255 Courtland Street, NE 30th Floor
Atlanta, GA 30303Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nikolaisroof.com/
- Phone: 4042216362x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephanie Alderete
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wine
- Entertainment: Nikolai’s Roof bar/lounge offers classic cocktails, a cozy ambiance and a small plate menu. The only thing smoother than dinner and drinks at Nikolais’ is the cozy embrace of our Lounge – where the mood is always comfortably stylish and undeniably cool.
Open 5 p.m. until Midnight Tuesday through Saturday.
A word from Nikolai's Roof
Nikolai’s Roof is a AAA Four Diamond restaurant and the epitome of modern/contemporary at its best. Delight in the option of a three, four or six course menu with wine pairings or an innovative ala carte menu. Enjoy intense flavors and tastes, fresh ingredients, and an elegant ambiance with a view overlooking Atlanta's starlit skyline.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Nikolai's Roof - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Nikolai's Roof reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (45)romantic (38)special occasion (35)notable wine list (19)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great atmosphere but...KandSDined on 8/16/2014We arrived on time. Great views and setting. We ordered the 3 course meal and it took an hour to receive our starters. My duck entree was really tough and the side was nothing but flavored nuts. Two hours in and still waiting on dessert. Nonetheless, I had great company.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Except for the exceptional view and pleasant wait staff I would not recommend it.
- DiScerningtastecriticThetruthVIPDined on 8/13/2014Not near like the original Restaurant! Not real gourmet and limited choices.Special Features:
- Great food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Well the food at Nikolai's Roof was outstanding. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Service was very good although a bit understated. The servers seemed timid. The host was not friendly, on post, or up to my expectations in any other way. The restaurant itself is bland. The decor reminds me of an office park, from the plain walls to the tacky wall-to-wall carpeting. It was very bright, not giving much of a romantic mood. Also, the open floor plan made it exceptionally loud. The restaurant has a high ceiling and given its hotel top location, you might expect a terraced type seating arrangement. No, if you are seated next to a window, you are out of luck. But the food was definitely great.Special Features:
- great3generationDined on 8/1/2014Great food, but the server could do better. The hostess really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Great, Service was SlowdavidDined on 7/31/2014I enjoyed the Lamp chops and Divers Scallops. Great view. Service was horrible, only 3 tables occupied when we arrived, waiter was slow, no manager came to our table, food took too long to come out. Would not come back . Other than that , it was Great.Special Features:
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We went there for our anniversary and had a great time Reservation was easy and user friendly and service and food was great Just the people at the bar side were very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much has changedKevinHDined on 7/30/2014Nikolai's recently reopened after significant renovations. The food was excellent. Service was good, albeit very slow. It's nice not to feel rushed for a romantic multi-course dinner, but there were times that we found ourselves waiting too long for a server. The new decor makes for a louder environment than the grand red and gold Nikola's of the past. Part of the noise was from one large party, but there were times when it felt like a bar and we were not able to have a conversation across the table.Special Features:
- Great for special romantic dinnerFmrmxerDined on 7/30/2014The view is very, very nice. The ambiance makes Nikolai's the perfect place to for a romantic occasion. The food and service was very good as well. The only drawback of note is the exorbitant price of some, but not all, of the dishes. Granted, the view and ambiance don't come free. Still, some of what we had seemed only slightly expensive, while other dishes were to the point of ridiculous. All-in-all, our visit was a great experience. I highly recommend you give Nikolai's a try, just be prepared to spend a little extra. One additional note...we visited on a Wednesday night, and there was no crowd.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerMcnasty1VIPDined on 7/23/2014I recently celebrated my birthday at Nikolai's with my parents and girlfriend. It was our first time there. I have dined at some of the best restaurants in this country (i.e. Bern's in Tampa, Del Frisco in nyc, Bar Americain etc) and Nikolai's food and service was right up there with the best of them. Our waiter, Vassil (spelling?) was spot on, and provide top notch service. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014We went to have a new experience and we defiantely got one. The setting was very quiet and there were only a few other families dining at the time. It was comforatable and had a great view. I would love go back with my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKcarefreeDined on 7/12/2014There is a great view, although restaurant does not face west for sunset. It was a little warm and food was ok. Sweet waiter but overall just an OK experience.
- Service was great!Ule4Dined on 7/12/2014The food was a bit on the pricey end. Wasn't that thrilled that we had to pay $9 for water. Our waiter was excellent and overall it was a great choice for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Nikolai'sEating2niteDined on 7/12/2014This was my first visit after hearing rave reviews. The Food was great but to not have proper air conditioning in a restaurant of this caliber was very disappointing. The folks I came with had been to Nikolai's before and the service experience of the past was not the same this time and that experience from the past was what made Nikolai's. Sad to say I would not go back.
- Top Notch ServiceJfp1bnDined on 7/7/2014Reservation was at 8:30. I became a bit nervous when we arrived as there were only four other tables occupied as that is never a good sign. Thought, did I make a mistake deciding to stay in the hotel? Well the answer clearly became no. I made a great choice. The service was spot on, the food was excellent and the ambiance perfect. Strongly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Unforgettable Experience!RachelCVIPDined on 7/4/2014Phenomenal. That word describes the view, the food, and the service here. It was renovated recently and reopened in 2014 with a new look and a new chef. This place is a must!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-MakeSuccessful!ATLfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have been going to Nikolai's roof for our wedding anniversary for over 20 years. So, we were a bit concerned about the major makeover that was undertaken over the past year. Needless worry! The food remains outstanding, the service is impeccable and the new atmosphere is light, yet elegant. They kept most of the best of the old menu and have added new flare with the switch to "New American/French with a touch of Russian". Do not miss out on the flavored vodkas or the souffle! Atlanta's foodies need to re-discover this incredible gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite the same Nikolai'svegasguyDined on 6/24/2014The good news is that the food and the service at Nikolai's is as impeccable as every time I have ever visited. You must eat here at least once in your life despite the paragraph below. The service cannot be topped and the food is some of the very best I have eaten in my entire life! The chef's tasting menu is highly recommended. Unfortunately they closed Nikolai's for three months last year to do a giant renovation on what used to be a classy looking space. The result? The ugliest dining room I have seen in years: black travertine slabs amongst Miami Beach style textured glass tiles covering the columns. The ambience has nose-dived since the re opening. Worst is that they spent a fortune on this now tacky room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everAmazingfoodDined on 6/20/2014Beautiful view of downtown Atlanta. Food was very delicious a few surprises complements of the chef made the evening even betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful viewGoCanesDined on 6/19/2014I needed a place with a view, ambience, and excellent food. This restaurant delivered and I was very pleased with the excellent service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014Good food, but they could turn on the air. A little hot......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tradition continuesTraditionDined on 6/7/2014We have been guests at Nikolai's since 1978. We have celebrated many birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions. This last weekend we traveled from our home in the North Georgia mountains to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary--our first time to see the restaurant since renovation. We miss the opulent Russian atmosphere and Old World traditions but the experience and food are a new phenomena. Our special commendation goes to our attendant, Danielle. She has a magnificent smile, friendly attitude and did a marvelous job making our occasion memorable. Great job, Nikolai's!Special Features:
- Best meal I've had on AtlantaOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/7/2014Service and food were delicious from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyed ever minute there. Kudos to our waiter, Vassil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceNardoDined on 6/7/2014The view, the appetizers and the entrees were all excellent. The desserts, however were better than excellent! Grand Marnier soufflé and Sweet corn creme brûlée to die for. Also, don't miss out on the almond macaroons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience of my life.MarlowdaDined on 6/4/2014Every aspect of our experience was perfect. The atmosphere was very romantic, modern, and sophisticated. The food was mind blowing. My girlfriend and I have been to many of Atlanta's top-rated restaurants and so far no entrée can even compare to the Oven Roasted Lamb Chops. Additionally, the appetizers and desserts were truly remarkable. Each course was overwhelmingly perfect. I will return as often as I can afford to. Although the meal was expensive, it was not overpriced by any means – in fact, after eating each course, I was surprised that it did not cost significantly more. I have serious doubts as to whether or not I will ever have a better meal before I die; however, if that ever happens it will likely be at Nikolai's Roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexpliciable satisfactionromancticDined on 5/29/2014Words alone simply cannot express the degree to which we have experienced complete and utter satisfaction each time we have visited Nikolai's Roof. Our a la carte captain, Vassil, was a remarkable host whose welcoming presence enhanced the exquisite dining experience. The chef's attentiveness to our individual preferences once again confirmed the passion this restaurant has for each customer that graces this establishment. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great 27th AnniversaryDnJ27thDined on 5/24/2014We celebrated our 10th, 15th, and now our 27th here. Everything was great minus the air conditioning issue. We will be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Service was first class! Food was amazing! Will go again....Special Features:
- SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2014For an old dinosaur, this is something worthwhile. A little pricey (just a little). But I would rather pay for this view than one of the more trendy newer Buckhead restaurants and look at a street full of cars while I dine. Or, what's so good about eating in a converted old warehouse or factory? The food actually exceeded our expectations. Very flavorful. From the moment we pulled up for the complimentary valet parking until our departure we were treated like royalty. Very customer focused and they made it clear they were glad we chose to eat there. And we're foodies. But not snobs. I'll go back again when I want to feel special. We were pleasantly surprised with everything!Special Features:
- Good not great!GiveittimeDined on 5/10/2014Nice view, quiet, and romantic but food is good but not great. Service was very good. All in all, I would not make a concerted effort to fight traffic and make the pilgrimage down town just to eat at Nikolai's Roof.Special Features:
- ConowalromancticDined on 5/9/2014From the amazing food to the outstanding service and atmosphere, this is one of best restaurants that I have ever visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Chiefgreatdining4sureDined on 4/26/2014Staff was very friendly, upbeat, present and knowledgeable about choice of food and drink. Chief's dishes were very pleasing to the palate and unusual. Never would have thought crab meat and sweet potato could complement each other so well. Good presentation! Great service!Special Features:
- Early Mothers Day Surprise!JohnnyDined on 4/26/2014Excellent evening. My wife and I were very pleased with the service and cuisine. We will be back several times. We were celebrating an early Mothers Day for my wife. Our thanx to Daniel and his great staff. The infused vodka was a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better and better!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Nikolai's was one of our favorite Atlanta restaurants before, but since reopening after the renovations they have somehow found a way to take things to an even higher level. What was great is now wonderful. Kudos to all at Nikolai's. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 601 reviews are from the Nikolai's Roof reviews archive.
- WHY did we wait sooooo long????CockaRoachDined on 4/19/2014My friend (now wife) and I dined here 35 years ago for my Birthday. My wife just brought me back for my 60+ Birthday at Nikolai's Roof. We were first greeted by the Daniel and he took us to our table with a "spectacular view" of the City. For starters, I had the grilled octopus which the 'Best' since I lived in Naples, Italy. My wife enjoyed the Beet salad for her appetizer, and the Beef Tenderloin for her next course. I jumped on the roasted lamb chops (P-E-R--F-E-C-T) The Creme Brulee and Chocolate Mousse desserts with Cappuccino completed our perfect meal. The drinks and wine were GREAT. Our waiter and back-servers were 'Outstanding' and very attentive. We Both had a DELICIOUS meal that we still talk about weeks later. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an EXPERIENCE!FoodDudeVIPDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I took a 'stay-cation' in downtown Atlanta to celebrate her birthday and for making the dean list. What a surprise as course after course, each dish kept getting better! I travel extensively across the US and have enjoyed many 4 to 5 star meals and this one ranks at the top! Great food, fantastic and helpful service, very nice view, and the perfect place to unwind. If you go, I recommend you do so for the 'foodie' experience and get the 6-course just to try many items on the menu. Well done chef and staff! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAtlvisitorVIPDined on 4/11/2014Loved the new decor, but missed the red jackets on the staff. Thanks to all who helped make it a special night for us. This was our 5th visit over 27 years and like the changes to the menu options. Soufflés are still awesome. Lamb was great. The prouski's (sp?) have shrunk over the years to a tiny morsel...only complaint. All the wines by the glass were fine. And the sunset view was great. Hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- locationamynDined on 4/5/2014Location is the only thing that's good. Rest there's nothing too expensive and not alot of options with not enough quantity of mealSpecial Features:
- Hadn't to the "roof" for 15JohnDined on 4/3/2014Hadn't to the "roof" for 15 years and wow had the decor changed. The old world Russian atmosphere had given way to a sterile eclectic venue. A bit disappointing. However, the food, service, chilled vodka and oh the view were still amazing!Special Features:
- Wonderful for special occasionsMrslovetodineDined on 3/29/2014My husband booked reservations for date night. We had an awesome experience! From the moment we entered until we walked out! The staff is very attentive & the food was divine! If you are a lamb lover, try the lamb it was delectable! The vodka is a must! I'd definitely go back again & again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.