27 West Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nina-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-344-6800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Franz Brendle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room can accomodate up to 60 Guests. Prix Fixe menus are available for Lunch and Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Franz Brendle 8453446800
A word from Nina
Nina, located in a vintage 1800’s storefront in downtown Middletown, has become one of Orange County’s most beloved restaurants. With cozy brick walls and burnished tin ceiling the sophisticated, yet relaxed atmosphere is reminiscent of New York City's Soho. Chef Franz’s innovative international cuisine has received accolades from customers and critics alike. Nina is listed in Zagat Surveys Top US Restaurants 2009 Survey, and has received the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator in 2007 & 2008. Nina has also received the prestigious Five Star Diamond Award. Dine at Nina and enjoy award winning cuisine, fabulous wines and spirits and friendly unpretentious service, in an intimate, relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nina reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (14)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (7)good for groups (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Not impressed this timeLuvtodineoutDined on 10/17/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and enjoyed great food and service, until our last visit. As in the past the food was excellent but the service left a lot to be desired. The waiter was actually rude a couple of times and showed no interest in his job. He got my drink order wrong and was arrogant that he was right and I was wrong. Two of our wine glasses were spotted and when we pointed it out and asked for replacements he was annoyed and showed it. We will try again because of past excellence and I hope this was just a bad night. They also did not have our reservation recorded even thought I received a confirmation on line.
- Business LunchTedMVIPDined on 10/8/2014Nicely prepared and tasty dishes. The mushroom soup was good to the last spoonful and the short rib sandwich was succulently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014We have been happily dining at Nina since it opened, but had stopped going about six months ago. Over the past year the restaurant had seemed to be in a state of decline. No one acknowledged your arrival. The menus were worn and food-stained. The bathrooms were not cleaned. The overall quality of the food and the presentation had suffered as well. We decided to give it another shot last Saturday and everything was divine. We are glad to have our favorite local restaurant back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to homeRadpadDined on 8/29/2014It was a really nice place.....my wife & I enjoyed it a lot ...it was close to home which is nice cause we usually head down to Jersey or NYC...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definately worth the moneyShortyDined on 8/25/2014The Short ribs are the best I have ever had. The special of the day was halibut in a francese sauce it was incredible. It was a second dinner for our 21st anniversary so its a special place wouldn't bring kids, very cozy place with historic ambiance...the duck lasagna was also a pallet pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Middletown!BossVIPDined on 8/19/2014I travel to Middletown often for work, and struggle to find decent restaurants to eat at. I saw Nina's on OpenTable and decided to give it a shot. I ordered soup, appetizer and entrée all from the nightly specials. I started with a bowl of cream of potato soup, topped with bacon and chives. This was arguably the best potato soups I've had. Perfect consistency, and delicious. Then, an order of Blue Point Oysters, broiled, topped with a cilantro pesto. Delicious. For my entrée I ordered the seared duck breast, with an Apricot salsa. I wasn't asked how I would like the duck and it did come out a little well done, but was still flavourful and tender. Overall a great experience, and a a place I would return to again as well as recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingRLSMDVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was not up to par. They did not have any of the liquor that was on the menu. They brought a drink for my friend that was supposed to be jack Daniels, but they ran out of it and added jack Daniels honey which my friend hates. They did not have any of the other liquor that was on the menu. The wine we wanted was not available. Service was very slow. My friend ordered a diet coke and the waiter forgot him. The waiter was not very friendly. He never came to the table to ask if everything was ok. The food was served cold. We were seated at table 23. The rest room was not clean
- This time was badLovetoDineoutDined on 8/16/2014My steak was over cooked and burnt on one side. My potates were under cooked. We oick three bolltels of wine and they were out of all of them. The first time we dine here is was great, 2nd time we had the issue with the wine but only with two bottles. Do not think we will be dining here again, the price is too high for this type of service we got.Special Features:
- Disappointed at bit!NanTDined on 8/12/20148/12/2014 - I got endive salad which wasn't a salad as I expected. The leaves were laying on plate separate from other ingredients, sort of a build your self salad. Dressing squirted on the leaves in globs as if dressing kept getting stuck in the pastry bag offering a bad presentation. Fondue Pot, not sure its worth $16.00 w/ bread cubes, few apple slices and four little rolled pieces of prosciutto. Dinners were good. Dessert - apple tart and breading pudding both probably made a while ago, if made there at all, they could have been Sysco desserts not sure. They were hard and had strong refridgeration taste to them. Server seemed like he had some place to be and a little annoyed at times. We couldn't put our finger on demeanor.Special Features:
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We had my parent's 50th anniversary celebration here. Food and service were great. Noise level a bit much for old people (beautiful embossed tin ceilings had the unfortunate side effect of bad acoustics) but they still enjoyed themselves.Special Features:
- Great lunch choiceoperafanVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were visiting friends in area and found Nina's based on good reviews. They were right! The lunch menu was huge. We all had salads which were excellent and a bit unusual. Shared the scallop appetizer, and the peanut butter chocolate cake (special of the day), and both were excellent. The service was excellent also. Only downsides - coffee was too strong (like starbucks, which we all hate), and ladies room had a slightly musty odor. But well worth it!Special Features:
- Excellent!CEPlusCDDined on 8/4/2014We found Nina's in Middletown, NY through Trip Advisor recommendation on a recent road trip to Maine. The food was outstanding as was the service. We had Braised Short Ribs and Osso Bucco...both were terrific. We wouldn't hesitate to visit again! Thanks.Special Features:
- DONOTCOUNTYOURCHICKENSDined on 8/2/2014COQ AU VIN A DISAPPOINTMENT. THE FIRST TIME A MONTH AGO IT WAS VERY MEMORABLE, VERY VERY DRY. THE STEAK FRITE AS USUAL WONDERFULSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A Nice PlaceluvagoodmealDined on 7/21/2014Have dined at Nina's many times. Had the filet mignon special and friend had shrimp with risotto dish. She loved the shrimp classic as always. My filet was a little bland, despite a mustard horseradish sauce, and surprisingly chewy. The crispy onion topping saved it for me and it all tasted better as lunch the next day. For dessert, I had a Bailey's cheesecake and it was disappointing. Oh, best dish of the evening: goat cheese, with cherry tomatoes, pesto on crustini as an appetizer. Should have chosen two more plates of this as my main course. All in all, an enjoyable time and no restaurant can be perfect all the time. I still love Nina's and will go there again. A little chewiness in the filet could never keep me away!Special Features:
- Lunch with friendsraretreatDined on 7/21/2014Our table was set and ready when I arrived. The waitress was relaxed, friendly and informative. The lunch menu varied and everything my friends and I ate was delicious. We had a separated dining area and our laughter apparently did not disturber others. Nina's is always a good choice for lunch but does cost more than less upscale dinning places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Long TripSuzieDined on 7/19/2014We met a relative at Nina's in Middletown, an hour from home, not expecting a special culinary experience and was pleasantly surprised. The food was creative, but not too fussy, the menu had a variety of pleasing choices, the service was appropriately attentive, and the dining room decor, while amateurish, was comfortable and quite good enough. We ordered appetizers, main courses and dessert. Everything came out timely and was delicious. Items included the calamari, mozzarella, soup, short ribs, snapper, and steak. The mashed potatoes were so creamy and delicious. No question we will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014This was amazing as ever. Thank you for the amazing service and the great serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014The food was OK, but when our check came, most of the prices were increased by $1. We had to prove it to the waiter by asking to compare the prices to the menu. This added an unpleasant flavor to the dining experience. We will not go to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- A disappointing experienceLaurieDined on 6/28/2014Made a reservation for lunch for my son's high school graduation celebration. I wanted it to be a special day for him. There was a large event going on, a wedding or baby shower. I do not blame the wait staff who were clearly overworked. The restaurant should have closed if they could not treat a small party well. We waited to have our order taken. The food was not presented well and was mediocre at best. No bread was served. Very disappointing experience. I understand it was a special day for someone in that large party, but it was a special day for us too....
- Down Hilldiner1992Dined on 6/27/2014My husband and I used to frequently dine at Nina. Although we enjoy the atmosphere, the service, and wine, the food is subpar. The soup we recently had was cold, the fillet mignon was charred -- I mean tasted burned -- (as it has on several occasions), and the desert tasted old (like it had been in the refrigerator for DAYS). You might ask why we didn't return the food: this has happened so many times at this point that we felt there was no point, and we just wanted to leave. We are pretty much done with Nina now; there are other restaurants that are more reasonably priced that serve better quality food. My husband proposed to me at Nina, and so the reality that we will not be returning is particularly disheartening.Special Features:
- Probably not againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014This was our 2nd visit. The first was marred by very loud diners, killing the mood. This time, the food was really good, just not as good as the price called for. Our server was very good. Probably not likely to visit here again soon. Again, good food, just moderately overpriced.
- The following 474 reviews are from the Nina reviews archive.
- Nina restaurant in Middletown N.Y.AntigaluDined on 6/20/2014The food and service are excellent. The only problem is it is a little overpriced in my opinion. Three appetizers one entree two glasses of wine and one mixed drink. the portions were on the small sIde. it is an upscale restaurant but at just over $100 it's a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in the areaNYCtravVIPDined on 6/19/2014Middletown is not a gourmet mecca but Nina's certainly helps to give the area a needed outpost of good food in a relaxing environment. While they were out of a couple of items, what we did have was excellent and presented by an amiable staff.Special Features:
- Brilliant Ambiance!Dine4pleasureDined on 6/12/2014My husband and I came for dinner after a business trip. It was a quiet, dim and relaxing. We shared a bottle of red wine and enjoyed their arugula salad with asparagus, steak and jumbo shrimp. Everything was beautifully presented and succulent. We needed this time together and Nina's gave us exactly that, at time to unwind and regroup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great late dinnerMrHudsonValleyDined on 6/2/2014Went with my wife and young daughter for a late dinner. Service was great. Food was great. Loved the atmosphere. Had never been there, will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic and modern, priceywinendineDined on 6/1/2014Ended up going to Nina 3 times in 24 hours. Service is weirdly not available when you want them to be, even in a practically empty room, unless you happen to be personal friends of theirs. We enjoy eating several small plates over a large meal and ended up having pretty much the whole left side of the menu; best were the Bluepoint oyster specials, gnocchi dishes, salads. Calamari, goat cheese terrine, and fondue pretty ordinary. Brunch was delish and high quality and plentiful, had the Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon (egg was perfectly poached, Hollandaise tart and buttery). I'd recommend the place for some good food if you're willing to pay the price (in pride and money); attitudes match the decor, stylish, and a little contrived.Special Features:
- llkmDined on 5/28/2014Food is always excellent! Only complaint is that the creme brûlée would be much better warm or room temperature.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch you would think that someone would assume to have a kid friendly entry on the menu. Wouldn't have been a problem if we could've had the "steak and cheese omelette" without the steak. Sorry we're too busy to omit the steak. That's actually what the waitress said.
- Can't go wrongnpcollectorDined on 5/10/2014I have dined at Nina many times and you simply can't go wrong. The steak frit is my particular favorite, while my husband prefers the short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food at Nina was unexpectedly wonderful for a restaurant in the middle of Middlteown, New York. The owners deserve a lot of credit for delivering dishes on par with food I have had at the Culinary Institute of America. The level of noise--other tables and music--often made it difficult for me to hear making me wonder if the location was more suitable for pub-style food. HOWEVER, it was a busy Saturday night and to have a restaurant full in the middle of an otherwise sleepy town makes up for that. Again, the food was all prepared with great flavor and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to NinaFood4TDBDined on 4/20/2014We visited Nina for the 1st time on Easter Sunday. We were at first disappointed that we could only have Brunch but upon questioning the waitress we were able to have lunch/dinner which started in 5 minutes. The Prix Fix menu had good choices and we will definitely return to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicehughDined on 4/19/2014Food was very good. Wine offering a little lacking. We asked for Fish Special to be cooked in Olive Oil and not Butter and they could not do that for us. We asked to have bill on one card and tip on another card and they would not do that either. But, the food is very good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningzarmDined on 4/18/2014Reserved online, requested a corner table. Received my request, nice setting, server friendly dishes a little pricey. Food was good, chicken was a little dry. Will return again, this was my fourth visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014WE always enjoy our time at Nina's. Food is great, service is polite, non-intrusive and timely. Never fails to satisfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place great serviceDamoDined on 4/4/2014Food is great. Service was better George was the best server i ever had. He was always there funny and rememberable but not overwhelming. Middletown needs more places like this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?LetdownDined on 3/23/2014We have eaten here several times before, and loved it. We made reservations and arrived on time. There was nobody at the host stand or behind the bar, although patrons were seated there. We waited more than 10 minutes for a server to come by. She told us it would take about 15 minutes for a table to be ready, and pointed us to the couches by the bar to wait. She went to talk to the patrons at the bar, then disappeared again. Several people finished their meals and left, still no table for us by 7:00, at which point I went to look for a server myself, and told her we would not be staying. Nobody made an effort to explain or even acknowledge any issue, and completely ignored us. This visit left a bad taste in our mouths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine!LmartiniDined on 3/21/2014We took advantage of the price given for restaurant wk because this restaurant is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedgrancyDined on 3/20/2014We had a 7:00 reservation. It was restaurant week and they were very short staffed. Not seated until 7:15. Portions for restaurant were much smaller than regular menu. Food was just ok. My scallops tasted like they had been cooked in canned soup and they were quite sandy. The first order of gelato needed to be sent back, it was inedible. Only one wait person for entire dining room. Might go back again, but not during restaurant week.
- What happened to brunch?2porkchopsDined on 3/16/2014Normally a destination for a great dinner, brunch last Sunday was a disappointment. Service was spotty, main dishes did not come out at the same time (they were barely warm when they did), and the cappuccino machine was on the fritz. Our waiter was either having a bad day or was practicing to be a doctor with no bedside manner. We have dined here many times and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but bringing friends for the first time for a leisurely Sunday meal hardly impressed them. This restaurant can do better.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseBigblueDined on 3/15/2014We were in the area and checked for a restaurant that was close by and Nina's popped up. They had good reviews so we gave them a try. We ordered the Terrine appetizer and it was outstanding. The Coco Vin and Halibut special were equally delicious. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.