8 tables, even he couldn't provide great service to the guests. There were long periods of silence, like sitting down for 15 minutes before getting approached and getting water, waiting a long time for the entrees, and not having the dishes cleared while the bus person was busy setting a table nearby for the morning breakfast service. We sill enjoyed our meal and would definitely return but we know that Nine-Ten can do much better service than what we had.Special Features:
- Amazing Dining OpportunityihightowDined on 9/21/2014Came for restaurant week and was so pleased with everything. Every dish was meticulously prepared and service was on spot. Our server Chris was so good at suggestions, prepped our wine pairings even when it wasn't on the menu, and was so much fun to work with. The dining room was smaller than I expected, but that made for exclusive and intimate dining. Taste of every item was beyond compare. Definite 5 star dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ReviewDplumlyDined on 9/21/2014I came here with my bf and another couple for restaurant week. I had been previously a few years ago and my expectations were high. This visit did not meet my expectations from my previous visit. I had to send back my main entree because the black cod was overly salty. We had to ask for my boyfriend to get his wine pairing serving because they kept forgetting it - and it came out after he finished the plate already (not quite a pairing anymore). My girlfriend ordered specifics for her dessert (lactose intolerant) and her dessert still came out with the dairy. The lamb and the short rib entrees were amazing and the pork belly and the burrata appetizers were fantastic, but I guess when I pay that much, I just expect a bit more perfection.Special Features:
- NiceGriffdnb8Dined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to la jolla and yet again it delivered. Great cocktails at the bar, friendly service, starters fantastic, jerk pork delivered, melt in your mouth spicy, beautiful plating, mains were fantastic, steak and the Cod, fSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014As usual we had a fantastic meal! The food is super creative with perfect wine parings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals of my life!Happycustomer1Dined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner at Nine-Ten for his birthday this past weekend. The entire experienced was amazing. Besides the great service and quiet romantic ambiance, it was really the food which stood out. We had the 3 course menu. Each plate of food was beautifully plated and seasoned to perfection. I'm not typically a whiskey person, but the Rick James was so smooth. It was not just a great dinner, but truly an amazing dining experience which pleased all the senses - sight, smell, sound, taste, and touch. We will definitely be going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.