Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill
83 Spring Street
Seattle, WA 98104Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nijosushi.com/
- Phone: (206) 340-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy hour: Daily: 4:00pm - 7:00pm and 10:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us directly for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us directly for more details.
- Entertainment: Lounge music on Friday and Saturday after 10pm.
A word from Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill
Welcome to Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill. We offer the highest quality seafood, prepared in both traditional and cutting edge styles. A large selection of sake and wine is available in our full service cocktail bar. We are open late with ongoing events and have a daily happy hour.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (13)hot spot (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (8)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- ExcellentMukilteoVIPDined on 11/12/2014Ordered off the HH and Anniversary menu. Food and service were both very good. Edwin was out waiter, he provided excellent service! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Great selection of sushi and drinks. I would go here again.Special Features:
- jeffjenDined on 10/25/2014Good sushi, fish was very fresh and sushi chefs quick with the orders. Portions generous and good value as well as flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group LunchDebbieDined on 10/22/2014We had a welcome lunch for a new employee along with a good to see you lunch for an employee that retired a couple of months ago. Did the reservation late morning requesting a table be set up for 8 people. Reservations were for noon however, we were there by 11:45 am and everything was ready for us. Waitress was very attentive in taking our orders, making sure our water glasses were filled and checking to make sure that we didn't need anything else on and off during the lunch. Everyone ordered a different menu item and everyone agreed the food was great. Everyone also loved the cucumber flavored water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Goodluv2eatDined on 10/14/2014There were four in our party. We all raved about our meal--chef's selection on the sushi platter, udon, bento. Definitely will return. Price was very reasonable. There is a parking lot close nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SushimattsalzanoDined on 10/4/2014LOVED this place. Found it on a whim while spending the day in Seattle and was so pleased. Get the red dragon and frank and beans -- so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, Fresh, FreshTalkhardbeheardVIPDined on 9/8/2014Sushi here is always top-notch. I find that the fish is always the right temperature, the right consistency, and delicious. Prices are standard. Best roll there isn't on the menu, and not always available: the Lobster Roll. As for it, and if they can make it, you will not be disappointed. Don't be dissuaded by the name "Franks and Beans." That's the best on-menu roll. Nigiri and Sashimi are amazing. Friendly staff, and very relaxed atmosphere. Love early lunch there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very delicious sushi downtown!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014We were looking for sushi downtown - nijo did not disappoint! A wide selection of rolls well prepared with fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi downtownMegjoyoDined on 8/22/2014I eat lunch at Nijo on a regular basis and always enjoy the food. The bento boxes are pretty massive and are guaranteed to fill you up. The one issue with Nijo is that the service can be pretty slow. It is a good place for work lunches, but not if you only have an hour.Special Features:
- Good Happy HourstatstephDined on 8/14/2014Went during happy hour and many options for drinks and sushi rolls. Friend and I split two rolls and an appetizer of edamame. Good rolls. Edamame may have been a bit too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drinks!ritzygypsyDined on 8/7/2014Met a few friends here for happy hour. The takoyaki was amazing!!! Great drinks and sushi, too! Service was very friendly but slow; they were totally slammed, though, so I wasn't surprised and we didn't mind.Special Features:
- Ups and downsThetasteDined on 8/6/2014Location is great, I had Edamame, Gyoza and Calamari. First two were great. The Calamari needs improving. It was chewy, sauce was not plentiful and it looked thrown together last minute. Taste of it was pretty bland. I had Katsu Udon. It was alright, but tasted like a bimbimbap overcooked so I wasn't impressed. Now the Sushi which is the spicy tuna and fire roll were delicious and had a great display with sugar cubes splashed with 151 set ablazed ontop a lime. But not edible. Drinks were well made which was a shock. Other than that a okay dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 245 reviews are from the Nijo Sushi Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Cool Spot Nestled AwayShiftDriftDreamDined on 7/18/2014Honestly only found this place because of Open Table; it's away from the bustle of 1st Avenue, tucked into an alley entrance with a small patio seating area. The hostess was nice enough to change my reservation to outside (you have to request it otherwise they stick you indoors) with minimal fuss. The food was good, though we were there for happy hour, so it wasn't incredibly inspired (standard Seattle sushi options). the food was still good, just not unique or memorable. Though I highly recommend the tofu/avocado spring rolls -- they taste like a lightly whipped cream cheese.Special Features:
- Good sushi & sashimiWillF34Dined on 7/17/20144 stars is a little higher than it probably deserves, depending on how you rate restaurants but definitely deserves better than 3 stars. Sushi & sashimi very fresh and very good. Presentation could use work though. The cuts of nigiri sashimi were randomly shaped. The appetizers were good with the exception of the crispy chicken with a sweet chili sauce. Restaurant was very attractive and staff were friendly. Overall it was a decent value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice patio, but...hurricanekatieDined on 7/10/2014I chose this restaurant for the outdoor seating. I was running about 10 minutes behind and the table was held for us so that was nice. After being seated though, it took 20 minutes for our waitress to come out and acknowledge us, and even then I had to flag her down. The food was pretty good, though a little pricey for the size of the nigiri. I liked the ambience, but the ambivalence of the staff is enough to keep me from coming back.Special Features:
- GREAT food and Happy staffLizzieDined on 7/3/2014we were there on a very crowded holiday weekend but the staff -- who was visibly busy -- made a great effort to be personal and friendly. and the food was awesome.Special Features:
- Great sushi, spotty service.SC108VIPDined on 6/18/2014As a caveat I'll preface my review by saying I've only been to Nijo for lunch. Never for dinner or happy hour. That said, I think Nijo has some of the better sushi available in Seattle, but I have never had anything but mediocre/bad service there. I've been a handful of times, and it's always quite slow. Usually we only see the waiter/waitress twice: to take our order and give us our check. There is no attempt to explain the specials of the day, the menu, or really anything. Usually the wait to order is quite a long one.Special Features:
- Good Japanese for LunchGregorioDined on 6/3/2014Although it is a Japanese restaurant, we had kalbi ribs, which were very good. Not saying much because you just need to get the soy sauce right to make kalbi acceptable. Otherwise, a lot of variety on the menu. Most of the focus in this small place is on the sushi bar and the regular bar space. Still, it is good for lunch, particularly if you like the intimacy of dark spaces. The service was competent; the greeting at the door was perfunctory.Special Features:
- OK food and OK serviceluvfoodnwineDined on 5/31/2014It was a decent place to have a drink and late dinner. Nothing stood out as particularly delicious or superb. The spicy tuna roll was the best thing I ate there.Special Features:
- good lunch placespearoDined on 5/30/2014poke was a little disappointing, not bad but pretty average. fish quality was adequate and seasoning on the bland side. sockeye salmon sashimi was great, but it should be in Seattle at this time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy VisitorketchupsoupVIPDined on 5/25/2014I grew up in Seattle area and moved to Chicago. Came back for a visit to stumble upon this place on OpenTable. What a great find! I was surprised at how reasonable it is for being downtown. They have a nice little patio and the inside was very welcoming. I have to say that I think it may have been the best service that I have had in a sushi restaurant. I cant wait to come back to visit Seattle and Nijo!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding for Out of TownersSpecialDined on 5/7/2014This hidden gem is located off an alley not too far from the ferry terminal. The old Seattle feel of brick and basics provided a great ambience for a business or social lunch as well as for groups. The service was prompt, helpful (as we struggled to select from the ample sushi menu) and the presentation was excellent. They even had a good selection of bento box lunch options for the non-sushi crowd.Special Features:
- Solid Sushi placeJohnDined on 4/12/2014Good sushi at a decent price near the waterfront. Not the best sushi I have had but I wouldn't mind going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!CameronDined on 4/10/2014I came in for a 3 course dinner for restaurant week. I had to wait an hour for my date but my server was pleasant and very courteous. Service was great. The poke salad was quite a delicious surprise! I had never had a salad made of raw fish before. Excellent! The sushi and nigiri were also very good as well. The lychee dessert that my date had was PHENOMENAL! We had a wonderful evening and appreciated the great attention to detail. :) ~CamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourWildGingerDined on 3/14/2014This is a decent sushi spot for happy hour that isn't as crowded as some of the others. The albacore salad is one of my favorite items on the menu so far. Easy to get a reservation last minute and you can normally even be sat earlier if you happen to arrive sooner than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy Happy HourFoodie4everDined on 3/10/2014This was our first time going to Nijo for happy hour. We ordered a whole bunch of plates and everything tasted amazing! Our favorites were takoyaki, Seattle tempura, and vegetable Croquettes. The yam fries, gyoza, lychee spritzer, and avocado egg rolls were good too. The only dish that was slightly disappointing was the skewered beef, which was a little tough and lacked flavor. All in all, we were very impressed. I definitely want to go back and try the dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New NijoDinemanDined on 3/8/2014Been away for a few years, an original really good chief was hired back, so we went back. The poke was OK, couldn't see the edemame through the salt, sweet shrimp was over battered, all the feelers were broken off, the rolls heavy on rice and sauce, blue fin was pretty good. Our waitress was young, abrupt, inattentive with no understanding of food or dining. I'm sad to say what was once a top flight sushi bar offering good atmosphere and cocktails is now a loud 20 something drinking destination with sushi.
- Some of the best sushi in town!MChammerDined on 3/8/2014The food is excellent here - the fish has a really great texture that I haven't seen in many other locations. I have never had a single bad plate from this place. Their basic rolls/nigiri are fresh and the flashier rolls are typical Seattle sushi restaurant fare but also good. The last time I was here the service was a little TOO enthusiastic - the waitress barely let us sit down before asking about drinks, and I swear my water was refilled every time I took a sip. It was distracting enough from the conversation with my date that I took a star away - while it's better than some places where you're left wondering where your server went, I would prefer a bit more breathing room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDeniseVDined on 3/8/2014The sushi is the best I've ever had in Washington. From Spokane to Tri-Cities I've had them all. I will definitely be returning next time I'm in Seattle.Special Features:
- On the waterfront..OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/7/2014If you are looking for an authentic Japanese sushi experience this hotbed of Americanized rolls is not for you, but that does not mean the quality was not above average. For what they do, Njjo does it very well -- and they do rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite. Best happyHanselDined on 2/15/2014Always a favorite. Best happy hour in town when it comes to premium Sushi. Easily in top 5 for seattle for sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereTravisDined on 2/15/2014Wanted a to go get some sushi from Umi, of course their tables were booked solid. I found this little gem on yelp and am happy I ended up here. The food was great, the service was good and the atmosphere was excellent. I had crab and shrimp sushi and a house salad, my girlfriend had vegetarian sushi rolls. They were very good. My only complaint is that the portion size could have been a few pieces larger. It is a place for a romantic dinner date, which is what I had. I will be back here very soon. That being said there was a family two tables over and they looked very happy to be there also. Nice sushi bar as well as a drinks bar. Overall solid dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wait staff was great.JBuiDined on 2/14/2014The wait staff was great. Made our accommodations without any hesitation. Food was fresh, tasted great and the wine, recommended by the bartender, was perfect.Special Features:
- Good fish - hefty priceJosephDined on 2/14/2014The food was great, the service was fast, but the price tag was too high in my opinion. We went there for valentine's day so the cost was expected, but I wouldn't go there for anything other than a special occasion.Special Features:
- Was lucky to be able to makeAdiuDined on 2/14/2014Was lucky to be able to make a reservation for Valentine's Day and had a great night! Since it was our first time at the restaurant we didn't know what to expect but we had a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi and good serviceJamesDined on 2/7/2014I am not a sushi connoisseur by any means but I thought the spider rolls in particular were delicious. If you are looking for a place to try sushi for the first time this would be a great place. They had a decent variety of roll types. The service was also either than I expected. On a busy Friday night I had budgeted quite a bit of time for dinner before I had to be to a show and I ended up having to kill time later because the service was quicker than I expected. We were in and out in under an hour, including an appetizer, dessert, and the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- that's oklovesushiDined on 2/6/2014The restaurant has a nice architecture and decoration. The girls who work there are nice but not too nice. The food is okay, but it doesn't make me that impression. I would recommend it for a group of people who just want to go out and have some fun. I'm not impressed. LovesushiSpecial Features:
- We reserved a table for fiveDebbieDined on 2/6/2014We reserved a table for five and ended up coming in needing a table for seven. The staff quickly added another table to the one already set up for us. Staff was very attentive and our food was served pretty quick. Most of us ordered different items but they were all served withing a minute or two from the first part of the order being served so we could all eat together and nobody had to watch the others eating while waiting for their food to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour SushisupertasterDined on 1/25/2014This place has a good Happy Hour. Great selection of sushi and sashimi for good prices. Try their Lychee martini--$5.00 at HH. My husband and I were very hungry, so we ended up ordering a lot of food. Their HH is small portions, so if you are hungry, prepare to order a lot. It ended up costing us more than we might have paid for just dinner. The only thing we didn't like was the yam fries--they were not cooked all the way. If they would have been fully cooked, they would have been good!Special Features:
- No fuss sushi and barpamahughesDined on 1/18/2014The crowd was eclectic with all age groups and everything from dressy to jeans in the mix. The atmosphere is friendly, energetic and the place had a neighborhood feel, although it is located at 83 Spring Street. The drinks were fun and imaginative and the sushi was good, not great. One caveat, I am gluten free and have to modify dishes accordingly. Some sushi places are oriented this way, this one was not, but they were accommodating. In the end, that may have made my food less enjoyable than it would have been had they had an intentionally gluten free offering. The service was pleasant and attentive. Overall, it was a great evening and I would go back.Special Features: