910 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nine-ten.com/
- Phone: 8589645400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Breakfast: Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00pm - 2:30pm
Bar Menu: Daily: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Knibb
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3-Course Dinner-$55 per person/$75 with wine pairings. Nightly.
Happy Hour-1/2 Priced Bar Menu; Drink Specials. 3:30-6:30pm Mon-Fri.
1/2-Priced Wine. Wed. 6-10pm. Dining Room Only.
3-Course Lunch-$24 per person. 11:30am-2:30pm daily.
A word from NINE-TEN
An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by chef Jason Knibb and pastry chef Rachel King, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla’s Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or ocean-view terrace. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
NINE-TEN reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (71)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (38)great for outdoor dining (36)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (19)scenic view (17)good for groups (15)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- FabulousShelleydDined on 9/10/2014I am always amazed with the food. Chef Jason is a genius. The soup is always fresh and delicious with so many flavors the short ribs fall apart and melt in your mouth and as the deserts I am always torn as they are so delicious. I had the fennel cake raspberry and fig this time. You can never go wrong with anything in this menu. It has been my favorite place for a long time. No other place comes close to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Nine-Ten has been our go to restaurant for special occasions. We went there for our anniversary, and as usual, the food did not disappoint. Creamy burrata with speck, and an awesome tomato puree soup were great appetizers. The roasted eggplant and falafel entree was wonderfully spiced and the falafel was the best I've had outside the Middle East. The wild salmon entree was also great. Two things soured our experience, however. First, the wine pours for the three course menu with wine pairing were quite stingy. Second, there was a $21 overcharge on our bill. Mistakes can happen, but it definitely took away from what was otherwise a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Outstanding food and the service was very good. Instead of an entree went with 3 appetizers and each one was better than the previous.Special Features:
- Ten out of Ten for Nine Ten!NJfoodlover37Dined on 8/31/2014Friendly and informed service was just the beginning at this highly recommended restaurant. The pickled mushrooms and scallion vinaigrette presentation of hamachi sashimi was unexpected and delicious, and my 36-hour braised short rib melted like butter. My companion's fresh and interesting salad combination of stone fruits and burrata was followed by perfectly cooked Colorado lamb. A decadently rich chocolate dessert was an outstanding end to an exquisite meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9-10 is a 10Dude4foodDined on 8/30/2014The soup du jour was creamy mushroom. Divine! And as a bonus , had no cream! Tums carpaccio is a staple on the menu. It should never leave. Great texture and Asian overtones flavor. Lamb was fantastic. Hats off to Chef Jason. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014We ate here for brunch on a Saturday. It was fairly empty. We had a nice spot on the shaded patio. Service was excellent, as were the brunch dishes. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Wish service met quality of foodRibsyVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food is always very good. But the room is dull and the service was unattentive and dismissive. Even the hostess seemed depressed.Special Features:
- Chef's Mercy with wine pairingsRoundAndAboutDined on 8/26/2014We decided to let the chef make the decisions, we went with the five course Chefs Mercy and it was completely enjoyable. Each dish was superbly paired with a wine from the vast assortment of offerings from the wine list. The Nine-Ten is an excellent choice for a world class meal with a not so uptight atmosphere in a beautiful and relaxing setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious restaurant for lunchruthiwVIPDined on 8/25/2014I have only come here for dinner but each visit has had delicious offerings. The hamburger is a great size for lunch but not large. Salads are also great lunch size. Service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- Not what I expected!!Foodtodie4Dined on 8/22/2014At first the night started out great and then after we ordered it all went down hill. We ordered appetizers and it took 45 mins to get them brought out. I ordered the Jerk Pork Belly and my wife ordered the Yellowtail so I have no idea why it took 45 min to deliver. Then our entrees were brought out after about another 45 min. When the entrees were brought out I had the sea bass which was really good. My wife had the steak and asked for it to be prepared medium rare. The steak was brought out and the color looked great until she took a bite and found out it was ice cold. Took the steak put back on the grill to heat it up, this burnt the steak and then asked to cut into to make sure it wasn't just charred on the outside it was burnt.
- Nice place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Lunch meeting with one other person, good service. Valet parking very convenient.Special Features:
- Dinner was amazingottorama41Dined on 8/18/2014I cannot give this place enough praise! The service was amazing, the food great and price reasonable.Special Features:
- Elegant food and beautiful platingfood24Dined on 8/17/2014We ordered 3 course menu & added an appetizer of the egg yolk ravioli. The duck confit on there was very moist & pasta cooked perfectly. We both ordered Jamaican pork belly, it had good flavor but I hoped the pork belly was more tender. I couldnt cut it with my knife that well. For entree we got the ny steak which was cooked perfectly & it had so many components that really went well together not to mention stunning plate. The sea bass also cooked perfectly and very inventive pairings. The dessert, corn waffle had great corn flavor but the waffle was too soft for my liking. The other dessert was the fig and raspberries. The chiffon cake was more dense and spongy then a classical chiffon cake but the flavors were both sweet and tart.Special Features:
- Always goodzipporahVIPDined on 8/16/2014Nine-Ten never lets us down. We typically go for breakfast before enjoying a stroll at the cove. They have a nice variety of menu items so everyone can get something they like. We particularly enjoy the short rib hash and the omelets. There is outdoor seating both sidewalk level at the front and on a private patio in the back. The weekend morning staff is particularly friendly to our (rather messy) baby.Special Features:
- Always a treat to go to Nine-TencackieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Please bring back your potato chips (so love that over the bread basket). My children were sad you don't make them. Soups are always wonderful. Really enjoyed my fancy salmon.Special Features:
- Return we shallWhitemiceVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love this restaurant. If there was a bit more variety and more selection in the menu, it would be a 5 star experience. We are always treated well here. The experience is superior to any other hotel restaurant in the area--as if it is a stand-alone operation. Suffice it to say that we will return as often as our pocketbook will allow. It would be nice if there were designations of gluten free and vegan options for those who are so inclined.
- Loved itBahamafoodieDined on 8/6/2014We had an incredible evening. Every plate was designed with creativity and flare and tasted as amazing as it looked. Our server Amy could not hv been any better:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacesweetieDined on 7/31/2014The service was great. Our waiter gave excellent suggestions and answered many of our questions. We took out of town friends and they were amazed. The food was great all around. We love the entire dinning experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less dependable when busyOpentable23VIPDined on 7/30/2014Essentially a good restaurant for La Jolla. Two recent visits for lunch and dinner did not make me want to return for awhile. Service not organized, salads very nice, entrees uneven. Sea bass entree was terrible.
- Delicious with great serviceLove2dineVIPDined on 7/28/2014I had the salmon with a glass of wine. Both were amazing. The service was great and we had a beautiful view on the patio.Special Features:
- CDIIVIPDined on 7/27/2014High quality food and service - you pay for it but it's worth it. Was staying at the hotel and decided to have breakfast there with my family. Had traditional eggs bene, fresh berries - all excellent. Waiter brought me a fig muffin from their pastry bar-very good also. The rest of my family also enjoyed their breakfast. Will definitely be back to try lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!15yearsDined on 7/26/2014It is far and away our favorite restaurant anywhere!Special Features:
- LizzDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant was outstanding. Every bite was perfection!Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful with the menu and wines. Additionally, our two children were with us, and they loved their dinner! The atmosphere was terrific, and the entire experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch for the AreaFritzDined on 7/19/2014Took my fiancé here for her birthday. We had the "Chef's Mercy" dinner with the wine pairings. Everything that came to the table was delicious. I have seen complaints about serving size. Serving size was perfect - Enough to enjoy taste and texture thoroughly, but not enough to lessen enjoyment of the coming courses. By the end of the meal I was sated, my fiancé said she actually overate just a bit. A few quibbles: The courses came just a tad too quickly. We like a little time between courses to talk and relax. Just a personal preference. Also, I would have liked to have tried the pork belly. But then, I could have made a special request. It just gives us a good reason to come back. Overall we were both delighted. A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineLajolladinnerDined on 7/18/2014Service was excellent. Staff was very friendly. Food was excellent. Enjoyed a great bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful choice for a special mealNJDinerDined on 7/17/2014We visited San Diego for a trip for our wedding anniversary, and had a recommendation to have dinner at NINE-TEN. We had a wonderful meal! Our server was fabulous... she made recommendations to us for specials, wine, and desserts, and they were all wonderful! She was very personable and attentive throughout our meal. The food was prepared and presented beautifully. Everything we had was delicious. They made this a special night for us - there was a card waiting for us at our table, signed by the restaurant staff, and they brought us dessert on the house. We had a fabulous experience, and will definitely return when we're back in the San Diego area next time!Special Features:
- Fancy and Romantic Dinnerbobbz64Dined on 7/11/2014I took my girlfriend out for her birthday here and everything worked out really well. We got the 3 course market meal with wine pairings and every course was delicious and amazingly presented. The wine pairings were delicious and they had a card and champagne for my girlfriend. Romantic and intimate. Was pricey but the quality matched the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CASunniesDined on 7/5/2014Excellent evening. Chef Jason was at his best! Our party of four indulged in the Mercy of the Chef prix fixe with wine pairing. It was the first time we braved uni in the same sitting with some of the finest prepared lamb ever. Chef Jason happily split the offerings, two of one dish and two of another among our party so we had ample opportunity to cross-taste to our delight. The portions were perfect! We left feeling comfortably full, but not overstuffed. Attention all Foodies! This place is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to know aboutPrivateDInerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Was just visiting and found the restaurant to be really good for breakfast, lunch and dinner OR the Bar, has a great menu as well and excellent cocktails. The bartender Sarah is fantastic , pretty with a great smile and the waitress Erica could not have been more helpful or charming. If you live near by or visit, definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- Great place for a special mealjdg1883VIPDined on 7/1/2014I have loved every meal I have had at NINE-TEN. They keep the menu simple in the number of options, and yet somehow have a wide variety of dishes. I really like the Three Course Meal option for a special dinner, especially when dining with another person because it's fun to get to try the different dishes they create. Service has always been top-notch as well. Definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Fine dining in okay atmosphereTheJudgeVIPDined on 6/28/2014The three courses I did have were each fantastic in their own right as well as having a fine presentation. Started with a beet salad that was a good size and full of different beets and some other tasty elements, including some crushed pistachios. The Colorado lamb saw three nice pieces of very tasty meat, with just a hint of the game flavor. The jus was inside of small cups that were actually onions. Dessert was the Half Baked Chocolate Cake, which was a nice combination of cake (more done than not), caramel and vanilla ice cream. A little soupy on top over the warm cake gives it its name. Good service complemented good food. Overall, excellent choice provided you are willing to pay the slightly high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing2foodiesinluvDined on 6/28/2014My husband found this gem mentioned in San Diego magazine and thought we would give it a try. So glad we did! Extraordinary cuisine! Every dish was beautifully and artfully plated, every bite was a savory delight. We had the fortune of sitting next to a table of foodies and chefs who told us of the honors that Chef Jason has received. Our server, Chris, was wonderful, taking time to answer questions and give recommendations on selections. If I had to select one highlight it would be the Half-Baked Chocolate Cake: the most delicious, melt-in-my-mouth dessert that I have ever had! It is no surprise that Chef Jason was selected as San Diego Chef of the Year 2014. We would return to San Diego from our east coast home just to eat there again.Special Features:
- AnniversaryEddiVIPDined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary enjoying dinner and a partial ocean view from the patio. Dinner was delicious! We were both very pleased with our entree choices, steak and scallops. We also ordered hamachi sashimi from the list of appetizers. We will return to enjoy another wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Overkill?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Appreciate the creative energy from the chef, but the beet salad and the halibut presentations were just a bit over the top, my palate was challenged and had to work too hard.Special Features:
- AnniversaryRosieDined on 6/27/2014Thanks for making our 50th really special! The quiet balcony, beautiful evening and absolutely perfect food made for a great evening.Special Features:
- Perfect!FanoftheLadyBirdDined on 6/26/2014This was our best meal in La Jolla during our week vacation. The service is impeccable. The menu is innovative, fresh, and everything we ordered was delicious. We sat on the terrace and it was just lovely. I would definitely plan to eat here every trip to this perfect village!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantDrDeeDined on 6/23/2014Food, ambience, service were absolutely amazing. Chris, our server, was the best server I have ever had! We had the 3-course menu with wine. Chris brought the bottles of wine to the table and talked about each as he poured. Due to variability of ordering, he had three bottles for each course. The roasted beet salad, the California lamb, the pistachio-chocolate mousse, the beef tartare, the steak, the cheese plate; all were superb. It's no wonder that the Chef was named San Diego Chef of the Year for 2014.Special Features:
- Hotel food that's good?!?!FoodieNinjaDined on 6/21/2014I would never call this hotel food by any means, but being in a hotel I had my concerns. Those were quickly put away once we sat on the outside terrace and were handed the menus and wine list. The food all sounded amazing! It was hard to choose but once we narrowed it down we were very happy with what we ordered. Our only complaint was our stomach's weren't bigger. Then dessert came and again we just couldn't get enough. Next time we are in La Jolla it will be a destination we head back to for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We had the chef's choice and were delighted. When I shared with my Wife it was like getting to taste almost the entire menu. What a great idea. We each had different menu items and shared them to get even more variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.